Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sometimes I feel like I have this but I act very consistently so I can pretty accurately fill in the gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Votskomit posted:

I worked for a company who got a "growth hacker" to boost engagement in 2015.

Same trick.

It fell apart quickly. I quit quickly but many of my former colleagues lost months of salary that they are still owed.

every growth hacker i ever talked to has been a guy (always a guy) that just scraped contact info from linkedin, did the flimsiest of sentiment analysis on some public posts and then sent out one of six badly written intro emails based on their expert analysis of the personality type of their target

and they keep getting hired because managers cant wrap their heads around the concept that if they dont want to receive garbage quality cold pitches like this, the people theyre getting these growth hacker to send emails to dont want them either

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

seeing everything in terms of money is possibly more of his gimmick than the use of the word "peep"

anytime i read a bdid post i hear this tune in my head but the words are "peeps n figgies":
https://youtu.be/eu2OYcgr4rM

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

anytime i read a bdid post i hear this tune in my head but the words are "peeps n figgies":
https://youtu.be/eu2OYcgr4rM

knew what it was before clicking

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Sagebrush posted:

I just saw a truck driving around advertising a garbage can cleaning service.

Not a garbage service! Not waste disposal! A service that drives a special truck to your house and "cleans, sanitizes, and deodorizes your garbage cans." 50% off your first can.

loving garden hose as a service rear end bullshit

ive been seeing social media posts about how much money you can make doing this as a "side hustle." usually from the same sorts of people who tell you to rent out dumpsters or buy life insurance instead of tax-advantaged retirement funds. sign of the end times

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

EricBauman posted:

every growth hacker i ever talked to has been a guy (always a guy) that just scraped contact info from linkedin, did the flimsiest of sentiment analysis on some public posts and then sent out one of six badly written intro emails based on their expert analysis of the personality type of their target

and they keep getting hired because managers cant wrap their heads around the concept that if they dont want to receive garbage quality cold pitches like this, the people theyre getting these growth hacker to send emails to dont want them either

if you don't get product market fit then surely the market is wrong and needs to be educated.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

https://a16z.com/2023/01/11/market-annealing/

quote:

when the company has a better idea than the market for what the market needs, and so has to work hard to overcome the inherent shape of the market

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
zero new signups? am i so out of touch?

no, it is the market that is wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
using "growth hacking" to defraud softbank of hundreds of millions is arguably the most ethical possible use of that kind of service

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
when a cell hacks its growth it is called cancer, and it is vital to kill the cancer before it kills the host

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I just saw a truck driving around advertising a garbage can cleaning service.

Not a garbage service! Not waste disposal! A service that drives a special truck to your house and "cleans, sanitizes, and deodorizes your garbage cans." 50% off your first can.

loving garden hose as a service rear end bullshit

slightly worse than the multiple businesses that will pick up dog poo poo from your yard around me. how is that a business wtf

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

this reads like that one essay about opening up a million drop ship stores in parallel but instead of skimming 1000 bucks off of people looking for matcha online its so you can get millions from egg heads dumb vest wearing friends

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

however I would not recommend having a hole in your memory, also if your neurologist goes "nah it's not that" to something that is *exactly* like that", get a second opinion!

jeezus, that's the best advice i wish i had. i had epilepsy growing up and the medication caused all sorts of health issues (luck of the draw rare side effects) and the neurologist insisted it couldn't be that, anything but the medication!

eventually i went to a different neurologist who instantly recognized the side effects and put me on a much better medication

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"growth hacker" sounds like its a short person trying to code their way into growing a modest inch and a half

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

slightly worse than the multiple businesses that will pick up dog poo poo from your yard around me. how is that a business wtf

you make $500k per year, live in a big house, and just let your dogs out in your front yard without a leash. you could pick it up yourself but you just got some new poo poo from amazon and it's only like $100 so whatever. plus it feels cool to order someone to clean up your dog's turds from the lawn.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Eeyo posted:

you make $500k per year, live in a big house, and just let your dogs out in your front yard without a leash. you could pick it up yourself but you just got some new poo poo from amazon and it's only like $100 so whatever. plus it feels cool to order someone to clean up your dog's turds from the lawn.

but you don't need to pay 100 bucks to amazon the poo poo is already out there and free and just as fresh and you are paying people to take it away. double paying for poo poo! they probably sell it to amazon!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

dogs: nasty poo poo you have to pay someone $100 to scalp on amazon

chickens: ideal fertilizer in little dry pellets and occasionally a delicious egg

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

"growth hacker" sounds like its a short person trying to code their way into growing a modest inch and a half

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
L-l-look at you, growth hacker...

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
A pathetic creature of grift and loan

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

panting and sweating as you run through my vc funds

8723_5
Aug 8, 2023
bug patched!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

8723_5 posted:

bug patched!

keep honking, im reregistering :D

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i too am holding my probe

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if you hold it for more than 4 hours, seek moderator attention immediately

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

tech bubble v5.11: how can you audit a suspect, immoral machine?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

no thats called jelqers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

tech bubble v5.11: how can you audit a suspect, immoral machine?

outside my wheelhouse, unfortunately

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Arson Daily posted:

idk man i dont want to pick up dog poo poo, doesnt sound like the worst idea ever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

idk man i dont want to pick up dog poo poo, doesnt sound like the worst idea ever

if you just don’t pick it up then your lawn will grow better and stronger

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

paying someone to unfertilize my lawn? get out of here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ive been paying a dude £75 a year to come by and clean my bins every couple of weeks and it’s 100% worth it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
How could it possibly be worth it? What the hell are you putting in your garbage that necessitates that sort of service? Do you just dump food straight in without a bag or something?

I spray my garbage can out with the hose approx 3x a year at a cost of 1 cent and 5 minutes each time and I can't say I've ever felt it was inadequate

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

we have 4 separate bins, one is specifically for organic stuff and shouldn’t have any plastic in it and it gets seriously grody in summer

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

just hold your breath lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

we have 4 separate bins, one is specifically for organic stuff and shouldn’t have any plastic in it and it gets seriously grody in summer

the canadians used a garden hose

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

or so i hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

fart simpson posted: