Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Outlook for Windows Preview web app is a buggy piece of poo poo and I wish it were dead.

Related, they're trying to push ads in the inbox AGAIN. Microsoft previously tried this with Mail.app in Canada and the moment they vaguely tested it in the US, it was gone. Not so sure it'll go away so quietly this time.

I switched to Mailbird, which has a similar clean interface to the default app and I'm pretty happy. We'll see how naggy my "free" account is once my trial runs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there a way to see your most recently added apps in Windows 10?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

NotNut posted:

Might not be exactly what you are looking for but Apps and features -> Sort by install date

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
I was wondering the following.

When I'd have the need for a Windows 11 install usb stick, I know it is possible with Rufus to make an install that has local account and some other options.

Is there a way or tool, to have the same result (an installable version of windows 11 with local account) but have the output be an .iso instead?

I don't have an immediate need for this but the reason I'm wondering is that currently I use a USB stick formatted with the tool ventoy and I have multiple OS installation iso files on just one bootable stick. So would be nice if I could just add a prepared Windows 11 iso to that instead of having to "lose" a usb stick to a single use case.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

NotNut posted:

Is there a way to _________________ Windows?

NirSoft, the answer is always NirSoft.

You probably would want UninstallView - https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/uninstall_view.html

Or maybe you meant Window's literal (garbage) "apps", then InstalledAppView probably - https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_app_view.html

astral
Apr 26, 2004

NotNut posted:

You can have them at the top of your Start menu with:

Settings -> Start -> Show recently added apps

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

astral posted:

You can have them at the top of your Start menu with:

Settings -> Start -> Show recently added apps

that's gone with win 11, right?

e:it's still there (i had it on), but the apps disappear pretty quickly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zadda posted:

I was wondering the following.

When I'd have the need for a Windows 11 install usb stick, I know it is possible with Rufus to make an install that has local account and some other options.

Is there a way or tool, to have the same result (an installable version of windows 11 with local account) but have the output be an .iso instead?

I don't have an immediate need for this but the reason I'm wondering is that currently I use a USB stick formatted with the tool ventoy and I have multiple OS installation iso files on just one bootable stick. So would be nice if I could just add a prepared Windows 11 iso to that instead of having to "lose" a usb stick to a single use case.

Yes, with DISM you can mount & make edits to a windows installer file. This is how you can for example add drivers to an installer. So the process would be like: extract and mount the installer image, make the same edits that rufus does, commit the image, and re-create an iso with that.

I've done the drivers thing, it's a medium PITA. And MS updates the installer every time a major version is released, It's a good idea to keep your installer stick up to date, so you kinda need to keep doing it over and over. So the question I'd ask is, how often do you actually need to install Win11? Because having a windows boot stick is useful for troubleshooting purposes, but AFAIK you don't need the jailbroken one just to do a repair or whatnot.

edit: oh, easier method: rufus can write to a VHD, then you can turn that VHD into an ISO. Dunno how well that will work, but I'd guess at worst you might need to fiddle with options to get something that ventoy will boot?

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 4, 2023

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I love that Quick Look in macos supports STL files because I can arrow-key through a folder of models and see each one instantly. Anyone know of a Windows program that can launch and open STLs at a similar speed?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apparently if you have the Windows Store app called "3D Viewer" installed (https://www.microsoft.com/store/productid/9NBLGGH42THS?ocid=pdpshare) then you can associate it with STL files and enable the preview pane in Windows Explorer

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The latest version of Powertoys from Microsoft supports thumbnails for STL files in Explorer, enabled in the File Explorer add-ons section.

Also a bunch of other handy things. There's probably more powerful stuff out there somewhere but for the sheer ease and integration you'll pry PowerRename from my cold dead hands.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 4, 2023

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Klyith posted:

Yes, with DISM you can mount & make edits to a windows installer file. This is how you can for example add drivers to an installer. So the process would be like: extract and mount the installer image, make the same edits that rufus does, commit the image, and re-create an iso with that.

I've done the drivers thing, it's a medium PITA. And MS updates the installer every time a major version is released, It's a good idea to keep your installer stick up to date, so you kinda need to keep doing it over and over. So the question I'd ask is, how often do you actually need to install Win11? Because having a windows boot stick is useful for troubleshooting purposes, but AFAIK you don't need the jailbroken one just to do a repair or whatnot.

edit: oh, easier method: rufus can write to a VHD, then you can turn that VHD into an ISO. Dunno how well that will work, but I'd guess at worst you might need to fiddle with options to get something that ventoy will boot?

Thanks for all the good info and explanation.

Good to know the possibilities. I think the question of how often you need such an installer usb stick is a good one to consider. For now the answer is I don't need it as I'm sticking with Win 10 but wanted to explore the options and now I know :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a way to prevent Explorer from making GBS threads itself when a folder contains thousands of pictures?

I manually archive older files in my screenshot folders, else I get indefinite loading (so also sorting). Changing to details view doesn't always help. In the worst case, it can even freeze (happened to me yesterday when I right clicked a png in the Home page). This is on an nvme.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does List view do any better than details? Sometimes details can really screw it if you're showing columns it needs to interrogate the files about.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I never use it, so idk.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is there a way to prevent Explorer from making GBS threads itself when a folder contains thousands of pictures?

I manually archive older files in my screenshot folders, else I get indefinite loading (so also sorting). Changing to details view doesn't always help. In the worst case, it can even freeze (happened to me yesterday when I right clicked a png in the Home page). This is on an nvme.

Have you already changed its "Optimize this folder for" setting to General items? (Properties->Customize tab)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

astral posted:

Have you already changed its "Optimize this folder for" setting to General items? (Properties->Customize tab)

Wait, does that actually do anything besides changing things like the detail columns and default view?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

astral posted:

Iirc, I did that but it eventually reverted.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Wait, does that actually do anything besides changing things like the detail columns and default view?

Whenever I've had a directory with a ton of stuff in it start chugging on folder open, it was usually because it was not set to optimize for General items and fixing that made it speedy again. Entirely possible it just rebuilds some cache and it's not specifically because it's changed to General items, but it would make sense for things to be faster when it doesn't have to index or parse a bunch of extra metadata for one of the other folder types.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it possible to turn spatial sound on or off only for certain apps?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Zadda posted:

Thanks for all the good info and explanation.

Good to know the possibilities. I think the question of how often you need such an installer usb stick is a good one to consider. For now the answer is I don't need it as I'm sticking with Win 10 but wanted to explore the options and now I know :)

Ventoy seems to support boot from .vhd.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Klyith posted:

You can clone the drive over, including expanding the existing windows partition to the larger size.

If you buy a drive from a larger brand like WD or crucial, they have free versions of Acronis True Image that only work when going to/from their drives.

If you buy a cheapo brand that doesn't have that, you can use the trial version of Macrium Reflect to clone your drive.

Well, poo poo. Just installed a new Crucial drive and it was super smooth. Took like half an hour, most of it me spraying the old dust out of the case. Got another one for my mom's computer (that'll be fun, she has a really old Dell with limited data and power connectors...).

Now what to do with two old SSDs. Probably "wipe all the old data" should be step one, but I have zero use for them...

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

MikusR posted:

Ventoy seems to support boot from .vhd.

Oh that is good to know, thanks.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Uthor posted:

Now what to do with two old SSDs. Probably "wipe all the old data" should be step one, but I have zero use for them...

Small USB enclosure with internal USB-2-SATA adapter for maybe :10bux:, boom, portable and fast storage, USB powered.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mcbexx posted:

Small USB enclosure with internal USB-2-SATA adapter for maybe :10bux:, boom, portable and fast storage, USB powered.

I've heard of those, but I have no need for one. Like, I haven't even used a USB stick in forever.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uthor posted:

I've heard of those, but I have no need for one. Like, I haven't even used a USB stick in forever.

If you have a PS5 you can do that and use it for a fast external drive. Xbox too I would assume

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Medullah posted:

If you have a PS5 you can do that and use it for a fast external drive. Xbox too I would assume

PS5 is better about it than XBox. My X won't let you install the higher end games on external storage (well, it will, but won't let you play from it, which I find stupid), even when I had a USB 3 NVMe plugged in, which is about as fast as it gets. It's also super picky about the CFExpress you use, I think there's only one that works officially.

The PS5, on the other hand will let you install some to external, but a few still require fast onboard. I picked up a 2TB NVMe to add in on Prime Day and it's worked well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

AlexDeGruven posted:

PS5 is better about it than XBox. My X won't let you install the higher end games on external storage (well, it will, but won't let you play from it, which I find stupid), even when I had a USB 3 NVMe plugged in, which is about as fast as it gets. It's also super picky about the CFExpress you use, I think there's only one that works officially.

The PS5, on the other hand will let you install some to external, but a few still require fast onboard. I picked up a 2TB NVMe to add in on Prime Day and it's worked well.

PS5 requires internal storage (main or added NVME) for all PS5 games, but PS4 can be played on any external

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I inadvertently hit "Prevent multiple downloads" on the new Outlook and I can't find where to undo that choice. It doesn't seem to be buried in edge settings either.

Anyone have an idea where to look?

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

FunOne posted:

I inadvertently hit "Prevent multiple downloads" on the new Outlook and I can't find where to undo that choice. It doesn't seem to be buried in edge settings either.

Anyone have an idea where to look?

New Outlook is mostly an Edge PWA and even the downloads UI seem to pop the Edge download button, so you may want to open Edge itself and look in those settings. Probably tied to some bespoke Office.com URL Microsoft is using for the "desktop" Outlook since the Web one is still a bit different.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to avoid the new Outlook app for as long as possible, it's complete garbage.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Completely agree. It's another step in the crapification of everything.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm going to avoid the new Outlook app for as long as possible, it's complete garbage.

Microsoft has been actively sabotaging their own software pretty much across the board for the last 10ish years. They used to have this pile of really good software and they've whittled that pile down to maybe but a half dozen apps I actually want to use.

It's a matter of time until Excel and VS get crapified. I actually 100% expect that VS 2025 will come out with something like, 'Look we made VS cross platform! And it has way fewer features... and is an electron app now!'

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 6, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's VS Code and it's awesome.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There are many aspects of VS Code that make me shake my head in bafflement and wonder, but if you told me that the new Outlook was going to be like VS Code, I'd have expected better than we've got.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

That's VS Code and it's awesome.

If you just need an editor, I can totally see the appeal of VS Code. But I'm not sure I would say VS Code is an IDE.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm looking for a way to archive my important data, and reduce the amount of stuff on my main SSD drive that's only 1 TB. I was thinking of getting a 4TB hard drive and encrypting it somehow and manually copying everything over I need. Does that make sense to do? What would be the best way?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NotNut posted:

I'm looking for a way to archive my important data, and reduce the amount of stuff on my main SSD drive that's only 1 TB. I was thinking of getting a 4TB hard drive and encrypting it somehow and manually copying everything over I need. Does that make sense to do? What would be the best way?

Macrium Reflect is now a paid program, but it will do automatic backups to an external hard disk and encrypt them for you. Doing backups to an external hard disk is a time-tested solution and is a good step in terms of data safety.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

NotNut posted:

Look into Veracrypt (a fork of Truecrypt) in if you want to encrypt am external drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NotNut posted:

If you are windows-only, just use bitlocker to encrypt the drive. You need Pro to initialize bitlocker on a drive, but after that Home use bitlocker drives.

I would take the opportunity to set up some backup software, so that you can keep doing this in the future and have backups. If you get a drive from seagate or WD they come with / you can download backup software from the drive makers. (The seagate one is kinda cheezy but can get the job done, WD gives you a limited license for Acronis True Image which is good.)

If you are archiving important data to an external drive and then removing it from your main SSD, then it's not backed up. Data needs to be in two places to be backed up.