Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Azubah posted:

Isn't polymega teaming up with the atari vcs for something? Everything about both projects are so weird.

They have formed a "Strategic Partnership probably to make sure to get nothing out the door ever "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Atari VCS did release though so they have a leg up in the partnership there.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have never heard of the phrase "assembled in Myanmar" in any product. Like is there any shipping infrastructure in Myanmar? They are still using the meter gauge rail. This is the biggest alarm out of the whole console.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Payndz posted:

Anyone know how to get the ZX Spectrum emulator working in Garlic OS? I got C64 games working fine once I realised it could only open .t64 (tape) files as disk files made it hang up, but Spectrum files either immediately crash and reset or just sit there unresponsive. There's supposedly a selectable keyboard overlay like the one for the C64, but nothing I do will bring it up, even after going into the core settings.

Long shot, but you might need to dig through a fullset and try multiple filetypes and alternate dumps until something clicks. My 280v has a few .z80's, a few .tzx's, and even a couple .tap's because I could not find ANY consistency in what worked. Spectrum dumps are fuckin weird, I swear they're more of a standalone savestate than a ROM.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am interested in a small device to throw in my waist pack for when I'm taking public transit. So major requirement is the small size but also a great screen. Power isn't too important since I'll basically just load a couple of games and nothing past like GBA. Would that still just be a Miyoo Mini Plus?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yup.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Can anyone share what the top level folder structure on their onion-osed mm+ looks like? Cat dragged some poo poo around and now I gotta find it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now that I’m on the RP2S train I think I’m gonna clean house a little. I have:

RG351V
RG353V
RP2
RP3+
MM+

Thinking of just unloading all of them for like 200 bucks to someone that wants a collection. The MM+ is just barely too small for my long fingers but I really wish I liked it more. It’s such a cool handheld..

Honestly the RP2 has always been my favorite to hold, followed closely by the 3+. The 2S can’t get here fast enough.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Grassy Knowles posted:

Can anyone share what the top level folder structure on their onion-osed mm+ looks like? Cat dragged some poo poo around and now I gotta find it

Is this what you wanted?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Commander Keene posted:

Is this what you wanted?

Perfect thanks

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Rolo posted:

Now that I’m on the RP2S train I think I’m gonna clean house a little. I have:

RG351V
RG353V
RP2
RP3+
MM+

Thinking of just unloading all of them for like 200 bucks to someone that wants a collection. The MM+ is just barely too small for my long fingers but I really wish I liked it more. It’s such a cool handheld..

Honestly the RP2 has always been my favorite to hold, followed closely by the 3+. The 2S can’t get here fast enough.

Let me know what you might want for the RP3+. How did you like its ergonomics?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I couldn’t resist the cute clear green and bought an rp2s. My husband has stopped asking questions and has just accepted that I love these dumb things :)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am trying to hold out for later this year hopefully when someone releases a 150 dollar handheld that does GC and PS2 at full speed. The RP3+ comes so close.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Let me know what you might want for the RP3+. How did you like its ergonomics?

I loved it. The D pad is the best of all my devices and it feels good to hold. I just never touch anything higher than like PS1 or Dreamcast on these so having black bars on literally everything felt like a waste. Anything widescreen just goes on my Steamdeck.

I’ll let you know if I do decide to sell them individually.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Valve are now selling officially refurbished Steam Decks. £280 for the 64gb model is a ridiculous value just as an emulation device.
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeckrefurbished/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Valve are now selling officially refurbished Steam Decks. £280 for the 64gb model is a ridiculous value just as an emulation device.
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeckrefurbished/

It’s really hard to beat the deck at that price point. It’s absolutely worth that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i'll probably be emulating on the deck in the future. at the very least ps2, gamecube and wii games

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah the Deck rules for sure. All they need to do as the years go on is make incremental improvements to the screen and chipset but for a first version they really nailed it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All they need to do is make a portable Deck.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve said it a gorillian times but if they did make it roughly the size of a switch I’d sell all of my portable consoles and be good to go.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
It's not that much bigger than my switch with the Hori Split Pad Pro sides, but it's significantly heavier.

I love my deck, but some of the smaller devices are definitely more portable.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Deck for big stuff, more portable handheld (currently 353m) for the easier stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tempting deal on the deck but I absolutely don't need one right now and also I'm waiting for that sweet sweet second generation that may or may not ever happen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Explosionface posted:

Deck for big stuff, more portable handheld (currently 353m) for the easier stuff.
Yeah, I'm really liking the pocketability of the MM+ and have been using it for PS1 and below a fair amount, whereas anything actually demanding goes on the Deck. It's wild to me that I can emulate Wii U games on a portable device and the Deck is like "I'm not even using 50% of my power!"

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I'm really liking the pocketability of the MM+ and have been using it for PS1 and below a fair amount, whereas anything actually demanding goes on the Deck. It's wild to me that I can emulate Wii U games on a portable device and the Deck is like "I'm not even using 50% of my power!"

I took my MM+ to the Ninja Turtles movie this past Saturday and played the original TMNT arcade game while waiting for the movie to start. WOO.
Edit: That popped into my head because of the teeny tiny pocketability of it. That's how it connects.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a generally accepted discord you guys look at? I just joined the Reddit SBC one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

One thing though is that the MM+'s battery life doesn't seem too great (it charges in no time flat off my phone charger though), and I was wondering if maybe there was an aftermarket replacement with better battery life?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

One thing though is that the MM+'s battery life doesn't seem too great (it charges in no time flat off my phone charger though), and I was wondering if maybe there was an aftermarket replacement with better battery life?

I’m pretty impressed with the battery life tbqh, I get more time out of it than my 351v but I still havent replaced the loving bullshit stock battery on that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

How much time are you getting off a charge on yours? I haven't really run a timer on mine but it doesn't seem to last more than two hours or so on a charge. It hasn't been a huge issue so far, especially since it's also the fastest of my devices to charge, but I wouldn't mind getting more battery life out of it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Powkiddy isn't interesting, other than being perhaps the last Linux-based ARM handheld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9wbPY5qf6o

The history lesson is what's interesting. It's been a long road getting from running NES and GB emulators on GBA flashcarts to where we are now, and we absolutely would not be here without the original Odroid Go Advance and its open source hardware leading to a proliferation of powerful and popular clones, most notably among them the Anbernic 351p.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That and the Dingoo considering how many of them ran opendingux and uh..what's it, g2xmenu?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

Is there a generally accepted discord you guys look at? I just joined the Reddit SBC one.

RG Handhelds Discord: https://discord.gg/Jd2azKX

Retro Handhelds: https://discord.gg/RetroHandhelds

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh hell yeah thanks, those communities are much bigger.

Time to make them both a little bit worse.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Assepoester posted:

The Powkiddy isn't interesting, other than being perhaps the last Linux-based ARM handheld
It's a shame that Linux is going out the window as a platform. Android is great for its compatibility, networking etc, but there's a charm to having these things run on a lightweight self contained OS. At least on my phones, Android always seems to run a little laggy in terms of input, are these handhelds better about that? It's probably just a consequence of using Bluetooth controllers on my end.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Does anyone have any display stands they would recommend?
I want to put my MM+, RG552, 351 etc on a shelf together, ideally with other handhelds like my gameboy micro, etc
Handheld Legend has display stands per console but they're like $12 each + shipping. Wondering if there's a cheaper option that doesn't look like rear end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have bought a Rose Coloured Gaming stand for my DSi so I'll let you know how I like that when it arrives.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

I have bought a Rose Coloured Gaming stand for my DSi so I'll let you know how I like that when it arrives.

I bought 3 different stands from them and they are nice enough. The fit is perfect and I’d recommend them.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

beer gas canister posted:

It's a shame that Linux is going out the window as a platform. Android is great for its compatibility, networking etc, but there's a charm to having these things run on a lightweight self contained OS.

What do you think android is at heart?

Also yeh, Bluetooth is going to be the source of most of your lag problems I suspect.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nam Taf posted:

A big, messy blob that runs on top of Linux but isn't Linux per se.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nam Taf posted:

Bad.