Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner, and Gladiator are all masterpieces so I can forgive all the crap he's made. Last Duel was great but his coping over it bombing was dumb as hell. It probably wouldn't have broke even before the pandemic.

Gladiator is so good, it's one of my all time favorites but I feel like it gets a lot of hate on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

Gladiator is so good, it's one of my all time favorites but I feel like it gets a lot of hate on the internet

an old epic bacon roommate ruined it for me by quoting the father to a murdered son speech from memory all the time

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i say swears online posted:

an old epic bacon roommate ruined it for me by quoting the father to a murdered son speech from memory all the time

Ah you mean the scene where he says my name is maximus decimus meridius commander of the legions of the north father to a murdered son husband to a murdered wife and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that's the one

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner, and Gladiator are all masterpieces so I can forgive all the crap he's made. Last Duel was great but his coping over it bombing was dumb as hell. It probably wouldn't have broke even before the pandemic.

the coping was a dumb podcast thing he did with Marc Maron and was not like a media spectacle. of course buzzfeed/vox/vice/goons writers are full of the dumbest people who woefully misread anything to generate clickbait for other dumb buzzfeed/vox/vice/goon readers

it was like a 5 second clip from an 1 hour podcast and just him mindlessly broadstroke rambling about facebook, not really bomb coping or anything

every time theres an article about a director saying some poo poo like that you read the actual interview and it turns out that they didnt say it at all

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Xaris posted:

the coping was a dumb podcast thing he did with Marc Maron and was not like a media spectacle. of course buzzfeed/vox/vice/goons writers are full of the dumbest people who woefully misread anything to generate clickbait for other dumb buzzfeed/vox/vice/goon readers

it was like a 5 second clip from an 1 hour podcast and just him mindlessly broadstroke rambling about facebook, not really bomb coping or anything

every time theres an article about a director saying some poo poo like that you read the actual interview and it turns out that they didnt say it at all

Marc usually does a good job trying to coax it out of them, though. That's why I kind of liked the William Friedkin interview. I'm paraphrasing based on memory but Marc was basically like "Don't you think movies are missing something nowadays?"

And Friedkin was like, "Nah, not really, they're just different."

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I love this poo poo so much

https://twitter.com/john_letour/status/1688623167097462784

like the irl version of McKellen on Extras

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Ridley Scott been dropping box office bombs for decades now, there's no way he's actually all that upset. Probably just trying to make a joke while being a grandpa, w/e

I just hope Napoleon isn't boring

Edit: drat, rip Friedkin, truly king goat

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Gonna finally watch The Duellists tonight I guess.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

yeah this rules

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm hype for Napoleon.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now that I know they're cramming his entire life into 3 hours I'm less excited for three-minute vignettes of Egypt and Russia

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Alien covenant owns

It's two good but different movies stapled together and then a third 20 minute alien fanfilm at the end

The whole sequence where they land and everything goes completely to poo poo and keeps escalating is really great and so is Dracula robofassbender hamming it up and falling in love with Asimov robofassbender

I want a sequel to the David trilogy.
I like the whole thing of crazy Christians finding out intelligent design is real but our creators wanna kill us and meanwhile we've also created our own life and he's batshit crazy cause he was raised by a billionaire

Tho didn't he get cancelled?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Fassbender is a repeated woman beater who blew out his ex-girlfriend's knee when he dragged some distance with his car but he's been laying low for a few years so it looks like he'll probably be making a clean comeback soon

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Ridley Scott is looking back and opening up about not being able to direct the Blade Runner sequel. The filmmaker had been announced by Alcon Entertainment back in 2011 to helm the follow-up to his 1982 film that starred Harrison Ford.

However, Scott had to step down from director duties following a scheduling clash and Denis Villeneuve stepped up to direct Blade Runner 2049.

“I shouldn’t have had to make that decision,” he told Empire magazine recently. “But I had to. I should have done Blade Runner 2.”

The director is returning to the dystopian future in the Amazon Studios series Blade Runner 2099.

“I’m one of the producers,” he adds. “It’s all set years on. To me, it circles the idea of Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World.”

Of course, the original film also had literary origins. It was based on Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Amazon picked up the series in February of this year with Scott attached as an executive producer. Silka Luisa is writing and exec producing the series coming from Alcon Entertainment in association with Scott Free Productions and Amazon Studios. Jeremy Podeswa joined the sequel series as the pilot director, producing director and exec producer.

Scott had been teasing a follow-up to the Blade Runner franchise for years, telling Digital Spy in 2018, “I think there is another story. I’ve got another one ready to evolve and be developed, so there is certainly one to be done for sure.”

In 2021 he told the BBC a pilot and a bible for Blade Runner had been made adding, “We’re already presenting Blade Runner as a TV show, the first 10 hours.”

Filming for Blade Runner 2099 has reportedly been pushed until Spring 2024 due to the writers strike and actors strike.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

God Hole posted:

Fassbender is a repeated woman beater who blew out his ex-girlfriend's knee when he dragged some distance with his car but he's been laying low for a few years so it looks like he'll probably be making a clean comeback soon
Jesus. What a shame. I liked him in everything he's been in

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Coaaab posted:

“I shouldn’t have had to make that decision,” he told Empire magazine recently. “But I had to. I should have done Blade Runner 2.”

I get the impression that Scott came away pretty unhappy with BR2

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

God Hole posted:

his stated reason for not working as much lately is b/c he had a kid with alicia vikander and has been doing auto racing stuff

didn't know about his abuse history, that's really fuckin lovely

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Haven't listened to Maron in years and holy poo poo is the Friedkin interview good. He's very inspiring, with a ton of old guy energy and outdated takes like the cops in French Connection era Chicago were at times faking racism to survive, and despite this comes across as intelligent and likable. The way he says the word 'Blue-Ray' is extremely pleasing, just go listen to it. Going to go watch Bug which I've never seen, might rewatch Killer Joe which I did not realize at the time had helped McConaughey escape from romcoms.

Also definitely did not expect Nolte to be writing novels about his characters. Someone plz share more Friedkin content, I could listen to him talk about anything.

gently caress Fassbender, feels weird to admit that learning additional context with this car poo poo makes him easier to dislike.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Aug 8, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

webcams for christ posted:

This guy rules, how have I never heard him talk before?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

PriorMarcus posted:

Maybe he should've done it right the first time

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Haven't listened to Maron in years and holy poo poo is the Friedkin interview good. He's very inspiring, with a ton of old guy energy and outdated takes like the cops in French Connection era Chicago were at times faking racism to survive, and despite this comes across as intelligent and likable. The way he says the word 'Blue-Ray' is extremely pleasing, just go listen to it. Going to go watch Bug which I've never seen, might rewatch Killer Joe which I did not realize at the time had helped McConaughey escape from romcoms.

Also definitely did not expect Nolte to be writing novels about his characters. Someone plz share more Friedkin content, I could listen to him talk about anything.

gently caress Fassbender, feels weird to admit that learning additional context with this car poo poo makes him easier to dislike.

His story about how he came up with the idea for Cruising is pretty wild, too. Most of Maron's Director interviews are pretty good. Tarantino is a really good one. It's interesting to hear how Directors think about films and how they came into making films and all that. To me, becoming a director seems as improbable as becoming an astronaut.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

God Hole posted:

he got married had a kid and did some car racing too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip0A88CyCIo

also covid happened

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1688701137505935361?t=7GqS_f7y8YtPg8JLddRL0A&s=19

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

drat, I'm gunna get his memoir

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

God Hole posted:

Well gently caress him then, David is an android just recast him as someone else and do prometheus 3 like only me and ridley Scott want

Maybe call this one Bladerunner: Descent or something

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I like Prometheus and thought Fassbender was the best part of the 2nd one.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1689035861663653888

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PriorMarcus posted:

really?

i like scott but br2049 would have not been nearly as good if he directed it. Villenueve was basically perfect and it's a top 10 movie of all time for me. just fantastic movie and great for a nice latenight hella stoned saturday 2am flick to watch.

dune was also good, objectively by contemporary hollywoo AAA movie slop standards, but i honestly felt Villenueve shoulda done a bit better. i think it was a big step back from br2049.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

my sister... my captain.... my queen 👸

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
I almost forgot about how much Once Upon a time really hammered home just how much Tarantino loves feet.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i don't like either blade runner except for visually

and the fact that Burroughs wrote a draft

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The first Blade Runner is an absolutely amazing film but it is a hard rewatch for me. For one, the sexual assault just ain't good and the dialogue is very, I don't know - theatrical? unnatural? All the film making aspects are incredible though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

starkebn posted:

The first Blade Runner is an absolutely amazing film but it is a hard rewatch for me. For one, the sexual assault just ain't good and the dialogue is very, I don't know - theatrical? unnatural? All the film making aspects are incredible though.
yeah the sexual assault scene is really rough on rewatch these days. i guess you could say thats typical 80s poo poo, even stuff like Thief has some pretty cringe.

the dialogue is indeed a little strange but i also think that's part of it's charm. it's kinda like Drive and Refn stuff. but yeah it looks really good and it's such a wonderful slow burning night-time experience to watch. BR2049 is much better imo.

i think it's perfectly fine to have movies that standout on the technicals, like we were just talking about star wars and the technicals are really so incredible it overshadows any other deficiencies. like anh is kind a dumb movie but it does not matter at all because the fim making is such an incredible treat.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:17 on Aug 9, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I really like all the gosling stuff in br2069 but I thought it kinda fell off a cliff as soon as Harrison Ford shows up in his pyjamas

It's a bit like Alien Covenant where there's a fanfilm stuck to the end but unlike covenant it supercedes the whole plot of the film at the end and is like an hour long rather than 20 mins.
Cyberjared was fun though

Didn't really like DUNC at all, very boring version of that story with everything interesting about it removed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is there any Chinese authors in the Philip K Dick/Staislaw Lem (psychological/epistemological) or Strugatsky Bros/Octavia Butler (sinister power/unknowable other) veins? or like a Ted Chiang? there must be some incredible sci fi being produced but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't being promoted to Anglo readers or translated at all. Three Body Problem is fine but very ordinary (and insanely pessimistic)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

[jay leno completely out of touch with current events]

hey kev, ya hear about this? the writers strike is still going on after an unprecedented three months.... it's getting so bad out there that justin roiland is having to go to public schools to pick up underaged girls

[kev] haha haah that's too much jay

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Been watching Strange New Worlds and holy poo poo this show is good. I had low expectations going in but they knocked it out of the park. The finest Trek I've seen in years, and probably pound for pound will be the best series of them all. All killer no filler, but I've only just started S2.

indigi posted:

is there any Chinese authors in the Philip K Dick/Staislaw Lem (psychological/epistemological) or Strugatsky Bros/Octavia Butler (sinister power/unknowable other) veins? or like a Ted Chiang? there must be some incredible sci fi being produced but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't being promoted to Anglo readers or translated at all. Three Body Problem is fine but very ordinary (and insanely pessimistic)

Yeah, I'm fairly cynical myself but I still found it hard to believe two escaping human ships would immediately just start firing on each other as soon as they learned what game theory was.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Been watching Strange New Worlds and holy poo poo this show is good. I had low expectations going in but they knocked it out of the park. The finest Trek I've seen in years, and probably pound for pound will be the best series of them all. All killer no filler, but I've only just started S2.

there’s a musical episode and it’s not that great but it has a pretty good joke towards the end.

blade runner is worth it fro the Roy batty death speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hollywood’s love affair with China has been well documented. But Hollywood actors’ love affair with China has not.

In recent years, American actors including Michael Douglas, Michael Pitt, Frank Grillo (who played a starring role in "Wolf Warrior 2," the highest-grossing Chinese film in history), Bruce Willis, and Adrien Brody have all contributed to the pro-China narrative.

Of course, one cannot discuss actors and pro-China narratives without discussing John Cena, a man who had the audacity to call Taiwan a country. For that “faux pas,” he apologized to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP). Profusely. In fluent Mandarin. There are apologies, and then there are apologies. Cena’s performance was Oscar-worthy.

Thankfully, there's one actor who’s not interested in apologizing to the CCP. That man is Keanu Reeves. When it comes to China, unlike the above-mentioned actors, "The Matrix" star has clearly chosen the red pill over the blue.

Born in Beirut, Reeves, 57, isn't just an accomplished actor. He also happens to be an accomplished musician. On March 3, he will perform at the 35th annual Tibet House U.S. Benefit Concert, alongside the likes of Patti Smith, Trey Anastasio, and Jason Isbell.

Founded at the request of the Dalai Lama in 1987, Tibet House is a New York-based educational nonprofit committed to the preservation and protection of Tibet's ancient traditions of philosophy, art, and culture.

As I've shown before, the CCP is interested in Tibet for one very specific reason—its natural resources. The Tibetan plateau, home to more than 46,000 glaciers, has one of the largest reserves of fresh water in the world. Known as the “water tower” of Asia, close to a quarter of a billion people in 10 different countries across Asia—Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Laos, Burma (Myanmar), Nepal, Pakistan, Thailand, and Vietnam—rely on this “tower” for water. Make no mistake about it, the CCP wants to control the continent’s water supply, hence its obsession with controlling Tibet.

The people of Tibet are desperate. While most of the world sits idly by, Reeves, to his credit, is prepared to take a stand. Not surprisingly, the Chinese are far from happy.

As The Hollywood Reporter recently reported, the actor has “incurred the wrath” of millions of Chinese nationalists. The “Little Pinks,” a group of young, hyper-aggressive, overly jingoistic digital warriors are now suggesting that Reeves, and all of his future work, should be banned from China. The movie star is fast becoming a “de facto persona non grata in the Chinese entertainment landscape”—which makes his willingness to defend Tibet all the more impressive.

Worth somewhere in the region of $380 million, Reeves doesn’t need to perform. He doesn't need to do anything. But he has offered to. And that’s something worth celebrating.

After all, it's been a long time since a genuine Hollywood heavyweight stood up to China. In fact, it has been the best part of 30 years.

In 1993, Richard Gere, then one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, made headlines around the world–especially in China. At the Oscars, Gere took the stage to present the award for best art director. Before announcing the winner, however, Gere, a practicing Buddhist and long-time friend of the Dalai Lama, went totally off script, criticizing the CCP’s occupation of Tibet as well as its "horrendous, horrendous human rights situation." For telling the truth, Gere was punished severely. The committee chose to ban him from future Oscars, a ban that still exists to this day.

It's clear to see that Gere has paid a heavy price for his honesty. In 2017, the actor told The Hollywood Reporter that there were (and still are) “movies that I can’t be in because the Chinese will say, ‘Not with him.’” He said, “I recently had an episode where someone said they could not finance a film with me because it would upset the Chinese.”

A year before this rather depressing interview, the musician Lady Gaga, a formidable actor in her own right, met with the Dalai Lama. Because of this, she finds herself in a similar boat to Mr. Gere. The artist is now banned from touring or selling merchandise in China.
Which brings us back to Mr. Reeves. Why take a stand? Why jeopardize his acting career?

When it comes to movies, the Chinese market, lest we forget, is by far the biggest in the world. For Reeves, there appears to be more important things than money. In 2019, The New Yorker published an interesting piece titled “Keanu Reeves Is Too Good for This World.” After reading the piece, it’s difficult not to agree. He certainly appears to be too good for Hollywood, a place full of moral grandstanding and superficial concerns.

While many actors pretend to stand for something, Reeves actually does. For this, he deserves a great deal of credit.