Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

LionYeti posted:

The main thing is theres a ton of inner space for buildings that will never be useful for apartments unless you want rooms with no windows whatsoever. A lot that would have 1 office tower would probably have two apartment blocks with an inner courtyard or something like that. The other thing is that there needs to be hot water pumped up and out to much more distant places in the building. If you ever wonder why bathrooms are in the same place on every floor its so they can keep plumbing in place. It's not just greedy fucks preventing office buildings becoming residential there are practical issues to the point its maybe cheaper to knock them down and rebuild them.

Oh yeah that sounds familiar! He gave me the full rundown when he was venting one day but mostly what I remember is retrofitting all the plumbing for individual bathrooms and a completely different type of sewer connection and something about heating and cooling (or something about air flow) that all adds up to be much bigger problem than people imagine.

In any case the local paper keeps publishing op-eds about how we should turn these empty towers into apartments and it drives him crazy and yeah according to him it’d be cheaper to knock them down and start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Smuggins posted:

I know we are not in the same industry but I just went through this and it was toally "rah rah it's great" as well as being totally unrealistic.
I made it clear I did not get a masters and work my rear end off to work in a call center because you soloed asshats think it's great. (It is not great, each of the three presentation for the new in office policy was all the same stupid script. Dumbasses did not think people talk to each other) Turns out the scuttle is that certain managers said "It's soooo hard to manage people only coming in 2 days a week) Screw those lazy bums and screw this open office.

When we started doing "select your location" policies some managers decreed that their staff would be on site full time, it didn't matter if you had parts you could go touch or anything like that, they just wanted you in person so they could have their little power trip. I work with one of those people and she's so incredibly controlling that she completely stopped my wife's replacement from taking the job for almost six months and then completely quashed another person from leaving her team recently. A third just got a job that was two levels above her old job and so this manager couldn't force her to stick around.

Smuggins posted:

Heck a remote position feels odd to me because I do want some kind of connection to my team but an internationalinsurance group just talked about 100K full remote (this is close to double my salary) and still want to talk to me since the push is thier local talent pool is exhausted...crossing my fingers.

We ran head on into the exhausted talent pool problem years ago. When new people join teams it's almost 90% people coming from other areas/businesses under our umbrella, and that started before COVID. We're just too low population an area for us to not just keep trading the same people back and forth with our sister companies. For a while the real problem we ended up having with staffing during the early days of the pandemic was people moving to jobs in different areas of the country while remote work was the standard. My old team is based on the US East Coast and has exactly three of eight people based in the same STATE as the home office now because of us looking wider for staff. My boss and boss' boss live in the Midwest, neither near a company facility, never mind our main office.

LionYeti posted:

The main thing is theres a ton of inner space for buildings that will never be useful for apartments unless you want rooms with no windows whatsoever. A lot that would have 1 office tower would probably have two apartment blocks with an inner courtyard or something like that. The other thing is that there needs to be hot water pumped up and out to much more distant places in the building. If you ever wonder why bathrooms are in the same place on every floor its so they can keep plumbing in place. It's not just greedy fucks preventing office buildings becoming residential there are practical issues to the point its maybe cheaper to knock them down and rebuild them.

We were literally making fun of Elon Musk for trying to make Twitter's office into dorms and having the city shut him down because it's just not viable to live out of an office building and meet all the regulations. The town I came from had two old mill buildings that were converted to condos and the thing about both of them is that you had some really weird spaces because of that, both in and out of the residences. At least those buildings were designed to use windows to keep the place lit during the workday and so there are multiple and large windows. I've worked in offices where you could either have some massive apartments or would have some extremely weird layouts to make things work. That's just the physical space in the best conditions, not even considering how you would deal with utilities and such.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang that is interesting, not to be too :tinfoil: but wondering how much of that narrative is being pushed by car & oil companies. People sitting at home aren’t buying as much gas or needing a new car as quickly, and on a massive scale that would cost a lot of awful industries an awful lot of money.

Considering car companies can't keep up with demand and oil/gas companies are hitting record profits I think they are doing ok. It's a lot more the companies realizing they will have to pay to keep the lights on and the water running for the whole office even if only one person shows up and the local politicians threatening tax deals if they don't have people in the office potentially living and probably buying meals in the immediate area. I thought my company was immune to that pressure because we own our buildings. Also some of our sites, like my wife's, inflated their staff beyond what was possible when limited by physical space and now RTO policies mean they don't have enough desks for everyone who is now mandated to work on site.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They set us hybrid earlier this year. I’m fine with hybrid but they will probably bring us all back next year. I’m sure they’ll also expect us to work from home or take time off if they decide to shut the state offices down for bad weather. Plus they’ll more than likely make a lot of exceptions for positions that don’t really need offices like they were planning on doing earlier this year when everyone threw a fit about trying to force everyone back in full time. The state could save themselves an assload of money not renting out offices since they don’t own a loving building we all work out of. Just the dumbest greediest motherfuckers.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
My company has been charging full speed ahead with building a beautiful giant new hq building and a new parking garage all through the pandemic so I don’t have high hopes about us staying hybrid.

What really sucks for me is that a lot of childcare options went away because wfh parents (me included) kept our kids home during the summers and no longer needed before or after care for school. Saving that money helped us get ahead (though the rising cost of food and everything else has offset that). With few students, a ton of places in my neighborhood closed and haven’t reopened. If I get on the waitlist now I might be able to get them into after care for September of 2024.

So if they pull me back full time in-office now it means I can’t get to work until 10 and have to leave by 2. With the way they stack my calendar with meetings I’ll be phoning in from the car both ways most days.

Maybe I should have been proactive two years ago and already had my kids signed up for this upcoming year but gently caress that. Work keeps saying there are “currently” no plans to change the hybrid policy, I’ve been very vocal with my situation, and my resume is still tight so I’m ready to make it their problem if they want to renege. Really sucks for people who don’t have the same flexibility.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm still applying for jobs and oh my god it sucks

Spend 30 minutes browsing job boards to find a job with a livable wage to apply to

Go to company website

Upload resume

Write cover letter (I make AI do it at this point because it writes bomb cover letters tailored to individual jobs at no effort lmao)

Re-enter all the resume information into 100 separate info boxes

Track down the street address of everywhere you've ever worked for some reason

Write an essay about why you're a good fit for the position

Write a paragraph about how enthusiastic you are to work here

Fill out 3 separate pages of demographic information

Enter your personal info

Fill out a form about what other roles you might be interested in

Tell us if you have a disability

E-sign this consent form

Thanks! You'll probably never hear from us but maybe you will within 6 weeks :)

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

Write cover letter (I make AI do it at this point because it writes bomb cover letters tailored to individual jobs at no effort lmao)

How do you do this? Because when I tried to get chatgpt to write cover letters, all it would do is regurgitate the job description and my resume together with a whole lotta fluff.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Salami Surgeon posted:

How do you do this? Because when I tried to get chatgpt to write cover letters, all it would do is regurgitate the job description and my resume together with a whole lotta fluff.

yeah that's a cover letter

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

This job I have now is the first time I filled out an application since... 2013? Even that was just to satisfy the paperwork gods while being a temp hire for a company whose independent operators already utilized my services and whose management already knew me.

That, my former business? All word of mouth in a small community of people within a large tri-city area, plus environs to the immediate north and south of us.

I did not even know what to put on this latest application. Ended up not putting anything down and just talking about it to the district manager who hired me.

*blah, blah, related work experience*

"Okay, sounds good. Are you able to do mostly self-directed work? There are a lot of thing that need to be done and it seems you have experience with that."

"Yup. I'll concentrate on what I know and how I know to fix it."

"Got it. I'll give you a call if we need something specific!"

*I proceed to spend the next week and a half'sworth of shifts unfucking the worst, most immediate problems while not doing anything near my actual job description*

I have a particular skill-set, but no idea how to market it. What? "Your poo poo's hosed up and not getting any better. I can unfuck it back to baseline without throwing anyone under the bus, letting you take care of that end. I expose problems by fixing them, while leaving a magnesium fire bright paper trail to show it's been done correctly." Sounds like a hell of a pitch!

Oh, poo poo. No. That's just asset protection/internal security.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ben shapino posted:

yeah that's a cover letter

Nope.

I last sent a cover letter in 2016, so the requirement to include one as the body of the email with your resume attached may have changed, the content hasn't.

quote:

Three paras:
1. I am applying for $blah, I am perfect for it because...
2. Personal statement (of being awesome)
3. My resume supports this in the following ways....

Hello,

I am writing to apply for the $JOB_TITLE position in $LOCATION. I believe that my extensive IT experience makes me the ideal person to take care of your IT needs. During my recent tenure with $COMPANY1 (for $COMPANYX) I provided hardware and software troubleshooting for OS X and Windows 7 on and HP systems. I also performed hardware repair for those as well as for Xerox printers. At $COMPANY2 I had hands on experience managing Box and our ShoreTel phone system. I worked with Engineering and QA to support their objectives and infrastructure needs. At $COMPANY4. I managed and upgraded our OS X, Linux, and Windows infrastructure across our global network (SF, NYC, London). I have extensive experience with Asset Management, including developing and implementing an Asset Management system at $COMPANY3 in response to a $LOCATION property tax audit (we passed)

I have a deep and abiding passion for support done right. The process needs to be set up correctly, well documented, the techs need to be lead, and the user community needs to be trained and supported. There's very little I'd rather do.

I have attached my resume to highlight my well-rounded experience. I have worked mainly in small (50-100 employees), fast-growing creative companies such as advertising or professional services studios. All of my references will confirm that I am an expert at administering a mixed OS X/Windows environment. My experience also includes work for two Fortune 500 companies, multiple startups, and a large university and medical school. I can best be reached during business hours (Pacific Time) at my cell number given below or via email.

gently caress me running, I found a lazy typo in that while I was anonymizing it. Says more about hiring managers, I got interviews using that template.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

Step 1 is pay for ChatGPT-4, anything else is hot garbage in comparison (yet still incredible technology).

Step 2 is to iterate a few times on prompts until the word predictor predicts the words you want.

Bonus points is to use the Code Interpreter feature and upload a zip of your resume and the job description (as text files) and ask it to read them over while planning out your cover letter

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 8, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MonkeyHate posted:

Oh yeah that sounds familiar! He gave me the full rundown when he was venting one day but mostly what I remember is retrofitting all the plumbing for individual bathrooms and a completely different type of sewer connection and something about heating and cooling (or something about air flow) that all adds up to be much bigger problem than people imagine.

In any case the local paper keeps publishing op-eds about how we should turn these empty towers into apartments and it drives him crazy and yeah according to him it’d be cheaper to knock them down and start over.

All of this stuff makes sense, but I gotta wonder, what about all those old factories/mills/etc. that got converted into lofts? Wouldn't they have had pretty much the same issues re: plumbing and air management?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

Use claude.ai instead of chatgpt. It's free and better.

Prompt it with something like:

Write a cover letter for a [role] position. Focus on [key qualifications listed in the job posting]

Then manually stick in any personal accomplishments or whatever.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 8, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My dad said never start a cover letter, or every paragraph, with "I".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

McSpanky posted:

All of this stuff makes sense, but I gotta wonder, what about all those old factories/mills/etc. that got converted into lofts? Wouldn't they have had pretty much the same issues re: plumbing and air management?
In older buildings plumbing was often outside the walls so were much easier to reroute. Plus they were a few stories at most, not 30 story obelisks to Mammon.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

peanut posted:

My dad said never start a cover letter, or every paragraph, with "I".

This troper would make a valuable addition to $company

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've been night shift most of my adult life lol

2300-0700, 1500-2300, 1900-0700, 1500-0600, and now 1400-0230.

I don't mind it too bad. Mrs. Bastard hates it, naturally lol.

Right now I'm home on family leave, reading the forums at non normal hours for me, idly pondering how to get stupid rich by shorting the commercial real estate market.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I updated my resume and sent it directly to a company that I did subcontracted work for/with.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

McSpanky posted:

Not only are they smaller as mentioned, but a lot of those are completely gutted internally during reno, including any floors or walls so it's a lot easier to install plumbing/elec/internet and whatever else you're doing. An old building near me was worked over and when driving by I could see that there was literally nothing left inside, just the shell and they constructed the new apartments from scratch.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Not only are they smaller as mentioned, but a lot of those are completely gutted internally during reno, including any floors or walls so it's a lot easier to install plumbing/elec/internet and whatever else you're doing. An old building near me was worked over and when driving by I could see that there was literally nothing left inside, just the shell and they constructed the new apartments from scratch.

It’s this. They literally just scoop it out like a cantaloupe and start over, the old part is just there for looks and often isn’t even structurally functional.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MonkeyHate posted:

If you're redoing a high rise (30+ story building) to be mixed zoning or residential, you basically have to gut it completely, down to bare floors and the glass outside walls. THEN comes the fun part, where you get to completely redesign the building's HVAC system for radically different thermal and moisture loads, and redo the plumbing from a column of shitters adjacent to the elevators into a nightmare of piping cut into the floors. THEN you can start knocking the walls up and making some soulless post modern nightmare condo some chinese investor will pay 3 million for.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you're redoing a high rise (30+ story building) to be mixed zoning or residential, you basically have to gut it completely, down to bare floors and the glass outside walls. THEN comes the fun part, where you get to completely redesign the building's HVAC system for radically different thermal and moisture loads, and redo the plumbing from a column of shitters adjacent to the elevators into a nightmare of piping cut into the floors. THEN you can start knocking the walls up and making some soulless post modern nightmare condo some chinese investor will pay 3 million for.

It's really hard to make anything go from industrial to residential in a lot of cases. You would have a better chance of turning office buildings into rental spaces for doctors, lawyers, small engineering/architecture firms, offsite locations for businesses that over expanded, that sort of thing. The trick would be creating some sort of modular setup so each of these things would be more or less self contained, but I've worked out of a building like that in the past where different businesses would just rent part of a floor and you would use the shared services like bathrooms and kitchens provided by the building. It doesn't solve the problem of affordable housing, but it would be a better choice for commercial real estate holders before leaning on their current clients to force people back in.

In terms of bad conversion jobs: My previous company was having issues at multiple sites because they were expanding too fast and not seeing the level of attrition they expected (because they killed the pension plan in the 90's and all the near-retirement guys had their 401ks rocked by the 2008 recession). The only option was to expand and they bought what used to be an Ames (think off-off-brand Wal-Mart) back when those existed. After the store closed it had been purchased by another company to be used as a warehouse. They had installed a new HVAC system that was designed to keep a giant space filled with boxes on racks at a reasonable temperature, not an office full of people. When the company I worked for bought the building they had to make a ton of adjustments, adding bathrooms, a pair of kitchens, secure areas, a gym and locker rooms, a pumping room (which was a nice gesture if not required by law) as well as a series of conference rooms and "breakout areas." Oh, and of course they converted the rest of the space into a cube farm. Notably, they didn't touch the HVAC system, it was mounted to the ceiling 25 feet above the ground and there was no way they could drop it down to a reasonable height. What they did do was mount sound dampening panels a little below the HVAC ducts. These turned out to be too high to kill any actual sound (you could hear conversations from 30 feet away easily) and just the right height to completely block some of the HVAC vents. End result a Goldilocks effect where one cube was too hot, one too cold and one just right depending on the weather outside.

Anyways, the first day we were there the main kitchen lost power because the electrical contractors hadn't accounted for two toasters to be running at once, a toilet came off the wall in the women's bathroom which resulted in a woman retiring out of shame, and people started wearing winter coats inside down on the south end of the building because the temperature sensor monitoring their area was right at the vent point of a wall mounted computer used to manage our time cards/charges. This caused the sensor to think it was a sweltering 90 degrees constantly and so it then attempted to drop the temperature as low as possible in that zone. This was January in New England, it was bad. By the time we got to spring and summer the system was mostly worked out, but I constantly found myself sweating if it got above 70 outside because my cube was getting our airflow deflected by a sound dampening panel. I'm sure all this could have worked if we didn't use the lowest bidder possible, but the state only gave the company $5 million and apparently half of that went into someone's bank account with how half assed all this was.

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I work for a large-ish hospital/health care company who just announced earlier in July that all employees were supposed to connect their personal devices to a special network and no longer use the guest WiFi. This special network requires me to put in my work assigned username and password to access. It seems they really want to know what their employees are doing on their own devices at work. Sadly it seems no one else in my department has picked up on this. :feelsgood:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

TheHomerTax posted:

I work for a large-ish hospital/health care company who just announced earlier in July that all employees were supposed to connect their personal devices to a special network and no longer use the guest WiFi. This special network requires me to put in my work assigned username and password to access. It seems they really want to know what their employees are doing on their own devices at work. Sadly it seems no one else in my department has picked up on this. :feelsgood:

That’s great, you can measure how much traffic I’m putting through a VPN.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think it was the show Grand Designs that was all about people renovating old commercial/civic/non-residential buildings into homes, and the problems they had doing all of that stuff while retaining as much of the original building as possible. Most of the time they did ^ out of necessity.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

left_unattended posted:

I think it was the show Grand Designs that was all about people renovating old commercial/civic/non-residential buildings into homes, and the problems they had doing all of that stuff while retaining as much of the original building as possible. Most of the time they did ^ out of necessity.

To be fair, this happens with most residential stuff that wasn’t built in the last twenty years or so as well. You can change fixtures and toss up a coat of paint, but as soon as you start moving electrical and plumbing and load bearing walls everything has to come up to current code.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

TheHomerTax posted:

absolutely no chance I would ever sign into this wifi network even a single time on any device I owned

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

teemolover42069 posted:

absolutely no chance I would ever sign into this wifi network even a single time on any device I owned

Which is why my phone is merrily chugging along on the guest WiFi

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

teemolover42069 posted:

Even in Australia data is relatively cheap, so I'd rather just use that lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

teemolover42069 posted:

It's tyool 2023 and data plans are hella cheap, why even bother?

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

Outrail posted:

It's tyool 2023 and data plans are hella cheap, why even bother?

Cause I work in a location such that I get very little cell signal in the building. Which is why I use the guest WiFi.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
5G is also typically faster than work wifi, and especially the crappy free wifi provided by coffee shops, stores and malls.

Edit: fair enough if the reception is bad.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

teemolover42069 posted:

Yeah. If a device or a network is administered by your employer, it's safest to assume that anyone in the company can read anything they want from it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TheHomerTax posted:

Cause I work in a location such that I get very little cell signal in the building. Which is why I use the guest WiFi.

Well, that sucks :/

Downloading your Netflix and porn before heading to work is a pita

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
would a vpn even actually work for hiding what you were doing on a network like that?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

teemolover42069 posted:

would a vpn even actually work for hiding what you were doing on a network like that?

wouldn't you like to know

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
yeah...thats why i asked...thought that was pretty obvious

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

teemolover42069 posted:

Yes, although they would see your encrypted traffic going to the VPN.

Technically they can't read your normal HTTPS traffic either. They can only see that you have encrypted traffic to and from websites X, Y, and Z.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It depends on how they've set up that employee network and what steps you had to do to connect to it. If it is just a simple wifi network and they aren't setting up an elaborate man in the middle then once you're connected to your personal VPN you'd be fine. But there are means for them to still intercept your traffic and snoop it, it'd just be more involved than simply having a standard wifi network available for employees. But also you shouldn't ever make it easy for them.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

~Coxy posted:

Technically they can't read your normal HTTPS traffic either.

This is not true if you've installed a root ca from your work, which will happen if you install a lot of different work software packages or often even accessing work email/calendar via outlook

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

~Coxy posted:

Yes, although they would see your encrypted traffic going to the VPN.

Technically they can't read your normal HTTPS traffic either. They can only see that you have encrypted traffic to and from websites X, Y, and Z.

Never ever assume that. That is not true. There are a number of security appliances that have essentially a built in man in the middle and read your traffic anyway. They intercept the secure traffic request, replace it with their own and send it on your behalf. This makes the traffic encrypted to their security appliance and not your computer. Then they pass you a secure connection from the appliance to your computer meaning you see it as a secure connection. Never ever assume your secure connections are really secure. I administer Forcepoint appliances that do that, among others.

It's a company sanctioned man in the middle and they can read all your traffic.