Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jjack229 posted:

Found out that I have a bunch of wasps or hornets in the siding under our bay windows:

Anybody have any experience or recommendations.

I do not feel comfortable going up there on a ladder

https://www.domyown.com/stryker-wasp-and-hornet-killer-p-19247.html?pdpv=2

jjack229 posted:

I plan to go around the house this summer and patch up the cracks and little holes in the siding with caulk. Any thoughts on how to patch a hole that big? I have another one of similar size near ground level where my Gary routed his satellite cables through the siding and foundation.

You're going to want to stuff the larger holes with a piece of hardware cloth trimmed to fit, then caulk over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

jjack229 posted:

Found out that I have a bunch of wasps or hornets in the siding under our bay windows:

I'm no help on your questions, but that siding is tripping me out. Is there a name for that 'drip' kind of look?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's "wavy edge"/"mock live edge" cedar. Nice stuff, much better than actual live edge as far as longevity goes and you still get the look and only weirdos like me notice the difference.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I initial went with a foam instead of a spray, thinking it would cover over the opening and/or better yet, make it through the opening and foam up behind it where they live. However, I found if I applied too much it would droop off the siding and fall to the ground and I couldn't tell if any was making it through.

I wondered about trying a spray instead, but I don't even know where the nest is in relation to the opening and if I need to hit the nest directly to be effective in killing everything.

Motronic posted:

You're going to want to stuff the larger holes with a piece of hardware cloth trimmed to fit, then caulk over it.

I haven't heard that term before, but it looks like it is [url=https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Composites-Fencing-Hardware-Cloth-Fencing/N-5yc1vZcd55]a metal or plastic mesh[url]? I take it the idea is to give something for the caulk to adhere to? I think I have some laying around, so that should be easy.

Sloppy posted:

I'm no help on your questions, but that siding is tripping me out. Is there a name for that 'drip' kind of look?

I had never noticed it on a house before we bought this one, but I do kind of like how it looks compared to the simple straight edge that I have seen before on cedar siding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jjack229 posted:

I initial went with a foam instead of a spray, thinking it would cover over the opening and/or better yet, make it through the opening and foam up behind it where they live. However, I found if I applied too much it would droop off the siding and fall to the ground and I couldn't tell if any was making it through.

I wondered about trying a spray instead, but I don't even know where the nest is in relation to the opening and if I need to hit the nest directly to be effective in killing everything.

That's okay, the stuff I linked has a lot of residual. So you just need to get it where they come in and out, and they will do the rest by carrying it back there from touching it.

jjack229 posted:

I haven't heard that term before, but it looks like it is [url=https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Composites-Fencing-Hardware-Cloth-Fencing/N-5yc1vZcd55]a metal or plastic mesh[url]? I take it the idea is to give something for the caulk to adhere to? I think I have some laying around, so that should be easy.

Yes, you want the metal stuff and buy a pair of metal clippers/shears so you can cut it easily. Part of it is for something for the caulk to adhere to, but part of it is that pests (like mice) can't eat through it the way they can eat through caulk, plastic, spray foam, etc.

Caulk shrinks as it dries, so for the bigger holes just go light for your first coat. Get it closed up but don't bother trying to bring it up to the surface level exactly. Then go out in the nest day or three and apply another coat to get it closer to level with your siding.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Motronic posted:

What does an apartment have to do with this, unless you're using that to mean "I rent" in which case you should do nothing other than call your property management or landlord.

Yeah . . . given that they've tried at least twice to hang this specific shade up, I figured I'd try my hand at it and see what happens.

Your answer is quite literally the correct one, but I figure for this one I'll see if I can't try something slightly more secure.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PitViper posted:

As an aside, what are everyone's thoughts on tiling up to a vanity, vs pulling the vanity and tiling wall to wall? Our hall bath upstairs is wall-to-wall vanity/cabinet along one side, and pulling it out would be a bitch of a job. I know the current floor doesn't extend under the vanity and cabinet, so I'm resisting the urge to pull it and thinking I should just tile from the vanity out.

I actually feel strongly that you should tile under the vanity. Gives a solid and complete tile floor, and the tiles at the base of the vanity are whole tiles so you don't see a cut edge, and/or you don't have a shoe molding. Also if your sink leaks you've got a modicum of protection for longer.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Or you could do what our Gary did and tile up to the edge of the vanity and then proceed to not use shoe molding.

Love seeing that cut edge all the time.

I actually don't know if Gary did it or if it was built this way. Not sure what's more fun... blaming things on lovely builders or on lovely POs.

Edit: derp, the shower and tub surround have matching tile, and there's no way it was a reno, So lovely builders it is!

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 7, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

PitViper posted:

Or you could do what my last Gary did, which is put the tile OVER the vinyl floor, and cut it around the toilet (and vanity). That was at least an easy demo.

Oh hey, what's up pal. I have this in my master bathroom and the downstairs half :hfive:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I cleaned the bathroom sinks, and realized I'd left some residue on the metal ring around the drain plug. Wiped it with my finger, suddenly blood everywhere. I barely even felt it, so I was freaked out when I saw it. The metal flange that fits around the actual drain plug was razor-sharp to the point that wiping it slit my finger open.

I can't even blame Gary for this one, because Gary did no maintenance whatsoever and certainly didn't install a razor-sharp sink fixture. I'm gonna blame Bob the Builder for this one.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Shifty Pony posted:

The resin leads to the only downside of quartz: you can burn it if you put a very hot pot directly onto it.
It's also incredibly hazardous to work, above and beyond other countertop materials since it's just a shitton of loose crystalline quartz in resin. People processing it are getting silicosis at alarming rates and Australia at least is working on a total ban. Granite would present some of the same risks but apparently this stuff being almost pure silica has noticeably increased rates.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That sucks to see, especially given how easily silica exposure can be completely mitigated as a health hazard.

I really hate how lax industry is about airborne particles and PPE.

Hell even that Cambria promotional video above has a guy polishing/grinding the countertop with his maskless face right next to the tool. It appears to be wet polishing and the guy looks like a model for the PR shot, but still it isn't a good look.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

jjack229 posted:

If you do end up taking that piece off, there are cavities in bay or bow windows for insulation.

When I installed them we did them so infrequently we usually forgot to bring the fiberglass insulation and it haunts me to this day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crimp cap on a copper pipe is fine when installed correctly? Until 20 minutes ago I thought you just had to solder it.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?
I'm in the market for a full house exterior stucco replacement (knock off the old, fully replace with new). 1940's house in NM with old cement stucco that's held up very well, given the age. Anyone have thoughts on cement vs synthetic? Cement quotes are about 10% cheaper and it generally looks good. Supposedly more prone to cracking, but the house is very settled. Any reason I should go with a synthetic blend?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Looks like some birds took up residence inside my house. What's the best course to take care of the problem?

DTaeKim fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 8, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DTaeKim posted:

Looks like some birds took up residence inside my house. What's the best course to take care of the problem?

Tell them about the delicious cask of nectar you've got in that hole.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wait until winter, then repair the hole.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DTaeKim posted:

One way excluder, wait 72hrs or so for every bird to gtfo, then seal it up.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Anyone have any advice on shopping for homeowner's insurance? I've been with the same company ever since I bought my home (about 9 years ago). I don't remember how I ended up with them, but I think they were the option my realtor recommended. I've had to file several claims since buying my house, and while I haven't been unsatisfied with them, my rates have gone way up for my most recent renewal notice. I found some recommendations for brokers and companies on Nextdoor (I know), but I'm really out of my depth when it comes to this stuff. Any advice would be welcome.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mekyabetsu posted:

Anyone have any advice on shopping for homeowner's insurance? I've been with the same company ever since I bought my home (about 9 years ago). I don't remember how I ended up with them, but I think they were the option my realtor recommended. I've had to file several claims since buying my house, and while I haven't been unsatisfied with them, my rates have gone way up for my most recent renewal notice. I found some recommendations for brokers and companies on Nextdoor (I know), but I'm really out of my depth when it comes to this stuff. Any advice would be welcome.

We've been with Amica for over thirty years. The one time we had to file a claim, for a robbery, the claims agent kept saying "Surely you had more jewelry than that." (I didn't.) Point being, it would have been better for the company if he underestimated our possessions, but instead he was working to make sure the list was accurate. Amica also gets great ratings from consumer organizations.

e: Depending on where you live, a lot of homeowners have had their insurance costs soar this year. The insurers are hiking their rates in response to all the natural disaster/climate change policies they're paying out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shifty Pony posted:

One way excluder, wait 72hrs or so for every bird to gtfo, then seal it up.

Still a bad idea if they're nesting depending o the time of the year, as that's how you end up with dead baby birds trapped in your walls.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I'll get a ladder and peek inside, we haven't heard any birds chirp in a couple of weeks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mekyabetsu posted:

Find a local independent agent and let them shop the (hopefully) dozens of companies they work with for you. Google, chamber of commerce, local FB group should be able to recommend one. Key word independent.

FWIW though, everyone's insurance has gone up considerably the last 2 years or so. 30 to 40% increases in premiums are common, and you can almost consider yourself fortunate your insurer hasn't sent out a non renewal notice like many are. Costs are through the roof, insurance companies are losing a ton of money, and they're cutting back on business. Several claims on your record might make it difficult to find a new insurer.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
When we closed on our house last year our realtor recommended a independent insurance agent and I now recommend everyone to use one, they are awesome and saved me a little money while also answering a lot of questions and pointing out things I would've never thought of.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Find a local independent agent and let them shop the (hopefully) dozens of companies they work with for you. Google, chamber of commerce, local FB group should be able to recommend one. Key word independent.

FWIW though, everyone's insurance has gone up considerably the last 2 years or so. 30 to 40% increases in premiums are common, and you can almost consider yourself fortunate your insurer hasn't sent out a non renewal notice like many are. Costs are through the roof, insurance companies are losing a ton of money, and they're cutting back on business. Several claims on your record might make it difficult to find a new insurer.

Our independent agent saved us a couple grand this year after all the cost increases came out. That plus the time savings of not having to shop around myself made it incredibly worthwhile.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

Our independent agent saved us a couple grand this year after all the cost increases came out. That plus the time savings of not having to shop around myself made it incredibly worthwhile.

A couple grand???? Holy crap how expensive is your homeowners insurance? My entire policy is "a couple grand" a year on $900k main home/$90k other structures/$500k personal property.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DTaeKim posted:

I'll get a ladder and peek inside, we haven't heard any birds chirp in a couple of weeks.

Watch yourself. Be prepared for an explosion of feathers in your face.

I was up on my 8-footer checking a multi-unit birdhouse to clean out what looked like a hoarder's nest of material. I watched it off & on for days, and was sure it was vacant. Grabbed a handful & started pulling; they nearly blew me off the ladder.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Motronic posted:

A couple grand???? Holy crap how expensive is your homeowners insurance? My entire policy is "a couple grand" a year on $900k main home/$90k other structures/$500k personal property.

I overstated, it was almost $1k saved between home and auto policies. Home is $2.8k/year - an old roof limits our coverage options.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

I overstated, it was almost $1k saved between home and auto policies. Home is $2.8k/year - an old roof limits our coverage options.

Oh with multiple policies I can totally see being at a "couple grand saved" level with my homeowners/"investment property" (i.e. where my mom lives but it's not my primary residence so gently caress you we're counting it as a rental)/cars/umbrella left to sit for too long. I just went to double check I wasn't totally off base and my homeowners is $2400/year.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja we have insureds that have combined their home & auto insurance (New Jersey) and the premiums can run $3000-$7000 depending on what we're insuring/for how much coverage/how many vehicles.

We're currently paying $1300/year for $375K on the house, and I'm insuring an '05 Cayenne and a '00 Accord for $750/year, comprehensive & liability only.

The '66 Pontiac and '65 Econoline are insured with stated-value collision & comprehensive with a $100 deductible for $380.00 (antique insurance is cheap because the exposure to damage is minimal).

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
What's the best way to secure windows you want to keep cracked open at night? Stick in the sill the best method or something more involved?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DTaeKim posted:

The birds will leave on their own as soon as you stop storing cum in your walls

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm insuring an '05 Cayenne and a '00 Accord for $750/year, comprehensive & liability only.

The '66 Pontiac and '65 Econoline are insured with stated-value collision & comprehensive with a $100 deductible for $380.00 (antique insurance is cheap because the exposure to damage is minimal).

Ouch for me. 04 Cayenne, 13 Land Cruiser, 08 Impreza, 98 antique tagged Land Rover (only added $200/year) and I'm at $2400. Maybe I should shop again, but also.....I have a 16 year old and a 20 year old in the house so I'm probably just screwed.

Multiple insurance companies literally declined to insure the Cayenne specifically because it's a turbo. Not sure if that's because I had driving age kids, they know I'm an idiot and child who hoons, or whatever else.

Spikes32 posted:

What's the best way to secure windows you want to keep cracked open at night? Stick in the sill the best method or something more involved?

What do you mean by "secure"? Are you living somewhere that you should have bars over your windows?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Spikes32 posted:

Check and see if you windows have built in limit stops:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Motronic posted:

Ouch for me. 04 Cayenne, 13 Land Cruiser, 08 Impreza, 98 antique tagged Land Rover (only added $200/year) and I'm at $2400. Maybe I should shop again, but also.....I have a 16 year old and a 20 year old in the house so I'm probably just screwed.

Multiple insurance companies literally declined to insure the Cayenne specifically because it's a turbo. Not sure if that's because I had driving age kids, they know I'm an idiot and child who hoons, or whatever else.

What do you mean by "secure"? Are you living somewhere that you should have bars over your windows?

Nah no bars needed but I should probably not just leave windows cracked all night on the 1st floor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Stick in the sill is easy and probably the best option a lot of the time

You can use these if you're willing to drill holes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-Gray-Aluminum-Sliding-Patio-Door-Twist-Bolt-Lock-Sliding-Patio-Door-Twist-Bolt-Lock/3407852

The little clips that screw onto a window sill suck and don't really work

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I know we were talking about gas buildups in houses a while back, well this happened about 20 minutes from me. A friend of a family member lives about a dozen houses down and the blast took their shutters and screen door off.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/house-leveled-explosion-plum-borough-several-other-homes-damaged/SYWJ2BSDZBG5VKRIEZRPSXKP6U/

The house that exploded is completely gone, like literally just a crater. It seems like the houses on each side of it are pretty flattened as well, totally destroyed. Another dozen or so damaged. Three injured, one critically, and several unaccounted for.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 12, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In high school a girl was at home after school when the, I forget, pilot light on the water heater went out and resulting explosion didn't flatten the house but did pressurize the inside to the point that they couldn't open the doors to escape. They ended up having to break a window to get out. I guess the house mostly burnt down before the fire department arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If you have gas in your house you should do yourself a favor and install these near your gas appliances.

https://www.amazon.com/Nighthawk-Mo...s%2C118&sr=8-10