Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Shumagorath posted:

It's also unreal how much less power this display uses than what it replaced despite doing so much more. Maxed-out everything is drawing about 20W vs the old monitor's 60 (which was at ~50% backlight), though I guess bright scenes or putting my FPS cap above 180 might close that gap.

It's also worth mentioning that newer LCDs use much more efficient backlights these days.

OLED can straight up turn pixels off, though, so it's a little hard to make a direct comparison outside of controlled conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm considering replacing the other two with something that doesn't use CFL backing, but right now I have the OLED flanked my 16:10s in portrait mode because my arms didn't go as high as I thought. 16:9 in portrait mode is too thin for my liking even if I'd have more pixels at 1440p.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shumagorath posted:

e2: does f.lux normally gently caress with forum colours this much in HDR, or am I missing something? The green hues are overpowering. At least text looks normal in this state; this reminds me of when I went off my last shadow mask CRT to my first LCD and the Outlook icon went from a bright orange to a dull muck, but good.

CFLs suffer a significant loss of color accuracy over time. That, poor color space coverage to begin with on an older LCD, and amazing color on an OLED might be adding up to it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Hardware/Monitors Unboxed way of measuring power consumption is to measure at the wall while displaying a full white screen calibrated to 200 nits. On the 27GR95QE, that'll require you to max out the brightness to get there, +/- 5 nits. OLED often doesn't do great in this test, typically ending up with 50 - 80 watts power draw (the 27" WOLED panel is right around 50, the 34" QD-OLED is around 85), while the most efficient modern LCDs are at around 25 watts. However, if you were to play a game or watch a movie at the same calibrated brightness level, things would get better for OLED. How much better is hard to say since nobody measures this way, but almost all pixels will be dimmed to some degree, and most by quite a lot. And that standard LED backlight doesn't dim anything, so it won't reduce its power draw at all. I can easily envision the OLED being more efficient in most real-world scenarios. LCDs with mini-LED backlights will dim their backlights to control luminance too, but their all-white power draw numbers are closer to OLED than standard LED LCD (27" GP27Q is 40 watts, 32" Neo G7 is 60), so they're starting from a higher point and aren't as good at dimming as OLED is. I imagine that they're maybe on par with normal LED LCDs or are worse, depending on the content.

This is for SDR mode. For HDR content, the results will be much more difficult to predict due to how wide and variable the range of brightness levels is now, but most of the image is still going to be the same relatively dim level of luminance, with the extra brightness range available being used for highlights (though some parts of the image may be dimmer). So for OLEDs, they may not use much more power in HDR mode, while standard LED LCDs are a very different story. They have to crank their entire backlight to meet whatever HDR spec they have, so their power draw will be quite a bit higher in this mode. And again, mini-LED-backlit monitors will conserve power by dimming parts of the image, but they're not as efficient at this as OLED is.

Anyway, uhh... If you want to conserve even more power on an OLED, turn on dark mode in everything you can. You can also do this with mini-LED-backlit monitors, but they usually look terrible in dark mode due to the blooming around text or bright interface elements.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 5, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AOC is taking pre-orders for a 180hz 1440p monitor with a VA panel and a 336-zone mini-LED backlight and HDR 1000 certification for $310, releasing next month: https://www.amazon.com/AOC-Q27G3XMN-Adaptive-Sync-DisplayHDR-Zero-Bright-dot/dp/B0C8ZJKPWC/

I don't recommend anyone pre-order a monitor, but this could be very appealing for anyone who wants a cheap HDR display and doesn't care as much about dark-level smearing (which this will probably have, hopefully not in too bad of a way)

Seems like we may not be too far away from local dimming fully penetrating the midrange market, which would be cool to see. I won't consider that to be true until we see good-quality IPS displays with local dimming at this price, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 7, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What do OLED TVs do to prevent burn-in if you dare to watch something with static elements and minimal commercials? Pray for B-roll?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's usually a setting which makes it actively watch for static elements and dim those pixels if they stay on screen for too long

it doesn't eliminate the potential for burn-in but it helps delay it

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I've got a single stuck pixel that's red, but only on specific shades of dark grey. It comes up enough that it's pretty annoying, frankly I'd prefer it was dead. Is there anything I can do about this? The pixel works fine under any other color. I tried the jsscreen fix and giving it a massage.

This monitor really sucks for having pixels die at a rate that keeps it just under warranty.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eve/Dough announces a 32" 4K 240hz OLED monitor to be released in April of next year: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/dough-announce-the-worlds-first-31-5-4k-240hz-oled-monitor-with-glossy-and-matte-coating-options

They don't say which OLED technology they're using (I suspect it's QD-OLED), probably because they can't due to them pre-empting the official announcement of the panel. This is a sneaky way for them to get people to pre-order, with them presenting themselves as the only option for a monitor of this type despite the fact that they will almost certainly be releasing it alongside (or after) at least a few other options that won't be announced until the panel is.

Anyway, this does at least give us confirmation that 32" 4K 240hz is indeed coming, and should be available Q2 next year. I would encourage you to not pre-order any monitor, especially not one from Dough, who run a borderline scam operation. The likelihood of delays is high, and they are very slow to refund deposits. And like I said, there will likely be other options, and some may be cheaper.

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Eve/Dough announces a 32" 4K 240hz OLED monitor to be released in April of next year: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/dough-announce-the-worlds-first-31-5-4k-240hz-oled-monitor-with-glossy-and-matte-coating-options

They don't say which OLED technology they're using (I suspect it's QD-OLED), probably because they can't due to them pre-empting the official announcement of the panel. This is a sneaky way for them to get people to pre-order, with them presenting themselves as the only option for a monitor of this type despite the fact that they will almost certainly be releasing it alongside (or after) at least a few other options that won't be announced until the panel is.

Anyway, this does at least give us confirmation that 32" 4K 240hz is indeed coming, and should be available Q2 next year. I would encourage you to not pre-order any monitor, especially not one from Dough, who run a borderline scam operation. The likelihood of delays is high, and they are very slow to refund deposits. And like I said, there will likely be other options, and some may be cheaper.

Looked into Dough a while back after PC gamer touted a 27" Oled of theirs and they do look rather dodgy

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dough

lol

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

AOC is taking pre-orders for a 180hz 1440p monitor with a VA panel and a 336-zone mini-LED backlight and HDR 1000 certification for $310, releasing next month: https://www.amazon.com/AOC-Q27G3XMN-Adaptive-Sync-DisplayHDR-Zero-Bright-dot/dp/B0C8ZJKPWC/

I don't recommend anyone pre-order a monitor, but this could be very appealing for anyone who wants a cheap HDR display and doesn't care as much about dark-level smearing (which this will probably have, hopefully not in too bad of a way)

Seems like we may not be too far away from local dimming fully penetrating the midrange market, which would be cool to see. I won't consider that to be true until we see good-quality IPS displays with local dimming at this price, though.

This actually looks appealing so far. Have there been any recent 4k high refresh rate monitors that offer a similar feature set to this one? I've been looking at OLED but prices are extremely high for 1440p 240hz, let alone 4k 120hz+ still being unavailable in a smaller form factor (<32").

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Titor posted:

This actually looks appealing so far. Have there been any recent 4k high refresh rate monitors that offer a similar feature set to this one? I've been looking at OLED but prices are extremely high for 1440p 240hz, let alone 4k 120hz+ still being unavailable in a smaller form factor (<32").

LG has two 27-inch OLED, one is 1440p and 240hz, while the other is 4K but only 60hz. Which makes no loving sense; mathematically the 4K should at least be able to hit like 90hz in that bandwidth.

edit: I have a 4K 120HZ 17.3" monitor for desktop. Nothing like that existed so I built one from a laptop screen, a custom PCB and some plywood.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 10, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

LG has two 27-inch OLED, one is 1440p and 240hz, while the other is 4K but only 60hz. Which makes no loving sense; mathematically the 4K should at least be able to hit like 90hz in that bandwidth.

edit: I have a 4K 120HZ 17.3" monitor for desktop. Nothing like that existed so I built one from a laptop screen, a custom PCB and some plywood.

The 4K 60hz one uses a different panel technology from JOLED (Japan OLED), who went bankrupt and were bought by JDI (Japan Display) due to being unable to make their special inkjet printing process financially viable (yes, they literally inkjet printed OLED material onto a substrate). High-refresh versions were on the table at some point, but they were more focused on improving panel yields first but never managed to do so. TCL CSOT licensed the technology and is trying to make something with it now, but they've been at it for a few years and reportedly won't have anything until 2025 at the earliest -- they're probably struggling with it too.

Titor posted:

Not for such a similarly low price. The best "deal" in this department is the Innocn 27M2V, which is currently $749 on Amazon and has been on sale for as low as $649. The backlight here has a much denser array of LEDs, 1152 of them. It seems to be a fairly good panel really, with no serious VRR flickering issues reported, acceptable out-of-the-box accuracy, decent response times, and pretty good HDR performance. But it's also cheaply made and has a frustrating OSD experience. And if you need to RMA it, I'm not sure if they even have American or European service centers.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
not bad

https://twitter.com/flatpanels/status/1690032828291923969

(warranty period is two years)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I mean, that's nice, but it'd have to be a much longer warranty to get me to buy OLED. I burned the WoW interface into my last CRT.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rexxed posted:

I mean, that's nice, but it'd have to be a much longer warranty to get me to buy OLED. I burned the WoW interface into my last CRT.

Look at this scrub who wasn't using DiscordUI* and hotbars to completely overhaul their interface every 3 weeks.

*gently caress I think that's what it as called. Vanilla was a long time ago.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Anyone have any recommendation on monitor arms? I am using the Amazon dual monitor arm and it requires way too much room behind my desk(8 inches minimum). It works great in most other ways, but I would like something that required less clearance.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Peachfart posted:

Anyone have any recommendation on monitor arms? I am using the Amazon dual monitor arm and it requires way too much room behind my desk(8 inches minimum). It works great in most other ways, but I would like something that required less clearance.

I got an Amazon dual-arm kit and regret it too. It definitely requires a lot of space behind your desk if you don't want your monitors in your face. I think two single-monitor arms mounted on opposite ends of your desk would work a lot better though. Being able to move the arms laterally should let you space your monitors apart while pushed back without needing much space behind the desk.

The Huanuo arms are more affordable alternatives to Amazon Basics that people say work really well. Weird that Amazon Basics are the premium brand, but that's what happens when Ergotron is your OEM I guess. One of those dual-arm sets that mount onto a pole might be a little better if you order one with just the right arm length.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 12, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

Dough

lol

guess who just got caught driving their "signup counter" with a random number generator to make it look like there's more interest than there is, and generate FOMO

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's such a common online shopping thing to do though - i assume stuff like "X in Y just bought Z" popups come by default on eshopping site packages

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Peachfart posted:

ErGear Dual Monitor Desk Mount, Fully Adjustable Dual Monitor Arm for 2 Computer Screens up to 32 inch, Heavy Duty Dual Monitor Stand for Desk, Holds up to 17.6 lbs per Arm, EGCM1 https://a.co/d/duwmMHC

Im using two of these for us.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I feel like a doofus. I got ahold of a Dell P3421W for a good deal, but it turns out that it lacks the feature that allows you to display non 21:9 sources with black bars. It only will do 4:3 or 5:4(?). I'm a little miffed, I never even considered a monitor wouldn't do that. Fortunately I think I can return it, but maybe the Amazon seller will give me a hassle. I work from home and I like to take a break every once in a while and switch my monitor over to a Nintendo Switch and do some Zelda for 15 minutes, but it stretches the screen to the full 21:9.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 12, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A review of the AOC Q24G2A, the first real 24" 1440p gaming monitor since the Dell S2417DG from ages ago: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q24g2a-bk/

It seems pretty good. I know several people who love the extra pixel density in 24" 1440p displays, though I think that's a combination that will remain pretty niche. Still, it's nice to have the option at all. It's currently not available in the US, but hopefully that will change eventually. Though for some reason AOC likes to release a bunch of monitors only in Asia and the UK while skipping the rest of the world.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Not for such a similarly low price. The best "deal" in this department is the Innocn 27M2V, which is currently $749 on Amazon and has been on sale for as low as $649. The backlight here has a much denser array of LEDs, 1152 of them. It seems to be a fairly good panel really, with no serious VRR flickering issues reported, acceptable out-of-the-box accuracy, decent response times, and pretty good HDR performance. But it's also cheaply made and has a frustrating OSD experience. And if you need to RMA it, I'm not sure if they even have American or European service centers.

I had a look and this seems really good, they even have a 32" variant too (32M2V). Unfortunately I'm based in Europe and I found that since both models are unable to pass the Europe Energy Efficiency Label they aren't sold here at all.

The competitor seems to be the Cooler Master Tempest GP27U. In comparison it has less dimming zones and poorer local dimming performance, enabling local dimming with VRR also causes a noticeable image flicker as well. I wonder how noticeable and frequent the flicker is?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I turned off Gsync all together and went back to vsync like a pleb on my aw3423dwf because I hated the VRR flicker, and I don't even notice really, and I'm like 70% sure it's not just cope. ok 60% 40%

30% sure it's not just cope

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The higher the native refresh rate, the less essential adaptive sync is because the shorter the wait times will be when a frame misses a refresh. When G-Sync was first introduced, most monitors were 60hz or 75hz and such. The improvement to motion smoothness was pretty remarkable, and getting a tear-free experience without v-sync's input lag hit was also great. At higher frame rates and refresh rates though, these effects are diminished. In a theoretical 1000hz monitor, I don't think there'd be any benefit for VRR in terms of motion smoothness unless you have the eyes of a Digital Foundry contributor. At 165hz though, you're not quite there. I bet you'd notice judder if you looked out for it during slow panning shots. Or if you're playing on a controller, rotate the camera slowly at a consistent pace with the joystick. I'd still probably try to change the vsync/framerate cap settings to get even frame pacing whenever possible. Many games are offering half-rate or one-third-rate v-sync options for people with high-refresh monitors, for instance (so you can cap at 82.5 or 55fps with even frame pacing at 165hz for instance)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 15, 2023

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sounds like OLED is not for you.

What would best practices be for preventing burn-in issues? Is it literally just black background, auto hide task bar, turn off when not actively in use?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Make sure all screen refresher features for your monitor are running when they should. Avoid using side-by-side window configurations, especially if you're just using the automatic window snapping feature of windows 11. It's very easy to burn in the border between windows when doing that (probably the most common cause of burn-in I see in the qd-oled monitors). Try to minimize all static interface elements as much as possible. If you like using your web browser in a maximized window for instance, press F11 to full-screen it. Edge has a nice feature where the top interface comes down when you mouse over the top of the screen, so you can use the browser full-screened without losing the ability to use the tabs or url bar. It would be nice if you could get auto hide the top interface in windowed mode too, but I don't think that feature exists. Edge also has a feature to auto hide the scroll bar (that you have to enable in edge://flags), which is nice for OLED screens. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the desktop background, assuming it won't be on screen very often.

Also, try not to crank the screen brightness just because you can. If you have one of those monitors that can only do ~150 nits max for SDR content, then I guess you'll probably want to leave the brightness pretty high (or maxed). But if you have an OLED that does ~250 nits instead in SDR (most QD-OLEDs, for instance), and if you aren't using it in a super bright room, then I'd probably turn it back down to that 150 nits level when just browsing the web or doing other basic computer stuff. The brighter the things on your screen are, the more quickly you're burning out the OLED compounds. That said, you're buying an expensive OLED monitor because they make for impressive displays with excellent HDR performance, so you should still feel free to enjoy that aspect, and also don't be afraid to crank the brightness for SDR games too. It's perfectly fine to do that with dynamic content (videos, games, etc). Just maybe try to be a bit more conservative whenever you expect to have static interface elements present. also try not to take naps at your desk while games are running like that other goon.

edit: If you're the type of gamer who might play a single game for hundreds or thousands of hours, maybe play those on a different monitor. Or if those games have moddable interfaces (like an MMO), use interfaces with transparent backgrounds to mitigate the impact. Someone in the same discord server as me has played something like 1000 hours of Hunt: Showdown on an LG CX, and a part of the interface has (lightly) burned into their screen. Not sure how to mitigate that aside from simply not playing that much of any one thing on an OLED screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 16, 2023

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
Hey guys. Looking for two 24-27 inch monitor, 2k res, with 120/144hz refresh rates. Super thin bezels, with no gimmicky RGB lighting (silver bezels preferred).

300-500 a pop would be great. Thanks!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Because I love pain, will literally never learn, and actually received the two Spectrum 4K models I pre-ordered from Dough back when they were Eve with minimal shipping issue, I have put in an order for this new 4K OLED model of theirs. Ask me in April (or whenever they delay it to) if I ever get it.

I'm certain of one thing; if this monitor ever does actually loving materialise, it will own incredibly and be very positive for me. If it doesn't, it will at least be very funny for you.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-Gaming...ps%2C113&sr=8-3

Edit: Right goons, is this a decent monitor? Not looking for anything fancy, just a good 1440p 144Hz+ monitor that will last a decade, have nice colour and low input latency, and not give me any surprises other than how nice it is for the price. The display resolution is noted as 1080p in the Display resolution maximum but the description of the product itself says 1440, so I'm assuming the former is a typo.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 16, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-Gaming...ps%2C113&sr=8-3

Edit: Right goons, is this a decent monitor? Not looking for anything fancy, just a good 1440p 144Hz+ monitor that will last a decade, have nice colour and low input latency, and not give me any surprises other than how nice it is for the price. The display resolution is noted as 1080p in the Display resolution maximum but the description of the product itself says 1440, so I'm assuming the former is a typo.

I'm fairly sure that's almost the same monitor as these, except with a slightly higher overclocked refresh rate:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/aoc/cq27g2
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-cq27g2u-cq27g2/

It's a very mediocre monitor overall. This is a budget monitor, and you'll get what you pay for. The main thing to worry about with VA monitors is dark-level smearing, which you can see the effect of better in the pcmonitors.info review's responsiveness section. Blacks and near-black shades will smear across the screen. Also, I would not trust any monitor this cheap (or any monitor made today at all tbh) to last 10 years. You should maybe consider something like this instead: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/TXTzK8/asus-tuf-gaming-vg27aq1a-270-2560x1440-170-hz-monitor-vg27aq1a

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

Hey guys. Looking for two 24-27 inch monitor, 2k res, with 120/144hz refresh rates. Super thin bezels, with no gimmicky RGB lighting (silver bezels preferred).

300-500 a pop would be great. Thanks!

By 2K, do you mean 1080p or 1440p? Because technically it can mean either. For 24" 1440p, you have exactly one option and it's the one I posted above (AOC Q24G2A). For 27", there are a million options. Your standard gaming monitor made today has a "bezeless" design where there's almost no plastic bezel along the sides and top, but there are still black borders in the panel itself. There's no getting rid of em. Silver bezels I'm not having much luck finding, but there is this MSI model I've never heard of before. It has a similar model name and specs to the MAG274QRF, so it may have the same panel? That's generally considered a decent to good IPS display if so. It has an RGB strip on the back. You can generally disable these in the OSD in most monitors, though I don't know if that's true here too.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 16, 2023

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Fedule posted:

Because I love pain, will literally never learn, and actually received the two Spectrum 4K models I pre-ordered from Dough back when they were Eve with minimal shipping issue, I have put in an order for this new 4K OLED model of theirs. Ask me in April (or whenever they delay it to) if I ever get it.

I'm certain of one thing; if this monitor ever does actually loving materialise, it will own incredibly and be very positive for me. If it doesn't, it will at least be very funny for you.

This monitor will materialize but I am 100% certain its going come from LG, Dell Asus before Dough even sends one out 😏. I wouldnt expect anything from Dough till at least 2025 with the way theyve handled things.

Good luck getting ever getting a refund heard theyre horrible at that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

This monitor will materialize but I am 100% certain its going come from LG, Dell Asus before Dough even sends one out 😏. I wouldnt expect anything from Dough till at least 2025 with the way theyve handled things.

Good luck getting ever getting a refund heard theyre horrible at that.

I've been thinking about their timing with the new monitor's pre-orders opening up before the panel they're using has even been officially announced. I'm guessing they're trying to pull in pre-orders for the new thing by presenting themselves as the "first" 32" 4K OLED gaming monitor (even though they most assuredly will not be) so they can use that money to fulfill the numerous refund requests they have for previous projects. Or maybe they're just going to pocket it all, idk

I'm changing my guess that this thing will have a QD-OLED to it having a WOLED panel instead. Largely because I've just now noticed that the brightness specs on their page don't change when toggling between the 27" 1440p WOLED and the 32" 4K model. The two also share the same product page basically, with them advertising a WOLED panel (though they're careful to not say the 32" model specifically is WOLED in the specs)

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Nur_Neerg posted:

What would best practices be for preventing burn-in issues? Is it literally just black background, auto hide task bar, turn off when not actively in use?

dont use the monitor lol

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

I've been thinking about their timing with the new monitor's pre-orders opening up before the panel they're using has even been officially announced. I'm guessing they're trying to pull in pre-orders for the new thing by presenting themselves as the "first" 32" 4K OLED gaming monitor (even though they most assuredly will not be) so they can use that money to fulfill the numerous refund requests they have for previous projects. Or maybe they're just going to pocket it all, idk

I'm changing my guess that this thing will have a QD-OLED to it having a WOLED panel instead. Largely because I've just now noticed that the brightness specs on their page don't change when toggling between the 27" 1440p WOLED and the 32" 4K model. The two also share the same product page basically, with them advertising a WOLED panel (though they're careful to not say the 32" model specifically is WOLED in the specs)

Just a shady company all around. Kinda surprised they're getting away with their poo poo but theyre non US based so 🤷‍♀️.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing with Dough/Eve is, they've turned a lot of stuff around after they changed management but their first, signature, eponymous product was such a trainwreck that their reputation at large is unsalvageable. The other thing with them is that they are now actually really good at putting together products, but their commercial operation is still so awful that I cannot in good conscience ever recommend anyone attempt to buy anything from them (They are setting up to have external distributors, like Amazon, stock Spectrum monitors, so if you see one there, it might actually be worth buying). Like they are shipping these things out by the container on boats from China, taking months, come on. Everyone who actually manages to get their hands on one of those monitors loves it, me included. And the design of these things is something I wish more reputable monitor makers would copy. They're legitimately really good. It's just... who's going to put themselves through the emotional wringer like that over a monitor?

90% of their problems would evaporate if they could just get someone else to handle their distribution. It's baffling that after all the work they do they manage to fail at the part where all they have to do is actually send the things to buyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've been looking around the internet for this information, but I can't find anything definitive. I have an HDR monitor, and HDR works automatically in some games (Doom Eternal), in other games you need to adjust the HDR settings (Diablo 4) or else it looks washed out, and some games ask for Max Luminance. Diablo 4 wants to know "black point, white point, and brightness" for example. How do I know what to set those to? Are they a property of my monitor?

I've tried just eyeing it and seeing what looks best, but I'm still curious what those settings mean.