Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I don't know what Baldur's Gate's deal is (never really looked at it, because ehhhh D&D), but planetary / galaxy scale simulation games like HoI, Stellaris, and Rimworld loving big caches is not a surprise. Big sims have to walk through big in-memory databases of all the simulated objects quite a lot, so fitting more of that DB into cache can speed up the sim a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

this allusion meant posted:

noctua's adapters should allow you to offset mount, and that's more than good enough. reviews found the 7800x3d itself was using like 60w in games. you can maybe cap power target if you want but it's not relevant in games, only when doing full cpu load stuff

e: the other thing is 7000 series desktop parts seem to be substantially better than previous generations from anyone at going to the thermal limit and then running there, rather than throttling clocks by a large percentage, going down, and then going back up, which is the old behavior, and why we used to care a lot about making sure a cooler could not be saturated by cpu heat load, because avoiding that behavior by just downclocking and undervolting a little was way better performance than the throttle jerk dance. but actually nothing bad happens with zen4

Thats comforting to hear. I guess then, what I'd like to try to accomplish then, is getting temps low so the fan doesn't speed up as much?

As far as OC settings go, I left everything at stock besides voltage offset (which is set to 0.085)

Just so I have another pair of eyes on this, this means that the CPU is going to do its thing at 0.085v less than stock? (luckily there seems to be no way to force a positive voltage change, which is definitely something I don't want to do.) Would that be sufficient, or should I be doing anything on top of that? I left PBO2 stuff untouched.

I watched the PBO2 video again from Optimum Tech, but it brings up another question/potential misconception im having - a PBO negative offset reduces voltage, but it also tries to add more speed? Or is that another setting I have to mess with? I just want less voltage, I don't necessarily need extra performance from it.

Or am I looking at this all through the wrong lens? Could I just do a negative PBO2 offset (like -15 to start) and then leave everything else out for less speed/fan noise?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

buglord posted:

Thats comforting to hear. I guess then, what I'd like to try to accomplish then, is getting temps low so the fan doesn't speed up as much?

As far as OC settings go, I left everything at stock besides voltage offset (which is set to 0.085)

Just so I have another pair of eyes on this, this means that the CPU is going to do its thing at 0.085v less than stock? (luckily there seems to be no way to force a positive voltage change, which is definitely something I don't want to do.) Would that be sufficient, or should I be doing anything on top of that? I left PBO2 stuff untouched.

I watched the PBO2 video again from Optimum Tech, but it brings up another question/potential misconception im having - a PBO negative offset reduces voltage, but it also tries to add more speed? Or is that another setting I have to mess with? I just want less voltage, I don't necessarily need extra performance from it.

Or am I looking at this all through the wrong lens? Could I just do a negative PBO2 offset (like -15 to start) and then leave everything else out for less speed/fan noise?

Zen3 and onwards doesn't handle manual voltage offsets very gracefully, I'd leave that at default.

You can bring the power target down through PBO->PBO Limits->PPT Limit (and get some performance back with a PBO2 offset, if you want to deal with that) but you can also just set the fan curve to whatever you're comfortable with and let the boost algorithm do it's thing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Arzachel posted:

*snip* but you can also just set the fan curve to whatever you're comfortable with and let the boost algorithm do it's thing.

Yeah, if you just don’t want the fan to be so loud, I’d just change your fan curve so that the max fan speed is the loudest you want to tolerate and try that for a while. If the cpu doesn’t throttle its clocks, you’re good.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buglord posted:

Just so I have another pair of eyes on this, this means that the CPU is going to do its thing at 0.085v less than stock? (luckily there seems to be no way to force a positive voltage change, which is definitely something I don't want to do.)

If you had a regular ryzen it would have the option for positive offset voltage, but the X3D locks that out.

buglord posted:

TBQH if you mainly care about fan speed & noise, my advice would be to leave the voltage at stock and concentrate on your fan curves.

Voltage offsets... are tricky. You have to validate stability, and you also have to validate performance. Lower voltage may just result in the CPU doing weird things where you can end up with much less performance. I'm kinda meh on the whole negative voltage craze, particularly for anyone who is just looking for quick & easy tweaks rather than getting deep into an esoteric subject.

OTOH anyone with ears can move the fan speed dial back and forth and find some spots that seem to have good RPM-vs-noise tradeoffs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for the advice everyone. I’m away from the PC right now, but when I get back I’ll revert voltages to stock.

Something I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around are fan curves, and like the rest of the platform BIOS levers I’m probably conceptually misunderstanding them. Call me out if I have the wrong idea here.

A CPU cooler without a fan can do its job up until it gets saturated with heat, so if the heat source keeps dumping more heat it just gets hotter and hotter, right? Putting a fan on the fin stack removes heat and allows the metal to cool down when the processor load isn’t as high. So the higher the fan speed, the more you’re removing heat from the fin stack, so you get cooler temps. But if you start lowering the curve too much, would you get runaway temperatures because the CPU can never get itself to cool? Does the CPU just keep climbing until it hits a thermal limit then throttles back down? So at some point you’re actually hurting performance by having the fans too low?

Sorry for all the rambling Q’s I’m trying to wrap my head around this. I’ve had setups in the past where noise wasn’t a concern so I made my CPU fan curves run more aggressively so there wasn’t a downside to worry about. So coming at this from another angle is new and scary.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

That's basically on the money, especially with modern CPUs that love to draw power until they hit tjmax. Eventually you hit 90c and instead of the CPU getting hotter the performance just gets worse. It's also one of the reasons why dual tower coolers have gotten so popular - more thermal mass means you've got more headroom for heat to build up, and more surface area means you've got more avenues to get rid of it.

The big thing for fan curves is optimizing performance versus noise, if you're approaching ninety the fans should already be running full bore.

edit: maybe eco mode would calm things down a bit?

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 6, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You can always do a quick test by running a benchmark a few times with fans set to 100% and run it a few more times with it set to 50%. I’d bet you would only see like a 5-8% difference and only in all core workloads while lightly threaded workloads would be mostly unaffected.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

buglord posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’m away from the PC right now, but when I get back I’ll revert voltages to stock.

Something I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around are fan curves, and like the rest of the platform BIOS levers I’m probably conceptually misunderstanding them. Call me out if I have the wrong idea here.

A CPU cooler without a fan can do its job up until it gets saturated with heat, so if the heat source keeps dumping more heat it just gets hotter and hotter, right? Putting a fan on the fin stack removes heat and allows the metal to cool down when the processor load isn’t as high. So the higher the fan speed, the more you’re removing heat from the fin stack, so you get cooler temps. But if you start lowering the curve too much, would you get runaway temperatures because the CPU can never get itself to cool? Does the CPU just keep climbing until it hits a thermal limit then throttles back down? So at some point you’re actually hurting performance by having the fans too low?

Sorry for all the rambling Q’s I’m trying to wrap my head around this. I’ve had setups in the past where noise wasn’t a concern so I made my CPU fan curves run more aggressively so there wasn’t a downside to worry about. So coming at this from another angle is new and scary.

As Kibner said, to really push the CPU to max temp (it won't melt or damage it), use Cinebench. Run with the fan/fans at 100%, then 75%, then 50%. Watch the temps and see if there is a big difference.

It will also depend on the cooler you have. Make sure it is rated for the CPU. The 7800x3D has a TDP of 120 watts. Also they do tend to run just a touch hotter than their non-3D version due to that extra cache. Check the max wattage your CPU Cooler supports. If you have something that is rated right at 120 watts, then the fans would have to run more often and faster to evacuate the heat, where if you have a cooler rated for say 220 watts, there is more thermal mass, so the heat can be dissipated "easier". This would be an example of a single tower cooler vs. a dual tower cooler.

You might get a bit more noise reduction with a better fan. Some fans are just there to move air, that's it. Where some fans are made to be next to heat fins (whether those be a CPU Cooler or Radiator) and reduce the turbulence, thus reducing noise.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

buglord posted:

Due to the ever shrinking feature size and chiplets not having much dead silicon to spread the heat around, newer AMD CPUs are much more likely to be bottlebecked by heat transfer from the die to the cooler before getting anywhere close to saturation. Cranking the fan on an air cooler won't do much to help with this so it's worth experimenting with fan curves to see how much real performance are you losing (if any).

Fan Control and Argus Monitor (paid) are both good for software fan control if you don't feel like dealing with the BIOS fan curve implementations on your board.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just wish Fan Control wasn't an Electron app.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Do you say this every time it's mentioned? Or am I remembering incorrectly. In any case, no one gives a gently caress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
gently caress Electron apps.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Do you say this every time it's mentioned? Or am I remembering incorrectly. In any case, no one gives a gently caress.

you should give a gently caress because lazy web development leaking into the desktop is fighting against all the performance we're trying to maximize

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

gently caress Electron apps.

Unused memory is wasted memory.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LRADIKAL posted:

i do

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Oh no, an app that does what it says on the tin uses 200MB ram. What shall I ever do with the rest of the 95.8GB of RAM in my system? Oh right.

No one cares.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
love how we're just pretending ram usage is the issue with electron now

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Well I haven't noticed any CPU issues with fancontrol so :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
personally i don't like how electron apps universally perform like the lovely web 2.0 apps they are, but hey, if you like waiting half a second for your apps to respond to basic input, more power to you :shobon:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I set it up and now it works without me loving with it... And only Teams was ever that bad. Fancontrol is fairly responsive.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

gently caress Electron. I wouldn't mind them using even more ram if at least they would try to cache stuff to make it actually responsive to use.

E: They use way too many resources for how sluggish they are.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

Given your regdate, I feel sure that you ought to remember the time I do, when computers were more responsive than they are now, despite being thousands of times slower.

Systems programming languages haven't got slower (even if we set aside the boost in CPU performance, the code optimizes way more efficiently nowadays because of compiler changes in the intervening decades), and yet the actual user experience of using a computer feels slower than it did.

There's probably not a single reason for it, I'll grant - but one of the biggest reasons is the proliferation of compute and memory, allowing developers to simply not care at all about optimizing code, up to and including using an interpreted language with a JIT for things that should be done in systems programming languages.

Electron is, by far, the single biggest example of this phenomenon - so yes, I do feel the need to mention it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's not even limited to electron anymore, but it was lovely web apps that normalized that bullshit, and it's electron that moved it to the desktop app experience, and microsoft is now bravely following suit with actual native apps performing like absolute poo poo, seemingly without a loving care in the world that computers 3 billion times faster than those that existed in the 90s are slower for the end user

it's even more jarring on macos or linuxes where immediacy is still present to some degree and then you install a discord/slack/etc and suddenly everything feels like you're computing through molasses

but sure, electron apps are just fine because you have too much ram now i guess

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

:goonsay: posted:

electron electron ELECTRON

LibreHardwareMonitor is open source, y'all are free to make the :rice: CLI frontend of your dreams!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Truga posted:

it's not even limited to electron anymore, but it was lovely web apps that normalized that bullshit, and it's electron that moved it to the desktop app experience, and microsoft is now bravely following suit with actual native apps performing like absolute poo poo, seemingly without a loving care in the world that computers 3 billion times faster than those that existed in the 90s are slower for the end user

it's even more jarring on macos or linuxes where immediacy is still present to some degree and then you install a discord/slack/etc and suddenly everything feels like you're computing through molasses

but sure, electron apps are just fine because you have too much ram now i guess

LMAO, even Notepad was made sluggish with their "upgrade"

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sininu posted:

Yeah poo poo it's impressive

Yes computers are faster but system responsiveness has not been a priority for a long time, and it shows

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Sininu posted:

And don't even get me started about how notepad and a bunch of other apps no longer remember their last size/position anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

there's some olympic-grade hyperbole happening itt right now. i promise you that the computers of the 90s were orders of magnitude more sluggish than what we have now.

Indiana_Krom posted:

And don't even get me started about how notepad and a bunch of other apps no longer remember their last size/position anymore.

but this really is loving annoying, though

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

HalloKitty posted:

Yes computers are faster but system responsiveness has not been a priority for a long time, and it shows

Unfortunately the average computer user doesn't even understand that things can be better, so we're stuck with this poo poo forever. Maybe it'll start improving as CPU improvements generation on generation start slowing towards zero- oh who am I kidding the web people will just invent another inner platform and somehow using a supposed desktop app in 2030 on top of the line hardware will feel worse than windows 98 on a 486.

BSD was right.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

there's some olympic-grade hyperbole happening itt right now. i promise you that the computers of the 90s were orders of magnitude more sluggish than what we have now.

the SSD revolution was goddamn amazing and it arrived at a perfect time when moore was getting slaughtered already anyway, but that was a best-case-scenario one time event, and most of the boost that came with it has since been squandered, with windows 11 on a modern box at times appearing to behave as bad or worse than a win98 shitbox, *despite* the SSD difference

but hey, we have 5 second boot times now! good thing too, because S3 sleep no longer works. better shut down your laptop every time you stop using it for 10 minutes, lmao

:commissar: the entire OS industry and start over imo

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
I like it when I wiggle my mouse over an electron app my CPU usage goes to 99% and my room gets noticeably hotter.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Each electron app runs an entire chromium runtime beneath it. That's a good thing, actually. You're isolating yourself from the app. The app is isolated from you. It cannot hurt you anymore. It can only absorb RAM and CPU cycles, and did you know that for every instance of chromium spun up on this earth, an angel gets its wings?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

FanControl gets detected as a gsync program so when I mouse over it the framerate drops to 30 or something and my mouse stutters. It's loving weird.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Make a bug report.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

windowed gsync is always going to be janky by its nature, there's a reason why it's disabled by default

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

repiv posted:

windowed gsync is always going to be janky by its nature, there's a reason why it's disabled by default

But you need that to be enabled for borderless windowed games, and that's almost everything now

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
pointless post ignore this

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 7, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

But you need that to be enabled for borderless windowed games, and that's almost everything now

no you don't, there's a special case for borderless windows

i only have fullscreen gsync enabled and i can see VRR working on the monitor OSD in borderless games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So like, why are you guys constantly loving with it? If fan control makes your PC light on fire when you interact with it, set some goddamn curves and close it to the tray. No GUI, no problem. Are you manually controlling your fans or some poo poo?

Also if you hate electron apps and yet still use fan control instead of Argus Monitor, you are part of the problem. Electron is popular because it's very easy to slap together a multi-platform program with. Google does all of the heavy lifting, which is a good thing for a program that runs in admin mode all the time. Of course someone making free software is gonna use the easiest & lowest-maintenance platform.

If your reaction to paying money is "no thanks, I'd rather hit my own dick with a hammer", then don't loving complain that your dick hurts.

Sheesh. Some people.