Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

try if you can hi five a mountain lion while walkin thru a door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Marcade posted:

Victorian England, just slightly less depressing.

Everything's slightly cleaner, everyone's slightly better fed, and there is developing class-consciousness.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
any time i hear about remnant i'm just reminded of this from the first game

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Oof I watched that gif for way too long.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Your Computer posted:

[/timg]

It's an old rifle, all right? The glass is broken, just an empty tube left.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

After trying to play and bouncing hard off all the From Software games (timed melee is just not my thing) and not owning a console, I have no idea what Bloodbourne land looks like.

Victorian England poor quarters but spooky and everyone's trying to kill you for being a foreigner, also there are some werewolves. The only real difference is that they replaced Cthulhu with elves in terms of the additional spook factor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I did attempt Dark Souls and hated it, but I really enjoyed Remnant because I could continually shoot things and evade at a distance rather than attempt to evade everything while doing precision-timed smacking with a ridiculous-looking melee weapon.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

After trying to play and bouncing hard off all the From Software games (timed melee is just not my thing) and not owning a console, I have no idea what Bloodbourne land looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq8FuG9J7dA A video from goon Genocyber's LP of it. This is one of the more :stonk: areas.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

SubponticatePoster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq8FuG9J7dA A video from goon Genocyber's LP of it. This is one of the more :stonk: areas.

That looks like a more obnoxious Ironborough Village

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
If regular Bloodborne is too much, there's always...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3XhuOfV8E

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
10 year anniversary edition special edition upgrade and still goofy as hell

https://i.imgur.com/1A89PnS.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/p6eQL9W.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/b6NzqHS.gifv

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

moist turtleneck posted:

10 year anniversary edition special edition upgrade and still goofy as hell
https://i.imgur.com/b6NzqHS.gifv

That's goofy indeed, for me it's usually a naked courier that interrupts my dragon battles particularly during the mission to capture one in dragonsreach, I'll be mid battle when I get a courier with message that says I heard your shout on the dragonsreach balcony after using a shout to lure the dragon to said balcony.

like this but with not clothes on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcbDA8TEv20

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Your Computer posted:

It's actually pretty common for third person shooters to basically be first person for the purpose of aiming. As in, the "bullet" flies out of the camera, not the character's gun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, it looks dumb in that situation, but it's more annoying to me when the camera zips to a slightly different position whenever I zoom in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's actually pretty common for third person shooters to basically be first person for the purpose of aiming. As in, the "bullet" flies out of the camera, not the character's gun.
is it common for a scoped weapon to have absolutely no zoom whatsoever?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zereth posted:

In real life there are unmagnified optics, yeah. I was just sharing fun game design facts. Haven't even played the game in question.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Zereth posted:

Yes. or to have a limited magnification of 1.5x or 2x

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
are we just ignoring the part where they hide the character model and put a png of a scope on the screen without changing literally anything else or

e: also i should note that this was at launch and i have no idea if they fixed it since then, i just think it's hilarious to look at

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

I don't see the problem

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

are we just ignoring the part where they hide the character model and put a png of a scope on the screen without changing literally anything else or

I mean, the only thing I'd consider changing about it is tweaking the field of view a bit to better-sell "zoomed in". Otherwise, this is very similar to how the binoculars work in my game, Waves of Steel.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the feature as depictited in the gif isn't adding any value, so why spend resources programming it lol

(to check a feature box off the list probably)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That reminds me of how Dragon Age: Inquisition handled horses. They added a galloping speed, but it turned out anything faster than the default horse speed caused problems because the consoles wouldn't be able to load in the environment quickly enough.

As a result, when you start galloping, all that's happening is your field of view zooming in a bit and speed lines appearing at the edge of your screen. Your actual speed stays exactly the same.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It could be worse, Jedi Knight II had a sniper rifle with a scope overlay so busy and over detailed that especially on the SD tvs of the day of the console port it was pretty much unusable cause you couldn't see poo poo.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Arrath posted:

It could be worse, Jedi Knight II had a sniper rifle with a scope overlay so busy and over detailed that especially on the SD tvs of the day of the console port it was pretty much unusable cause you couldn't see poo poo.

Makes sense in a setting where no one seems to be able to hit the broad side of a barn at ten paces.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Arrath posted:

Sounds like some of the scopes in the earlier Metro games. Although in that case it might have been deliberate, since many of the weapons are lovely kitbashed rifles that have been through hell; it makes sense that a dirty scope that's all scratched to poo poo would be impossible to see through.

Still annoying as hell, though :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of how Dragon Age: Inquisition handled horses. They added a galloping speed, but it turned out anything faster than the default horse speed caused problems because the consoles wouldn't be able to load in the environment quickly enough.

As a result, when you start galloping, all that's happening is your field of view zooming in a bit and speed lines appearing at the edge of your screen. Your actual speed stays exactly the same.

SunnuvaBITCH

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

Makes sense in a setting where no one seems to be able to hit the broad side of a barn at ten paces.

I see you have not experienced the joy of fighting Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy snipers...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Perestroika posted:

The original release of Mass Effect 1 did the same with sprinting. It wasn't very convincing there either.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A couple of months ago, Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis added a housing feature where you can build basically whatever you like on a private island. This week, they added a whole bunch of new parts, including a floor hatch that swings open. Most parts, including this hatch, can be resized separately in all three axes. So here's what happens when you resize the floor hatch in a couple of different ways.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/114790019952017409/1138427887385591908/sa0tdo.mp4

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Somebody get that lady some back support!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I did attempt Dark Souls and hated it, but I really enjoyed Remnant because I could continually shoot things and evade at a distance rather than attempt to evade everything while doing precision-timed smacking with a ridiculous-looking melee weapon.

Remnant's big plus for me as someone that also bounced off Dark Souls is that it doesn't waste your time for bossfights. If you died, you respawn real close by, with full ammo/cooldowns and no need to go pick up lost souls or coins or loot or whatever, you can switch classes freely, there's easy respecs, etc. A lot of things that other soulslike games do do and make it too timeconsuming for me

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

A couple of months ago, Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis added a housing feature where you can build basically whatever you like on a private island. This week, they added a whole bunch of new parts, including a floor hatch that swings open. Most parts, including this hatch, can be resized separately in all three axes. So here's what happens when you resize the floor hatch in a couple of different ways.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/114790019952017409/1138427887385591908/sa0tdo.mp4

Fantastic :allears: The hatch has an animation, which means that it's a rigged mesh instead of a static one. And the bones on the rig only got their scale adjusted when they're in their idle pose, so when the animation plays, they smoothly revert to their default scale.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think it's more that they apply the transformation to the post-animation mesh instead of the root bone. So the door is being scaled along the global X and Y axes even though it's no longer aligned to them as it rotates

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

haveblue posted:

I think it's more that they apply the transformation to the post-animation mesh instead of the root bone. So the door is being scaled along the global X and Y axes even though it's no longer aligned to them as it rotates

Curse you, non-commutative matrix multiplication! :argh:

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Aug 8, 2023

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
… is it not because the player’s scaled it on the third axis, toward the camera, in a purposefully wrong way? I thought that was the point of the description pointing that out. That would be why the very large mostly-square door opens into a rectangle

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, exactly. If you take a square door and make it thin, you'd expect to get a thin square door that opens to be a thin square door at a different angle. What you actually get is a thin square door that opens to be a regular thickness narrow rectangle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I purposefully believe linear algebra does not exist. A conviction so strong I don't see anything wrong with that video. Just some normal doors and normal breasts, nothing strange.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Playing through Spider-Man Remastered and got a couple of funny ones

https://i.imgur.com/pYIoRiA.mp4

Loading into a mission just killed Spidey for some reason

https://i.imgur.com/kJ5gntd.mp4

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's a Spider-Clone killing Pete off camera so he can take his place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All joking aside that "spider-man no more" line is really cute