Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blarzgh posted:

other lawyers most of all

I would have assumed that they hated themselves most of all, for letting them get into the legal field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
So, I live in Texas (:negative:), and you know our good old corrupt fucker AG’s been in legal trouble for a while. I remember the courts were like “oh no you’re paying the prosecutors too much, can’t do that” to Collin County, but now that the trial’s been moved to Houston, is the state still limited by how much it can pay its prosecutors? How much is normal to pay prosecutors for a complex, important case, anyway?

The ones for his impeachment trial are getting $500 a hour.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a like 8 foot wide strip of land all along the edge of my property that is right before the treeline that separates my house from my neighbor's. for many years now, since before the current people lived there(before the previous neighbor died), I've been taking care of that lawn, while the neighbor has not. is there any way to claim it as my property since they've never done anything to maintain it, unlikely but I figured I'd ask

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The concept you're talking about is called "adverse possession." Whether it applies depends entirely on the rules of the state you're in and the facts on the ground. Talk to a local real estate lawyer to find out.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

there's a like 8 foot wide strip of land all along the edge of my property that is right before the treeline that separates my house from my neighbor's. for many years now, since before the current people lived there(before the previous neighbor died), I've been taking care of that lawn, while the neighbor has not. is there any way to claim it as my property since they've never done anything to maintain it, unlikely but I figured I'd ask

Most likely it's an easement owned by the neighborhood or a utility company

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nah, it's just a strip of the lawn there's no utility/driveway or anything attached to it, I don't know why they sectioned off the property line like that rather than setting it at the tree line, but it makes it awkward since there's a couple huge boulders and a massive oak in the treeline between my and their lawns. I'd happily maintain all of it if I owned it, but if I don't own it, I don't want to spend the money or effort to maintain it, and they don't seem interested in doing so either based on the period when they just let the grass grow to like a foot tall. made my lawn look real awful with this section right next to it that had completely gone out of control.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

The concept you're talking about is called "adverse possession." Whether it applies depends entirely on the rules of the state you're in and the facts on the ground. Talk to a local real estate lawyer to find out.
alright, I'll see if there's anything I can do. really wish I'd sat down with my neighbor before she died and figured it out, the current people who live there seem a lot less amicable to anything. my neighbor across the street has always used the backyard into the forest to dump branches, compost, etc since he doesn't have a connection to the forest, and the new guy yelled at him for getting too close to "his property"

I wonder if it's possible to just buy that section of land off them, maybe the treeline too, at some point in the future if this adverse possession thing can't happen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are you sure your neighbors even know that that strip of property is theirs? Just the fact they didn't cut it after you randomly stopped cutting it yourself doesn't suggest that they do, although do they even own a mower?

Most likely you can work something out with them far more cheaply than going down some legal route in which you seize some of their property, and if you were to actually succeed at taking some of their property, well, you'll be living next door to mortal enemies for as long as you're both there. That's not a great outcome either.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one day there appeared a line of big orange marker poles along the property line in the lawn, placed by the guy, so I think he's aware. I'll see if I can discuss it amicably with him but somehow I'm not sure he'd be friendly about it. but I guess I'll see, when/if it comes to that.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Captain Invictus posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

nah, it's just a strip of the lawn there's no utility/driveway or anything attached to it, I don't know why they sectioned off the property line like that rather than setting it at the tree line, but it makes it awkward since there's a couple huge boulders and a massive oak in the treeline between my and their lawns. I'd happily maintain all of it if I owned it, but if I don't own it, I don't want to spend the money or effort to maintain it, and they don't seem interested in doing so either based on the period when they just let the grass grow to like a foot tall. made my lawn look real awful with this section right next to it that had completely gone out of control.

alright, I'll see if there's anything I can do. really wish I'd sat down with my neighbor before she died and figured it out, the current people who live there seem a lot less amicable to anything. my neighbor across the street has always used the backyard into the forest to dump branches, compost, etc since he doesn't have a connection to the forest, and the new guy yelled at him for getting too close to "his property"

I wonder if it's possible to just buy that section of land off them, maybe the treeline too, at some point in the future if this adverse possession thing can't happen.

Captain Invictus posted:

one day there appeared a line of big orange marker poles along the property line in the lawn, placed by the guy, so I think he's aware. I'll see if I can discuss it amicably with him but somehow I'm not sure he'd be friendly about it. but I guess I'll see, when/if it comes to that.

I hope I'm not the only one reading these posts and thinking "Captain Invictus sounds like an insane person that runs up to cars at stoplights and washes the windshield for 20 seconds then demands $20."

Are you really trying to lay claim to your neighbors land because you have, without permission, been altering it however you like, perhaps even without having once discussed it? It does't matter if you think it looks bad that the grass is different on the other side of the property line, it's not yours to decide about. Your neighbor doesn't owe you a smooth transition in grass conditions. There is some weird lawn-brainworm that makes people believe their life is materially worse if the people around them don't have the same landscaping goals.

Captain Invictus, you should stay off that lot. He might be a huge jerk and an absolute dick, but your life can only get worse by picking a gigantic, unnecessary fight with a huge dick. If you can't just let it go, calculate how much it might have cost to hire a neighborhood kid to do the maintenance you have done on the strip of property since the new owner took possession, and contemplate if you would happily sell the same area of your own property for that amount. If so, think about writing a check that large and walking next door to say, "Hi, sorry about the whole mowing without asking thing, the previous owner was cool about it, and I thought you might be willing to sell the strip for $X, I'll pay for the survey and any other costs if you are willing to deal."

But he doesn't owe you anything.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If the strip is so narrow that you can't/wouldn't want to build a structure on it, and you're not putting up a fence, then what does it really matter who technically owns it anyways?

You're clearly OK doing simple yard work on it since it makes your own property look better. If you actually owned it it might increase your property value by $$ but also your property tax by $. Seems like a wash.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
apologies, not what I intended, but I am unfamiliar with real estate stuff like that. no need to get hostile about hypotheticals, just asking about things, I guess I worded it poorly. there's no urge to seize the land(e: lol just googled "adverse possession", didn't realize that's literally Squatter's Rights, that's not what I was intending), I had heard of some law about land changing hands and wanted to ask about it. I know there's a shed on my property that extends my property line by like 10 feet, but if it were to be taken down, I would apparently lose that property extension. it's weird. I somewhat recently bought the property and home from my mom who I take care of, so I'm pretty new to home/property ownership. I guess a real estate lawyer would be a good person to sit down and talk about stuff with to learn about esoteric things about home ownership.

they've never been interested in getting to know us, kept very to themselves, so aside from a few interactions when they first moved in, I don't know them much. It's not something I planned on doing soon or anything, just something I was thinking about down the line, and was curious about if ownership might change hands automatically because of some circumstance, but if it can be as easy as cutting them a check after a discussion, then I'll try that if I ever want to try buying that strip of land up to the treeline.

it's less about the lawn and more that invasive plants were spreading wildly there, poison ivy, bittersweet, etc, which has been a big problem for me. they don't seem to mind my dealing with the caretaking/mowing, but after hearing they yelled at my neighbor for getting too close to the property line, it bothered me is all. I noticed they have some horribly overgrown/strangled bushes on their property, maybe I'll try offering them a deal to both buy the section I mentioned and deal with those bushes if they want.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If the strip is so narrow that you can't/wouldn't want to build a structure on it, and you're not putting up a fence, then what does it really matter who technically owns it anyways?

You're clearly OK doing simple yard work on it since it makes your own property look better. If you actually owned it it might increase your property value by $$ but also your property tax by $. Seems like a wash.
fair! it's more that I wanted to just be able to currently caretake and not worry about whether I'm crossing a line or not, and so my neighbor can toss stuff in the woods without issue. but maybe I'll just keep going as it is until they say something. and I have been considering building something on the property in the future, and that extra bit of land would definitely give me more options, as well, though it's not the only option.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 6, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

there's no urge to seize the land(e: lol just googled "adverse possession", didn't realize that's literally Squatter's Rights, that's not what I was intending), I had heard of some law about land changing hands and wanted to ask about it.
Adverse possession is intended to deal with the situation where a property line may suddenly come into dispute due to the sudden emergence of one of more decades old property surveys that indicate that the line is "here" when all involved parties had previously believed it to be "there". If the property had been previously maintained/treated as owned by one party (without prior dispute) then they may be able to claim it under adverse possession.

In your situation the actual line isn't under dispute. Now, it's totally reasonable to make an offer to purchase that portion of the property from your neighbor, then work through whatever your county's process is to separate and transfer that portion of the land to make it more functional to the both of you. Expect to pay for it though, as it's land your neighbor did pay for when they purchased the lot. That much is only fair.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 6, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Adverse possession is intended to deal with the situation where a property line may suddenly come into dispute due to the sudden emergence of one of more decades old property surveys that indicate that the line is "here" when all involved parties had previously believed it to be "there". If the property had been previously maintained/treated as owned by one party (without prior dispute) then they may be able to claim it under adverse possession.

In your situation the actual line isn't under dispute. Now, it's totally reasonable to make an offer to purchase that portion of the property from your neighbor, then work through whatever your county's process is to separate and transfer that portion of the land to make it more functional to the both of you. Expect to pay for it though, as it's land your neighbor did pay for when they purchased the lot. That much is only fair.
that's actually exactly what I was thinking of, I think that my previous neighbor who had been living there as long as we had believed the same, that the property line was the treeline, not a few meters over. So I regret not talking to them to sort it out, but I also didn't realize it wasn't where I thought it was until the poles appeared one day, so I didn't even know to talk to them about it.

and yeah, I figure it'd probably be pretty pricey. but they definitely don't care about it beyond being able to say "my property" based on experience so far, so maybe I can get it for less than expected. I'll look into talking to a real estate lawyer about what I should offer, etc. thanks for helping through my misunderstanding!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
There’s a lawyer on these very forums who dealt with a similar problem, and (iirc) he simply murdered the person and dumped the body somewhere

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

that's actually exactly what I was thinking of, I think that my previous neighbor who had been living there as long as we had believed the same, that the property line was the treeline, not a few meters over.
OK, when I said "believed" I meant "was actually conveyed as such in the title".

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
So after you had been mowing their land, they put up a lot of big orange poles all along the boundary. Was that from surveying required in the homebuying process or were they doing it specifically to tell you to buzz off? They might have more feelings about the lot line than you think, especially since they were already yelling at another neighbor about it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Captain Invictus posted:

there's no urge to seize the land(e: lol just googled "adverse possession", didn't realize that's literally Squatter's Rights, that's not what I was intending), I had heard of some law about land changing hands and wanted to ask about it.

What law do you imagine would allow the land to change hands that wasn't either buying it or seizing it?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

There’s a lawyer on these very forums who dealt with a similar problem, and (iirc) he simply murdered the person and dumped the body somewhere

dsyp

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Anne Whateley posted:

So after you had been mowing their land, they put up a lot of big orange poles all along the boundary. Was that from surveying required in the homebuying process or were they doing it specifically to tell you to buzz off? They might have more feelings about the lot line than you think, especially since they were already yelling at another neighbor about it.
nah, I had been keeping it mowed for a long time, the poles were from when they bought it, and I stopped mowing there, then they removed the poles after moving in and let it grow wild, I mowed it later and they didn't seem to mind so I've kept it up, but I should just sit down and talk it over with them, yeah. my neighbor from across the road was still on my property when he was tossing stuff in the woods, but this neighbor didn't like that he was tossing stuff so close to the property line it seems.

Atticus_1354 posted:

What law do you imagine would allow the land to change hands that wasn't either buying it or seizing it?
I don't have a clue about any of this sort of thing, as is apparent. but I wasn't sure what procedures I would need to go through in order to acquire a small parcel of land like that with the circumstances I thought it was under, it was my mistake thinking there were special circumstances attributed to it due to how it was treated in the past, which I now realize is irrelevant with the new owners. I didn't think I could just walk up to them with a check, basically. In my ignorance I thought it would require lawyers and a claim of some sort to even initiate some kind of transfer(though I imagine they will need to be involved at some point), and had no clue how to proceed with that, so asked here. Basically, I worked myself up in my head into thinking it was way, way, wayyyy more complicated than it actually is, and brought that misunderstanding here.

My apologies to the thread, I kind of stream-of-consciousness'd a hypothetical about this piece of land in here without thinking more about it, and also let preconceptions and troubles with my neighbor get in the middle of the explanation, muddying it all up further.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 6, 2023

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

AMA

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's really YOUR land and THEY'RE trying to adversely posses YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Maybe it's really YOUR land and THEY'RE trying to adversely posses YOU

Can I sue a ghost that attempts to possess my body? That feels like extremely adverse possession!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

When did you stop beating your wife

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

EwokEntourage posted:

When did you stop beating your wife

Hey now, they're a lawyer, not a cop.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Hey now, they're a lawyer, not a cop.

For some reason, they don’t let you ask cops that question

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

EwokEntourage posted:

Because it presumes they've stopped.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

EwokEntourage posted:

I once saw a defense attorney manage to ask the alleged victim that

Shooting case, self-defense defense argument. Defense's theory was this dude was a bad guy who beat up people all the time including his wife

Alleged shooting victim is on the stand. Prosecutor gets him to tell his story of how he just wanted to talk to this guy and that's why he went up to his car and was trying the doors and so forth.

Defense cross:

quote:

"So, Mr. X, you have a criminal record, right?"

"I have a past"

"have you ever been convicted of murder?

no

Shooting anyone?

no

Beating up anybody?

No

Never been convicted of beating up your wife?

no!

Do you recognize the woman in this photo?

No!

This woman with all these bruises on her face, that's not your wife?

No!

Defense attorney had all the case files from all the times guy had been convicted of beating up his wife, once he denied it it could all come in as impeachment testimony, spent the next half hour just grilling him on it all, photo after photo, guy just kept doubling down on the denials

Defense counsel's last question he just turned around and walked away from the stand and as he did so he asked "Mr. X, have you stopped beating your wife?"

Frankly he was stunting but it was beautiful to watch. Case ended up pleading down to a misdemeanor assault.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Generally speaking, is it legal to drive with expired tabs if you have ordered and paid for new tabs from the DMV website and are just waiting for them to arrive in the mail? Assume you have a printout of the order conformation in the glove box and the traffic stop is amicable. Minnesota if that makes a difference.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In my general non-Minnesota experience, the officer who pulls you over is annoyed when they lookup your registration in the computer and it isn’t actually expired, and gives you a stern verbal warning.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If the driving infraction is for not displaying proper tags then you can still get a ticket. Ymmv.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

smackfu posted:

In my general non-Minnesota experience, the officer who pulls you over is annoyed when they lookup your registration in the computer and it isn’t actually expired, and gives you a stern verbal warning.

* Offer may not apply to all races

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Generally speaking, it depends on the exact wording of the relevant law(s).

In my state, there's an explicit grace period in the law where even if your tag is expired you're still allowed to drive around for 15 days.

But I'm not in MN, so this information is completely useless to you except to show that the answer varies state by state.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In Iowa you get the entire following month. Meaning, if your tag says April, you can drive on it up until June 1.

But if you’re like me and still didn’t get it done, I felt pretty comfortable driving around after ordering the tags while carrying the receipt for the new ones in my glove box. But I’m a 40-something white dude in a Subaru. The minivan one with the third row, not one of the fun ones.

In any event, it’s all a gamble as to whether the cop got laid recently or whatever.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Grace period doesn't apply here as this is my summer car that I'm finally bringing out of storage after not driving it for a couple years. I think the tabs expired March 2022.

I'll take my chances. If I get pulled over, I'll just let the cop know he has no authority over me as I am a free man traveling on the land and I don't consent to his laws.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Skunkduster posted:

If I get pulled over, I'll just let the cop know he has no authority over me as I am a free man traveling on the land and I don't consent to his laws.

Why didn't I think of that?!?!?!?!?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skunkduster posted:

Generally speaking, is it legal to drive with expired tabs if you have ordered and paid for new tabs from the DMV website and are just waiting for them to arrive in the mail? Assume you have a printout of the order conformation in the glove box and the traffic stop is amicable. Minnesota if that makes a difference.

A few months ago I was driving and an officer I know vaguely from the courthouse rolled up beside me and made the "roll your window down" motion so I did and he let me know that my license plate had been expired for about a year and a half and I should get that dealt with

so I did later that week, I'd just missed the renewal under COVID and forgot about it

so my advice is smile at everyone you see in the courthouse where you work and hopefully this won't be a problem

note: this strategy does not work if you are playing life on a higher difficulty setting than "white male"

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

my license plate had been expired for about a year and a half and I should get that dealt with

The only time this happened to me I found out the city had a mandatory impound after 6 months expired.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Turns out it is a moot point. To be eligible to renew tabs online, the current registration must expire in the next six months or expired less than 10 months ago. I can't even remember the last time I went to the DMV in person, but it looks like I'm going to have to do that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Skunkduster posted:

Turns out it is a moot point. To be eligible to renew tabs online, the current registration must expire in the next six months or expired less than 10 months ago. I can't even remember the last time I went to the DMV in person, but it looks like I'm going to have to do that.

Having been to four offices in the metro area for different reasons, I had the shortest wait in Eagan and the longest in Saint Paul. YDMVMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
See if your dmv will let you schedule. It turned out to be unnecessary when I did it but it was nice to know I wouldn’t have to wait long to get my business resolved.