Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I'm looking forward to a 1500 parking space office with zero public transportation anywhere nearby trying to hold 2400 employees in a couple of months. Even if there was, there's none in my neighborhood anyway. My schedule has me starting a tiny bit later than a lot of people (830-5). This is going to be such fun.

I'd push more on not going back in, but I have a partner who is unemployed at the moment, so, I'm pretty much stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8523_3rd
Aug 6, 2023
close at 8:30pm

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Cthulu Carl posted:

It could really be anything.

Multiple wifi networks (The one for regular use, the one meant just for executives - that my team uses for our phones - and the old one that's still around) went down a few weeks ago at like 9 AM. By 3 PM they were still down and the bridge call that had been open since about 9 was the networking team hemming and hawing about why they can't come into the office to actually fix things.

Oh hey I think I figured out this mystery. Nobody who can do it lives within 100 miles of the place anymore.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

OPAONI posted:

Oh hey I think I figured out this mystery. Nobody who can do it lives within 100 miles of the place anymore.

Actually a few of them do and come in about once a week.

But if something needs done outside of the days they come in, the only thing getting done is them trying to get us to do it for them while we explain "Nope, not our poo poo, not our problem."

Maybe one day I'll agree to do whatever they're asking, but bungle it and just unplug a bunch of poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Discovered a nice, quiet, out of the way bar that specializes in Amontillado

I will be inviting people there from now on.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

For the love of God, Montresor!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Barudak posted:

You quit sales for HR?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Barudak posted:

Was the other bar you went to not paying protection?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Have you authenticated that they are serving genuine Amontillado sherry?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lazyfire posted:

office bullshit
Not that they'll listen, but send them that article from a couple pages back.

Barudak posted:

Is it in Singapore?

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
"he went to a new post in singapore"

"he's going to check out a cask of amontillado in Italy"

"HR is doing a little arm reduction. yeah, you heard me"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

blackmet posted:

I'm looking forward to a 1500 parking space office with zero public transportation anywhere nearby trying to hold 2400 employees in a couple of months. Even if there was, there's none in my neighborhood anyway. My schedule has me starting a tiny bit later than a lot of people (830-5). This is going to be such fun.

I'd push more on not going back in, but I have a partner who is unemployed at the moment, so, I'm pretty much stuck.

Yeah if these guys can't get away with it I don't know how the rest of us are supposed to manage:

I'm still full WFH and while we haven't gotten an explicit RTO mandate yet my management keeps asking me to pick out a desk that I want for myself in the new office. I gave some noncommittal handwavey response and pretended like I forgot about it, this was about a month ago now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

El oh el

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

lol new WaPo editorial by Bloomberg demanding return to office. He’s got billions would imagine his commercial real estate portfolio could survive a hit.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

lol new WaPo editorial by Bloomberg demanding return to office. He’s got billions would imagine his commercial real estate portfolio could survive a hit.

Number can only go up, friend.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

SubponticatePoster posted:

Is it in Singapore?

Andaman Isles workforce reduction department

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The commercial real estate bubble is a major tool in the wealth extraction game.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was just walking through my science lab and stepped on a no-slip foam pad

It slipped, because someone had apparently picked it up to mop the floor, then tossed it back down with the floor still wet, and i wiped out

Ow

Lol

Lmao

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

rotinaj posted:

I was just walking through my science lab and stepped on a no-slip foam pad

It slipped, because someone had apparently picked it up to mop the floor, then tossed it back down with the floor still wet, and i wiped out

Ow

Lol

Lmao

Would that not technically be roflmao

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
:qq: my favorite agents at work are all promoting to higher paygrades and it's happening so fast I don't get to do one more 1:1 with them. that kinda sucks a little. I've been with these agents as their coach for 6 whole months now, and it's my very first time ever being management at any job, and it's gone so loving well that more than half my team is getting promoted and every single one of them independent of each other has said something giving me credit for it and I am a little verklempt over work

it feels good to have been part of getting people to better jobs, making more money. one of the agents on the team is on paid medical leave now because I saw him spiraling and before it got bad enough for him to go on corrective action or anything I did a whole 1:1 with him where I showed him step by step how to apply for paid medical leave and told him about how my wife had done the same thing, came back afterwards and got promoted not long afterwards. even if he just takes the paid leave and fucks off afterwards I'm still happy with that result and proud that the company I work for does this for its employees when they need it. get your poo poo straight dude, we'll be here after if you want but if not that's cool too.

I know I'm patting myself on the back here but damnit I did a great loving job with this group and I helped make their jobs easier and more comfortable and showed them how to move on to the next paygrade and I'm proud of that. it's coming to an end and I will have a new team of agents soon, and could even get moved to a department I'm not even familiar with. so who knows how it's gonna go down from here but I'm happy as hell with how it's gone so far.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

In contrast, I just had to fire someone because I coached them every week 1:1 on test prep for FINRA exams and they couldn't beat the SIE after three tries in six months.

It loving sucks when you're telling people "I am paying you to study, gently caress work, study only," and they won't. She did work instead.

If someone tells you gently caress WORK STUDY INSTEAD I'LL PAY YOU ANYWAY please do it.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

My wife randomly asked me what my location was listed as on HR site and confirmed that, yes, I'm listed as completely remote. Then she didn't respond, but that's kind of normal for our conversations. The reason behind the question became apparent yesterday when there was a sudden Supply Chain all hands. I should have guessed we were getting the dreaded Return-To-Office message. A LOT of people were pissed in the Anonymous Q&A chat. The basics are that if you live in "reasonable distance" of your home office you are expected to be in the office at least a couple days a week. Yes, the terms are all vague, this isn't even being rolled out through a email or anything, just individual departments telling everyone officially to expect to be back in the office starting September 1st.

We're short staffed, just had a re-org get started and now we're going to be pushing people back to office work after three years of WFH and being told multiple times there were no plans to force a return. Adding insult to injury, the person telling us we were coming back forgot to put a background on and you could see she was doing the call from her bedroom. My question about how often she had been back in the office if it is so great didn't get answered. My question about if they were planning on hiring once people start quitting over the policy also went unanswered. I get the feeling that this is just not popular in our management and they fully know it's going to lead to people leaving. I moved 300 miles from the office last year, and people that are listed as fully remote like myself are "encouraged" to come in as frequently as possible while "Hybrid" listed employees are getting forcibly changed to on-site.

Pissing some people off is that the company doesn't plan on ending the wider net cast for employees over the last few years where we were hiring people all over the country that never went into an office since they started. There were some serious anger in the chat because we have management talking about how great being in the office is and how it helps you collaborate and blah blah blah, but apparently not for people who just happen to live further away. I can't imagine the company stopping all remote work/positions because a bunch of us did move when it looked like WFH was here to stay and there wouldn't be a justification to just fire all of us, so even if they don't like the idea of not having us where they can see us all the time there's an understanding that you can't expect to get full staffing without taking advantage of our ability to work remote. I don't get why, besides the paternalistic stuff of keeping an eye on the workers, they are starting this up now. We kept the remote work as primary policy for much longer than a lot of the other companies in our industry, but you could see from a lot of the job postings that Remote was disappearing from the site list over the last year or so, and I had guessed this was possibly coming. I just can't believe how incredibly bad they were at announcing it and how little information we have on the particulars.

I know we are not in the same industry but I just went through this and it was toally "rah rah it's great" as well as being totally unrealistic.
I made it clear I did not get a masters and work my rear end off to work in a call center because you soloed asshats think it's great. (It is not great, each of the three presentation for the new in office policy was all the same stupid script. Dumbasses did not think people talk to each other) Turns out the scuttle is that certain managers said "It's soooo hard to manage people only coming in 2 days a week) Screw those lazy bums and screw this open office.

Then we just cut 2K jobs, about 6.5% and it was in professional news 3 weeks before we were told......for "reasons" . Those reasons are that the industry is worried about not making thier margins so they are creating the problem by cutting all these jobs from highly leveraged teams. Oh yeaaa thats going great.

So 2 weeks ago I made a promise to myself to not stop until i work somewhere else and I am surprised how many actual companies are making the effort to talk to me. I have 2 interview set up for next week on top of all the video calls. All have a default raise I should have persued 2 years ago or so,. Boy I feel dumb.

Heck a remote position feels odd to me because I do want some kind of connection to my team but an internationalinsurance group just talked about 100K full remote (this is close to double my salary) and still want to talk to me since the push is thier local talent pool is exhausted...crossing my fingers.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

teemolover42069 posted:

I know I'm patting myself on the back here but damnit I did a great loving job with this group and I helped make their jobs easier and more comfortable and showed them how to move on to the next paygrade and I'm proud of that. it's coming to an end and I will have a new team of agents soon, and could even get moved to a department I'm not even familiar with. so who knows how it's gonna go down from here but I'm happy as hell with how it's gone so far.

Positive attrition is the sign of a good leader.

One thing you might float, if you think you have the political capital and want people to stick around a bit longer...create kind of a two-step level in your department. Newer reps are brought in at the lower title/pay level with slightly easier objectives. After a certain amount of time, once they've proven to be a decent employee, bump them up to the next grade. It slows down turnover and gives the noobs something to aspire to.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cthulu Carl posted:

Actually a few of them do and come in about once a week.

But if something needs done outside of the days they come in, the only thing getting done is them trying to get us to do it for them while we explain "Nope, not our poo poo, not our problem."

Maybe one day I'll agree to do whatever they're asking, but bungle it and just unplug a bunch of poo poo.

Nah, bump the fiber lines hard enough to break one of the strands.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
We have an assembly with a cover over an IR source and there's a shim between the cover and the main housing. The nominal gap between the shim and cover/housing is set at 1 thousandth of an inch.

WHICH MEANS THEY DESIGNED THE loving THING TO TORQUE ONTO THE IR SOURCE.

I rewrote that step in the traveller myself.

Morons.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

We have an assembly with a cover over an IR source and there's a shim between the cover and the main housing. The nominal gap between the shim and cover/housing is set at 1 thousandth of an inch.

Morons.

wow, that's nuts

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I'm an adult, I know what those words mean. You can't prove that I don't.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

teemolover42069 posted:

I'm an adult, I know what those words mean. You can't prove that I don't.

They were tightening the cover onto the part it's supposed to be protecting, instead of the shim. I changed it.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
For his job, my brother has to work alongside a loose group of really big real estate people here in the city (and yes they are all human trash). He overhears them talk constantly about how their commercial buildings are all losing money and for like a year now they have been talking about a commercial real-estate crash being imminent.

I also learned from him that because the utility needs(?) and codes are so different it’s really not possible to convert commercial high-rises to residential here so instead they focus on pressuring companies to force workers to RTO. I don’t know what that entails exactly but they have met with the mayor as a group about it a few times and have more or less extorted my brother’s employer to bring people back into the office (even though none of those ghouls own that building).

With all the connections these leeches have I expect they are why more places here have been demanding more in office work.

As an aside, it’s kind of funny how these big real estate dynasties all absolutely loathe each other and all fight really dirty to one-up each other. Like for one example there’s this huge lawsuit that has been going on for ages between two of them about who gets to put their name on a charity endowment and while it’s going on neither of them is paying what they promised and so the people they ostensibly wanted to help instead continue to go without. There are another two families who won’t talk to each other so in face-to-face meetings they pretend they can’t hear each other and instead talk through intermediaries like bratty children.

Every time my brother has to put out some kind of press release or promotional material or whatever that involves these assholes a bunch of lawyers get involved to argue out which names get listed in what order and it takes forever to resolve.

So anyway if anyone wonders who really benefits from return-to-office there you go.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Smuggins posted:

So 2 weeks ago I made a promise to myself to not stop until i work somewhere else and I am surprised how many actual companies are making the effort to talk to me. I have 2 interview set up for next week on top of all the video calls. All have a default raise I should have persued 2 years ago or so,. Boy I feel dumb.
Don't. Inertia is a powerful force. Things finally got bad enough, and bad enough is a larger quantity than just "bad".

e: I am told, probably by unreliable sources, that there are two key problems with office-to-housing conversions. First, that offices are built to different plumbing demands than housing. An office doesn't have hundreds of people all taking showers between 6 and 7 AM. It isn't just the scale, it's the simultaneity. Second, offices have access to windows only for a lucky few. If you convert an office to housing, most of the apartments will have no windows.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 7, 2023

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MonkeyHate posted:

For his job, my brother has to work alongside a loose group of really big real estate people here in the city (and yes they are all human trash). He overhears them talk constantly about how their commercial buildings are all losing money and for like a year now they have been talking about a commercial real-estate crash being imminent.

I also learned from him that because the utility needs(?) and codes are so different it’s really not possible to convert commercial high-rises to residential here so instead they focus on pressuring companies to force workers to RTO.

So anyway if anyone wonders who really benefits from return-to-office there you go.

The main thing is theres a ton of inner space for buildings that will never be useful for apartments unless you want rooms with no windows whatsoever. A lot that would have 1 office tower would probably have two apartment blocks with an inner courtyard or something like that. The other thing is that there needs to be hot water pumped up and out to much more distant places in the building. If you ever wonder why bathrooms are in the same place on every floor its so they can keep plumbing in place. It's not just greedy fucks preventing office buildings becoming residential there are practical issues to the point its maybe cheaper to knock them down and rebuild them.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

On the back of the patch panel, backside of the termination female port.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

teemolover42069 posted:

:qq: my favorite agents at work are all promoting to higher paygrades and it's happening so fast I don't get to do one more 1:1 with them. that kinda sucks a little. I've been with these agents as their coach for 6 whole months now, and it's my very first time ever being management at any job, and it's gone so loving well that more than half my team is getting promoted and every single one of them independent of each other has said something giving me credit for it and I am a little verklempt over work

I'm the night shift supervisor, and I've kinda made peace with the fact that everyone I train and promote will eventually request a transfer to day shift, and I'll have to give it to them or they'll leave the company entirely.

Fortunately I have a few night shift loyalists who are excellent, experienced techs and will help me train that continuous revolving door of people.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Morons.

Oh engineers and tolerance stacking :allears:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Last year a co-worker had an ethernet cable stuck in a port and when I tried to help get it out, I managed to extract the cable and all twisted pairs therein out of the RJ45, leaving the connecter still hopelessly jammed in the computer. And somehow broke the clip of the connector in the process.

I wonder if I can pull that off again...

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Elviscat posted:

Oh engineers and tolerance stacking :allears:

I worked with the aunt of guy that hosed this up and I already told on him to her. She's going to roast his rear end off.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

I'm the night shift supervisor, and I've kinda made peace with the fact that everyone I train and promote will eventually request a transfer to day shift, and I'll have to give it to them or they'll leave the company entirely.

Fortunately I have a few night shift loyalists who are excellent, experienced techs and will help me train that continuous revolving door of people.

I'd take a night shift job at my company easily, you get a 20% pay differential for it and it's mostly dead except for total whackos and people calling at 2:39 AM after the bar closed because their card is declining and poo poo like that and I have no problem handling those calls. And my entire actual day where things happen is free? sign me the gently caress up, sure I'll sleep crazy hours, who cares.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MonkeyHate posted:

I also learned from him that because the utility needs(?) and codes are so different it’s really not possible to convert commercial high-rises to residential here so instead they focus on pressuring companies to force workers to RTO. I don’t know what that entails exactly but they have met with the mayor as a group about it a few times and have more or less extorted my brother’s employer to bring people back into the office (even though none of those ghouls own that building).

With all the connections these leeches have I expect they are why more places here have been demanding more in office work.

As an aside, it’s kind of funny how these big real estate dynasties all absolutely loathe each other and all fight really dirty to one-up each other. Like for one example there’s this huge lawsuit that has been going on for ages between two of them about who gets to put their name on a charity endowment and while it’s going on neither of them is paying what they promised and so the people they ostensibly wanted to help instead continue to go without. There are another two families who won’t talk to each other so in face-to-face meetings they pretend they can’t hear each other and instead talk through intermediaries like bratty children.

Every time my brother has to put out some kind of press release or promotional material or whatever that involves these assholes a bunch of lawyers get involved to argue out which names get listed in what order and it takes forever to resolve.

Dang that is interesting, not to be too :tinfoil: but wondering how much of that narrative is being pushed by car & oil companies. People sitting at home aren’t buying as much gas or needing a new car as quickly, and on a massive scale that would cost a lot of awful industries an awful lot of money.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

teemolover42069 posted:

I'd take a night shift job at my company easily, you get a 20% pay differential for it and it's mostly dead except for total whackos and people calling at 2:39 AM after the bar closed because their card is declining and poo poo like that and I have no problem handling those calls. And my entire actual day where things happen is free? sign me the gently caress up, sure I'll sleep crazy hours, who cares.

Hell I did night shift at a gas station with no differential and still preferred it. I had to switch because I couldn't sleep during the day and was slowly losing it, but I miss it a bit. It was 90% nutjobs and 40% regulars, and I baked all the cookies and pastries for the day shift so the shop smelled amazing. Super chill.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If I was still young and single I’d work night shift forever but as an old and married person weird shifts really gently caress with your life in annoying ways.

I was working 0400-1200 for a little while which was loving awesome in terms of finishing work and then having several hours to go out and do things while everyone else was too busy being at work to get in my way, but eventually having to go to bed at like 7 every night after only seeing my wife for like 2 hours when she gets home and the fact that while I had all this prime free time all my friends were at work so I couldn’t really do poo poo except sit around the house and play video games most of the time anyway made me give the shift up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When I worked at a 24/7 place my favorite shift was 13:00 to 22:00. Didn't gently caress my sleep schedule up at all, still had mornings to do normal stuff and things went basically dead around my lunch break so I had plenty of opportunities to do internal training or just slum it. Plus as a 20 something, no one did anything until I got off work.