Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

joepinetree posted:

Being a Brazilian living in the US, it is striking how the American reaction is all or nothing based on results.

I think largely the public here historically doesn't care about soccer but does care about winning, and that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

habeasdorkus posted:

This has been a huge failure of Andonofsky. The US has plenty of technically skilled and clever players, it's not that they're "more athletic" than other nations players and that hasn't been the case against the top flight of competition since at latest 2011. The US lost a bunch in the aughts because they were strong and could run all day but didn't have the technical nous. Now they've got that, but they gave a goddamned F-22 to George Armstrong Custer. Moreover, they managed their generational turnover poorly, especially going forward where Sophia Smith was not quite ready for prime time, Alex Morgan is just past it, and Rose Lavelle was coming off injury/got two cards in the group stage. They've never figured out how to handle Left Back because they'll just stick Crystal Dunn there rather than see who could actually play the position naturally. The injury to Becky Saurbrunn shouldn't have been as huge a deal as it was, but hurt because Vlatko didn't trust anyone to play centerback other than an out of position Julie Ertz, the midfield lost it's best defender... and the midfield was already a mess due to injuries, Vlatko's incompetence, and the US's habit of developing excellent attacking mids and very few excellent 6s.

Add into all of that Vlatko's near complete inability to make adjustments, and having apparently no clue what he was doing with subs. In that final game Vlatko makes his team it worse by subbing off Trinity Rodman, who'd been the most threatening US forward, and then substituting in a 38 year old Megan Rapinoe. Despite all of that, on most days the USWNT advances to the quarterfinals instead of Sweden with that performance.

All that said, we US fans deserve our comeuppance. We got wrecked, and we were certainly more than arrogant enough to engender all of the schadenfreude that's been pent up for a decade. I think the Olympics will be interesting.

And it's not like the American system can't produce good coaches, Nigeria's coach has been doing great things there. I imagine we'll be trying out a new one by the time of the Olympics, no way Andonofsky is kept long after this.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

habeasdorkus posted:

This has been a huge failure of Andonofsky. The US has plenty of technically skilled and clever players, it's not that they're "more athletic" than other nations players and that hasn't been the case against the top flight of competition since at latest 2011. The US lost a bunch in the aughts because they were strong and could run all day but didn't have the technical nous. Now they've got that, but they gave a goddamned F-22 to George Armstrong Custer. Moreover, they managed their generational turnover poorly, especially going forward where Sophia Smith was not quite ready for prime time, Alex Morgan is just past it despite having made the World XI just last year, and Rose Lavelle was coming off injury/got two cards in the group stage. They've never figured out how to handle Left Back because they'll just stick Crystal Dunn there rather than see who could actually play the position naturally. The injury to Becky Saurbrunn shouldn't have been as huge a deal as it was, but hurt because Vlatko didn't trust anyone to play centerback other than an out of position Julie Ertz, the midfield lost it's best defender... and the midfield was already a mess due to injuries, Vlatko's incompetence, and the US's habit of developing excellent attacking mids and very few excellent 6s.

Add into all of that Vlatko's near complete inability to make adjustments, and having apparently no clue what he was doing with subs. In that final game Vlatko makes his team it worse by subbing off Trinity Rodman, who'd been the most threatening US forward, and then substituting in a 38 year old Megan Rapinoe. Despite all of that, on most days the USWNT advances to the quarterfinals instead of Sweden with that performance.

All that said, we US fans deserve our comeuppance. We got wrecked, and we were certainly more than arrogant enough to engender all of the schadenfreude that's been pent up for a decade. I think the Olympics will be interesting.

1. Rodman was sick, so she probably couldn't have gone the full 90', let alone 120'.
2. What you said about Sauerbrunn can also be applied to Macario/Pugh (although losing both was going to have some noticeable impact regardless). The drop-off in forward play shouldn't have been that pronounced but goddamn it was blindingly bad.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

whypick1 posted:

2. What you said about Sauerbrunn can also be applied to Macario/Pugh (although losing both was going to have some noticeable impact regardless). The drop-off in forward play shouldn't have been that pronounced but goddamn it was blindingly bad.

Right, it shouldn't have been THAT pronounced. The US still had good attacking players, they just were completely ill served by the tactical setup.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

habeasdorkus posted:

Moreover, they managed their generational turnover poorly, especially going forward where Sophia Smith was not quite ready for prime time, Alex Morgan is just past it despite having made the World XI just last year, and Rose Lavelle was coming off injury/got two cards in the group stage. They've never figured out how to handle Left Back because they'll just stick Crystal Dunn there rather than see who could actually play the position naturally. The injury to Becky Saurbrunn shouldn't have been as huge a deal as it was, but hurt because Vlatko didn't trust anyone to play centerback other than an out of position Julie Ertz, the midfield lost it's best defender... and the midfield was already a mess due to injuries, Vlatko's incompetence, and the US's habit of developing excellent attacking mids and very few excellent 6s.

I'm not sure what it's like with other NTs - I mean, certainly very few people in Brazil would tell Marta no if she decides she wants to play in another WC - but we really have tended to let older 'stars' linger indefinitely. IIRC when Ellis took over for 2015's WC, I think she was told that she had to keep some of those vet players (Pearce, Boxx) on the roster but at least she barely played most of them save for basically, like, send-off minutes. By 2019, though, we should have already been cycling out, say, Lloyd in favor of developing players like Smith. Andonovski and the current US leadership at least have started investing in new blood but we all know the only reason present-day Rapinoe's on that roster instead of, say, Ashley Hatch or someone similar, is because she's about to retire and no one's going to tell her no, and he still hosed it up by actually giving her meaningful minutes instead of Ashley Sanchez or someone else who'd be fitter/better/likely to still be in the player pool over the next four years.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just caught the highlights. The Aussie goals were real freakin good.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Can we stop talking about loser teams who are eliminated? Thx

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
nah

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
To those asking for reform at US Soccer, beyond replacing Vlatko, what would be appropriate/ necessary? Changes to the high school-to-college-to-NWSL pipeline? Grassroots initiatives? Changes to NWSL structure and/or organisation? How the national team is organised or works?

And on what timescale would these changes be effective?

As someone with limited knowledge of how US Soccer works and how they can affect the women's game in the US your insights would be interesting.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Vegetable posted:

Just caught the highlights. The Aussie goals were real freakin good.

Yeah I hadn’t been sold on Mary Fowler but her vision and delivery for both through-balls to Foord for the goals was sensational

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

a real chump posted:

Can we stop talking about loser teams who are eliminated? Thx

imagine having been knocked out already lmao

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Shazback posted:

To those asking for reform at US Soccer, beyond replacing Vlatko, what would be appropriate/ necessary? Changes to the high school-to-college-to-NWSL pipeline? Grassroots initiatives? Changes to NWSL structure and/or organisation? How the national team is organised or works?

And on what timescale would these changes be effective?

As someone with limited knowledge of how US Soccer works and how they can affect the women's game in the US your insights would be interesting.

Read the article I posted on the previous page.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

webmeister posted:

Yeah I hadn’t been sold on Mary Fowler but her vision and delivery for both through-balls to Foord for the goals was sensational

Mary Fowler owns tbh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Colombia v Jamaica - I just hope both teams have fun!

France v Morocco -

Sphyre posted:

gimme PENOS

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Colombia just kicking Shaw

looked like a knee knock actually

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
They kick the poo poo out of everyone. I want them to win and do it to England

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Referee certainly letting them play

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

That was a yellow?

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao sick judo throw there

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

de curry GOAT posted:

Referee certainly letting them play

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Phwoar the pass and first touch were sweet

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Blackwood lost out there

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Two good teams.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lol this game just went nuts

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Going to be at least one red in this game

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

I don’t think spence completed a pass this half

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Love the continued pans to the Powerpuff Girls sign in the crowd.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Please be serious jamaica

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Selfish from Linda C

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

I will be praying for England to absolutely batter colombia

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
rip Jamaica, you scored one goal and conceded one in four matches

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Colombia fuckin owns

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Colombia probably beats England but loses to France, although I've bet on them to get to the final so C'MON :mcrappe: C'MON

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Wasn't pretty and Jamaica had two good chances they shoulda put away. I think England wins but Caicedo is legit

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Colombia are going to kick England all over the field and there will be complaints about how "we got robbed" even though we never deserved to make it past Nigeria

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Two good teams.

youre half right

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I'm tipping a French massacre here

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004