Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

There's a chubbyemu video about a guy who almost died like this, and got brain damage. Bitcoin mining: Not Even Once

https://youtu.be/fr8bp8a2QS4

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://stackdiary.com/zoom-terms-now-allow-training-ai-on-user-content-with-no-opt-out/

Zoom is now training AI on user data and there's no option to opt out

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄  ̄)づ♥(∀●)

StrangersInTheNight posted:

There's a chubbyemu video about a guy who almost died like this, and got brain damage. Bitcoin mining: Not Even Once

https://youtu.be/fr8bp8a2QS4

poo poo this summer the heat's been defeating my swamp cooler pretty well on the ground floor of my apartment, and the computer room is the hottest room in the house without a computer. Even a sub-1000w system with a 2060 is making the room close to unlivable for anyone except the cat on certain days. Giving yourself heatstroke to generate fake money is just :pwn:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Outrail posted:

It's 2023 nobody cares if you read hentai on the bus

You wrap the book so nobody can tell that you aren't.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

is pepsi ok posted:

"Yes! I finally found the image I was looking for. Oh wait it's a loving Pintrist link, nevermind."

And there goes my PTSD.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co, the vultures that bought Toys R Us, saddled it with the debt of its own purchase and drove it out of existence are purchasing Simon & Schuster publishing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

CaptainCrunch posted:

Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co, the vultures that bought Toys R Us, saddled it with the debt of its own purchase and drove it out of existence are purchasing Simon & Schuster publishing.

:negative:

For the unfamiliar: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/07/toys-r-us-bankruptcy-private-equity/561758/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Capitalism is so efficient that it spawns entities that go around intentionally crashing viable businesses so it can feed on the corpse, all perfectly legal of course.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

what a stupid loving world weve built for ourselves

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I still can't believe how quickly these private equity firms can gut a company.

quote:

In 2022, Prophet Brand Relevance Index ranked Instant Pot No.6 in the "Top 10 Brands in the U.S.".

quote:

In April 2019 Instant Pot merged with Corelle Brands, owned by a private equity firm Cornell Capital...

quote:

On June 12, 2023, Instant Brands filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy after high interest rates and waning access to credit hit its cash position and made its debts unsustainable.

The most popular kitchen appliance of the decade yet somehow not profitable enough.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Its a great system

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Its simple, make money until your popularity wanes. Then sic the lampreys on your corporate corpse until there's nothing left but bone fragments (retail shareholders)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Private Equity is one of the worst things that can happen to a business.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cerekk posted:

Please tell me where to find the grocery store where the cashiers aren't required to pretend they care how my day is going, so that I can shop there.

Village Foods in Hyde Park Chicago. Sassy black ladies with face tattoos gossiping among themselves and laughing while checking you out as you cracked up at their jokes. And Marvin Gaye was blasting on the speakers. The food itself was garbage but it was the best grocery store ever.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Its simple, make money until your popularity wanes. Then sic the lampreys on your corporate corpse until there's nothing left but bone fragments (retail shareholders)

Hey, shut your pie about lampreys, they are valuable scavengers and don't even have jaws, and aren't all greasy like the hagfish!

Shittier Thing: no rain, no monsoon at all. I remember as a kid years ago, the summer half bright as gently caress and then the sky would blacken, and it would rain for hours. But thanks to climate change, we're on a month of temps well over average and no rain at all. loving cactus are dropping dead.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
There are less and less monarch butterflies every year for their migration. One day I fear there'll be a year where there's none. And the world would be shittier.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hey, shut your pie about lampreys, they are valuable scavengers and don't even have jaws, and aren't all greasy like the hagfish!

Shittier Thing: no rain, no monsoon at all. I remember as a kid years ago, the summer half bright as gently caress and then the sky would blacken, and it would rain for hours. But thanks to climate change, we're on a month of temps well over average and no rain at all. loving cactus are dropping dead.

I'm sorry about your lack of rain. Here we've gotten so much extra rain everything is mud and wet and I've never seen it so wet in over 10 years. Wish I could send you some extra wetness.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Suspect A posted:

There are less and less monarch butterflies every year for their migration. One day I fear there'll be a year where there's none. And the world would be shittier.

Fireflies, too, though not migrating. I remember fireflies showing up in May and sticking around until August, or something like that. Basically all summer. Now we're lucky to see them for a few nights in June.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Monarchs and fireflies were both everywhere all summer when I was a kid. I haven't seen a single one in at least 10 years.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dip Viscous posted:

Monarchs and fireflies were both everywhere all summer when I was a kid. I haven't seen a single one in at least 10 years.

hvae you checked outside

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

anonumos posted:

Fireflies, too, though not migrating. I remember fireflies showing up in May and sticking around until August, or something like that. Basically all summer. Now we're lucky to see them for a few nights in June.

Now that you mention it, my lightning bugs have all been gone since June.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well goons, you're not going totally demented or wearing rose tinted glasses about insects, some studies peg the loss of insect biomass in the last 30 years as about 75%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_in_insect_populations There's wiggle room as to how much decline there is, but ultimately it's a loving lot. Most people don't care because bugs are gross, but they are kind of important for the planet.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Earwigs loving thriving though. No justice in the world.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

aniviron posted:

Well goons, you're not going totally demented or wearing rose tinted glasses about insects, some studies peg the loss of insect biomass in the last 30 years as about 75%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_in_insect_populations There's wiggle room as to how much decline there is, but ultimately it's a loving lot. Most people don't care because bugs are gross, but they are kind of important for the planet.

did the bug freak obsessed scientists look outside?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I can't emphasize this enough: the majority of bugs live outside

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I love that we murdered the planet for Q3 profits.

I love knowing it will only get worse, year after year, until I die because some six sigma rear end in a top hat wanted a third mansion.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
gently caress it, start handing out more fiddles while it all burns

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

gently caress it, start handing out more fiddles while it all burns

*Tunes fiddle

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

how will the fiddle manufacturer afford a small island if they just give their product away

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Volcott posted:

I love that we murdered the planet for Q3 profits.

I love knowing it will only get worse, year after year, until I die because some six sigma rear end in a top hat wanted a third mansion.

The free market will fix this

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

this been said before but it's infuriating how youtube recommends rightwing/fascist bullshit no matter how often you block the channels and try in vain to coach the algorithm. just a loving joke

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How the gently caress do you even try to sleep when your room is 110? I recently lost air conditioning for almost two weeks and the temperature inside my house reached 90, I had to sleep on the couch under the living room fan because my room was intolerable, and trying to use my desktop (with only one GPU) was absolute torture.

Buce posted:

this been said before but it's infuriating how youtube recommends rightwing/fascist bullshit no matter how often you block the channels and try in vain to coach the algorithm. just a loving joke

I haven't seen any overtly fashy content in years, the closest I've gotten was a sci-fi analysis channel run by a '90s style libertarian who wasn't even all that interested in converting people to smol gubmint and goldbuggery, and a few sketchy Linux/FOSS channels. It's certainly nothing like 2015-2018 when I was bombarded with recs for alt-right videos. Most of the political content I get recommended is from queer channels like Caelan Conrad, Jessie Gender, Sophie from Mars, etc.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 8, 2023

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Woolie Wool posted:

How the gently caress do you even try to sleep when your room is 110? I recently lost air conditioning for almost two weeks and the temperature inside my house reached 90, I had to sleep on the couch under the living room fan because my room was intolerable, and trying to use my desktop (with only one GPU) was absolute torture.

we've already established that they have brain damage

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Thought his brain herniated after he turned his room into a toaster oven and baked himself.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Woolie Wool posted:

Thought his brain herniated after he turned his room into a toaster oven and baked himself.

It's early bitcoin. He was already brain damaged...

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
youtube never recommends me anything but music videos because that's all i watch on it

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Hammerite posted:

youtube never recommends me anything but music videos because that's all i watch on it

Right-wing music videos?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

anonumos posted:

Right-wing music videos?

Should never had watched Tomorrow Belongs to Me from Cabaret.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I don't own a Ford but I saw them advertising the FordPass app which seems to have moved features like remote unlock and remote start to your phone (presumably to make it a monthly subscription feature). It takes all your driving and personal data and in exchange you get exciting FordPass reward points which it helpfully suggests you can redeem for badges to give you bragging rights over your friends.

You can, however, hand your digital key to anyone else with the FordPass app to unlock and start your car which seems like the most insane security vulnerability imaginable but cool I guess that's somehow better than just lending my friends my car keys on the incredibly rare occasion someone else drives my car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol I saw a commercial for the text keys and that is some Elon Musk dumb car idea poo poo