Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve actually done a lot more tinkering g, so there’s a newer version on my home computer, but I’m still curious if I’m headed in the right direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

aite I’ll wait then

Pollyanna posted:

^^^ when i get some time i’ll have a listen!

made some hosed up medieval/dramatic sounding poo poo with some fm patches and a random electric organ vst

https://on.soundcloud.com/2ccMt

got sick of not making music so i just sorta let a random-rear end sketch happen, this isn't even actually a track it's just some ideas thrown together. but i like some things it does so i might as well show that i haven't been COMPLETELY lazy :v:

upon another listen to this it’s actually rather arse so just ignore it

I tried to mess around with some non-diatonic tones and yyyyeah it sounds bad. also i actually rather dislike that distortion guitar patch, at least the way it’s used here.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

aite I’ll wait then

upon another listen to this it’s actually rather arse so just ignore it

I tried to mess around with some non-diatonic tones and yyyyeah it sounds bad. also i actually rather dislike that distortion guitar patch, at least the way it’s used here.

I ignored your suggestion to ignore it and listened to the whole thing.

in the beginning we encounter additional elements before the motif finishes establishing itself in the listener, which could feel jarring. my suggestion would be to lengthen your motifs, introduce mild melodic or rhythmic (or dynamic!) variation before adding a new element.

there’s a lot happening in very high frequencies, which may benefit from some EQ massaging. The middle-end before the pitch shifting felt sort of like a melodic fire alarm (this is not a demerit).

non-diatonic tones in most modern western music will feel at home in between the 2nd–3rd and 4th-5th of the scale (and sometimes between b7 and 1). My experience usually has these as passing tones to a chord tone, but other musical cultures do completely wild things with quarter-tone sustained sung harmonies that you might replicate easily enough with your tonebox.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
or in brief my advice is to consider: “before I add, what can I take away?”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

I ignored your suggestion to ignore it and listened to the whole thing.

in the beginning we encounter additional elements before the motif finishes establishing itself in the listener, which could feel jarring. my suggestion would be to lengthen your motifs, introduce mild melodic or rhythmic (or dynamic!) variation before adding a new element.

haha yep, correct! it’s barely a composition at all - it’s a scratchpad of musical ideas that more or less just share the same temporal position. it’s musical stuffing strung together for the sake of being strung together, and no attention was made to making it flow. it kind of came about as a result of the multi-track workflow, and I didn’t think any further than “idk mute this track here I guess”.

one of my biggest weaknesses is arrangement and composition, and developing a musical idea into a larger cohesive work. so far all I’ve really been able to do is add tracks on top of tracks :negative: i don’t feel like I have a handle on what I’m planning to do and why. I want to really study composition someday tbqh.

quote:

there’s a lot happening in very high frequencies, which may benefit from some EQ massaging. The middle-end before the pitch shifting felt sort of like a melodic fire alarm (this is not a demerit).

lol I didn’t even slightly think about the mix. almost everything is a placeholder fm patch and boy does fm annihilate your ears after a while. I should probably change my placeholders

quote:

non-diatonic tones in most modern western music will feel at home in between the 2nd–3rd and 4th-5th of the scale (and sometimes between b7 and 1). My experience usually has these as passing tones to a chord tone, but other musical cultures do completely wild things with quarter-tone sustained sung harmonies that you might replicate easily enough with your tonebox.

the note in question is the tritone so no matter what that track is gonna sound dissonant as gently caress :v: which was kinda the point - the entire reason I went with that organ and the pedaled arp bell is because i heard it and went “oo medieval spooky lmao”. I have no idea how to use nondiatonic tones. one day maybe

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

^^^ when i get some time i’ll have a listen!

made some hosed up medieval/dramatic sounding poo poo with some fm patches and a random electric organ vst

https://on.soundcloud.com/2ccMt

got sick of not making music so i just sorta let a random-rear end sketch happen, this isn't even actually a track it's just some ideas thrown together. but i like some things it does so i might as well show that i haven't been COMPLETELY lazy :v:

i think this is neat, like some castlevania type music, and that you're consistently way too hard on yourself. this isn't for a grade, it's not to be judged. just have fun with it and make cool sounds. everyone's style is different and that's what makes music cool and good

anyway, here's something i finally finished, after sitting untouched for something like 3 months. i've been too lazy to post other stuff but have been making here and there

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/symphonic-castanets

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

i'm rendering

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnyN_mDwORs

I trimmed a lot of notes and focused on making a more coherent and balanced structure.
I'm a lot happier with this result.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

very nice! i quite like that. an easy listen with good progression. definitely better than the music i’ve made, imo.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i think this is neat, like some castlevania type music, and that you're consistently way too hard on yourself. this isn't for a grade, it's not to be judged. just have fun with it and make cool sounds. everyone's style is different and that's what makes music cool and good

i knowwwwwww i’m hard on myself. it’s just that i can tell these problems are 100% solvable, i just get frustrated cause i haven’t figured them out (yet?). gifted kid syndrome i guess, maybe i expect too much of myself by thinking i should be able to figure out anything that gets thrown my way.

quote:

anyway, here's something i finally finished, after sitting untouched for something like 3 months. i've been too lazy to post other stuff but have been making here and there

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/symphonic-castanets

as a spanish speaker i’m gonna have to demand more guitar with those castanets :colbert:

i like it a lot! i’m not nearly as good at critiquing classical tho, i should really learn about it more. sounds great to me tho.

remind me again what sound libraries you use? i really need a good set, and even if these are expensive i might yank ‘em for myself anyway.

—-

i’d actually really like to talk(/complain/whine) about form and structure, cause i’m woefully underdeveloped in that department. i’m the kind of person who needs structure, organization, and planning - without that, i flounder and get overwhelmed. it already sucks to have that in the rest of my life, i really don’t want it to happen with music too.

like basically i’m a disorganized mess and it shows in my music: form-wise, my poo poo’s a nondescript whatever. my musical ideas just get arbitrarily mashed together because i am completely lost when it comes to the horizontal (i.e. the time axis). sure, i can make a little one-or-two-bar arpeggio with a matching bassline and a pad or two, but i’m at a loss to organize or arrange that material other than hitting play on all those tracks.

i want to get better at making music, that’s just what i’m driven to do for some godsforsaken reason. to do that, i really need to work on my own system of composition. i’ve contemplated taking a break from the multi-track driven nature of my daw and trying to write for piano or guitar or something, anything that requires me to build horizontally instead of vertically. but even then i still want to find some sort of paradigm or strategy to a long-running work. hell i’ll even take a loving template at this point, at least it’s something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

also UUUUUGHHHHHHH dry fm patches are actually pretty gross, at least for that loving distortion guitar one. very much not a good timbre to start off on

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

hell i’ll even take a loving template at this point, at least it’s something.

here’s another thing you can do for this kind of mental fence!

In your DAW of choice:

1) import a finished track you dig (anyone’s track)

2) slice it up at every point of notable change.

3) now mute that track and use the slice timestamps / general waveforms as an outline for your own sounds.

derivative? absolutely! effective? just as much!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i spend a bunch of time just recreating music i like to get a feel for how they've layered instruments to get a particular sound. i do it by ear and add/take away stuff sometimes to play with it. it's good a way for me to learn

Pollyanna posted:

remind me again what sound libraries you use? i really need a good set, and even if these are expensive i might yank ‘em for myself anyway.

it's a mix of eastwest's hollywood/symphonic orchestra/pianos/percussion, spitfire symphony orchestra professional, virharmonics solo violin/cello, and SWAM modeling for solo trumpet

i use reaper as my DAW, but also mess with sibelius and dorico sometimes if i want to write in sheet music notation. i find it being less abstract than say piano roll makes it easier for some things

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

here’s another thing you can do for this kind of mental fence!

In your DAW of choice:

1) import a finished track you dig (anyone’s track)

2) slice it up at every point of notable change.

3) now mute that track and use the slice timestamps / general waveforms as an outline for your own sounds.

derivative? absolutely! effective? just as much!

but then is it really my own? or did i just copy someone else’s homework?

for some reason i have this mental block on using tracks in this manner. like it’s cheating or something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pollyanna posted:

for some reason i have this mental block on using tracks in this manner. like it’s cheating or something.

every single thing we're doing is copying homework and altering it so we dont get busted by the plagiarism bot

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

then im rollin a thief

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

thing is tho is that unless you do it in the most generic, vague way you’ll end up making effectively the same song. if you note down anything more complex than “2 bars in bring in percussion” or “chorus starts around 1:05” then you’re gonna be making structural decisions identical to that of the template

so there’s a balance to strike, like you can’t include specifics on the sounds. you can’t write down “swanky guitar starts here” or “mute vocal patches here” cause that’s too specific. gotta be vague

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I need to come up with a guitar part and a live keyboard part for this song I'm working on, but I just can't. It's really unfortunate... I like what I have so far, and I probably could easily program something in, but I really want to start doing more actual instrument playing.

I can dick around on the guitar just fine when it's plugged into the amplifier with the Volcas going and I'm not recording, but when I plug the guitar into my computer and try to start playing along to the part that needs guitar, my brain decides to go on a psychic tour of the feedlot sloughs of North Carolina and I completely mess it up.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

thing is tho is that unless you do it in the most generic, vague way you’ll end up making effectively the same song. if you note down anything more complex than “2 bars in bring in percussion” or “chorus starts around 1:05” then you’re gonna be making structural decisions identical to that of the template

so there’s a balance to strike, like you can’t include specifics on the sounds. you can’t write down “swanky guitar starts here” or “mute vocal patches here” cause that’s too specific. gotta be vague

did you identify the 12 notes of the chromatic scale? no? then bad news buddy, you're stealing medieval monks works

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

im_sorry posted:

I need to come up with a guitar part and a live keyboard part for this song I'm working on, but I just can't. It's really unfortunate... I like what I have so far, and I probably could easily program something in, but I really want to start doing more actual instrument playing.

I can dick around on the guitar just fine when it's plugged into the amplifier with the Volcas going and I'm not recording, but when I plug the guitar into my computer and try to start playing along to the part that needs guitar, my brain decides to go on a psychic tour of the feedlot sloughs of North Carolina and I completely mess it up.

Sing a scratch track and then learn to play it

Program something and then learn to play it

Just let the recording run, especially if your DAW supports takes - ie let it loop and just play for 30 mins and then go back and cherry pick what you like

In any of those you'll likely make some 'mistakes' that you end up liking more than what you set out to do.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

havelock posted:

Sing a scratch track and then learn to play it

this sounds like the dumbest thing in the world but it's actually really really good for coming up with new melodic parts. Listen to the rhythm core of your track and sing "doo doo doo" or "bow chicka bow wow" or "deedly deedly wooooo" into a scratch track. Then pick up an instrument and emulate that

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

havelock posted:

Just let the recording run, especially if your DAW supports takes - ie let it loop and just play for 30 mins and then go back and cherry pick what you like

I'm pretty sure Reaper supports this - I think I turned it on once by accident - but I don't know how it works. I've been using Reaper since 2017, and there's still so much about it that I don't even know I don't know.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

hi all we are doing a stream tonight in around 1h20 https://trenthawkins.bandcamp.com/live/telecharger-livestream-109 click if you like krautrock synth jam and noodling and stuff like that

there are twitch links in the description if thats what you prefer

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)

Pollyanna posted:

forget about copying homework, copy the presets

https://youtu.be/CsmjyCU4sNM

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

every single thing we're doing is copying homework and altering it so we dont get busted by the plagiarism bot

whenever I go and listen to homework it inspires me because I forget how simple it is, how achievable that is, and also how much it feels more like they’re playing the instruments (knob fiddling) rather than sequencing it our tracker style.

not that that’s objectively the best way to do it but it appeals to me at least

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i wasnt talking about the daft punk album but thats cool

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I make all my music from scratch out of my head

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

writing complete arrangements top to bottom is probably the only real skill I have. too bad I have to make a living writing mediocre code instead

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i never have the patience but I definitely can twiddle some knobs over a beat

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve been wanting to try something with compound meter idk

I really like odd time signatures

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ruffian Price posted:

writing complete arrangements top to bottom is probably the only real skill I have. too bad I have to make a living writing mediocre code instead

share your wisdom friend

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

oh poo poo oh god

best I can do in text is that if you sing and hum to yourself a lot it's fantastic for naturally grokking four part harmony. might need to kill the part of you that cringes first, especially if you were raised in a city. maybe you've noticed that a lot of people seem to be able to sing second voice to random songs without really being able to explain it. you can practice and build on that! solfege as a practice depended on this. ime just being able to imagine the 2-4 part voice leading from a melody you thought up is usually enough to sit down at a sequencer and bang out all parts without thinking

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
skipping 100 posts to say I'm done with music. got assaulted by an artist in the studio last night. no lasting damage, but gently caress that noise.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

fins posted:

skipping 100 posts to say I'm done with music. got assaulted by an artist in the studio last night. no lasting damage, but gently caress that noise.

Jesus gently caress...

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

fins posted:

glad nothing's ruined but what the gently caress, that's some poo poo.

I've been in studios where people have real strong opinions about the mix but never to the point of violence.

e: forgot I came in here to post this little doodle, which I do not expect to finish but had a fun time fussing over https://soundcloud.com/user-265772173-309426/2023-08-14-1830-whiskey

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 14, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
played a bit of my acoustic guitar last night

about the only song I remember how to play mostly is wish you were here (including the intro lead) and my son loves pink floyd but somehow I’ve never played it in front of him and played thru till end of the first verse and he said it was fuckin sick lol

validated!! for the moment at least

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I did my first ever gig on Saturday, was just 15 minutes on my purpose built eurorack rig and to a fairly small crowd, but holy crap was it outside my comfort zone and so glad I said gently caress it and just did it.

So, now I'm preparing for the next one. People seem to dig the more upbeat parts, even though the other electronic sets were more ambient/abstract, so I'm going to do more of the same! Here's tonights early effort, just got to see what I can do to stretch it out a bit and find a way to blend it into the next patch, whatever that ends up being.
https://soundcloud.com/djfireextinguisher/uig4

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

e: forgot I came in here to post this little doodle, which I do not expect to finish but had a fun time fussing over https://soundcloud.com/user-265772173-309426/2023-08-14-1830-whiskey
thats rad as hell

echinopsis posted:

played a bit of my acoustic guitar last night

about the only song I remember how to play mostly is wish you were here (including the intro lead) and my son loves pink floyd but somehow I’ve never played it in front of him and played thru till end of the first verse and he said it was fuckin sick lol

validated!! for the moment at least
thats also rad, congrats

fins posted:

that sucks horribly. mind if I ask what happened?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

toiletbrush posted:

I did my first ever gig on Saturday, was just 15 minutes on my purpose built eurorack rig and to a fairly small crowd, but holy crap was it outside my comfort zone and so glad I said gently caress it and just did it.

this is inspiring thanks for sharing

I really do think the garbage I produce is decent enough for someone to enjoy live but I need to get off my rear end. fundamental motivation is becoming very difficult lately tho lol. but your post honestly makes me think it’s possible

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
My filthy aquarium - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2RX46VnKec

The song is called "There's someone at the door (and it ain't Jesus)", and features a manipulated sample of my birds and dogs howling when someone came to the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

this is inspiring thanks for sharing

I really do think the garbage I produce is decent enough for someone to enjoy live but I need to get off my rear end. fundamental motivation is becoming very difficult lately tho lol. but your post honestly makes me think it’s possible
the bar for live music is really, really, really low, and you're stuff is well above it. Just do it!

some of the other acts before and after me were fuckin atrocious but they still got claps and cheers. just play music you like and dgaf.