Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The very long transport sections in some activities gets a bit annoying yeah. At least put some token enemies there to break it up.

Ghosts of the Deep is especially annoying in this regard, where you have the whole section between opening the door and getting to the first boss that's almost 10 minutes of just running and swimming with only a handful of enemies along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lmao dumbass Kujay posted a new whiny thread about PvP maps and every AAA developer on Twitter is dunking on how insanely wrong and stupid he is. Destiny kicks rear end forever

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Since I had to look up who that is, I'll post it

https://twitter.com/Kujay_/status/1688208414957260800?s=20

I understand why so many Destiny players are having their death throes right now, but as a Streamer I'd just be keeping my mouth shut while I figure out my new game

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Way back in 2014 there was a tug of war between the pvp team and the narrative team over who got to name the maps. Whenever a narrative lead would go on vacation (crunch induced meltdown subtype) the PVP team would rush over and be like "hey we want to name the maps XYZ" and then the narrative lead would come back and get mad and change everything back. Eventually I think narrative mostly won which is good because PVP wanted very simple Quake/Call of Duty style names like "Array" or "Town".

That moon map that I think ended up being called Cauldron was super hard to name. I think we had to send a list all the way up to Jason Jones or Luke Smith to get them to pick a favorite.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
anyone who still has a twitter account should take a spin through the quote tweets, dude is getting absolutely COOKED

eta: stop stop he's already dead
https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1688324301361938433?s=20

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 7, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Look, it’s simple. Instead of letting the PVP team make one map in 12 months, we’ll hire three more PVP teams and have each of them make 25% of a map in 3 months, then merge them together. One PVP map per season! I am a game design genius

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, probably the answer would be to have a dedicated Crucible and Gambit team so stuff like new maps or evolving game modes would be more common like the Seasonal team, but Bungie isn't that kind of company, nor does it have the ability to have other studios pitch like back in the Activision days

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Way back in 2014 there was a tug of war between the pvp team and the narrative team over who got to name the maps. Whenever a narrative lead would go on vacation (crunch induced meltdown subtype) the PVP team would rush over and be like "hey we want to name the maps XYZ" and then the narrative lead would come back and get mad and change everything back. Eventually I think narrative mostly won which is good because PVP wanted very simple Quake/Call of Duty style names like "Array" or "Town".

That moon map that I think ended up being called Cauldron was super hard to name. I think we had to send a list all the way up to Jason Jones or Luke Smith to get them to pick a favorite.

I love hearing stories like this (and I’m glad narrative team won—between the Crucible arena names and their D1 grimoire cards, a lot of stuff was set up to later be knocked down. the K1 Anomaly!)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sucks to hear bungie was crunching their employees :smith:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you're only just learning about this now, you really have not been paying attention.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Everyone was crunching in 2014, trying to eliminate it industry-wide is a fairly recent push

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Bungie in particular has talked a big game about trying to get rid of crunch—even citing how horrendously awful it was during Halo 2 iirc—though you’d have to speak to someone who actually works there to gauge how well that’s going (and I wouldn’t be surprised if contractors like Gen. Battuta had a somewhat different set of rules to boot)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Just did my mandated 5 strikes, and the 1st and 3rd were New Omnigul.

Either give us repeat protection(that actually works), or let us do map bans like this is loving R6S.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

yeah basically the entirety of halo 2's development was crunched.

They've stopped nowadays (as has most studios), but bungie was legendary for it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
THEY’RE DRIVING THE DISCOURSE TO A MELTDOWN!! IT’S GOING PROMPT CRITICAL!! https://twitter.com/destinybulletn/status/1688593106357362688?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Hey Joe, how much d'you think we can piss 'em off without hurting Final Shape's sales?"

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Everyone making a mad video is gonna buy Final Shape regardless, its the quiet drop offs they’ll lose.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
im logging in for the first time since March and everything new in this game seems pretty neat and I don't get why people are so mad

i simply would not play the part of this game that wants me to do 3 gambit/crucible things a week, personally

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh yeah I knew of Bungie Crunch. General B shared some of his horror stories in this very thread in the past. It just continues to make me sad when more stories come out

RocketRaygun posted:

yeah basically the entirety of halo 2's development was crunched.

They've stopped nowadays (as has most studios), but bungie was legendary for it.

'They crunched for Halo 2 and nowadays have stopped' is right up there with 'Germany was up to no good in WW1 but have stopped nowadays'... kinda dismissing a lot of people's pain there

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

abraham linksys posted:

im logging in for the first time since March and everything new in this game seems pretty neat and I don't get why people are so mad

i simply would not play the part of this game that wants me to do 3 gambit/crucible things a week, personally

Switching from doing all rituals on all characters each week to focusing on rituals when there's a double rep week or a seasonal challenge that requires something on rotation (like crucible game types) was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
i log in occasionally for what I need, I did all the seasonal widgets I needed to and got what I wanted out of solstice.

D2 doesn't provide an infinite font of content for all time, and it's ok to take a break. dunno why there's so much wailing and gnashing of teeth about grim realities regarding what Bungie is deciding to focus on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paracelsus posted:

Switching from doing all rituals on all characters each week to focusing on rituals when there's a double rep week or a seasonal challenge that requires something on rotation (like crucible game types) was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Running only one character for virtually my entire destiny career was the single best decision I ever made

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

Running only one character for virtually my entire destiny career was the single best decision I ever made

It's fine, nobody expects a Titan to be able to count to 3 anyway.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh yeah I knew of Bungie Crunch. General B shared some of his horror stories in this very thread in the past. It just continues to make me sad when more stories come out

'They crunched for Halo 2 and nowadays have stopped' is right up there with 'Germany was up to no good in WW1 but have stopped nowadays'... kinda dismissing a lot of people's pain there

DAE think working 60 hours a week is just like the holocaust? :shepface:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sure buddy

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

:chloe:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RocketRaygun posted:

Swing and a miss

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Marathon is going to be the most professional studio’s take on the genre since hunt showdown and I deeply hope it’s actually good and can provide an alternative to hunt. realistically it’s probably going to chase tarkov’s format like everyone else and there are a lot of reasons to be pessimistic about that dev being bungie specifically. it will definitely give some insight into whether some of destiny’s issues are more due to the game’s technical foundations and live service challenges or just due to bungie’s choices.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Owl Inspector posted:

Marathon is going to be the most professional studio’s take on the genre since hunt showdown and I deeply hope it’s actually good and can provide an alternative to hunt. realistically it’s probably going to chase tarkov’s format like everyone else and there are a lot of reasons to be pessimistic about that dev being bungie specifically. it will definitely give some insight into whether some of destiny’s issues are more due to the game’s technical foundations and live service challenges or just due to bungie’s choices.

Imo there's no way that Marathon isn't a live service game

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I feel like extraction shooters came and went at this point though. Like CoD did theirs and I don’t think it went all that well.

I’ll admit I could be wrong though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I trust the studio to make their game a thoroughly unique, Bungie experience. For better and for worse. I'd be shocked if it had a significant resemblance to any other uh... "tarkovs" on the market (I still don't understand what genre this game is other than that it sounds exactly like a battle royale but isn't one)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's Bungie, which in 2023 means dripfed content, microtransactions with all the subtlety of a brick to the kidneys and a story that fluctuates from "pretty good" to "cringe garbage" to "completely impenetrable pseudo philosophical nonsense" multiple times in the same scene, but motherFUCKER that gunplay.

(The secret is to ignore the microtransactions and be really into the impenetrable nonsense)

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 7, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lord Packinham posted:

I feel like extraction shooters came and went at this point though. Like CoD did theirs and I don’t think it went all that well.

I’ll admit I could be wrong though.

A few weeks ago hunt broke its concurrent playercount record and the game is 5 years old, so there’s no question whether it can be profitable and sustainable. it’s been steadily gaining players for a few years, despite being a niche game for insane people. that said, the big playercount record was 45,000 which is a tiny fraction of destiny’s numbers so it’s hard to see how bungie is going to turn this genre into a big success unless they explicitly aren’t trying to do destiny numbers with marathon and have a much smaller budget for the game. If they’re trying to make it successful on a mass scale it will probably have to be different to the point that it doesn’t really resemble other games in the genre.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I trust the studio to make their game a thoroughly unique, Bungie experience. For better and for worse. I'd be shocked if it had a significant resemblance to any other uh... "tarkovs" on the market (I still don't understand what genre this game is other than that it sounds exactly like a battle royale but isn't one)

if you ever played Division 1 and played the Survival mode, that's what "tarkovs" means.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What "extraction shooter" means today is that you go into a large multiplayer arena, get some items, and then have to complete additional tasks in order to "extract" from the area while carrying the items. If you succeed, the items are permanently yours. If you fail, the items are lost. The primary cause of failure is that other players found and killed you. There are other wrinkles on top of this but the basic framework of making a risky expedition into a PVP world is the core of it. Escape from Tarkov was the first and most popular of these, which is why its name is coming up a lot.

That said, I think the people who expect "Tarkov with bright colors" are going to be surprised. I think (hope) that Bungie has come up with a unique twist on it which makes it feel more approachable and less like wagering your time poorly, especially for the apparently huge part of their current fandom that isn't big on PVP

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 7, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Was there any sort of model for Destiny or, hell, Halo or the original Marathon when those came out? Bungie gets into ruts when their series have been going on for a while but they tend to swing big coming out, at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The model for the final version of Halo (and what we got) was Marathon 2: Durandal, more or less

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I actually really like the idea of Marathon being Bungie looking around and playing a bunch of extraction shooters and teasing out what works and then pairing it with Bungie quality gunplay (something none of those games get anywhere near). I absolutely don't need or want them to get big brained on it. Part of the reason Destiny was such a disaster at launch was that they genuinely had no idea what the gently caress they were building, and then they had to iterate towards something that made any sense over the course of a decade and two games, and still wound up with something held back by what they started with (both on the technology and design end of things). Like, remember the story of the Diablo 3 developers coming over to Bungie in 2014 and having a meeting like "so, you've accidentally made a loot game with no endgame?" That is the kind of thing I want Bungie to avoid.

I'd much rather them make a smaller-scale bet of "let's make something in this existing genre but accessible to normal people who don't spend their lives watching Twitch streams." They could still gently caress it up and wind up with the equivalent of, like, Ubisoft trying to get into battle royales with Hyper Scape, but I think they at least have enough of a sense of game balance and feel for it to not be that bad.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Marathon.

PvP first Extraction Shooter.

Not gonna lie they had me in the first half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sunday at work posted:

Marathon.

PvP first Extraction Shooter.

Not gonna lie they had me in the first half.

Teleport Extract when ready