Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

After a lot of loving around I've managed to get my Alpinestars Tech Air 10 airbag suit working. It turned out the detachable indicator LED panel was defective and preventing the whole thing from working. Not very confidence inspiring but it's going through its checks properly and recording trips in the app so I guess it's OK.

quote:

Alpinestars is a manufacturer of clothing and protective gear for motorsports and action sports founded in 1963, and located in Asolo, Italy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well yes but the options for good airbag systems are both Italian so 🤷‍♂️

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know, A* are the best, it's more an indictment of every other country on earth

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The LED thing is weird. I too struggled with mine until I plugged it into the suit (my LEDs are sewn into the left arm), and then everything was fine. I'm guessing with mine it's so they can't be used without a Alpinestars suit, but weird it would cause problems still with the newest generations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

From what the Alpinestars support people said, in my case at least they think the display panel had got sufficiently discharged it wouldn't do anything at all. Having said that I believe it's supposed to function without the display and the suit itself was at 0% and wouldn't charge at all from what I could tell.

I ended up buying a replacement screen and it worked more or less straight away. The screen comes off and tucks in a little pocket in the suit which is nice.

I was late to work just now because it took so long putting all the gear on. Lol.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Stopped off at a scenic castle on the way home

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Sagebrush posted:

Today is washing out helmet padding day.

If you haven't done it before, do so (pop out the padding, fill up the sink with water and a bit of laundry soap, soak and squeeze) and prepare to be grossed out.

You posted this two months ago and it has haunted me the entire time like a little fly in my ear, and I've kept batting it away and putting on this helmet that feels like nasty overused sweaty rear end summer sheets, just clammy on the head, till this afternoon finally. The brown tells me I'm doing the right thing.

Otherwise I just wiped the top half of the Triumph down with Honda spray cleaner and polish after a nice long ride in perfect, absolutely perfect riding weather this morning.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got the top end back together on my kiddos JR50, it’s now bored out and Wiseco’d out and running good.

As always the CRF70 ran like a Swiss watch

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
What an immense pain in the rear end. Flushed the coolant today and based on what was in there being 50% rust by volume, I'm guessing that was another maintenance item that the prior owner never touched.

After this flush, front caliper rebuilds, pads and rotors, air filter, upcoming braided lines, clutch cable, and tires, I'm tempted to get a full set of replacement plastics as they don't look too expensive on partzilla and all the items for a complete rebuild are available. I'm missing a few square inches of plastic, one or two cracks, and a missing bolt or two in the fairings from a standstill drop by the PO.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Ordered some new oil filters since I just realized I've ridden more than the service interval (6000km) since late April when I last changed it. Good for me I guess.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A thought that I had today while tensioning my chain; Considering how long ago it was information of that kind was printed in owners' manuals for cars, I wonder when they'll stop printing instructions for basic service procedures in motorcycle manuals?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The instructions in my '22 KX250 cover quite a lot of maintenance items

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Took the Nighthawk on an ill-advised nightmare of an offroad trip into the O-Wi-Yu-Kuts mountains.

Started off pretty easy

It's been a wet year, and things are getting mad rutty

Not pictured is the 8% grade here. No kickstand because I'm stuck in a rut halfway to my axles, took a while to lever this out and get moving again.

Some context on this photo, I'm about 1/3 of the way down this mountain and I make it about 1/2 of the way until I start finding obstacles I can't do. There wasn't quite enough room to get turned around in any traditional way, but I got it eventually.

I'm about ten miles off of a long dirt road that's itself 30 miles off of anything close to well travelled, but I've got a Spot3 so I'm not completely screwed if I can't get my bike out. It still doesn't feel great thinking about the possibility though.

Afternoon rain's coming. It's been a wet year.

I'm halfway up another route and my rear tire starts slipping. You can see the grade's pretty severe and I don't have tread on these tires. The rain is softening up the clay that is everywhere in this part of Utah. The rock chock is there because everything keeps sliding. Cargo is off the bike so I can schlepp it up the canyon by hand.

The phone is color correcting this; this clay/dirt should be bright red. If you've been to Utah you know the stuff.

It's this point I realize I can barely climb this route, but there's no way I can descend without the front or rear sliding out on me. It's the only way out; I know because I tried the other two routes and couldn't make them. This idea definitely doesn't keep me up all night.

800km into this trip and I'm stopped 1km from my goal. This is spring-fed and won't dry up, and my feet sink to almost the top of my boots.

From here I unload the bike and carry my camp gear to a field just past the aspen forest.

Camping was good, no bugs, never saw another human being the last 30 miles of the trip.

Next day I got up and rode out, figuring out techniques as I went until I was through the impossible part. I haven't really done much off-road riding, but doing this taught me quick. Somehow I never dumped the bike, good thing because I was worried about fuel and didn't want to lose what was in the bowls.

10/10 would recommend, I'm never doing this one again.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 7, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A thought that I had today while tensioning my chain; Considering how long ago it was information of that kind was printed in owners' manuals for cars, I wonder when they'll stop printing instructions for basic service procedures in motorcycle manuals?

That's already been the case for several years, it just depends on the bike

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, ofc. :( Guess I've been lucky so far.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Pretty sure the manual for my 2007 multistrada directs me to the dealer for a chain adjustment.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There also doesn't seem to be an easy way to get a pdf of the workshop manual for recent ducatis.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I started investing why my vfr has poor cooling performance. The overheat warning triggered when stuck in traffic (it triggers at 122c) last weekend.

The fan on the lower radiator kicks in as it should at 105c, but it can't keep the temp down. The reserve tank was a minimum, and I suspect it has been low for a while. I topped that up.

Looking in the work manual actually getting to the radiator cap to bleed it or do a fluid change requires to remove all the front fairing pieces below the head light, So I doubt it has ever been done at all. It's fairly complicated so I assume any PO has shied away from it, and the fairing seems otherwise unmolested, ie no missing screws or studs as I've noted.

Further complicating it is that also not mirrored in design left and right, ie there is a different number of snap studs and bolts on the left and right cowl/ fairing of the same type.

Things to remove to get to the radiator cap
* Rear seat with key, front seat, 2 screws.
* Side covers, left + right. 2 screws each
* Under cowl left and right, 3-4 plastic fasteners, 2-3 screws.
* Radiator grille. 2 screws, 4 plastic fasteners,
* Inner lower panel left and right , 3-4 plastic fasteners, 2-3 screws
* Middle cowl left and right

I assume the radiator is packed with sand. Its right behind the front wheel where I found that instant beach feature. I can get to it from the air holes in the under cowl(same place i could see if the fan was spinning). so ill hit it from the rear with water and air.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 16, 2023

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm looking to bring 12V into my top casey anyone know of a nice waterproof connector that is panel mount on one side and a nice, sealable connector on the other? I'm thinking panel mount on the Givi, short pigtail with connector coming from under the seat, just tuck it under if not in use.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I'm looking to bring 12V into my top casey anyone know of a nice waterproof connector that is panel mount on one side and a nice, sealable connector on the other? I'm thinking panel mount on the Givi, short pigtail with connector coming from under the seat, just tuck it under if not in use.

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail...4hoCaZoQAvD_BwE

Lol, and also lmao.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that a female to female pass through? :raise:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SEKCobra posted:

google "12v bulkhead connector" and go to town, there are plenty out there with SAE connectors as it's popular for use with solar charging setups

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is that a female to female pass through? :raise:

You can get male ones! (sold separately)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I guess I'm getting my first Deutsch connectors as they also have 90° attachments.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Installed the Givi rack (the good one that won't snap your subframe) and a V47 top case. Still need to wire up the LEDs to my brake lights.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I've got that same case and honestly wish I'd gone bigger. I went full dad and put the wire rack on top of it to strap even more crap to it which helps. Gonna go full 60 liter square box the next time I need a top case. All that said its a really nice piece of luggage and has stood up to years of overloading and other abuse and is still going strong

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Arson Daily posted:

I've got that same case and honestly wish I'd gone bigger. I went full dad and put the wire rack on top of it to strap even more crap to it which helps. Gonna go full 60 liter square box the next time I need a top case. All that said its a really nice piece of luggage and has stood up to years of overloading and other abuse and is still going strong

Givi has the v56 top box, it’s been fantastic on my ST1300. I’m far too tempted to overload it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

I guess I'm getting my first Deutsch connectors as they also have 90° attachments.

I just realized I don't actually know if you need one of the purpose-built crimpers for Deutsch pins/sockets, or if any old crimp tool will do?

Otherwise they're fantastic

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I'm super happy with my Shad 58x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ZiGZY6Lvs

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Phy posted:

I just realized I don't actually know if you need one of the purpose-built crimpers for Deutsch pins/sockets, or if any old crimp tool will do?

Otherwise they're fantastic

There are two types of pins, one needs a circular crimper (and I don't know if a ferule one would work) and there's the classic 4 tab stamped type.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I replaced the Oxford Evo heated grip that failed sometime mid July at an inopportune moment. The vendor I bought it from sent me a replacement grip with no hassle so that's well and good, but I'm a bit wary about this newfangled fancy thermistor control. Bro also had a grip fail recently, same model, likely the same fault. If this happens again I'll probably downgrade to a simpler model - I'd rather have dumb hot grips that need the heat setting adjusted often but can be relied upon to work.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Blew a piston on my Yamaha last night.

No picture of the carnage yet but it lost power while at high RPM and engine load and one cylinder has no compression.

Luckily it appears that pistons are readily available despite the limited production years. It was the left cylinder so perhaps the left had crank seal went and it leaned out.

So plan will be to tear the engine down redo the crank seals and case gaskets and then do a top end with two new pistons and rings.

While I’m in there might ditch the points and get some electronic ignition.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I got the Grip Puppies in the mail today so I installed them.

Here you see the main reason, the left grip is really worn. (Yes, I washed the bike afterwards)

The throttle grip is not that bad, but you can see where the cramp buster has slid a bit.

I had to trim off a little before mounting them with some water and soap.

I could also use the bigger cramp buster/throttle helper, it has a bigger surface vs the hand and is more comfortable than the tighter diameter one on the left.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Help, I bought a keyring and a piece of titanium attached its self to my bike

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Swapped an OEM 12v accessory outlet for an OEM USB accessory outlet :effort:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Successfully operated my GoPro on the ride out and on the ride home again!

Did NOT wash it after dinner today because it's loving hot and gross out lol

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
weird old high mile bike issues volume 37,219,102

Carbs running slightly off. Response and transition is a little wonky.
Intermittent stumbling and backfiring between 4500-5500 rpm or when hitting terrain features.
Hitting the killswitch reproduces the effect. Most of the interlocks are gone but the wacky control system is still there with relays and diodes. I'll start there.

Zoom, Enhance, Simplify.

Follow the pink wire to 2/9. For that is the ecm enable pin. Pull the line high to disable the ecm. Pull it low to enable.

Probing around, moving the harness, etc, doesn't reproduce the issue. Relay engagement is consistent.
However. Brushing against the kill switch did. These are pretty standard switchgear found on most every 2000ish to 2015ish bike. First one I've seen go faulty.

While it's apart, found dry rotted blanking plugs on the diaphragm caps. Printed a new plug.
Pulled the switch apart. extended the spring a little bit and removed the travel limiter on the contacts.

Didn't get pics of the contact side unfortunately. One of the three contacts was approaching half worn off.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

helno posted:

Blew a piston on my Yamaha last night.

No picture of the carnage yet but it lost power while at high RPM and engine load and one cylinder has no compression.

Confirmed.

Bits of the spring fell out of the left hand dust seal so I imagine the real crank seal is hosed as well. Not unexpected since this bike sat in a shed since the mid 80's.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

helno posted:

Confirmed.

Bits of the spring fell out of the left hand dust seal so I imagine the real crank seal is hosed as well. Not unexpected since this bike sat in a shed since the mid 80's.

Is that a lean condition hole? (Meaning, the crank seal drying out is what caused this?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is textbook lean running turning the spark plug into a gas torch yeah