Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

HonorableTB posted:

Ukrainian SOF operating on the left bank of the Dnipro captured a flag of Russia's strategic missile forces lol. Imagine the US Air Force digging some dudes out of a bunker in Montana to throw in a trench to defend a river

Reminds me of the Luftwaffe Field Divisions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftwaffe_Field_Divisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1688600780696121350
And that's it for another piece of flying junk.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Soviets did a similar thing in WWII with their sailors, who were mostly useless in their normal role - sending them to fight in their sailor uniforms in "naval infantry" battalions throughout 1941 with little to no land combat training.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1688600780696121350
And that's it for another piece of flying junk.

Big deal. Like this is a big big deal. Robotyne is one of the most heavily defense fortresses on the front. Shooting down helis her means that rUSSIA is having to pull back it's EWAR equipment and opening the door for it's cas to get hit.

This single event means that Ukraine is still pushing along.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Shooting down a single Alligator just means there was a Ukrainian nearby with a Stinger or Javelin tbh. EWAR won't do much against modern MANPADs at the altitude vehicles are forced to fly at lol. Losing the Alligator itself is more important because a Ka-52 cannot be replaced by Russia due to sanctions. It has a lot of components that simply aren't available to Russia at this time and every one shot down is irreplaceable in a very literal sense. They make fantastic CAS as well, on par with Apaches

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 7, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
heh. manpads.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Coolguye posted:

heh. manpads.

:dudsmile:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

Shooting down a single Alligator just means there was a Ukrainian nearby with a Stinger or Javelin tbh. EWAR won't do much against modern MANPADs at the altitude vehicles are forced to fly at lol. Losing the Alligator itself is more important because a Ka-52 cannot be replaced by Russia due to sanctions. It has a lot of components that simply aren't available to Russia at this time and every one shot down is irreplaceable in a very literal sense. They make fantastic CAS as well, on par with Apaches

Yeah, they are top tier attack helis. They just must be getting too bold if MANPADS plunk em.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, they are top tier attack helis. They just must be getting too bold if MANPADS plunk em.

One less spinny boy on Putins roster. :byetankie:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are those the same helis with 60s circuit boards in them that we've seen at the beginning of the war?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Gejnor posted:

At this point I'm half-jokingly thinking this is a way to provoke Russia into sending futile attacks against the statue.

Better that than another children's hospital after all.

I've been there and there's a WWII museum underneath, with nice parks and some really old churches nearby.

So yeah they'll probably try to bomb it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Are those the same helis with 60s circuit boards in them that we've seen at the beginning of the war?

I'm not familiar with what you're referring to, but the KA-52 is the two seat variant of the KA-50 and it entered service in 2011. It's notable for having an ejection system (one of the only helis to have one afaik) and Alligators are sufficiently modern that it should have updated electronics. That's one of the reasons why they can't be replaced; Russia literally cannot manufacture the electronics needed to build them because they don't have the microchip fabs to do it.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/08/7/7414545/

quote:

Hackers from North Korea have hacked the computer networks of the Mashinostroyeniya scientific production association, which produces ballistic and cruise missiles.

Source: Reuters

Quote from Reuters: "An elite group of North Korean hackers secretly breached computer networks at a major Russian missile developer for at least five months last year, according to technical evidence reviewed by Reuters and analysis by security researchers."

Details: Reuters states that the cyberespionage groups ScarCruft and Lazarus, linked to the North Korean government, secretly installed invisible digital "black holes" in the systems of the Mashinostroyeniya scientific production association, located in Reutov, near Moscow.

The media could not determine whether any data was obtained during the intrusion and what kind of information could be viewed.

Several months after the hack, Pyongyang announced some progress in its ballistic missile program, but it's unclear whether this is related to the hack.

It is said that hackers had access to the networks of the Mashinostroyeniya scientific production association from the end of 2021 to May 2022.
With friends like these...... :troll:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

I'm not familiar with what you're referring to, but the KA-52 is the two seat variant of the KA-50 and it entered service in 2011. It's notable for having an ejection system (one of the only helis to have one afaik) and Alligators are sufficiently modern that it should have updated electronics. That's one of the reasons why they can't be replaced; Russia literally cannot manufacture the electronics needed to build them because they don't have the microchip fabs to do it.

The Ka-52 ejection seat bit is hilarious because after the first few months of the war the pilots seem to have stopped using the ejection seats.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Warbadger posted:

The Ka-52 ejection seat bit is hilarious because after the first few months of the war the pilots seem to have stopped using the ejection seats.

Pilots that are using store-bought GPS units for navigation instead of their own systems probably know better than relying on the mechanics to actually check that all the parts of the helicopter ejection system work, and rather take their chances with autorotation landing if they are still able to do anything after getting hit by anti-air.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Warbadger posted:

Honestly I was surprised to see as many pilot ejections from them as we did. MANPADS make a large explosion and helicopters already try to throw themselves out of the sky when everything is working in ideal conditions. Eating a shaped charge designed to take out armored vehicles is probably not conducive to successful ejections, assuming 1) the missile that hit you didn't destroy the craft outright, 2) it didn't destroy the ejection mechanism, 3) it didn't destroy YOU while leaving the equipment operational, 4) you have enough altitude for the ejection to work in the first place (it works by firing the blades up and away, then the pilot and co-pilot get ejected thru the canopy lol), and 5) you don't die on the way down

It's long odds to survive an ejection scenario in a fuckin helicopter which might be why Russia is the only military to loving make one to start with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1kr651en7g

that's how it works :lmao:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

In a KA-52 I would be worried about the rotor blades not detaching and ejecting straight into a human blender

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eh. Ejection seat is fine imo. Lack of ejections lately is prob incapacitated crew

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Space Jam posted:

In a KA-52 I would be worried about the rotor blades not detaching and ejecting straight into a human blender

Like said, if you are still in condition to do any decisions its either risking this, or trying autorotation landing. And with the latter you at least have an input on the outcome and should have training on how to do that.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

HonorableTB posted:

They make fantastic CAS as well, on par with Apaches

I would argue that they are not on par because an Alligator can only fire one atgm at a time, and must remain stationary for it's time of flight, while a Longbow can build a target list of (iirc) up to 16 targets, fire on them all at the same time, and instantly gtfo.

It's still the best cas platform in use in Ukraine by either side, ofc.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Pilots that are using store-bought GPS units for navigation instead of their own systems probably know better than relying on the mechanics to actually check that all the parts of the helicopter ejection system work, and rather take their chances with autorotation landing if they are still able to do anything after getting hit by anti-air.

ejection seats can gently caress up your back and stuff even if they work

not that a controlled crash is necessarily better, but it may be. also maybe they just got killed by the missile or whatever

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
The Americans spent millions perfecting an ejection seat while the Russians simply use the ground.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

weg posted:

The Americans spent millions perfecting an ejection seat while the Russians simply use the ground.

Lmfao

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tuna-Fish posted:

I would argue that they are not on par because an Alligator can only fire one atgm at a time, and must remain stationary for it's time of flight, while a Longbow can build a target list of (iirc) up to 16 targets, fire on them all at the same time, and instantly gtfo.

It's still the best cas platform in use in Ukraine by either side, ofc.

LMUR has me intrigued. Apache would benefit from similar definitely.

Russia presumably doesnt have many or is just getting too aggressive with Ka52s because 15km vs 8-9km for other ATGMs is big.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
do apaches even have ejection seats

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Warbadger posted:

KA-52 has to blow the blades first, both blades, before the ejection to prevent mincing the pilots. It additionally has a weird system where the meat in the seats is pulled out by some kind of tractor system, rather than explosively shooting the seat out. Thus, the aptly re-named KIA-52 as it takes a rather humongous leap of faith to trust that system rather than auto-rotating down and hoping to survive impact.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

the popes toes posted:

KA-52 has to blow the blades first, both blades, before the ejection to prevent mincing the pilots. It additionally has a weird system where the meat in the seats is pulled out by some kind of tractor system, rather than explosively shooting the seat out. Thus, the aptly re-named KIA-52 as it takes a rather humongous leap of faith to trust that system rather than auto-rotating down and hoping to survive impact.

Now that's an evocative way to refer to pilots lmao

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Russia presumably doesnt have many or is just getting too aggressive with Ka52s because 15km vs 8-9km for other ATGMs is big.

the apache is getting Spike NLOS i think which seems at least as good, and I think BAE is working on extended range versions of Brimstone

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

I think MBDA has proposed Brimstone 2 as a hellfire replacement for Apaches with 25km range. Of course, hasn't been integrated and probably won't because NIH.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

I think MBDA has proposed Brimstone 2 as a hellfire replacement for Apaches with 25km range. Of course, hasn't been integrated and probably won't because NIH.

There was scandal a while back when the MOD went with whatever hellfire successor the US chose for Apache instead of brimstone. I'm guessing economies of scale might have been the deciding factor.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Because Russia surely wouldn't love to have the cultural unity of Japans imperial death cult circa 1942.
It's not like Emperor Putin has to deal with the Russian Imperial Navy and the Russian Imperial Army fighting with each other over resources and manpower and.... my God...

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The imperial death cult wasn't even as unified as people think, or they wouldn't have tried to overthrow and/or otherwise subvert the emperor when it came to considering peace deals. the imperial death cult turned out to just be a death cult that found it convenient to be attached to the emperor because the emperor would let them have as much death as they wanted up until he went "wait that might include my death too" and wanted to sue for peace post-nukes

e: just noticed gigolo specified 1942 but still, even in 1942 there were major divisions in the factional infighting that was endemic to the japanese imperial court, specifically the IJA vs the IJN that blatantly ignored several imperial directives to stop loving with each other

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 7, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1688526625346932737
Are you even capable of doing that? Because if you were, you'd already have spun up the wheels after your repeated defeats last year.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://v.redd.it/hw21bwvslqgb1

Not sure what to make of this. Skabeeva reveals an apparent KIA count of 284,000. On one hand, it's state TV, state propaganda, state message. She would not have accidentally said this. On the other hand, Russia goes far out of its way to obfuscate casualties to avoid upsetting the imperial core. I am having trouble seeing what benefit comes to Putin from this, unless it is something like "they can't hide the scale of casualties anymore so they acknowledge it as if they have always been doing so", which is also something Russia has been keen on doing in the past, so..

who the gently caress knows, a chief propagandist is on state tv talking about 289,000 KIA for some reason. 284k is much higher than western estimates. 284k is higher than Ukrainian estimates by 34,000 (Ukrainian numbers state just over 250k liquidated personnel). I can't imagine Russia has a way of accurately counting casualties with their corruption and systemic breakdowns; if they aren't even collecting bodies then how would they know? This figure could be entire bullshit, or it might not be. gently caress lol, welcome to russian propaganda I guess

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 7, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

https://v.redd.it/hw21bwvslqgb1

Not sure what to make of this. Skabeeva reveals an apparent KIA count of 284,000. On one hand, it's state TV, state propaganda, state message. She would not have accidentally said this. On the other hand, Russia goes far out of its way to obfuscate casualties to avoid upsetting the imperial core. I am having trouble seeing what benefit comes to Putin from this, unless it is something like "they can't hide the scale of casualties anymore so they acknowledge it as if they have always been doing so", which is also something Russia has been keen on doing in the past, so..

who the gently caress knows, a chief propagandist is on state tv talking about 289,000 KIA for some reason.

If you can find the whole vid to put it in context, I think Skeevy Olga is referring to Ukrainian casualties?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Space Jam posted:

Either way it’s fine. If the system works, it works. If the system doesn’t work, you won’t have to worry about it anymore.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

the popes toes posted:

If you can find the whole vid to put it in context, I think Skeevy Olga is referring to Ukrainian casualties?

I had this thought as well but I cannot find the full video for context - if someone can and posts it, I'd be happy to translate. It's the only thing that would make sense to me (leaving aside that Russian projection is always in play, their accusations are always confessions)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
In other news, western kit is a hell of a lot more durable than the old Soviet poo poo

https://twitter.com/ukraine_map/status/1688590363613708294?s=20

47 bradleys sounds like a lot til you realize the US has 4,000 of them just sitting around gathering dust and they've already pledged to replace any lost or destroyed Bradleys with new ones

e: sorry, 4,641 of the M2 variant we're giving Ukraine

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66429344

Russia missiled an appt building in Donetsk. You know, the place that Russia said is part of Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HonorableTB posted:

Ukrainian SOF operating on the left bank of the Dnipro captured a flag of Russia's strategic missile forces lol. Imagine the US Air Force digging some dudes out of a bunker in Montana to throw in a trench to defend a river

ill be a broken goon brain this kinda poo poo always reminds me of playing mount and blade star wars mod, i played a game where i stomped the empire so badly, they were deploying random mercs and recruits because their actual military was all loving dead or wounded.

but on topic. they are pissing away most of their men and now are just using whatever morons they can to hold lines.