Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Pretty sure you have to invite her to your home via Home app. I do this with my parents when they visit. It’s annoying they get all the notifications from the garage doors and poo poo by default, but whatever.

With my lock you can set up a guest code in Home. Does yours support that? Obviously not as slick as holding your phone to the door, but a guest number would be just as quick.

Yep, it does codes, but I was really hoping I could just share the Home Key for that slick phone tap. I might just have her reinstall Home, add her, then delete the app and see if the key still persists in Wallet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm looking for recommendations on two potential white whale pieces of tech:

1. A brilliant smart home panel but ESPhome or similar compatible with home assistant.

2. A smart fan switch with motion/humidity detection. ZigBee or zwave.

Pretty sure these don't exist at present but I figured I'd ask if anyone has experience with these.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

:same:

I see people post things on reddit that look absolutely stunning. Then I go back to my basic-rear end setup and cry.

I was just trying last night to put a clock card on a screen, because I want to have a display in my garage that shows time, weather, and a few other things. It seemed incredibly difficult to put up anything that didn't look like absolute dogshit... certainly nothing built in to HA that I could find, and there were only like 3 "clock" options in HACS, and none of them looked very good. Plus my HACS is broken and I can't seem to fix it for whatever reason right now.

Seems to me that it takes an absolute ton of effort to make good looking UIs. I've never put much time in to it, but that's partially because when I do attempt it I usually run in to stupid roadblocks that turn me off from it.

I got bored and started googling instead of working and found a few folks making videos/write ups:

This one is nice with example YAML for each card:
https://homeautomation.academy/recipes/creating-home-assistant-status-dashboard/

Mushroom appears like it might work/has a editor UI for each individual card instead of straight yaml hell
https://smarthomescene.com/guides/mushroom-cards-complete-guide-to-a-clean-minimalistic-home-assistant-ui/

This article talks about building a dashboard but no module specific info:
https://www.smarthomejunkie.net/take-back-control-of-your-home-assistant-dashboard-now/

This one is tailored for a mobile/tablet dashboard. (I have a Galaxy Tab A7 with Kiosk as a control pad, so relevant to my interests/guest use)
https://theawesomegarage.com/blog/responsive-home-assistant-dashboard-for-mobile-tablet-and-desktop

Another Tablet Dashboard Guide:
https://siytek.com/home-assistant-dashboard/

Edit: i made a (very) basic thing! but it works on the tablet in Kiosk mode :D

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 29, 2023

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I feel like I'm crazy here but I've been googling and there doesn't seem to be a simple way to do this. I bought the Matter version of https://www.evehome.com/en-us/eve-door-window and all I want to do is get a notification if the door has been left open than, say, longer than 5 minutes. I don't care about notifications every time it opens and closes, I just want to make sure a door we don't normally use isn't accidentally left open. I've dug around in the Apple Home app and the Eve app and can't find anything like that, nor do I find any helpful results searching. Anyone have any recommendations on how to accomplish that? I'm 100% open to returning this thing and getting a different product, but would prefer Matter support.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

rafikki posted:

I feel like I'm crazy here but I've been googling and there doesn't seem to be a simple way to do this. I bought the Matter version of https://www.evehome.com/en-us/eve-door-window and all I want to do is get a notification if the door has been left open than, say, longer than 5 minutes. I don't care about notifications every time it opens and closes, I just want to make sure a door we don't normally use isn't accidentally left open. I've dug around in the Apple Home app and the Eve app and can't find anything like that, nor do I find any helpful results searching. Anyone have any recommendations on how to accomplish that? I'm 100% open to returning this thing and getting a different product, but would prefer Matter support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/z7gb2p/eve_door_sensor_to_alert_when_the_door_has_been/

Seems to be options here with shortcuts.

Should be very easy with home assistant though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use Aqara door sensors in HomeKit for that exact purpose since my kids are knuckleheads and leave doors open all the time.

There’s no way in standard automations to do anything if a door is opened for X minutes, unfortunately. You can, however, use the Aqara app to set up these automations. I have them set to notify me every time certain doors are left open for 5 mins, and if they’re opened at all between the hours of 11pm and 7am.

Sucks you can’t do it in the Home app though. I hate having to keep a bunch of apps on my phone for different automations like this, Hue (setting light scenes in Home is horrible), and my Pentair pool controls.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/z7gb2p/eve_door_sensor_to_alert_when_the_door_has_been/

Seems to be options here with shortcuts.

Should be very easy with home assistant though.

Huh, I guess I suck at googling because that did not show up for me. I’ll play around with those options. Thanks!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

rafikki posted:

Huh, I guess I suck at googling because that did not show up for me. I’ll play around with those options. Thanks!

It's not you, Google sucks at Googling now.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Posted this in the iPhone thread but I guess this thread is more appropriate -

I recently got a Homepod mini for my bedroom, which also acts as a home hub for a couple of smart switches and bulbs in the room. The only people added to the 'home' are my and my partner who shares the room with us. However, if I'm listening to music on the Homepod from my iPhone or whatever, it shows up as 'now playing' on the lock screens of my housemates with iPhones, which is not only annoying for them but also means they end up accidentally pausing/skipping tracks.Obviously we all share a wifi network, but those housemates are also not part of my HomeKit network. Is there anything I can do about this?

edit: fixed it. If anyone else ever comes across this, the setting is here https://www.xda-developers.com/how-...tput%20devices.

It's real stupid that this is set to 'same network' by default, but also that you can't set it on a per-speaker basis. It'd be nice to have another HomePod in the living room that everyone can use, for example.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 9, 2023

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
The voice control stuff they added in Home Assistant is working great so far for me, controlling it from my Android phone. Now I want to replace all of my Amazon Echo devices with something that works with it - has anybody here attempted that yet?

Maybe even just some sort of cheap android tablet for the countertop would work

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fletcher posted:

The voice control stuff they added in Home Assistant is working great so far for me, controlling it from my Android phone. Now I want to replace all of my Amazon Echo devices with something that works with it - has anybody here attempted that yet?

Maybe even just some sort of cheap android tablet for the countertop would work

I haven't tried voice control but I've got multiple kindle fires that I've bough refurbed/on sale that are my HA panels. I've had this set up for a long time, so they are all pointed at a web page using fully kiosk, which has nice features such as dimming the screen when no motion has been detected in <x> minutes, the ability for HA to push sounds and pages to it, etc. I assume the voice stuff would require running the HA android app, so that might be problematic for me depending on feature parity. Either way, android tables are cheap and reasonable quality android tablets. If you really really want the android app store/google play services on them that's even possible, just an annoying slog for 15 minutes or so. (The one in my kitchen is set up this way just so I can run Paprika recipe manager, which requires play services for license authentication)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What are my options for HomeKit lightbulbs if I don’t have access to my apartment’s router? My new place has wifi provided by the landlord and it’s been ok so far so I don’t see any reason to pay for my own internet connection.

E: I have an iPad that stays at home “most” of the time that could handle automation related stuff, I think. But afaik it can’t act as a hub.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 12, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

What are my options for HomeKit lightbulbs if I don’t have access to my apartment’s router? My new place has wifi provided by the landlord and it’s been ok so far so I don’t see any reason to pay for my own internet connection.

E: I have an iPad that stays at home “most” of the time that could handle automation related stuff, I think. But afaik it can’t act as a hub.

Having just set up some HomeKit stuff, you might be okay (you don’t need access to a router to set up HomeKit things), but if things break or are inconsistent it is of course helpful to get into the router. Having a hub will help stability significantly. But yes all setup happens via your phone or tablet and you won’t need to get into the router to at least get going.

If the router turns out not up to the job, you can also buy your own and connect it to the existing router to create your own wireless network off the existing internet connection.

E: you’ll need a hub for automation

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The HomeKit setup process should transfer the Wi-Fi credentials from your apple device to the new thing without you having to do anything. A potential snag is that a lot of smart home gear is 2.4Ghz only and if the landlord didn’t or won’t enable that type of network you will run into problems

A $99 HomePod Mini can function as a HomeKit hub

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Oh yeah apple home stuff can sometimes struggle when devices operate across different bands. Might be on depending on your router as isps have done a pretty good job of patching theirnrouters but if you’re running into problems being able to disable 5ghz so everything is on the same band is a good solution.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hue bridged lamps gives zero fucks about routers since it has a direct https link with Signify servers to do remote commands.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've only ever used Hue lightbulbs and when I bought them they needed to be connected to a Hue Hub which needed to be connected to the router… I thought via ethernet only but I could be misremembering. I sold it all when I moved out of that house a bit ago. But that's why I was saying I don't have access to my router to plug things into it. But I see now on Hue's website that you can just skip the Hub altogether and use Bluetooth so that's a familiar option I guess. Are there any better/cheaper ones that can be set up via Bluetooth or even wifi? Also it looks like the wifi AP is broadcasting 5 GHz only.

e: I want color, all of the colors.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've only ever used Hue lightbulbs and when I bought them they needed to be connected to a Hue Hub which needed to be connected to the router… I thought via ethernet only but I could be misremembering. I sold it all when I moved out of that house a bit ago. But that's why I was saying I don't have access to my router to plug things into it. But I see now on Hue's website that you can just skip the Hub altogether and use Bluetooth so that's a familiar option I guess. Are there any better/cheaper ones that can be set up via Bluetooth or even wifi? Also it looks like the wifi AP is broadcasting 5 GHz only.

e: I want color, all of the colors.

You connect the bulbs to the bridge and the bridge to the internet. Using the app you set up the bridge to allow remote access, you set up a hue account and all the commands will pass thru signify servers to command the bridge. You cannot do this with hue bulbs over bluetooth since they expect line of sight to work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

You connect the bulbs to the bridge and the bridge to the internet. Using the app you set up the bridge to allow remote access, you set up a hue account and all the commands will pass thru signify servers to command the bridge.

I can’t connect a Hue Bridge to the internet because I can’t plug it into the router. I get Wi-Fi provided by the landlord for the building. The AP is broadcasting a 5GHz signal.

I’m looking for my best option for color lightbulbs that I can control on my phone/with Siri that either connects directly to wifi or something else. But I cannot plug anything into the router.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 12, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can’t connect a Hue Bridge to the internet because I can’t plug it into the router. I get Wi-Fi provided by the landlord for the building. The AP is broadcasting a 5GHz signal.

I’m looking for my best option for color lightbulbs that I can control on my phone/with Siri that either connects directly to wifi or something else. But I cannot plug anything into the router.

First, nothing stops you from getting your internet line over lte if you don't want to have to deal with petty tyrants.
Second, gl.inet makes ethernet to wifi bridges for pennies.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

???

I've been perfectly happy with the building wifi, why the gently caress would I want to pay a $60+ monthly bill for my own internet connection just to turn on some lights with my voice?

jfc I'm asking for options that would work with what I have available (no physical access to router, AP only broadcasting 5GHz hotspot)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

???

I've been perfectly happy with the building wifi, why the gently caress would I want to pay a $60+ monthly bill for my own internet connection just to turn on some lights with my voice?

jfc I'm asking for options that would work with what I have available (no physical access to router, AP only broadcasting 5GHz hotspot)

Smart bulbs over wifi tends to be entirely flaky since most consumer AP tends to not enjoy lots of devices connected, plus every bulb that I know supports homekit uses 2,4 so your landlord wifi is useless anyway. You will need to think about setting up your network kit if all you have is 5ghz. Gl.inet has decent units for non-traveling usage that let you connect to a third party wifi as WAN, while having your own wired and wireless networks, like the flint https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ax1800/.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 12, 2023

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Boris Galerkin posted:

???

Hey friend we're just a bunch of nerds talking on the internet. This is maybe an overly reactive response to a suggestion to help you get what you want.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Idk I felt like the other guy was telling me to get my own internet service and then he linked me to a store with a bunch of things that look like routers I plug into the wall, and I’m confused because I’m trying to say I physically do not have access to the building’s router to plug anything into it so I don’t know how a Ethernet to Wi-Fi bridge will help me. I mean I already have Wi-Fi.

E: because as I keep saying and repeating I physically don’t have access to the router to plug anything into it

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 12, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So those routers on that website will let me connect to the wifi, and then it has Ethernet ports for me to plug poo poo into? See this was a thing that I did not know existed until 2 seconds ago.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

Idk I felt like the other guy was telling me to get my own internet service and then he linked me to a store with a bunch of things that look like routers I plug into the wall, and I’m confused because I’m trying to say I physically do not have access to the building’s router to plug anything into it so I don’t know how a Ethernet to Wi-Fi bridge will help me. I mean I already have Wi-Fi.

E: because as I keep saying and repeating I physically don’t have access to the router to plug anything into it

Every lighting zigbee bridge (hue/innr/tradrfri/etc.) uses ethernet to connect, so you use the ethernet to wifi bridge to connect the zigbee bridge to your landlord wifi. Or you could get your own router to connect to the landlord wifi and circumvent all of this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Boris Galerkin posted:

So those routers on that website will let me connect to the wifi, and then it has Ethernet ports for me to plug poo poo into? See this was a thing that I did not know existed until 2 seconds ago.

Yeah they are rad. I am using one as a travel router right now while i am on vacation

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Everyone is aware of this dude. You need to take more than 10 seconds looking at the links and advice. I’ll spell it out slow.

• Bulbs that connect to WiFi directly require 2.4 ghz (which you don’t have access to) and don’t work well
  • Pretty much every smart bulb hub connects to Ethernet, not WiFi
  • Your options are to either get your own internet line OR get a device that turns WiFi into Ethernet so you can plug in a smart bulb hub.
  • The Gl-inlet company linked above creates routers for those situations. If you don’t want to buy one of those, what you’re looking for is a fully wireless access point with Ethernet ports

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sorry for coming off hostile. I didn’t know there existed things that can connect to Wi-Fi and give me Ethernet connections so I misunderstood the entire conversation/suggestions that were being suggested to me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone have experience with the nspanel from sonoff? I'm interested in putting ESPhome on it, hopefully.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I have like 20 Lifx wifi bulbs connected to a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR and it’s been working flawlessly for the last three weeks.

The full spectrum bulbs are $20/ea. You can buy dimmable warm white only for $10/ea. Their mobile app is great and they integrate with HomeAssistant and HomeKit.

Pro:
•Significantly less expensive than Hue
•Very bright, full-spectrum color
•HA/HK compatible

Neutral:
•Doesn’t have a hub. Hubless design requires good / prosumer wifi access point hardware.

Con:
•The initial setup takes 5-15m per bulb. This is not a serious gripe, but it isn’t just “screw in every lightbulb everywhere and you instantly get perfectly zoned lighting”.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DNK posted:

I have like 20 Lifx wifi bulbs connected to a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR and it’s been working flawlessly for the last three weeks.

The full spectrum bulbs are $20/ea. You can buy dimmable warm white only for $10/ea. Their mobile app is great and they integrate with HomeAssistant and HomeKit.

Pro:
•Significantly less expensive than Hue
•Very bright, full-spectrum color
•HA/HK compatible

Neutral:
•Doesn’t have a hub. Hubless design requires good / prosumer wifi access point hardware.

Con:
•The initial setup takes 5-15m per bulb. This is not a serious gripe, but it isn’t just “screw in every lightbulb everywhere and you instantly get perfectly zoned lighting”.

Lifx are 2,4Ghz only, which means they cannot connect to his landlord wifi.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ok that Flint thing is about prolly $100 after paying for shipping and/or taxes. That’s not bad.

What would be a “prosumer” equivalent? I’m ok with paying a bit extra for solid networking equipment that won’t choke.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 13, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok that Flint thing is about prolly $100 after paying for shipping and/or taxes. That’s not bad.

What would be a “prosumer” equivalent? I’m ok with paying a bit extra for solid networking equipment that won’t choke.

They make updated models of that same product. Hardware shouldn’t be a limiting factor for your described uses so far

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That Works posted:

They make updated models of that same product. Hardware shouldn’t be a limiting factor for your described uses so far

I would want to connect my gaming PC to the LAN via Ethernet, in addition to all my iPhone/iPad/Chromecast etc. I don’t really care about having VPN built into the router or anything like the Flint is advertising.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would want to connect my gaming PC to the LAN via Ethernet, in addition to all my iPhone/iPad/Chromecast etc. I don’t really care about having VPN built into the router or anything like the Flint is advertising.

Mine has a lan port on it that you could connect directly to a PC or to a multi port switch.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

So, honestly… if you’re using a wireless bridge, then there’s zero benefit (and in fact a disadvantage) to connecting via Ethernet. Much better off connecting to building wifi directly.

(The disadvantage is that you’re pushing all of that traffic onto a single wireless connection, which then has to share with all the other wireless users, instead of having each device share individually - not a big deal if you’re doing it in a house but on a building wifi setup I’d be more concerned.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If all I’m gonna do is connect a single iot hub to it and nothing else, then what is the cheaper alternative than the $100 Flint on that website?

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Boris Galerkin posted:

If all I’m gonna do is connect a single iot hub to it and nothing else, then what is the cheaper alternative than the $100 Flint on that website?

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt300n-v2/

If you're only connecting the hub, the Mango should cover your needs IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

Yeah it’s been mostly fine but these bulbs were a fuckin nightmare. HomeKit handled on and off just fine but color changes just poo poo the bed. Oh well, Amazon didn’t give me any grief over it and I’m putting my plans on hold for a bit while I watch prices and see what else might come out :unsmith:

Now I kinda feel bad about that one star review I left for those Chinese bulbs. I bought a set of the Nanoleaf Essentials bulbs because they had Matter and Thread support, so I figured hey, pay for the name brand right?

Exact same problem of the lights lagging one command behind. And even the Nanoleaf app thought they were the right color. So at this point I’m blaming HomeKit or a v1.0 standard that needs more time? Dunno. Either way, thus ends my Matter and HomeKit experiments. Still no interest in janitoring a HA setup so I’ll just watch for sales on Hue stuff for now.