Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

The real DS9 series finale is the Lower Decks crossover episode (I rewatched it after like season 5 because apparently there are no real spoilers for anything DS9 post that). Kira just seems so happy.

Of course she's happy, literally everyone in her life who caused her grief is either dead or on opposite ends of the galaxy from her now. Quark doesn't count because Kira actually enjoys beating the poo poo out of Quark whenever he fucks up and puts everyone in danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hit a pretty good run of Voyager episodes after Threshold (big lol here, baffling episode).

“Meld” was pretty cool. It’s nice to get a look at a Vulcan who isn’t able to repress his emotions and Tim Russ kills it. An even better, though obvious, choice is to cast Brad Dourif as a mentally unwell murderer. The dynamic of them switching roles as the episode went on was pretty interesting!

“Dreadnought” is just a solid thriller episode. Ticking time bomb, logic arguments with a computer, classic Trek stuff. Good showcase for Torres.

“Death Wish” is a Q episode which is usually a good time. I was furious when someone named Q showed up and it wasn’t John de Lancie but that got sorted out quickly. Not the first piece of media to deal with the horror of immortality but pretty well done. The Riker cameo was shameless lol.

I’m sure Voyager will maintain this level of quality throughout its run.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hit a pretty good run of Voyager episodes after Threshold (big lol here, baffling episode).

“Meld” was pretty cool. It’s nice to get a look at a Vulcan who isn’t able to repress his emotions and Tim Russ kills it. An even better, though obvious, choice is to cast Brad Dourif as a mentally unwell murderer. The dynamic of them switching roles as the episode went on was pretty interesting!

“Dreadnought” is just a solid thriller episode. Ticking time bomb, logic arguments with a computer, classic Trek stuff. Good showcase for Torres.

“Death Wish” is a Q episode which is usually a good time. I was furious when someone named Q showed up and it wasn’t John de Lancie but that got sorted out quickly. Not the first piece of media to deal with the horror of immortality but pretty well done. The Riker cameo was shameless lol.

I’m sure Voyager will maintain this level of quality throughout its run.

In that like five or so episodes out of every season are really good and worth watching? Yeah, sure. It does that at least.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just watched "Blink of an Eye" for tomorrow's Greatest Gen and it was pretty alright. Kinda rude to let the Doc have thirty years of adventures off-screen though. And he doesn't even get to Inner Light about them!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wasn't it three?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You're right, guess I misheard that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
"Worst Case Scenario" is a really fun episode, I wish I hadn't even read a summary to spoil some of the narrative tricks. Or I have a vague feeling I might have seen the last 15 minutes before.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is somehow even worse. You either commit or you don't. I loving hate changes to canon made in non-canon sources. Reeks of "the wizards used to poop in the corners" Pottermore poo poo.

Matalas doesn't even commit to the main plot points of the previous seasons of his own show, why would he ever commit to something that was implied, but not explicitly shown on screen.

The guy truly is master craftsman of "a wizard did it" combined with "boomer TNG fan".

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I've been putting this off for a long time but I think it's time after watching pretty much everything else.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Kesper North posted:

But the really unforgiveable part to me was the whole series mcguffin being that a woke collectivist mind virus is infecting the youth and only boomers can save us. It's hard to imagine anything less Trek. More like chuddy passion play. No thanks.

I think this is both being a tad unfair and giving the guy too much credit. The idea that there was any sort of deliberate theme in Picard assumes a level of competence that there’s just no evidence for. I’m pretty sure someone just wrote ‘the next generation’ on a whiteboard and someone else went ‘wait what if the heroes have to save the next generation!? Whoooaaaa’ and because no-one experienced gave a poo poo and knew the same amount of people were gonna watch it regardless no-one went ‘lol wot that’s the hackiest poo poo I’ve ever heard, your fired’. Apparently they couldn’t kick the producers out the lot fast enough the second the PR for Picard was done.

And the chud YouTuber livestream, it wouldn’t of been Terry Mantalis who set that up. I doubt he even knew who those people were. Some social media exec in an agency probably plugged ‘Star Trek’ into some tool and got a list of the YouTubers with the most engagement, and since those guys are all manipulating YouTube’s lovely outrage engine algorithm for engagement, you ended up with chudfest ‘99. That’s on whoever set that up for not doing due diligence, and that’s more importantly on Youtube for creating an algorithm that rewards the shittiest most blindly emotive takes, not Terry Mantalis for bouncing into his 5th contractually obligated PR interview that day.

God I can’t believe I’m writing words to defend that twerp, but don’t assume automatically assume malice when a hack that obviously massively incompetent is involved.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm fairly certain Paramount's media relations department has a list of Do Not Engage With folks and guys like Robert Meyer Burnett and Gary Beuchler and Dave Cullen are up near the top of it. And I'm also fairly certain by this point in time that Matalas is enough of a doorknob that he either didn't even bother to read the email from Paramount PR or just actively ignored it, given the number of times he hung out online with all of them, and probably also ignored all th follow up emails from the media relations team titled "Dude, What The gently caress Are You Doing?" Especially considering all of those fucks have long since been blocked by basically every Paramount-aligned social media account already because they're such mangy cocks.

You can excuse Matalas interacting with some of these folks once. But then he just kept replying and retweeting them and going on more and more of their chudtube shows, and by like the fifth time it happens you kind of start to go :raise: huh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyway, Terry got fired by Paramount and his stupid Twitter hashtag show will never be made, so gently caress him let's all just forget he existed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyway, Terry got fired by Paramount and his stupid Twitter hashtag show will never be made, so gently caress him let's all just forget he existed.

Did he? Kind of a mixed blessing, more adventures with the TNG cast with better staff would have been nice.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

Did he? Kind of a mixed blessing, more adventures with the TNG cast with better staff would have been nice.

Frakes is still interested on lobbying for it, but with the writer's strike and Paramount having financial problems that project is dead.

Unless that Star Trek Academy show is an absolute superhit, which it won't be because its a season 3/4 future-DISCO spinoff where everything has gone to poo poo, and things only happen now in dimly lighted rooms on dutch angles.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

would it have

would it really have

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I feel like Babylon 5 setting up and resolving its war across 4 seasons did a much better job of keeping the viewer engaged than DS9 has done over 7 seasons. Season 5 of Babylon 5 is the weird one because everything is already sort of done but they got a sudden order for an additional season and had to come up with loose ends to wrap up. The cult of Dukat is at least better than the cult of Byron.

B5's arc was always planned that way, the only thing its cancellation/uncancellation flip flop did was move the first four episodes of season five into season four for closure on the war. The ep with Sheridan getting interrogated would've been the season four finale and the telepath cult stuff probably wouldn't have taken up as much space with those other four eps placed in the fifth season, otherwise everything went as planned.

And in that regard, I wish DS9 was more like B5. A season of securing the peace, getting things back to normal after such a massive conflict and exploring the Cardassian reconstruction would've been a lot more interesting than dragging out the war that much longer, I think.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

God I can’t believe I’m writing words to defend that twerp, but don’t assume automatically assume malice when a hack that obviously massively incompetent is involved.

You may note that Keeper North didn't ascribe creator intent to their interpretation, likely because it doesn't matter. Intentional or not, that's how it came off and it sucks massive assimilated donkey balls.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

McSpanky posted:

B5's arc was always planned that way, the only thing its cancellation/uncancellation flip flop did was move the first four episodes of season five into season four for closure on the war. The ep with Sheridan getting interrogated would've been the season four finale and the telepath cult stuff probably wouldn't have taken up as much space with those other four eps placed in the fifth season, otherwise everything went as planned.

And in that regard, I wish DS9 was more like B5. A season of securing the peace, getting things back to normal after such a massive conflict and exploring the Cardassian reconstruction would've been a lot more interesting than dragging out the war that much longer, I think.

I get what you are saying about planned arcs, but shooting scripts and production issues are very different beasts. You also have the departure of Susan Ivanova (Claudia Christian) from the station which required rewriting elements of the season 5 arc and introducing a new character. I know there's no official reason for why Christian left, but I wouldn't be surprised if being canceled and then saved at the last minute didn't play a role. Like maybe hearing that the show was over made her realize how much she wanted to put it behind her so when they offered her a role in season 5, she wasn't interested. It doesn't really matter because the point is that the season 5 that was planned wasn't exactly the season 5 that we got.

As to your broader point, yes, I think you're completely correct. DS9 did not have a fully fleshed out seven season story the way B5 had a 5 season story and I'm guessing it just ends abruptly and doesn't explore reconstruction the way that B5 did. This is an unfortunate missed opportunity.

Anyway, the Breen joined the conflict at the end of the episode I just finished. Worf is a massive dork and I actually like his character a lot less for how he's been treating Ezria. He's such an entitled klingaboo.

Picard season 3 is peak Worf.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Kesper North posted:

But the really unforgiveable part to me was the whole series mcguffin being that a woke collectivist mind virus is infecting the youth and only boomers can save us. It's hard to imagine anything less Trek. More like chuddy passion play. No thanks.

Yikes. I hate this. I had been on the fence about skipping the first two seasons and just watching S3, but gently caress all this.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Confusedslight posted:

I've been putting this off for a long time but I think it's time after watching pretty much everything else.

Good news: it's better than you have heard.

Bad news: you have to listen to the theme song before every single episode because of Space LawTM

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I get what you are saying about planned arcs, but shooting scripts and production issues are very different beasts. You also have the departure of Susan Ivanova (Claudia Christian) from the station which required rewriting elements of the season 5 arc and introducing a new character. I know there's no official reason for why Christian left, but I wouldn't be surprised if being canceled and then saved at the last minute didn't play a role. Like maybe hearing that the show was over made her realize how much she wanted to put it behind her so when they offered her a role in season 5, she wasn't interested. It doesn't really matter because the point is that the season 5 that was planned wasn't exactly the season 5 that we got.

Her wikipedia page says that she got the Terry Farrell treatment and was kicked out after requesting a smaller role for the last season, as she had already another project lined up after the B5 ends.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Der Kyhe posted:

Her wikipedia page says that she got the Terry Farrell treatment and was kicked out after requesting a smaller role for the last season, as she had already another project lined up after the B5 ends.

Ah, the article for Susan Ivanova is a bit more ambiguous. Her actual reason for departing isn't all that important though as her leaving still requires them to modify the story.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tighclops posted:

would it have

would it really have

I CAN DREAM

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Railing Kill posted:

Bad news: you have to listen to the theme song before every single episode because of Space LawTM

As a certified Enterprise Apologist, this is 100 percent accurate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

My understanding is that it was, similarly, a fuckup where JMS, like Behr on DS9, would have been willing to do it but the execs above tried to play hardball and lost her altogether.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Der Kyhe posted:

Frakes is still interested on lobbying for it, but with the writer's strike and Paramount having financial problems that project is dead.

Unless that Star Trek Academy show is an absolute superhit, which it won't be because its a season 3/4 future-DISCO spinoff where everything has gone to poo poo, and things only happen now in dimly lighted rooms on dutch angles.

Speaking of Dutch angles, I would like Trek to give us an update on how Holland is doing in the future and all the dikes are like 200ft tall now and each tulip weighs 47 kg

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Railing Kill posted:

I gotta start this through next and I'm doing the theme once at the beginning and once for the mirror ep and if the space police want to put me in a starfleet penal colony on new zealand that's probably fine with me it looked pretty tight tbh

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Does Star Trek even have climate change like that? I'm pretty sure San Francisco would look pretty different compared to what they've always shown. I don't think they're really going down the Expanse road of flooded out Baltimore.

(plus a global nuclear exchange in the mid 21st century probably had an impact on carbon emissions)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If planets are terraformed, I think we can safely say they figured out how to deal with climate change on Earth

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

nine-gear crow posted:

Where are you seeing he got fired because I can’t find any articles about it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Oh yeah and tng films

well none of them were great, generations was a mediocre tng two parter on twenty times the normal budget and they got progressively worse from there for the next two then nemesis went off the fuckin' cliff goddamn

but that poster who said the intro scene up to the title was fine was right

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

Speaking of Dutch angles, I would like Trek to give us an update on how Holland is doing in the future and all the dikes are like 200ft tall now and each tulip weighs 47 kg

I imagine the entire country has been levitated several feet above sea level.

Also Zwarte Piet has finally been done away with, but has been replaced with the controversial Puntoor Pim

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

*Meekly pokes head into thread*

First Contact was good

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

None of the TNG movies reached the highs of the best TOS movies, but yes, First Contact is the best of the lot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I imagine the entire country has been levitated several feet above sea level.

Also Zwarte Piet has finally been done away with, but has been replaced with the controversial Puntoor Pim

What if they replaced it with a person in Vulcan ears giving you meditation tools for Christmas

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
A Vulcan named Speck who brings you bacon if you've been good

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

None of the TNG movies reached the highs of the best TOS movies, but yes, First Contact is the best of the lot.

I wanted to like it more I mean it's even got picard machine gunning down some borg but it just doesn't feel quite right& the plot never really felt like it came together, and bits like picard smashing the glass and yelling that felt cheesy rather than dramatic

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

Does Star Trek even have climate change like that? I'm pretty sure San Francisco would look pretty different compared to what they've always shown. I don't think they're really going down the Expanse road of flooded out Baltimore.

(plus a global nuclear exchange in the mid 21st century probably had an impact on carbon emissions)

One of the plot elements of Picard season 2 is that on the Europa mission of 2024 we discovered a microorganism on Io that we were ultimately able to bioengineer in a way that enabled us to reverse most of the effects of climate change.

In the alt timeline of the season, that never happens and Earth suffers badly, leading to worse wars even than WW3 and by the 24th century the planet needing massive planet-scale forcefields and brute force engineering to stay habitable.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 7, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

One of the plot elements of Picard season 2 is that on the Europa mission of 2024 we discovered a microorganism on Io that we were ultimately able to bioengineer in a way that enabled us to reverse most of the effects of climate change.

In the alt timeline of the season, that never happens and Earth suffers badly, leading to worse wars even than WW3 and by the 24th century the planet needing massive planet-scale forcefields and brute force engineering to stay habitable.

Honestly it was kind of a pretty cool story hook and a fun bit of world-building, but in true Picard fashion, it was implemented in the worst way possible.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

I wanted to like it more I mean it's even got picard machine gunning down some borg but it just doesn't feel quite right& the plot never really felt like it came together, and bits like picard smashing the glass and yelling that felt cheesy rather than dramatic

I might be misremembering this, but wasn't the roles of Picard and Riker basically switched in the story fairly late into the pre-production process? The original plan was that Picard goes to planet to ensure that the first flight happens as it should, him being historian and an archeologist and all. And Riker stays onboard to fight for the borg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Where are you seeing he got fired because I can’t find any articles about it.

From what I heard, he wasn't fired, but he was only contracted to work on Picard seasons 2 & 3 or something (and he didn't do much on 2). So now that those are done, he's out the door.

He wasn't fired, but he's not working at Paramount anymore.