Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Lol.

I'm sorry. I get it, it just reminds me of the German and German-Czech side of my family using German place-names for everything. Iglau, Karlsbad, Courland, etc.

Could you pick me up some bananas from the colonial goods store while you're out, please?

Those look like German transliterations of Ukrainian names, not German names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

OddObserver posted:

Those look like German transliterations of Ukrainian names, not German names.

No, they're the (partially original) German names.
Karlsbad was part of the HRE when it was founded, mostly by German settlers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BabyFur Denny posted:

No, they're the (partially original) German names.
Karlsbad was part of the HRE when it was founded, mostly by German settlers.

The "German" names madeintaipei was complaining about - Henitschesk, Dschankoj, and Nowooleksijiwka - are literally German transliterations, not German names for these places, or indeed, names that make sense in German, as far as I can tell.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The "German" names madeintaipei was complaining about - Henitschesk, Dschankoj, and Nowooleksijiwka - are literally German transliterations, not German names for these places, or indeed, names that make sense in German, as far as I can tell.
German just had a different way of translating Cyrillic to Latin. Kyiv, Ukraine, Henichesk etc are all just English transliterations then?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yes, you are correct. Not a complaint, though. An observation.

It's just that the transliteration looks funny.

Nowooleksijiwka. Perfectly understandable gibberish.

A little levity never hurts.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BabyFur Denny posted:

German just had a different way of translating Cyrillic to Latin. Kyiv, Ukraine, Henichesk etc are all just English transliterations then?

Yeah, pretty much?

madeintaipei posted:

An "observation" that's misleading, though. There's nothing "colonial" about using your own language's orthography to express words in foreign languages.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 7, 2023

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, pretty much?

An "observation" that's misleading, though. There's nothing "imperialistic" about using your own language's orthography to express words in foreign languages.

I think it is actually way less imperialistic than making fun of how words sound and look like in another language. Looking at the OP here.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKZclMWS1U

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

madeintaipei posted:

clearly, this is just polish

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

clearly, this is just polish

MAUL HALTEN!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the other two do differ between the german and polish transliteration, but that one is quite literally pl wiki:Nowoołeksijiwka

make the l spooky and call it a day! (i guess that's a polish vowel-consonant rule thing? it seems kinda strange to change "ооле" into "oołe" when you could just use "oole")

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Let’s roll with this. Referring to the capital of Україна as anything other than Київ is neocolonialism too imho. Anyone who doesn’t use the native people’s exact orthography and script when referring to their place names is perpetuating horrific acts of injustice.

(Your observation makes no sense btw.)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I suppose if you're not exposed to foreign languages much you might not realize that transliterations differ between target languages.

What makes it really loving funny is thinking this is colonialism somehow.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I suppose if you're not exposed to foreign languages much you might not realize that transliterations differ between target languages.

What makes it really loving funny is thinking this is colonialism somehow.

Using English to criticize the vocabulary of other languages as colonial is just the cherry on top here.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that "Danzig" wasn't the English name.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I hope Allemania can send more Gepards to Ukraini.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

I hope Allemania can send more Gepards to Ukraini.

They're doing this constantly, but slowly: Whenever the Federal government can find some more Gepards sitting mothballed in some forgotten warehouse, the government buys them up and pays for refurbishment, then sends them to Ukraine.

Last time I checked, they were trying to buy back more Gepards from Quatar, which originally bought them from us. I lost track of how the negotiations were going, but presumably still better than trying to get anything out of the Swiss, :lol:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Groda posted:

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that "Danzig" wasn't the English name.

As someone living in Gdańsk, what? But it isn't, it's the German name! I know the regional naming is all a mess due to changing borders and the Freistadt Danzig period but come on.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the other two do differ between the german and polish transliteration, but that one is quite literally pl wiki:Nowoołeksijiwka

make the l spooky and call it a day! (i guess that's a polish vowel-consonant rule thing? it seems kinda strange to change "ооле" into "oołe" when you could just use "oole")

Yes it seems strange if you're not from the region I guess. Polish has a lot more in common with the cyrylic-written languages than the roman-written ones, and it's not "making the l spooky". "Ł" and "sz" and "cz" and "ch" and "ci/ć" and "ż" and "ź" all correspond to different letters/sounds in those languages, ones you literally do not get in english. I don't knock on people not being able to pronounce the names because if you don't grow up here talking these languages, it is possible that you literally can't say these sounds as your whole mouth and throat just develop differently.

:cmon: show some respect

I'll stop the derail here.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

madeintaipei posted:

Lol.

I'm sorry. I get it, it just reminds me of the German and German-Czech side of my family using German place-names for everything. Iglau, Karlsbad, Courland, etc.

Could you pick me up some bananas from the colonial goods store while you're out, please?

I had a coworkers whose grandparents were sudaten Nazis who got kicked out after the war. He kept insisting they were from Eger and I always made a point to pretend I didn’t know what that was so I could eventually say “oh you mean Cheb”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I had to spend a few hours waiting at the Lüttich main station once. It was no fun cause it was small and boring.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

In a permissive airspace things like A-10s and AH-64s will always have a place. And a need

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Scratch Monkey posted:

In a permissive airspace things like A-10s and AH-64s will always have a place. And a need

Helicopters are handy because they can operate where aircraft can't but the A10 is well and truly obsolete. It is far too much plane for permissive airspace (just use a Super Tucano, Air Tractor, maybe even that Belarus piston powered overwatch plane or drones) and far too little aircraft for non-permissive airspace.
It's like keeping around Ohio class battleships after WWII, 8" arty is far better and the only reason to go with the BB/A10 platform outside their intended use is because of the huge mental boner it gives and well, you can afford it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A-10 has been relegated to just another missile yeeting platform, a role that can be taken over by million other things, most of them probably far better at it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Saladman posted:

Let’s roll with this. Referring to the capital of Україна as anything other than Київ is neocolonialism too imho. Anyone who doesn’t use the native people’s exact orthography and script when referring to their place names is perpetuating horrific acts of injustice.

(Your observation makes no sense btw.)

You're setting the bar to high. English people can't even pronounce a simple silable like Köln without adding a bunch of unnecassary letters, making it Cologne.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

You're setting the bar to high. English people can't even pronounce a simple silable like Köln without adding a bunch of unnecassary letters, making it Cologne.

Don't blame the English for that one. That came to English from Latin via French. The Romans, who founded the place, called it "Colonia Agrippina" (Agrippina's Colony). The French turned that into Cologne and made the English use that after they conquered Britain.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Culture-posting:

https://twitter.com/TsurkanKate/status/1688538703612809217

Or:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/08/14/testimonies-victoria-amelina-poem

Content warnings: speaks of the sorts of things that happen to civilian population during the war.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Culture-posting:

https://twitter.com/TsurkanKate/status/1688538703612809217

Or:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/08/14/testimonies-victoria-amelina-poem

Content warnings: speaks of the sorts of things that happen to civilian population during the war.

Much appreciated, it also has an audio version of it. :tipshat:

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-arrests-russia-informant-plot-assassinate-volodymyr-zelenskyy/

quote:

Ukraine’s security service said Monday it had detained a Russian informant who planned to assassinate Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy last month.

The alleged informant “was preparing a Russian airstrike in the Mykolaiv region during the visit of the president of Ukraine,” the Ukrainian Security Service (SBU) said.

The woman was “gathering intelligence” about the “the time and list of locations of the approximate route” of Zelenskyy’s visit to Mykolaiv at the end of July. Based on the information, a “massive” Russian airstrike would have assassinated Zelenskyy, the SBU said.

The plotter was caught “red-handed,” according to the SBU, while giving information to the Russians. The SBU subsequently increased security measures after the informant’s “subversive activities” were uncovered.

The informant, who has not been named, had previously worked as a saleswoman in a military store and lived in the southern Ukrainian city of Ochakov.

Still trying to get Zelensky through some oddball assassination plot. Should've let her submit disinformation and get Russia to waste a bunch of missiles in a "massive" airstrike.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Out of curiosity: didn't zelenskiy visit the airbase that was the subject of a massive wave of missiles within a matter of hours of his visit? or am I off on the timeline

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Out of curiosity: didn't zelenskiy visit the airbase that was the subject of a massive wave of missiles within a matter of hours of his visit? or am I off on the timeline

He visited Kherson after the dam broke and an evac point got shelled a few hours later, but not missled. That was in early June.

There was a missle attack in Mykolaiv in late June of 22 shortly after he visited.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 7, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Scratch Monkey posted:

Don't blame the English for that one. That came to English from Latin via French. The Romans, who founded the place, called it "Colonia Agrippina" (Agrippina's Colony). The French turned that into Cologne and made the English use that after they conquered Britain.

Yeah I know that actually. But imagining that English people can't deal with an ö and suddenly the whole word breaks down like some bad unicode conversion error amuses me more.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Does anyone have good links on the state of Ukrainian corruption in terms of numbers and who is suspected?

Not the most flattering of polls here: https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/927108.html

quote:

Some 77.6% of polled Ukrainians believe that the president is directly responsible for corruption in the government and military administrations. This is evidenced by the data of a public opinion poll devoted to the adaptation of Ukrainians to life in conditions of war and conducted by the Ilko Kucheriv Democratic Initiatives Foundation (DIF) in July. "Procrastination in solving problems that undermine people's faith in victory will also hit the president himself. The poll showed that, according to 77.6% of citizens, "the president is directly responsible for corruption in the government, military administrations," DIF Executive Director Petro Burkovsky said in a statement, posted on the website of the Foundation.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
The latest episode of the red line podcast is very interesting given the recent events in Ukraine at the Kerch bridge. (Evens though these were not uuvs). Also talks about Russia using them in Norway in 2020, which didn’t get the attention it should have, because it happened on the 6th.

Episode notes: UUVs or Unmanned Underwater Vehicles, are set to make the same kind of impact that UAVs previously made on the modern battlefield. With their vast operational capacities and affordable price tags, we are not only seeing major players like the US, Russia, and China engaged in a dire dash for future ocean supremacy, but also several smaller players who previously were locked out of the subsurface battlespace due to the high costs of conventional submarines. Will these new weapons serve merely as long-range recon vehicles for the major powers, or will UUVs be at the forefront of seabed warfare and underwater infrastructure sabotage? We ask our panel of experts.

On the panel this week:

H. I. Sutton (Covert Shores)
Samuel Bendett (CNA)
Bruce Jones (Brookings Inst.)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I can't answer the earlier question but how is Russia exactly produce ammo and munitions? Isn't there a point where they are going to be stretched thin for shells? I can't imagine they'll be able to lob cruise missiles forever?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Looks like they are still producing tanks too:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/575679917849837579/1137875609029189743/ghLZq4YURRAaPusm.mp4

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I can't imagine they'll be able to lob cruise missiles forever?

Why not? They have missile factories.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I can't answer the earlier question but how is Russia exactly produce ammo and munitions? Isn't there a point where they are going to be stretched thin for shells? I can't imagine they'll be able to lob cruise missiles forever?

Why not? They’re a big country with a lot of domestic manufacturing and mining, and it’s not like they’re North Korea levels of isolated. Their current rate of use of cruise missiles is possibly *lower* than it will be in the future as domestic production ramps up to wartime needs, possibly shells too although there they might still be running through Soviet stocks.

Expecting Russia to run out of munitions is not exactly a winning or realistic strategy. It’s a big and reasonably wealthy country with a lot of resources and know-how that is going all-in on genociding Ukraine.

E: nice snipe with our exact same "why not?" phrasing. I wrote mine before seeing yours too.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Saladman posted:

E: nice snipe with our exact same "why not?" phrasing. I wrote mine before seeing yours too.

:synpa:

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
They're still getting enough chips smuggled in through Chinese companies and even USA companies. The world doesn't want to impose the kind of sanctions that would be needed to stop it. They'll keep cranking out a significant number of missiles to continue these same random acts of civilian death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MikeC posted:

Does anyone have good links on the state of Ukrainian corruption in terms of numbers and who is suspected?

Not the most flattering of polls here: https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/927108.html

This appears to mean “the president’s responsibilities include addressing”, not “the president has caused”.