Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stall_19 posted:

Oh yeah forgot they take content down on Twitter, though maybe a good idea here lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...1&utm_content=1

Holy poo poo I thought y'all were exaggerating but God drat. That makes Miz look like Bruiser Brody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Stall_19 posted:

Oh yeah forgot they take content down on Twitter, though maybe a good idea here lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...1&utm_content=1

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Why would Okada even sell that?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

This looks like the kind of beatdown I'd lay on somebody because I am deathly afraid of hurting people.
That or a rib of some kind.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

1glitch0 posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? Why would Okada even sell that?

He was soft as hell through the tournament and constantly did that spot.

He's just reverted back to the mean of being a pretty rubbish wrestler after being ok over the pandemic

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Burn Down Canberra posted:

He was soft as hell through the tournament and constantly did that spot.

He's just reverted back to the mean of being a pretty rubbish wrestler after being ok over the pandemic

Legit embarrassing. You'd think someone would make him knock it off.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

lmao camacho

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Time for him to help Reigns in WWE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Tanga the worst of the 3 brothers now?

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Okada should’ve gone into business for himself, stop selling and just shoot pin the guy.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Imagine being the toughest son of a bitch in wrestling and your kid goes out and does that in the ring

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ThePariah posted:

Okada should’ve gone into business for himself, stop selling and just shoot pin the guy.

Honestly he should've just done the Ishii dead eyed no sell until Tanga actually laid the chops in.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I think the answer is that is pretty obviously yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

Always was

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hikuleo: While he had some meh matches he noticeably improved a lot during the G1 and I'm perfectly fine with him being second place in the block even if Dave thinks he'll at some point leave for WWE/AEW.

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and respectfully disagree with Dave's take on Hikuleo. For anyone who didn't hear WOR, he essentially said that it's a mistake to push Hikuleo for two reasons. The first is that it should be Yota instead in the playoffs (Dave's very much of the opinion that Gedo should have done rainmakershock 2.0 and had Yota win the title from Sanada also). The second reason is that if you push him and he stinks then you wasted time pushing a guy that stinks, but if you push him and he gets really good, then WWE will poach him because of his height. He later added that AEW would go after him too, so either way would be a mistake in his view.

Where I don't agree is because WWE supposedly tried to recruit Hikuleo and Tama Tonga earlier this year and failed, Tama Tonga turned them down in 2016 as well. Their father was never in the cult of Vince McMahon, he got out of there right before the narrative was re-written to say that if you don't "make it" to WWE you're an utter failure in your profession. Meng also knows very well how lovely the job is when the chairman thinks your value has expired. So I don't believe Hikuleo grew up in a house where your worth as an artist was based around the recognition of The Vince, and it's entirely probably he'd be loyal to new japan. I also don't see AEW poaching anyone if New Japan wants to keep them.

But that's just me. Anyway, not trying to bury Dave, but sometimes his reading of new japan's future is almost as weird as mine! and this might be one of those cases.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sooper Gila posted:

I also don't see AEW poaching anyone if New Japan wants to keep them.

They lost Jay White like 6 months ago

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

That was due to an unrelated Eddie Kingston rear end beating!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The "it should be Tsuji" angle is totally understandable. He and SANADA have clicked with each other and you could spin it into this generation's Okada and Tanahashi.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Rarity posted:

Right, but the belief was he was WWE bound but they stopped hiring after he left and AEW became his backup plan. AEW didn't target/take him against new japan's wishes so far as I'm aware (can't imagine they'd let him do the bullet club gimmick still if that was the case) nor was the vibe that New Japan wasted their investment in training and pushing him as Dave's saying would be the case with Hikuleo.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jay very clearly was a victim of New Japan cost cutting cause of ticket sales not recovering due to the pandemic/product feeling stale due to clap crowds and some meh booking. Same with Aussie Open and it's probably a legit concern in terms of them getting top level foreign talent to renew contracts (especially with the Yen being weak against the dollar)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Also Jay’s literally running around AEW wearing a shirt that is NJPW IP

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

The Cameo posted:

Also Jay’s literally running around AEW wearing a shirt that is NJPW IP

In addition to this I'm pretty sure the shirt has the NJPW logo on it plus he's still using his awesome NJPW theme as well so I don't think it's like they poached him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dave is right about Tsuji on both counts :hai:

That return match was one of the damnedest things I've ever seen and after seeing the G1 it wasn't all SANADA. Tsuji is really loving good.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Dave is right about Tsuji on both counts :hai:

That return match was one of the damnedest things I've ever seen and after seeing the G1 it wasn't all SANADA. Tsuji is really loving good.

I do think it would have been too soon to put the belt on Tsuji as we didn't even know the names of his moves yet. But he does rule.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

I do think it would have been too soon to put the belt on Tsuji as we didn't even know the names of his moves yet. But he does rule.

Counterpoint: Big man do big spear

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Big Man do Gene Blaster, respect the finisher name

Anyway the rocket’s probably going on Yuya.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like I get why they didn't put the belt on him cause Sanada reign still has legs on but they should 100% have Tsuji be the one that beats Ospreay for the US title which would still be a big deal cause it's Will

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Like I get why they didn't put the belt on him cause Sanada reign still has legs on but they should 100% have Tsuji be the one that beats Ospreay for the US title which would still be a big deal cause it's Will

For sure they're gonna need someone to beat Ospreay for it after he wins the G1.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I still think Shooter is gonna catch up and be Ace Level eventually (you can just tell the raw material is SO GOOD) but I feel like Yota is more refined. Which theoretically makes sense, Tsuji is a few years older.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I still think Shooter is gonna catch up and be Ace Level eventually (you can just tell the raw material is SO GOOD) but I feel like Yota is more refined. Which theoretically makes sense, Tsuji is a few years older.

Tsuji also has that smile.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Strawberry Panda posted:

Tsuji also has that smile.

True. Shooter has the crowd pose though. It really is Irresistible Force v. Immovable Object in terms of intangible star power. And I love it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what about... Huge japan.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Shooter’s got such higher expectations of him than Tsuji has had, it’s unreal. Like, people will consider the kid’s career disappointing if by the end of it he’s not regarded on a Muto or Tanahashi level of being The Guy You Think Of when you think New Japan Pro-Wrestling. It’s bugfuck nuts what the company expect out of him just by how they’ve tied him to figures like Tana and Moxley (down to the “ignition” hook opening to his entrance music being the same as the ignition that starts “DEATH RIDER”) and most recently having Chono “teach him the Chono STF”.

It’d be like Vince telling a guy graduating from NXT “so we’re gonna give you a gimmick in which you’re gonna be both Bret Hart and Steve Austin at the same time! You better work out to be as good as both of them! Ha! Good poo poo.”

But, I reiterate: don’t sleep on Yuya Uemura, this card was his and Tsuji’s send-off card, and considering who sent him off and what happened when that guy “graduated” into the Rainmaker…

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 8, 2023

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

apologies for the delay, but i had to wait to get my computer back from repair.

c block finals in a few hours

G1 Climax 33
August 9th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST/18:30 JST
Yokohama Budokan

Kaito Kiyomiya and Ryohei Oiwa vs. United Empire (Jeff Cobb and Great O-Khan)
Most Violent Players vs. Bullet Club War Dogs (Alex Coughlin and Gabe Kidd)
Shota Umino, Hikuleo, and Jado vs. Strong Style
Hirooki Goto, YOH, and Oskar Leube vs. TMDK (Zack Sabre Jr., Shane Haste, and Kosei Fujita)
Hiroshi Tanahahi, Togi Makabe, and Master Wato vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, Yota Tsuji, and BUSHI)
G1 Climax C Block Match:Tomohiro Ishii [2] vs. Mikey Nicholls [4]
G1 Climax C Block Match:Tama Tonga [7] vs. HENARE [4]
G1 Climax C Block Match:Eddie Kingston [8] vs. David Finlay [8]
G1 Climax C Block Match:Shingo Takagi [7] vs. EVIL [8]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edit: Whoops! Welcome back Thauros!

Key MATHTM takeaways from tonight will be:
  • David Finlay can win the entire block if he defeats Eddie Kingston, something that previous Bullet Club Leader Switchblade Jay White was unable to do and which in fact saw him banned from ever wrestling for New Japan again without Eddie's express permission.
  • If Eddie beats Finlay, he can only win the block if EVIL loses against Shingo Takagi. If EVIL beats Shingo and Kingston beats Finlay, then EVIL wins the Block (:cripes:)
  • Shingo and Tama can at best finish 2nd. If Shingo beats EVIL, even if Kingston and Finlay draw, Kingston would have the head-to-head tiebreaker over Shingo. If Tama beats HENARE, Eddie would also finish above him.
  • Tama and Shingo drew so.... uhhhh .... :confused:
  • Ishii has only 2 points (:stare:) and needs to beat Mad Mikey in order to avoid a last place finish in C Block.

Math ain't getting any easier! :ohdear:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 8, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh man I sure am hype for Eddie main eventing today, just gonna check out Thauros's update in the G1 thread and

Thauros posted:

G1 Climax C Block Match:Eddie Kingston [8] vs. David Finlay [8]
G1 Climax C Block Match:Shingo Takagi [7] vs. EVIL [8]

:cripes:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If Finlay and EVIL win how sad will you all be?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

If Finlay and EVIL win how sad will you all be?

Gedo comes home after a long tour:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Best case scenario: Eddie and Shingo
Worst case scenario: Finlay and EVIL
Most likely scenario: Finlay and Shingo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Still incredibly far behind on the tournament, watching Night 5 just now

Have to say I expected Owens vs Hikuleo to be rank rotten but Chase's stooging at the start was pretty fun. And there's something very funny about Chase as the longest serving non-Gedo BC member who is still acting like it's Kenny's merch selling machine BC, running around trying to two sweet everyone, rather than Gabe Kidd being an obnoxious bastard.

The wrestling isn't exciting but the character is funny, something very pathetic about how on the outside he is between the War Dogs & House of Torture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh Kiyomiya.... :sigh: