Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's coming home :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Terrifying moment when Kerr suddenly crumpled there

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bringing on a half fit Kerr when you’re 2-0 up and looking comfortable seems like a bad decision tbh

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Bringing on a half fit Kerr when you’re 2-0 up and looking comfortable seems like a bad decision tbh

Otoh the defense is unchanged by it and it's probably the safest chance to test her out in an actual game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
grats Oz you looked pretty good

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Close first half but looked pretty dominant in the second. Good stuff :)

slorb
May 14, 2002
its coming home (to almost the furthest point from england)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

slorb posted:

its coming home (to almost the furthest point from england)

The best place for it

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Infinitum posted:

It's coming home :smuggo:

Well, if it couldn't be Denmark, I'll be rooting for Sweden and then Australia now

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
noice. good stuff.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
As an American that rooted for AUS during the ashes, go Aus! :toot:

Hope they meet Eng in the quarter and trunce them

vv Oh it's semi finals, my bad

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 7, 2023

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Digital Jedi posted:

As an American that rooted for AUS during the ashes, go Aus! :toot:

Hope they meet Eng in the quarter and trunce them

I think we play the winner of France v Morocco

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Paracausal posted:

STRAYA gently caress YEAH CUNTS

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fanatic posted:

I think we play the winner of France v Morocco

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Congrats Aus, I hope you keep winning

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Morocco isn't gonna win but I still want them to.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mycatscrimes posted:

Morocco isn't gonna win but I still want them to.

I mean Nigeriia wasn't gonna win, but it went to a shootout

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Infinitum posted:

I mean Nigeriia wasn't gonna win, but it went to a shootout

I can't get my hopes up because I'm still heartbroken over the Super Falcons, though :(

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Paracausal posted:

STRAYA gently caress YEAH CUNTS

This, imo

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Imagine playing extra time and then penalties instead of simply scoring goals in regulation.

Go Matildas.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
At least we know that Sam Kerr can run around a bit now, though she looked like someone who hasn’t played competitive footy in months

Fantastic atmosphere tonight, don’t think I’ve ever heard a crowd roar like when the first goal went in, even at an fa cup final it wasn’t that intense.

Still feels insane that it’s 10.30 pm on a cold Monday night and there’s 78,000 people watching a women’s football match.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
All the grieving Americans (OP especially) should read and quote this sober analysis as a counter to all the US-based talking heads saying how this team 'didn't want it enough' or stupid poo poo like that:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/07/uswnt-womens-world-cup-2023-exit-reasons-soccer

quote:

Now, however, women’s soccer is considered one of the hottest properties in sports. Valuations of National Women’s Soccer League franchises have rocketed in the past three years. Investment is happening in the international game, too, where even non-traditional powers like Morocco have ploughed millions of dollars into their women’s teams. US Soccer valuing its women’s team is no longer an anomaly. (That, by the way, is a point that players and their federation embraced as a byproduct of their six-year equal-pay fight.)

More countries are developing players from young ages, unrestricted by the college system that exists in the United States. Spain has clearly been the emerging power of the last decade (if its federation leaders can get out of their own way). They’ve won multiple youth world and European titles over the past decade, and they’ve adopted the men’s system, where the best teenagers are developed within a professional environment.

That is not the case in the United States. The US have never won a U-17 World Cup; in fact, they’ve been wretched in the competition lately. Their last U-20 title was in 2012. Julie Ertz and Crystal Dunn are the last ones standing from that squad on this senior World Cup team. Youth tournaments are about development more than they are about winning, but USA’s performances at those tournaments have been a clear indictment of the player pipeline and the federation’s coaching philosophies.

Lindsey Horan moves to Europe as an 18-year-old in 2012. More recently forwards Alyssa Thompson and Jaedyn Shaw turned pro before finishing high school and had the benefit of landing with two of the more progressive NWSL teams in Angel City and the San Diego Wave, respectively. But those examples are the exceptions rather than the rule in the US, where most players go through the amateur college system – which varies widely in quality – before turning professional.

And the NWSL is still playing catch-up with big European clubs. Youth academies and reserve leagues have been talked about for years without action and are now supposedly high on the boardroom’s agenda. It’s all reactionary, which is a microcosm of the US soccer landscape at large. The fractured youth landscape is no less divided now than it was a decade ago, and that’s before we mention the unchecked abuses of power exposed by recent investigations. The college system that has long served as the development pipeline to the national team is being blown up in real time at the hands of men’s college football and greed, and teams from Europe to Mexico are offering pay and opportunities to attract top teenage players.

There is still plenty of talent in the US, but players need a better environment to improve their game. What does a USA player look like? How should a USA team play? Can anyone answer those questions with more substance than intangibles about “athleticism”, “grit” and “hard work”? And how can there be a unified vision in a country so vast that the answers to those questions vary from one town to another? None of these questions are new.

The Paris Olympics are less than a year away, and the 2027 World Cup looms large. There’s a strong chance that the next World Cup will be played in the US, which will present this generation with a new level of pressure as they carry the burden of atoning for this year’s failure.

It is not that the US are suddenly terrible, but they are no longer a sure bet to dominate. They can – and should – contend for titles going forward, but without addressing systemic flaws, they run the risk of mediocrity by their own high standards. An exit in the Round of 16 – even if it comes after a strong performance against a very good team – is an unmitigated disaster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i feel like most USWNT watchers have been beating some of those various drums for a while. the last world cup felt like kind of the tipping point at the time.

there is definitely a "did you want it enough" piece that has to be addressed in the squad imo as most of the younger players look pedestrian and pretty far off of it, but it's not like addressing that will be sufficient to return to dominance.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Truly men's college football is the worst scourge in America

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

mycatscrimes posted:

Truly men's college football is the worst scourge in America

We have a bright future in the always progressive Pac 12 (gestures to empty window)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i feel like most USWNT watchers have been beating some of those various drums for a while. the last world cup felt like kind of the tipping point at the time.

there is definitely a "did you want it enough" piece that has to be addressed in the squad imo as most of the younger players look pedestrian and pretty far off of it, but it's not like addressing that will be sufficient to return to dominance.

They absolutely wanted it enough, that wasn't an issue. After watching NWSL for the last few years I'd say that most of these younger girls were just not ready for other teams. After clowning on American defences for the whole season Smith looked genuinely surprised to find out that players from other countries can and will mark her out from the whole game.

US did a whole lot of good for the women's game but they got complacent. And the pressure on this team was absolutely immense, they'd get criticised for anything other than winning the title. They will do better next time but a lot has to change at systemic level.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
gently caress that game was awesome. There were honestly about 50 danish fans and 75000 Aussies.

loving the best

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
imo it doesn't take a 10,000 word postmortem to understand that the US had an advantage as long as nobody else in the world cared about women's football just because US sports infrastructure is set up so that some of the same player development opportunities that exist for men also have an equivalent for women, like college sports, which meant there was some investment in the women's game in the US at a time when there was no investment in the women's game anywhere else, but that's no longer the case and whoops turns out as soon as the places that know how to develop good footballers and build good teams start applying that knowledge to women as well as to men, the US's arcane sports structures and general lack of interest in the sport hold back women just like they hold back men

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

All the grieving Americans (OP especially) should read and quote this sober analysis as a counter to all the US-based talking heads saying how this team 'didn't want it enough' or stupid poo poo like that:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/07/uswnt-womens-world-cup-2023-exit-reasons-soccer

it feels good, op

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
glad to see the danes out

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

What I'm saying is: Rodman and Smith ARE good but they need to regularly play against really good teams, not learn that they can easily ship 6 past Chicago every time they meet.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Australia has now knocked Denmark out of the World Cup for the second time in eight months :getin:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

vyelkin posted:

imo it doesn't take a 10,000 word postmortem to understand that the US had an advantage as long as nobody else in the world cared about women's football just because US sports infrastructure is set up so that some of the same player development opportunities that exist for men also have an equivalent for women, like college sports, which meant there was some investment in the women's game in the US at a time when there was no investment in the women's game anywhere else, but that's no longer the case and whoops turns out as soon as the places that know how to develop good footballers and build good teams start applying that knowledge to women as well as to men, the US's arcane sports structures and general lack of interest in the sport hold back women just like they hold back men

It was a huge victory for equal treatment in the US that got those college opportunities for women in place, it was fought for tooth and claw. So that was something worth being proud of for a lot of us women fans of our soccer teams. Tbh the general public and Fox News crowd just kind of... bandwagoned on that pride and made it more about 'America Best' than taking pride in having made a strong women's team and what it meant to women's sports. From the outside I imagine it quite reasonably all looks the same though.

Soccer seems to still be building momentum as a professional sport in the US, so there may be hope for the overall improvement you're talking about.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

vyelkin posted:

bawh god is that relegations/promotions music???

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Terminally Bored posted:

What I'm saying is: Rodman and Smith ARE good but they need to regularly play against really good teams, not learn that they can easily ship 6 past Chicago every time they meet.

:hai:

We also need to catch up on tactics, having 11 strong players isn't enough if they aren't going in with a strong plan and some flexibility when plan A doesn't work.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

It was a huge victory for equal treatment in the US that got those college opportunities for women in place, it was fought for tooth and claw. So that was something worth being proud of for a lot of us women fans of our soccer teams. Tbh the general public and Fox News crowd just kind of... bandwagoned on that pride and made it more about 'America Best' than taking pride in having made a strong women's team and what it meant to women's sports. From the outside I imagine it quite reasonably all looks the same though.

Soccer seems to still be building momentum as a professional sport in the US, so there may be hope for the overall improvement you're talking about.

don't think there's anything wrong with taking pride in your team when it's successful, Canada suffers from the same problems but with 1/10th the talent pool but that didn't stop me being happy when we won the Olympics and it's the same kinda deal where lots of people just assumed having a good team when 99% of the world didn't care meant we would be good forever

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It's cool that we have to suffer through another two weeks of ads featuring those losers.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

vyelkin posted:

don't think there's anything wrong with taking pride in your team when it's successful, Canada suffers from the same problems but with 1/10th the talent pool but that didn't stop me being happy when we won the Olympics and it's the same kinda deal where lots of people just assumed having a good team when 99% of the world didn't care meant we would be good forever

Oh for sure, I'm kinda rambling bc I've been thinking too much about why our women's soccer team has meant so much to me since I was a little girl, since I don't particularly give a poo poo about rooting for my country in sports otherwise. This has been such a good tournament for women's soccer internationally though, that means a lot too.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
All joking aside, the truth is that the US hasn't been this dominant force in women's soccer in ages. And honestly, maybe it only briefly ever was. Sure, it's the most successful team on earth on the women's side. But Americans, especially the casuals, like to act like its the dream team when its not. Every single olympic gold medal includes at least one extra time game. 2019 England was a missed pk away from forcing extra time against the us.

Being a Brazilian living in the US, it is striking how the American reaction is all or nothing based on results. Win on pks or on extra time or on super questionable refereeing (2012 US Canada is still probably the worst refereed game ive ever watched) and it gets treated the same way as if the US won 5-0, lose on pks and its like "lets burn this system to the ground."

And for all the hand wringing about the college system, there is something to be said about its consistency. Because what allows the US to win so many titles in extra time or pks is because while they are not dominant, they are always in it. Marta gets old and Brazil becomes irrelevant. Christine Sinclair gets old and Canada joins Brazil in the sidelines. The US meanwhile is competitive every time. Sometimes it goes through because the bounces go their way (1999 wc, all the olympic golds). Sometimes it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

mycatscrimes posted:

:hai:

We also need to catch up on tactics, having 11 strong players isn't enough if they aren't going in with a strong plan and some flexibility when plan A doesn't work.

This has been a huge failure of Andonofsky. The US has plenty of technically skilled and clever players, it's not that they're "more athletic" than other nations players and that hasn't been the case against the top flight of competition since at latest 2011. The US lost a bunch in the aughts because they were strong and could run all day but didn't have the technical nous. Now they've got that, but they gave a goddamned F-22 to George Armstrong Custer. Moreover, they managed their generational turnover poorly, especially going forward where Sophia Smith was not quite ready for prime time, Alex Morgan is just past it despite having made the World XI just last year, and Rose Lavelle was coming off injury/got two cards in the group stage. They've never figured out how to handle Left Back because they'll just stick Crystal Dunn there rather than see who could actually play the position naturally. The injury to Becky Saurbrunn shouldn't have been as huge a deal as it was, but hurt because Vlatko didn't trust anyone to play centerback other than an out of position Julie Ertz, the midfield lost it's best defender... and the midfield was already a mess due to injuries, Vlatko's incompetence, and the US's habit of developing excellent attacking mids and very few excellent 6s.

Add into all of that Vlatko's near complete inability to make adjustments, and having apparently no clue what he was doing with subs. In that final game Vlatko makes his team it worse by subbing off Trinity Rodman, who'd been the most threatening US forward, and then substituting in a 38 year old Megan Rapinoe. Despite all of that, on most days the USWNT advances to the quarterfinals instead of Sweden with that performance.

All that said, we US fans deserve our comeuppance. We got wrecked, and we were certainly more than arrogant enough to engender all of the schadenfreude that's been pent up for a decade. I think the Olympics will be interesting.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 7, 2023