Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Spotify's DJ feature.

I know how you work, stop telling me how you "work".

"Here's a new song by a band I know you listen to. They didn't do any pre-releases because they wanted people to listen to the whole album from start to finish. Alright, here's [track 3]!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Summer and summer likers

Praying hour by hour for autumn

It’s too hot

14 hours of bright cloudless sunlight is awful

gently caress summer

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I just hate it when I have a Spotify playlist set to repeat, I close the app, it turns off repeat, gets to the end of the playlist and “oh here’s some poo poo that we think you’ll like”

It just annoys the poo poo out of me whenever a computer second guesses me.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Summer and summer likers

Praying hour by hour for autumn

It’s too hot

14 hours of bright cloudless sunlight is awful

gently caress summer

:same:

Too. Much. Sun.
It's too bright when I wake up and too bright until an hour before I have to go to bed. Give me my darkness.
gently caress off, heat.
Why couldn't our apocalypse be the ice age one?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
One that I only just realized enough to put into words: when a piece of media I don't like, or just aren't interested in, is so algorithmically adjacent to media I do like that I can't escape it on certain platforms.

I'm not interested in Final Fantasy XVI, and I think anyone reasonably sane and balanced who hears the things I like and dislike about games would recognize and agree that's not gonna change. ...but because I do like other Final Fantasy games, especially XIV, there's times where it's just completely impossible to tune it out on some social media or news feeds. (And then I have the reflex where the longer that goes on the less I can just quickly go 'I'm not interested' and feel like I have to beef up my reasoning, which nobody likes, but that's a me problem.) Recently it's started happening with Baldur's Gate 3, which annoys me less but I can't entirely say why just yet.

I feel like this must be the same problem faced by people who like the Spider-Verse movies but not the MCU.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People that can’t take cardinal directions

Especially bc this is the US. The whole city is a grid lined up with impossible to avoid water features. If you know “go to the River” you know “go south on st Ferdinand” but no motherfuckers gotta be like “right or left tho”

You are 35 learn your directions :argh:

Slightly less annoying than in NYC where the literal East River couldn’t clue in some people

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Especially bc this is the US. The whole city is a grid lined up with impossible to avoid water features. If you know “go to the River” you know “go south on st Ferdinand” but no motherfuckers gotta be like “right or left tho”

Slightly less annoying than in NYC where the literal East River couldn’t clue in some people
Some people just don't understand them because they've never used them. I think they would be better off setting map apps to use North facing instead of forward facing.

It makes it way easier to orient yourself if you know which direction you're travelling and have to take a detour for whatever reason (road closed, accident, poo poo traffic, lost etc)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
People are shockingly bad with directions in general and I've known people who couldn't make it from home to work without gps. Multiple people. I just don't get it but I wish them well when they get lost while foraging for provisions at the costco

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have adhd so I’m gonna forget what you’re telling me. And It’s not easy to explain if I know where to go because I’ll probably call the Taco Bell at the end of the street the thingy place because my brain is bad

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I cycle a lot and it's easy to lose direction when following random curved roads for a while. Thanks to this I've gotten very aware of the sun constantly. Just know the rough time of the day and look at your shadow.

And it's kinda fun to be like "ok it's 3pm and I need to south so I should keep the sun there"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

I have adhd so I’m gonna forget what you’re telling me. And It’s not easy to explain if I know where to go because I’ll probably call the Taco Bell at the end of the street the thingy place because my brain is bad

Yeah but seems like you are self aware enough to know that asking my anal-retentive map loving rear end for directions wouldnt help either of us.

Related peeve: I hate that my directions have to include caveats like “look out on Saint Claude because someone in a lifted truck will aim for you because you dared to walk somewhere”

Kill car culture and imprison anyone with a pristine truck

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Milo and POTUS posted:

People are shockingly bad with directions in general and I've known people who couldn't make it from home to work without gps. Multiple people. I just don't get it but I wish them well when they get lost while foraging for provisions at the costco

Jesus. I have an absolutely terribly sense of direction, but even I am not THAT bad. I figured out last time this topic came up that I can keep track of cardinal directions if I pay attention, but it's just flat out not the way I learned to navigate and I'm sure the same is true for a lot of people.

But motherfucker I can absolutely get to places I've been to a few times without a GPS. Double especially between work and home. I usually use the GPS in case there's really bad traffic and it would be honestly faster to take the side roads in certain places, but how do people live like that? How do they have so little awareness that they couldn't even get to a place that they go every stinking day without directions?! I have the worst sense of direction on the planet (so I thought!) and even I find that inconceivable!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My wife puts on the GPS if she's "unsure" but I hate it because it's on her phone which she also has plugged in playing songs, so a good-rear end song will be interrupted in the middle of the best part IN ONE HUNDRED FEET, TURN LEFT BY STAYING IN THE LEFT LANE

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
In Everquest if you wanted to know which way was North you'd just place a sword on the ground. It would always align itself pointing North

Then again the entire planet was called North. Or something close to that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I wish our world had a pointy piece of metal that would point north anywhere you were :smith:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

My wife puts on the GPS if she's "unsure" but I hate it because it's on her phone which she also has plugged in playing songs, so a good-rear end song will be interrupted in the middle of the best part IN ONE HUNDRED FEET, TURN LEFT BY STAYING IN THE LEFT LANE

Tell your wife her navigation style absolutely triggers an internet stranger

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I mostly hate when I’m driving with someone who’s supposed to be giving me the directions but just doesn’t say anything until it’s too late.

“You should have turned a right back there” type stuff.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
If you asked me how to get to anywhere in my area I could point in the direction of it and tell you exactly how to get there, but I wouldn't even be able to guess at whether the destination is north or south of the starting point. I just don't think of things in terms of a map view.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

credburn posted:

In Everquest if you wanted to know which way was North you'd just place a sword on the ground. It would always align itself pointing North

Then again the entire planet was called North. Or something close to that.
You skipped a couple of letters but yeah lol

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PancakeTransmission posted:

I think they would be better off setting map apps to use North facing instead of forward facing.

I have mine set up this way and it would drive my coworker nuts that he couldn't understand the gps map. We also did a fair amount of mapping in our jobs. Some people just can't seem to get it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We take our puppy to the park by the river every day before church. Foster puppy, she’s going to go to dog college and be a service dog.

And every sunday morning, like clockwork, same dude lets his dog off leash and it charges and attacks her and he’s all “oh sorry no, no! Down! He never does this!”

Yes. He always does. It’s been months of this dude. And just fyi there are giant signs explaining it’s a crime to let your dog off leash in this urban park. I’m not calling the cops but come on. If nothing else you should be worried about a car hitting your loving dog rear end in a top hat.

And bc she’s a service puppy, every time it happens we have to submit paperwork to the organization in charge of her about her interaction with rando dog

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
There's a regular customer at my job whose dog is sacred because it has a service vest. It's one of those little long-haired lap dogs and it goes absolutely wild barking at random people every time she comes in and every time she, too, says "he never does this"

Another work pet peeve is people who, instead of approaching me and asking for help finding an item like a human person, will stand somewhere up the aisle and proclaim loudly to nobody "I guess this place just doesn't sell [whatever poo poo they're looking for]"

Outcast Spy
May 7, 2007

How could you be both?
I live in an apartment complex and thus have the joy of a parking lot right outside my residence. Both of my neighbors pull up into the parking spot as far as their wheels will take them, scraping the front ends of their car over the curb every time they pull in or back out. It's one of those sounds that sends a chill down my spine, and I just don't understand why you'd do that anyway? You save about a foot of distance.

It's not nearly as annoying as the neighbor down the street who revs the engine of his deliberately noisy car every time he comes and goes, which is five or six times a day. His license plate reads "LOUD (name of car)", so not only is he a respectful neighbor, he's also a creative genius.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Why, it IS loud! What a card! Tee-hee! I dream of murdering you :D"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And every sunday morning, like clockwork, same dude lets his dog off leash and it charges and attacks her and he’s all “oh sorry no, no! Down! He never does this!”

Yes. He always does. It’s been months of this dude.

Please stop taking your dog there. She's not going to be a service dog if she develops negative habits because her owners let her get attacked on a weekly basis.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Atticus_1354 posted:

Please stop taking your dog there. She's not going to be a service dog if she develops negative habits because her owners let her get attacked on a weekly basis.

She’s an angel and great at her dog stuff, but also, yeah you are kinda right and she deserves better.

New peeve: being cancer dude
Having terminal cancer in my 20s already sucks and hurts, metaphorically and literally it loving hurts. Ouch !

But what really annoys me is I can’t mention it without becoming Cancer Dude. I’m stupid and opinionated for so many reasons besides my failing organs. I appreciate sympathy but like cmon, mock me for being able to sing the whole of In the Heights or for dipping my pizza in ranch or anything but the cancer

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I mean everything else feels glaringly trivial once you mention a serious illness. If it makes you feel better I think ranch is disgusting. Sorry man.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

I mean everything else feels glaringly trivial once you mention a serious illness. If it makes you feel better I think ranch is disgusting. Sorry man.
I get that but it’s like… I never bring it up to anyone but family and medical professionals. It just comes up because people are like oh you missed work and went to the doctor why? Yearly checkup?

And then everyone is very sad and sorry and asks dumb questions like “wait you still have your long thick hair” bc yes you dumb motherfucker, radiotherapy does not make your hair fall out, that’s chemo, that’s a different thing

Let me die in peace :colbert:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Noticed your most recent redtext is gone.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

credburn posted:

Noticed your most recent redtext is gone.

Yeah that's what radio does

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I've bitched ITT about websites that make the new account button a lot more prominent than the login button, but now I'm seeing more sites that go a step further and have the login button link you to the new account creation form and another link from there to login to an existing account.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Bargearse posted:

I just hate it when I have a Spotify playlist set to repeat, I close the app, it turns off repeat, gets to the end of the playlist and “oh here’s some poo poo that we think you’ll like”

It just annoys the poo poo out of me whenever a computer second guesses me.

You’re in luck! There’s a setting option where you can turn this off. Go to Settings->Playback and scroll down to Autoplay Similar Content.

Screenshot

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't care the Barbie movie one way or the other; its marketing has been obnoxiously aggressive from day one (Pepto pink everywhere). But thanks to the never ending culture wars, everyone "has" to have an opinion on it.

My pet peeve isn't the movie itself but the fact that everything is another flashpoint in the culture war these days.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The only thing I know about Barbie are just the things Ben Shapiro and conservatives are offended by. I know not a single thing about the movie other than who is in it and that it has something to do with taking down the patriarchy, because the culture war drowns out everything else.

I'm just adding to the conversation, I guess. This isn't a pet peeve of mine. I don't care about the movie one way or the other, but it looks fun!

e: you know what is a goddamn pet peeve, is people who answer binary questions with "yes" because they think they're so fuckin clever and funny.

Is Ben Shapiro a robot or just an insecure man?

Yes lol

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Aug 7, 2023

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't care the Barbie movie one way or the other; its marketing has been obnoxiously aggressive from day one (Pepto pink everywhere). But thanks to the never ending culture wars, everyone "has" to have an opinion on it.

My pet peeve isn't the movie itself but the fact that everything is another flashpoint in the culture war these days.

Same. The amount of marketing for Barbie kept me from seeing it in theatres on principal, but I keep having to assure people that it's not for any misogynous reasons. I'm sure it's good, I'm just waiting to catch it on Netflix!

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Aug 7, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Just wait 'til October when they'll complain about the Woke NFL

I mean, more than "normal"

stringless has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Aug 7, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

credburn posted:

e: you know what is a goddamn pet peeve, is people who answer binary questions with "yes" because they think they're so fuckin clever and funny.

I hate this, but I also hate when people go out of their way to make things into not being yes/no questions.

"Are we out of lithium grease, or is there still some left?"

Is this like, a regional thing? Some sort of specific disorder I don't know about?

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Aug 8, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People who cough every 90 seconds. Stop coughing. Or, as Jobs wife advised, “Curse God and die.”

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Took me a second to realize you weren't talking about Steve Jobs's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Hirayuki posted:

Took me a second to realize you weren't talking about Steve Jobs's wife.

:same:

Content: I don't know what it is about this area, but people seem to give zero shits about the health and safety of their dogs around here. I constantly see dogs off-leash, so many dogs hanging out car windows or just straight up loose in the backs of trucks. It blows my mind that people just do not care about the lives of their pets