Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That episode late in season 4 is the only skippable one, where Buffy and Riley are stuck boning in the ghost house. Even then it's been so long that maybe I'd watch it just to see if there's something good I've forgotten about it.

Edit: gently caress that list is loving wild, yeah don't even look at that shite. loving hell it gets worse, they recommend skipping New Man and Fear Itself.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

For real. That list sucks. There are no episodes of either show worth skipping. Even the bad ones are good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LividLiquid posted:

For real. That list sucks. There are no episodes of either show worth skipping. Even the bad ones are good.

It's good for order of skipping between buffy and angel, but yeah, there's very few eps that aren't worth watching

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Everyone posted:

Joss Whedon is a lovely human being, but he was a pretty good writer/director/show-runner when it came to these shows. The crap to decent to gold ratio is pretty weighted toward decent and gold. Even something dumb like "Beer Bad" is at least somewhat entertaining.

The platinum standard for "good show" to me is still Elementary. I can't think of a bad episode. There's episodes of Elementary that I thought were better than others, but I don't recall any that made me go "WTF Elementary? This sucks!"

BtVS and Angel had a few clunkers (the hyena episode for Buffy) but not that many.

The AI episode where the mystery kinda sucks and the show spends like half the runtime dwelling on a fundamental misunderstanding of the Turing test is the only Elementary ep I consistently skip I think.

For Buffy I skip the praying mantis teacher ep and hyena ep in the first season.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

That episode late in season 4 is the only skippable one, where Buffy and Riley are stuck boning in the ghost house. Even then it's been so long that maybe I'd watch it just to see if there's something good I've forgotten about it.

Edit: gently caress that list is loving wild, yeah don't even look at that shite. loving hell it gets worse, they recommend skipping New Man and Fear Itself.

That's the episode Giles sings Behind Blue Eyes in. Unskippable.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LividLiquid posted:

Don't skip anything?

Skip lists are up there with listening to podcasts at 1.5x speed as a marker of a genuine psychopath. Unless it's an episodic thing like The Twilight Zone where each episode has a completely different cast and story, just watch the drat thing! And if it's not worth watching, what are you doing in the first place?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In my memory the entire final two seasons of Buffy are skippable.

Whatever folks think of Angel Season 5, I guarantee AtS went out on a much, much stronger note than BtVS did.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

NikkolasKing posted:

In my memory the entire final two seasons of Buffy are skippable.
They're definitely not as strong as the WB set. Likely because it compounded the shift into Adult Life Sucks and the villain selection wasn't as focused or cool.

The last season is ok.

The first season is finding its legs and very episodic so it feels very skippable. I'd really just skip like Doublemeat Palace, the Beer episode, and maybe Hyenakids.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Even the weird, one-off episodes that seem dumb in hindsight or pure fluff have their high points to rewatch. For example, we got to the episode with MOO and the Hansel & Gretel demon and I thought it was pointless before, but it has funny moments, like Buffy going, "Did I get it? Did I get it?" and Amy turning into a rat.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Go Fish is absolutely vile and no one can convince me others.

Remember when Buffy almost got gangraped to death by fishmen, but then instead they do that to their coach and Xander makes a joke about it?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Remember when Buffy almost got gangraped to death by fishmen, but then instead they do that to their coach and Xander makes a joke about it?

Isn't that the one with Wentworth Miller? They used him in the opening up until S3 and I have no idea why. But every time I see him, I laugh and go, "There goes the guy from Prison Break and The Flash."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

There's also its placement. S2 has possibly the most solid final run of episodes building up to the best season finale. And in the middle of all this great drama was this subpar MOTW ep. It ruined the flow and for that reason alone is entirely skippable, IMO.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

They're definitely not as strong as the WB set. Likely because it compounded the shift into Adult Life Sucks and the villain selection wasn't as focused or cool.

The last season is ok.

The first season is finding its legs and very episodic so it feels very skippable. I'd really just skip like Doublemeat Palace, the Beer episode, and maybe Hyenakids.

I've met some people in the fandom who hardcore stan Season 6. I dunno, I'm almost done with S5. Maybe adult me will like S6 more than teenage me did. Seems unlikely given I dislike Spuffy and the season utterly torpedoes my favorite ship in Tillow but you never know.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Rochallor posted:

Skip lists are up there with listening to podcasts at 1.5x speed as a marker of a genuine psychopath.

Don't call me out.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

thebardyspoon posted:

The one where Buffy and Riley are stuck boning has the line where the conservative old lady says "I smell sin on all of you" and Xander says "let me tell you about sin, she who smelt it dealt it" and that made me and my brother laugh so hard back in the day, so don't skip it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Doublemeat Palace is one of my favourite episodes of the show.

"DOUBLEMEAT IS PEOPLE! DOUBLEMEAT IS PEOPLE!"
"Even the cherry pies!?"

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Doublemeat Palace is one of my favourite episodes of the show.

"DOUBLEMEAT IS PEOPLE! DOUBLEMEAT IS PEOPLE!"
"Even the cherry pies!?"

Not to mention the monster design is SICK. It completely cribs off Aliens, but I love it anyway.

In fact, a lot of the monster design in most of the episodes is really detailed and I love the usage of practical effects and makeup to make something look out of this world. Optic Nerve Studios was really really good at their jobs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just finished "Forever."

"The Body" itself was an episode I always skipped. It was far, far too close to home for a young er me. It still hurt like hell this time but it wasn't representing a real fear any longer since the person I was afraid of losing has been gone for a while now. That ending vampire fight was very strange and I have no idea why it was included.

Speaking of Buffy/Angel episodes and watching them together, it was a great touch to have Angel come back in Forever, even for just a little while. In my time in teh Buff fandom this last year I've met at least a few newcomers who really bemoan Buffy and Angel splitting after S3. But stuff like this always struck me as proof positive they never really moved on from one another. If Buffy hadn't stopped it, they would have gotten together again right then and there.

I didn't talk about "Blood Ties" much apart from to comment on Glory's fight, but that episode was fantastic, too. Dawn is such an integral addition to the cast and why S5 is so good. Without her, it would be noticeably worse. In that ep and just now in Forever, she hits it out of the park. And of course her relationship with Buffy was probably the best path Buffy's character could go. I've never read the quote myself but I once heard Whedon said he killed Tara because he couldn't think of where else to take Willow's character. If true, that's very stupid. Dawn shows an actual good way to help move along a character.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nevermind

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 7, 2023

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never read the quote myself but I once heard Whedon said he killed Tara because he couldn't think of where else to take Willow's character.

Make Tara the season 6 big bad and have the Xander Willow talk down confrontation replaced with a Tara Willow talk down confrontation.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pan Dulce posted:

In fact, a lot of the monster design in most of the episodes is really detailed and I love the usage of practical effects and makeup to make something look out of this world. Optic Nerve Studios was really really good at their jobs.

Yeah, even morso in Angel, I think. Skip* and The Beast are just top-tier designs.

*Well...mostly. Doing an Angel rewatch and noticed at the end of S4 when they trap Skip in the circle, his top half design is solid...but his legs just look like the actor is wearing grey sweatpants, lol. I'm guessing for mobility reasons, since he moves a lot more in that scene that his other appearances (at least moves more in wide0angle shots we see his whole body.)

Probably looked find on the vast majority of TVs at the time (non-HD, sub-32"), but is pretty noticeable on my giant TV.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MarsPearl posted:

The AI episode where the mystery kinda sucks and the show spends like half the runtime dwelling on a fundamental misunderstanding of the Turing test is the only Elementary ep I consistently skip I think.

For Buffy I skip the praying mantis teacher ep and hyena ep in the first season.

See I liked the AI episode because you get Sherlock getting obsessed with the creepy doll, one of the few to have him losing/failing to get the real murderer and I think that's the episode that introduces us to Goat Whore.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As a Xander fan The Pack is essential viewing and along with The Puppet Show one of the best season one episodes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

kilus aof posted:

Make Tara the season 6 big bad and have the Xander Willow talk down confrontation replaced with a Tara Willow talk down confrontation.

Tara is like an OK side character. No way anyone gives enough of a poo poo for her to pull off being a season ending big bad. Plus what would even set her off?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Tara is like an OK side character. No way anyone gives enough of a poo poo for her to pull off being a season ending big bad. Plus what would even set her off?

Plot-twist:
Her family from season 4 was right, and she really does have some sort of evil demon inside of her. Spike was still able to hurt her because the demon was buried deep enough in her, or whatever, that the chip didn't register it.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
wrong thread

side_burned fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 7, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Plot-twist:
Her family from season 4 was right, and she really does have some sort of evil demon inside of her. Spike was still able to hurt her because the demon was buried deep enough in her, or whatever, that the chip didn't register it.

Given that the episode, Family from season five, was about Tara dealing with internalised homophobia / sexism I wouldn't really want them to go in this direction.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well Tara is far more than a merely 'ok side character" to me. She's a highlight of the later seasons. Thinking on it, I think I kinda prefer early seasons nerdy, nervous Willow. But later Willow is with Tara and I love them.

Also I forgot to mention how much this series buries Buffy's Dad 12 feet under, especially with Joyce's death. He has that one kinda okay appearance in S1 but after that it was like they were on a mission to make him the most hated never seen character in the series.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah Tara is great, the way she connects with Dawn and always looks out for her and then is Buffys confidant in Season 6 when she feels she can't turn to anyone else. She's not got some incredibly notable gimmick beyond "is just a nice, emotionally developed person" but it turns out that is kind of a gimmick in the Scooby Gang.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

When Angel was a puppet, we see he is still has his demon essence inside of him, as he even does a "vamp face" transformation as a puppet. He also seems pretty durable, as Werewolf-Nina torn him to pieces, but was just able to be stitched back up again. However, I can't recall to what degree his puppet-head does or does not leave his puppet-body. So...how invulnerable was he as a puppet? I imagine fire would still kill him, because...well...fire burns fabric pretty drat well.

But would he be immune to sunlight? My initial idea is "no" because he clearly still has the demon inside of him. But what about a stake in the heart? He doesn't HAVE a heart anymore, does he?

Edit: Holy poo poo, Nina the Werewolf is married to the Pie-Fucker?!

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 7, 2023

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

But would he be immune to sunlight? My initial idea is "no" because he clearly still has the demon inside of him. But what about a stake in the heart? He doesn't HAVE a heart anymore, does he?

I imagine sunlight would make him catch fire, which would kill him quickly. As for a stake, I always imagined he had a Build-a-Bear heart under all that fluff.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s an empirical question.

Clearly we need a bunch of puppet-pires, some apertures of varying opacity and a sunny day. For science.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Just finished "Forever."

"The Body" itself was an episode I always skipped. It was far, far too close to home for a young er me. It still hurt like hell this time but it wasn't representing a real fear any longer since the person I was afraid of losing has been gone for a while now. That ending vampire fight was very strange and I have no idea why it was included.

The vampire at the end is kind of jarring, yeah. But I think the point is that there’s no rest for Buffy and her friends/family. Life goes on. No breaks. They’ll still have to keep fighting even if they’re grieving.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DrBouvenstein posted:

Plot-twist:

Rewatch that scene. The chip very much registered it. Spike is actually able to hurt pretty much anyone even with the chip. It's just that if he hurts a "non-demon" the chip hurts him in return.

Aside from being Willow's girlfriend, the point of Tara is that she shows what a "normal" witch is like. Tara can do stuff like general ritual magic and fairly simple "quick-cast" spells, but she can't do the "off-the-cuff" badass spells (Lightning Strike on Glory) that Willow can do. When it comes witches/magic-users Willow is the weird one because she went from zero magic in Season One to not quite Witch Demon Lord toward the end of Season Six. And she got even more potent in Season Seven.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

The vampire at the end is kind of jarring, yeah. But I think the point is that there’s no rest for Buffy and her friends/family. Life goes on. No breaks. They’ll still have to keep fighting even if they’re grieving.

I honestly think they might have had an every episode will have a vampire/demon/monster clause somewhere and they were contractually obligated to.

E.g. the sfx people who do gribblies need to have something to do each episode, you can’t just write their job away.

Would that be Make Up Artist and Hairstylist Guild? If we can figure out which union, the contracts should be public somewhere.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FishBowlRobot posted:

I kind of liked that bit because it so effectively shows how hosed up and broken down Buffy is at that point. The vamp is clearly someone that Buffy would ash with a #2 Pencil because it's easy and she's bored. Having it be the awful struggle it was makes she wonder if Buffy was fighting herself as much as the vamp. Like maybe she was hoping a little bit that the bastard would kill her to end the grief and pain she was in at that moment.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

"Tough Love"

I swear this episode kinda feels like "oh poo poo, we gotta hurry up to the climax!" We've done the Riley thing, we've done the Joyce thing, we've done the Spike thing, we gotta finally focus on Glory here, people. All season its' been run into Glory, run away, run into Glory run away, until now she finally decides enough is enough and pursues. Amazing way to end an episode, though.

"Spiral"

GREGOR: Such was her power. They feared she would attempt to seize their dimension for herself, and decided to strike first. A great battle erupted. In the end, they stood victorious over the beast ... barely. She was cast out. Banished to this lower plane of existence, forced to live and eventually die trapped within the body of a mortal ... a newborn male, created as her prison. That is the beast's ... only weakness.
[...]
GREGOR: The key ... is almost as old as the beast itself. Where it came from, how it was created ... the deepest of mysteries. All that is certain is that its power is absolute. Countless generations of my people have sacrificed their lives in search of it, to destroy it before its wrath could be unleashed.

Okay so Ben was her only prison? She was cast out like 20 years ago since I assume he's about that age? So why were "countless generations" searching for teh Key before that?

Goddamn they're lucky Glory is the best because her backstory and all this poo poo with the Knights, Monks and the Key sucks and doesn't make any sense.

EDIT:

Glory confirms in Weight of the World Ben is 25 and she was banished 25 years ago.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 8, 2023

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

"Tough Love"

I swear this episode kinda feels like "oh poo poo, we gotta hurry up to the climax!" We've done the Riley thing, we've done the Joyce thing, we've done the Spike thing, we gotta finally focus on Glory here, people. All season its' been run into Glory, run away, run into Glory run away, until now she finally decides enough is enough and pursues. Amazing way to end an episode, though.

"Spiral"

GREGOR: Such was her power. They feared she would attempt to seize their dimension for herself, and decided to strike first. A great battle erupted. In the end, they stood victorious over the beast ... barely. She was cast out. Banished to this lower plane of existence, forced to live and eventually die trapped within the body of a mortal ... a newborn male, created as her prison. That is the beast's ... only weakness.
[...]
GREGOR: The key ... is almost as old as the beast itself. Where it came from, how it was created ... the deepest of mysteries. All that is certain is that its power is absolute. Countless generations of my people have sacrificed their lives in search of it, to destroy it before its wrath could be unleashed.

Okay so Ben was her only prison? She was cast out like 20 years ago since I assume he's about that age? So why were "countless generations" searching for teh Key before that?

Goddamn they're lucky Glory is the best because her backstory and all this poo poo with the Knights, Monks and the Key sucks and doesn't make any sense.

Maybe they cast the Key back in time in some addlepated attempt to keep it from Glory? Though, if they could do that, they could also have stuck Glory and her mortal anchor in the late 10th century, giving him plenty of time to grow old and die, and thrown the Key into the 20th century. Maybe they just screwed up and got it backwards. Or left Dimwit, God of Stupid, in charge of Key disposal.

Honestly, it doesn't pay to think about it too hard. Like how Buffy apparently killed at least one of the Knights, who as far as i know were completely human, without a twinge of conscience ever. (Some of the other guys she beat the crap out of on top of the RV may have survived but I have a hard time believing the one who took a battle axe to the chest lived.)

Filox fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 8, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Filox posted:

Honestly, it doesn't pay to think about it too hard. Like how Buffy apparently killed at least one of the Knights, who as far as i know were completely human, without a twinge of conscience ever. (Some of the other guys she beat the crap out of on top of the RV may have survived but I have a hard time believing the one who took a battle axe to the chest lived.)

Yeah I meant to comment on that. Lots of folks bring the Knights up when discussing Buffy's stance on killing humans. Most of them were just thrown off a very slow moving Winnebago but she did like tchuck a spear into one so he's probably dead. But then the one knight says ten of his men are dead, presumably referring to the altercation which just took place.

Also, going back to nerdy power level poo poo, Glory killing an entire army of those guys in about 30 seconds while restraining Dawn has to be the most impressive demonstration of speed in the series .Beat that, Adam, Illyria, whoever.

Although Holtz - who is just a completely normal human - does have a very infamous feat of killing a WR&H hit squad armed with guns with only a sword and it was similarly in a ridiculously short span of time. Not nearly as many people died as with Glory but back in my "who could beat who days" Holtz stood at the top of the Buffyverse humans in terms of skill because of this. Whenever I get to AtS, I'm looking forward to Holtz. He was awesome. Although I recall some fans trying to paint him as an antihero or antivillain. No, he's just an evil SOB, no matter what was done to him. He's far too methodical, especially with what he does to Connor, to be anything but evil.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Filox posted:

The Knights are trying to murder Dawn. And they're trying to do that by murdering their way through Buffy and her friends. There's no police to call and no jail to put the Knights in. At that point the question for Buffy was "Which life is more important? Dawn's or the life of the dude currently trying to kill me so he can kill her?" At this point Buffy has been killing sentient, talking beings (vampires/demons/etc.) for five years now. If a pack of weirdo human fanatics choose to act like demons (by trying to murder innocent people), they're gonna get killed like demons.