Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

vegetables posted:

I saw BvS for the first time this weekend (the long version) and thought “wow, this movie is fantastic, no wonder you guys are so frustrated all the time”

And it is frustrating to me too, now. Like with Lex Luthor, particularly: a lot of the criticism I’ve read of his portrayal doesn’t really engage with how Classic!Luthor couldn’t really work in the movie. Batman is already taking up the space where most of his motivation might be— if Lex and Bruce are too similar then it starts to warp the story. They have to be very different or the movie starts to become about that comparison. You can’t just start changing individual bits of a movie like that and expect the whole structure to hold.

To me the complaints about Zucker-Lex are extra frustrating because this isn't the first time he's been updated to reflect the times. When he was introduced in 1940 he was your average mad scientist. With the 80's reboot, he was re-imagined as a Wall Street tychoon businessman (a full year before Wall Street with Michael Douglas was released, btw), and here he's been updated as a Silicon Valley tech bro a la Zuckerburg. It's a great change and prescient, and it really annoys me when nerds whine about how he's "playing the riddler/joker" or whatever dumbass complaint they have.

Robot Style posted:

I mean, Kryptonite is radioactive growth from another planet. It makes a certain kind of fairy tale sense if his obsession with destroying Superman begins to corrupt him physically, starting with hair loss from Kryptonite exposure. I think a few versions of the character have actually gotten full-on cancer from it too.

The 80's wall street Lex from the comics very famously got cancer and put his brain into a buff clone with a thick full head of red hair and then started banging Supergirl (who was actually a shapeshifting goo from a pocket universe created by a parallel version of Lex to stop Zod from destroying their earth, the same Zod Superman later executed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Another thing about BvS Lex Luthor is that he, the squirrely tech innovator, was named after his dad, who, implicitly, was the big tough rear end in a top hat Lex who made his money off finance and heavy industry. Classic lantern-jawed '80s Luthor was basically canonical, he was just... from the 80s.

In this way, Lex mirrored Wayne as a hypothetical "so what if a bunch of DC comics characters were in fact real through the past several decades but Superman wasn't active yet?" The answer in Luthor's case was that he'd become massively rich and influential and then pass on a corporate empire to his extremely weird son.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 6, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Another thing about BvS Lex Luthor is that he, the squirrely tech innovator, was named after his dad, who, implicitly, was the big tough rear end in a top hat Lex who made his money off finance and heavy industry. Classic lantern-jawed '80s Luthor was basically canonical, he was just... from the 80s.

In this way, Lex mirrored Wayne as a hypothetical "so what if a bunch of DC comics characters were in fact real through the past several decades but Superman wasn't active yet?" The answer in Luthor's case was that he'd become massively rich and influential and then pass on a corporate empire to his extremely weird son.

He actually got murdered by lex jr, I think

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i don't remember the movie implying lex jr murdered his dad but they made it clear that Sr was very abusive to Jr

i rewatched the UE BvS and enjoyed it as always although a lot of the imagery and some of the setups were really contrived and boring. the crosses in front of a flaming inferno when superman died always earn a giant eyeroll.

i will say that i love cavill as superman but his angry/evil superman from the batman dream just didnt work. his expression is like he just smelled sour milk.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 6, 2023

Violator
May 15, 2003

MoS was too woke. Superman had two dads?!? Not my Superman.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Violator posted:

MoS was too woke. Superman had two dads?!? Not my Superman.

Just like Jesus!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ammanas posted:

i don't remember the movie implying lex jr murdered his dad but they made it clear that Sr was very abusive to Jr

i rewatched the UE BvS and enjoyed it as always although a lot of the imagery and some of the setups were really contrived and boring. the crosses in front of a flaming inferno when superman died always earn a giant eyeroll.

i will say that i love cavill as superman but his angry/evil superman from the batman dream just didnt work. his expression is like he just smelled sour milk.

The lex thing wasn't in the movie, it was heavily hinted at by Zack in some interview or social media.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

McCloud posted:

The lex thing wasn't in the movie, it was heavily hinted at by Zack in some interview or social media.

Lex outright rants about how no Superman saved him from his father's 'fists and abominations'.

...also guess what happens moments after Doomsday awakens.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lex outright rants about how no Superman saved him from his father's 'fists and abominations'.

...also guess what happens moments after Doomsday awakens.

This is probably one of the most undersung moments in BvS. Superman saving Lexs life from that Doomsday punch is such powerful and easy to miss imagery.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snyder exercises restraint during that scene. Any lesser director would've tried to humanize Lex in that fleeting moment by including some dramatic reaction shot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Superman: Hey, Lex, glad I could save you from some fists and abominations. Sorry I couldn't save you earlier.
*winks at camera*
Lex: *shocked gasp* wow, I've been wrong all along
Doomsday: *astonished gasp, visible awe at Superman's selflessness*
Old man in control room: If that pressure wave reaches us the water supply right across the whole city is gonna blow!
'No More Dead Cops' guy: NO MORE DEAD COPS.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
And then they all ate shawarma about it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snowman_McK posted:

Superman: Hey, Lex, glad I could save you from some fists and abominations. Sorry I couldn't save you earlier.
*winks at camera*
Old man in control room: If that pressure wave reaches us the water supply right across the whole city is gonna blow!

Lmao.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
good lord the NO MORE DEAD COPS line massively triggered me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ammanas posted:

It's memorable since Dark Knight is a drat well put together movie and the line is delivered by a guy who's clearly heard of movies and dialogue but has never seen either.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
the "no more dead cops" and "is that a bazooka?" guys are the glue that holds the film together.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
He was trying to say, "No! MORE dead cops!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

I loving love this guy. More movies need to stop dead in their tracks in the middle of their climax so an old guy an lecture us about mechanical pressure.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what movie was that from?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ammanas posted:

"Things are worse than ever!" is somehow the line that sticks with me.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
"ok that's not good!" should become the new Wilhelm scream

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aces High posted:

what movie was that from?

Batman Begins.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Name Change posted:

"Things are worse than ever!" is somehow the line that sticks with me.

It sounds like the guy had one take and the direction was “your life depends on it”.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

well why not posted:

It sounds like the guy had one take and the direction was “your life depends on it”.

Ok but now put your 9/11 faces on

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone ever written a comic where aliens show up to destroy Earth but land in Gotham then leave assuming someone was already doing it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mostly just remember the SMBC comic where Kryptonians were actually sending their kids out like Saiyans, and after some social changes come to pick up Superman expecting him to have conquered Earth, but are terrified to learn that he was already busy full time protecting it from all the other superpowered sociopaths on it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That's just Iron Giant though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone ever written a comic where aliens show up to destroy Earth but land in Gotham then leave assuming someone was already doing it

"Some bat like creature terrorizes this city nightly and crime only appears to be increasing, lock the space ship doors and let's get out of here" - the white martians

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mostly just remember the SMBC comic where Kryptonians were actually sending their kids out like Saiyans, and after some social changes come to pick up Superman expecting him to have conquered Earth, but are terrified to learn that he was already busy full time protecting it from all the other superpowered sociopaths on it.

So you're saying Invincible is actually an anime?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“You mess with one of us you mess with AAWL of us!”

Name that movie,hint superhero movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'eard he can disappear!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

"Some bat like creature terrorizes this city nightly and crime only appears to be increasing, lock the space ship doors and let's get out of here" - the white martians

Aliens come to invade Gotham, but the mob steals their ufo and now they're stranded in Crime Alley with psychotic clowns, mudmen, bat men, man bats, some dick who won't stop asking them questions, and some guy with a gun. How will they get home? Why does Earth's government allow this? Who can they vaporize in retaliation?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“You mess with one of us you mess with AAWL of us!”

Name that movie,hint superhero movie.

Brilliant follow-up in the sequel to that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Aliens come to invade Gotham, but the mob steals their ufo and now they're stranded in Crime Alley with psychotic clowns, mudmen, bat men, man bats, some dick who won't stop asking them questions, and some guy with a gun. How will they get home? Why does Earth's government allow this? Who can they vaporize in retaliation?

Joker and the Killer Klowns from Outer Space would be natural allies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And now I'm just picturing the aliens naturalising and Gotham now has little green made men in Little Reticuli.

ankitojha
May 20, 2023

teagone posted:

Snyder exercises restraint during that scene. Any lesser director would've tried to humanize Lex in that fleeting moment by including some dramatic reaction shot.

Oh there would be a full flashback that tries to force itself to be an antithesis to Bruce losing his parents, a la what happened to the Maxwell Lord situation in WW84.

Snowman_McK posted:

*winks at camera*

Ok I snort-laughed way more than my Dad would have liked when I read this.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Release the Ayer Cut
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1689743943599288320

Clearly yet another Man of Steel connection

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Original intent to do what, include an obscure 90's Chaos! Comics character called the Purple Skullet?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

Original intent to do what, include an obscure 90's Chaos! Comics character called the Purple Skullet?

I was thinking a Dark Souls hex build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ayer turning to AI to get his cut out