Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's the choice I would have made; from everything I know, it was the best chance at preserving the most lives while gaining victory.

War is near always choosing the less bad or all bad options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Haven't seen an alternate source yet, so here's what apparently set off the Montgomery brawl, courtesy of WORLD STAR

The security guard was on board a dinner boat that needed to pull into the pontoon boat's spot. Pontoon boat racists were told not to dock there, but they still did. So security guard leaves the dinner boat and unties the pontoon boat, drawing in the racists. The dinner boat people continue to heckle the racists while the security guard is yelling at them. That's why the security guard looked at the camera (the dinner boat) when he tossed his hat. That's also likely where Scuba Gooding Jr. came from - might've been a boat-jumper.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

My Lizard brain likes the bomb because booms are cool and bigger booms are exponentially cooler

My conscious brain has very different feelings about it

Disregarding the morality, the Manhattan Project is absolutely fascinating from a scientific perspective.

Would've been nice if they had given a single gently caress about what would happen to the waste though.

Even modern nuclear weapons are tricky from a morality standpoint. Would we have seen another total war in Europe without them? They may have saved hundreds of millions of lives by preventing wars between the superpowers.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

I want the judge to go with this. If this is "thinly veiled", Trump's tweets must be public admissions of guilt.

DOJ response: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149.15.0_2.pdf

A recap of the DOJ position: donnie's lawyer won't shut up [examples] and they'll leak discovery everywhere [examples] to try this case in the media [examples]. Deny their motion, adopt ours, and we shouldn't even need to orally argue this one."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-for an ultra conservative nation their constitution is surprisingly progressive giving legal equality between men and women, as an Austrian-American Jewish woman Beate Sirota Gordon was on the drafting committee and made sure that got in.

The MacArthur Shogunate would’ve been invaded as a communist nation if anyone in Washington was paying attention.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MrMojok posted:

I had meant to include a quote from the book I mentioned earlier, but couldn't find the Kindle. Now that I have, and that I read this post, I also found this quote I'd highlighted in there:

Anyway, the quote about the invasion I meant to include in my first post is this one:

Also

And lastly

OK I promise I will shut up about the book now.

Added to my reading list, thanks for sharing!

I finished reading Ian Toll's Pacific War trilogy a few months back, and while I've done a ton of reading on the post-war occupation (echoing Embracing Defeat as a recommended book here) and the bombings themselves, I was not aware until very recently how intense the kamikaze bombings were during Okinawa. The Navy had around ~5K in casualties alone (compared to the Marines ~3K) resulting mainly from kamikaze attacks which is very :stare: when you realize how much those attacks would have picked up had Downfall happened.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

This thread is great for my library and terrible for my bank account.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I live in Japan, and one of the anecdotes about the war that's stuck in my memory comes from a TV show where people were talking about their recollections of the war. A woman, just a child at a time, was at a train station sending her newly drafted father off. The woman's mother yelled out to the father as the train started going, "Make sure you come back alive!". An MP standing nearby on the train station walked up to the woman's mother, hit her with the butt of his rifle, and yelled something at her like "How dare you tell him to come back alive instead of dying a glorious death in battle!"

The bombs are obviously a very touchy subject in Japan, so I haven't had the opportunity to get many peoples' candid opinions about them. The handful of people I have broached the topic with mostly saw Japan as the victim in regards to the bombings, and perhaps unsurprisingly all of them had little to no knowledge about what Japan did to the rest of Asia during the war. I think that's mostly borne out of ignorance rather than intentional historical revisionism, though - they mostly seemed horrified when I brought up some of the Japan did. I'm not particularly familiar with how history is taught in Japanese schools, but I imagine there's a lot of convenient omission involved. It's something I'm mildly looking forward to getting a closer look at once my daughter turns high school age, in... 14 years or so.

That isn't to say that all of Japan completely denies or refuses to address Japanese warcrimes, though. I have seen history shows on TV that address things like soldiers urging civilians to commit suicide on Okinawa, and there's a general awareness that Japan did some Bad Things to women in Korea, partially thanks to Korea (rightfully) constantly demanding an apology that hasn't properly come.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1688720562707734528?t=x8Nzj-yArJRMs1WBcUJY4A&s=19

TrumpThatsTooBad.gif

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

hobbesmaster posted:

The MacArthur Shogunate would’ve been invaded as a communist nation if anyone in Washington was paying attention.

Apparently US advisors also tried to slip a clause into the constitution giving non-Japanese full rights but Japan changed the phrasing enough to make it toothless.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Added to my reading list, thanks for sharing!

I finished reading Ian Toll's Pacific War trilogy a few months back, and while I've done a ton of reading on the post-war occupation (echoing Embracing Defeat as a recommended book here) and the bombings themselves, I was not aware until very recently how intense the kamikaze bombings were during Okinawa. The Navy had around ~5K in casualties alone (compared to the Marines ~3K) resulting mainly from kamikaze attacks which is very :stare: when you realize how much those attacks would have picked up had Downfall happened.

Oh yeah that series is fantastic. Agreed I hadn’t know how effective kamikazes were late war inflicting massive damage. Or how US industry was so ridiculously prolific they had a destroyer whose main job was rotating movies, or how the construction on Guam got so over the top with baseball fields and other luxuries they had to rein it in.

Spoggerific posted:

That isn't to say that all of Japan completely denies or refuses to address Japanese warcrimes, though. I have seen history shows on TV that address things like soldiers urging civilians to commit suicide on Okinawa, and there's a general awareness that Japan did some Bad Things to women in Korea, partially thanks to Korea (rightfully) constantly demanding an apology that hasn't properly come.

Yeah there were so many it’s hard to comprehend. Especially stuff like Japan losing the Battle of Manila so decided to kill as many civilians as possible for fun. Or how nearly 10% of Vietnam died during the occupation from famine (although that was partly on the French government.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Spoggerific posted:

I will say that from my limited discussions about the war with Okinawans when I was there, they certainly haven't forgotten. They don't like the US troops being there either, mind - but for the most part they're very polite about it.

Really the general wish is that everybody would leave them the hell alone for once.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ob21 posted:

the one-million plus invasion force would have been exposed to potentially lethal doses of radiation along with the Japanese population

Ok you had me up until there. Long term nuclear fallout is bad, but rarely lethal. Would have been a lot more 1970's cancer deaths though.

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Ok you had me up until there. Long term nuclear fallout is bad, but rarely lethal. Would have been a lot more 1970's cancer deaths though.

Fair enough...the jist of the comment was that the effects of radiation were not yet well understood. Thanks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There was an immense amount of suffering ongoing in Japanese‐occupied territories at the time of surrender.

Even if American soldiers could have walked ashore to waiting white flags in November and taken the islands without firing a shot, the delay would have carried a great cost.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

My Lizard brain likes the bomb because booms are cool and bigger booms are exponentially cooler

My conscious brain has very different feelings about it

Says the guy who caused the great New Zealand Nuclear Panic of 2020...

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember when I was a kid reading a translation of a training pamphlet of some kind issued to kamikaze pilots. I don't remember where it was from, exactly, just that I was reading some WWII historical stuff.

It was a step by step, and I remember that it started with pilot poo poo and then veered into (for example) "Step 7: You will feel an urge to turn away, but do not, this is an urge to betray your country and you must exert your will. Step 8: As you get closer, you will feel a beautiful peace settle over you, and the Emperor's face will appear and bless you" and so on, all laid out in this factual procedural manual.

It's probably my earliest memory of knowing something was total horseshit, without the slightest bit of "...well maybe they know something I don't?" mixed in.

I remember thinking "...this is 100% BS. Who could possibly know these things? Whoever wrote this knew they were talking out of their rear end. What would make someone write this? What kind of person even would? Who would swallow this at face value?" and that was a long-rear end time ago but the way it made me feel is something that has stuck with me my entire life, and sadly, has come to mind more than a few times over the years.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Spoggerific posted:

The bombs are obviously a very touchy subject in Japan, so I haven't had the opportunity to get many peoples' candid opinions about them.

the hiroshima peace park has volunteer-run guided tours, and i was the only person that showed up for the tour that day

the nice old lady doing a very emotive, very japanese apology for the attack on pearl harbor and expressing thanks for the US designing a pacifist postwar constitution was very :stare: awkward next to the graphic statues of children with flesh melting off their bodies

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the hiroshima peace park has volunteer-run guided tours, and i was the only person that showed up for the tour that day

the nice old lady doing a very emotive, very japanese apology for the attack on pearl harbor and expressing thanks for the US designing a pacifist postwar constitution was very :stare: awkward next to the graphic statues of children with flesh melting off their bodies

Oof

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, basically unlike Germany, Japan was allowed to keep their head in the clouds about the War, and its resulted in a lot of angst, especially with Japan refusing to admit fault for some of the atrocities/slavery it carried out on the East Asian peninsula.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Warning: watching the following may include the smell of burnt toast
https://twitter.com/davidhth/status/1688623282096926720

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Warning: watching the following may include the smell of burnt toast
https://twitter.com/davidhth/status/1688623282096926720

figure things will either turn out so that this exists in history as something to be mocked for generations and to salt the fields of the memory of prageru and the rest of the war on intelligence slash post factual society

or

they win and we learn to love step and fetch it frederick douglass

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sexual Lorax posted:

figure things will either turn out so that this exists in history as something to be mocked for generations and to salt the fields of the memory of prageru and the rest of the war on intelligence slash post factual society

or

they win and we learn to love step and fetch it frederick douglass

PragerU started as stupid fringe online alt-right poo poo and is now being shown in public schools in the midst of one of the largest teacher shortages in my own living memory. Bit worried about this being mocked instead of taken seriously.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I think you can mock the fetid bullshit PragerU pumps out, while also being deeply concerned about what its spread means for the country.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

I think you can mock the fetid bullshit PragerU pumps out, while also being deeply concerned about what its spread means for the country.

As a bone fide historian with a degree and a published book and everything, this is the correct reaction.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You just know he's gonna start 80s style rapping next appearance

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

Yup. Its both hilarious awful AND deeply disturbing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Government and Trump's lawyers filed their joint statement about dates/times for a hearing on the protective order. Judge told them to pick a time wed-fri for the hearing. Trump's people asked for next week saying they want both lawyers to be there, they have split availability on Thurs. where one or the other can be there, said nothing about Wednesday, and said Friday was "lost" without further explanation. The government said they're ready at the judge's convenience. Hearing is now scheduled Friday 10:00 am.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ohio Issue 1 polls closed, and it took 25 minutes for Dave to say the thing:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1689062919848288258?t=GyTL6Xz0RBvwlCmroLX7BA&s=19

Get hosed, fascists.

E- good lord, it's going down like that one recreational weed bill that even Willie Nelson said he wouldn't support.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 9, 2023

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

E- good lord, it's going down like that one recreational weed bill that even Willie Nelson said he wouldn't support.
The one that would have made Dan Gilbert the state's biggest drug dealer?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

stealie72 posted:

The one that would have made Dan Gilbert the state's biggest drug dealer?

I'm assuming that's it. It's the one that also would have given one of the members of 98 Degrees one of the 10 exclusive, irrevocable licenses to ever grow weed in Ohio, yet those partaking could still have been picked up for possession as there would have been no way possible to distinguish between the legal and illegal :420:.

I just hope that, if they do eventually legalize it here, the system is less of a clusterfuck than the medical one is.

E- Lest we forget Buddie, the smoke weed mascot!:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 9, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Dave said the thing, so all that's left is to figure out the font size on the "lol lmao"

Probably around 72 by the way the vote totals are going. Just absolutely dumpstered.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1689062919848288258?t=GyTL6Xz0RBvwlCmroLX7BA&s=19

Get hosed, fascists.

Oh thank god

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Get hosed, fascists.

Ohio did a good!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ohio Issue 1 blown the gently caress out, becomes latest Ohio astronaut. :911:

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Milo and POTUS posted:

You just know he's gonna start 80s style rapping next appearance

My name's Frederick Douglas and I'm here to say
There were some benefits to slay-ver-ay
Free room, board
and on the job training*
Not to mention low rates of obe-sit-ay

Why was I cursed with this gift.

* This was actually argued but I forget where, I want to say I saw it in last months news chat

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CBJSprague24 posted:

I read this sentence several times but I don't comprehend it. Could such a thing exist?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I read this sentence several times but I don't comprehend it. Could such a thing exist?
It was some bullshit where there would be a very limited number of licenses for growing the only legal weed in the state, and they would be given to the most hated rich assholes.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

stealie72 posted:

It was some bullshit where there would be a very limited number of licenses for growing the only legal weed in the state, and they would be given to the most hated rich assholes.

Like 10. For the whole state

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Oregon: Hey there was this one gigantic weed company that bribed the Secretary of State and made their employees work 11+ hours a day while making them take thousands of dollars to make change to their personal bank.

Texas: Hold my weed thingie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/bigcory00/status/1688331638697345024

I don't want to spoil any of the best lines of dialogue, but :laffo:.

Also, he can't pardon himself if Georgia becomes a big enough thing to "LOCK HIM UP!" because it's a state thing.

This commentary had me crying laughing, sweating and just dying. Thanks I needed that