Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why is she, and only she, naked?

Yeaaah, I dunno if I'm reading too much into it but I think it's weird that only the black character is naked in this scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

God that rear end is terrible.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

it's weird that her vines are coming out of her like she's brown widow

but i guess there are worse places they could be coming from

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
lmao I forgot about Brown Widow's, uh, web dispenser

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Surprised he didn't guest in the movie

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Fister Roboto posted:

God that rear end is terrible.

Bad rear end.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Samovar posted:

Bad rear end.

I'd repressed that scene with Luna

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Mookie drawing nudity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtB_jvznaNM

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
CHAPTER 38: ATTACK OF THE ARCHMAGI

In which the plot finally creaks forward.

I'd think one of the most powerful archmagi in the realms going berserk would be of greater interest than the details of a religion that we've never heard before and never will hear of again, but what do I know? Plus we have to see Nimmel again. God drat it.

It's also good to see Milov violently killing what he thought was Jayden is all water under the bridge now.

gently caress me, are we really doing A Nimmel House again?

Guys, did you get that the lunar divination is important? The lunar divination is vital to find out what's going on, so we need to make sure the lunar divination goes off without a hitch.

Katya hates Jayden for the stupidest goddamn reason.

She's angry because that evil bitch broke Milov's heart and she wants to kill Jayden. Again. Like Milov. So far, this chapter features a woman going CRAY-ZEE over a man while calling another woman a loving slut. A+ characters.

Aww, Nimmel's such a """NICE GUY""". Mookie's really doing two plots about how hard it is to be a nice guy back to back. God, I loving hate this comic.

And yes, the angry girl 180'd into sad and weak in a single page.

1. The dialogue makes my stomach heave. Everything about Nimmel and Katya is creepy as gently caress, and as for Jayden and Milov... "I don't think we... should work on us with one another"? This is not how people talk.
2. It's good to see Milov's forgiven Jayden for being an UNFAITHFUL CHEATING WHORE and Jayden's forgiven Milov for killing her. After all, everyone else did.
3. Noodle Archmage is an attempt to "darken the mood" according to Mookie, but the monster being derpy eyeballs on tentacles is, uh, not the choice I'd make.

oh thank god

yes yes KILL THEM ALL

gently caress

They'll be fine.

Hold up, so Snarf pulls Nimmel into this dimension to save him from getting killed by Noodle Mage, but it turns out Snarf's evil and he tries to kill Nimmel, but then Noodle Mage saves him by killing Snarf. What?

For some reason, Noodle Mage decided to throw away the advantage of being too small to see and transform into a giant target.

Ah, a heroic sacrifice. Let's see how Mookie fucks this up.

Time to break out the energy beams!

Threat gone, everyone saved.

She's fine. She's fiiiiiiiiine. Mookie's leaned on these faux dramatic moments too often to fool anyone.

Oh no, Katya died but Nimmel let out a big wizard hat and she's alive! This sucks.

Anyway, back to the real hero. Mookie, you don't need characters recapping the plot all the time. This isn't a newspaper.

How does Dominic recognize the LOST TREASURE OF LUANA on sight? Why is there a copy-paste of Stunt looking at the wall? Why does Stunt need to establish what a wall is?

ah of course, it all makes sense

what happened to dominic's feet

Dominic is given a major revelation via a long dead prophet and his response is "Oh." Incredible writing. I shouldn't be surprised that it's Dominic who receives this insight and not, say, Jayden, who's a devout follower of the church.

Why does Dominic still have the crystal ball? It's clearly dangerous and should be locked in a box or something, not sitting in the middle of the living room.

Two of the archmages have been ineffective -- will number three be the same?

Yep.

loving christ so many words

i honestly thought there was a cricket dick in the fifth panel

Everyone's STILL unharmed and now we have Bumper playing keep-away with (allegedly) one of the most powerful wizards in the world.

Yes, they're fooling the archmage with party tricks. This is so painful.

MORE ENERGY BEAMS WOOOOOOOO

Here's Quilt and Greg out of nowhere because we need to cram in more characters and show this is srs bizness

That's the end of Jiminy Cricket -- ganked by a loving fireball. And TIM's back, oh joy.

Congrats on ten years of this poo poo, Mookie. Ten years of cribbing from other artists and writers and turning their ideas into poo poo. Ten years of lovely plots and characters, ten years of mediocre art, ten years of middle school humor, ten years of half-assed stagnation. Ten years, and he still can't draw a straight line.

The news post was Mookie's announcement that he was ending the comic within a year, something he actually followed up on to everyone's surprise. Still a year too long, honestly.

Waitaminute, someone on the good team died? Is that even possible?? Oh, it was the black guy? The one we haven't seen since... gently caress, it's been so long I can't remember. Well, whatever.

Bumper somehow had the presence of mind to squirt blood from his hand stumps to stun TIM, who I'm positive is blind so it shouldn't have any effect. How is Bumper so calm after getting his hands cut off?

I can't stop laughing at panel 5.

TIM's so busy gloating he doesn't see Quilt running at him to deliver a sucker punch.

i forgot how horrifying spark looks, jfc

After all of that, precisely one person died and it was loving Bumper.

Next time: The death toll climbs to a whopping THREE named characters.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 6, 2023

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I still cannot tell any of these big haired anime boys apart

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I still cannot tell any of these big haired anime boys apart

I don't remember who made it, but it's been sitting in my SA directory for however many years.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Oh boy we're up to Dominic Deegan: Endgame! :woop:

I don't think I've had a look at this since it was being made daily and as a block it's noticeable how Mookie just flips a switch once he's decided he's going to end the comic. You get a good sense of which characters qualify for Mookie immunity and who doesn't quite make the grade and ends up thrown in the woodchipper to raise the stakes.

Also it's very in keeping with the comic that at the moment all this poo poo goes down, after years of build up and warning, Dominic the almighty oracle was still at home sitting in his chair doing gently caress all.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Somehow it feels really weird to think that Legacy has been going for half as long as Deegan Prime. Weird to think Mookie was uploading new comic every single day at one point. I remember when he was doing colored pages too but he didn't seem to stick with that

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
It's probably for the best he didn't continue the colored pages, considering the first time he did that was when we learned Bumper was black

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dominic hadn’t been in the comic for so long it was jarring when he got involved again.

And yeah in retrospect it’s clear the Attack of the Archmages was him deciding to go for the endgame. Switch flipped, mages start trying to kill everyone (but they’re total pushovers)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

SubG posted:

I don't remember who made it, but it's been sitting in my SA directory for however many years.

holy poo poo how did I miss this :eyepop:

Greg really did go from having generic How To Draw Anime hair to having the exact same hairstyle as Luna

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 6, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SubG posted:

Thread was on point back then.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

legacy is so bad its crushing the will to do any edits

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I also wonder how many regulars this thread has compared to the old one- even taking into account the overall drop SA's had in traffic over the years. DD was a hate read, Legacy is a loving endurance test.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

rudecyrus posted:

Everyone's STILL unharmed and now we have Bumper playing keep-away with (allegedly) one of the most powerful wizards in the world.

Magic dome withstands magic explosion from one of the most powerful magic users in existence

Shatters like glass from one punch from a creature that has no bones

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I also wonder how many regulars this thread has compared to the old one- even taking into account the overall drop SA's had in traffic over the years. DD was a hate read, Legacy is a loving endurance test.

To be fair, I didn't even realize Legacy was going on until late in the run. I'm surprised this thread exists, since I seem to recall mods not liking the mock threads much.

Synthbuttrange posted:

legacy is so bad its crushing the will to do any edits

Also this: I don't want to spend more time on a joke edit than the artist did on the main comic, and making hate art just feels like a petty waste of time when I could simply focus on making things that I like/are good, instead.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Maple Leaf posted:

Magic dome withstands magic explosion from one of the most powerful magic users in existence

Shatters like glass from one punch from a creature that has no bones

Also, why is it one panel? Why is it not one panel of a hand punching through and then a second panel of the guy being yanked free? It ruins all possible flow or suspense.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also, why is it one panel? Why is it not one panel of a hand punching through and then a second panel of the guy being yanked free? It ruins all possible flow or suspense.

In original DD, Mookie is incredibly fixated on doing eight panels in a 2x4 grid. I can't remember a single example of him ever using the infinite canvas that drawing a webcomic gives him; the closest thing to a stretch for him is to do the 2x4 grid in a single panel.

Then, within that panel, everything is a side view either from moderate distance or far distance. Intense close-ups, changes of angles, anything that would add visual interest is eschewed, largely because Mookie's side-face style is terrible at anything other than profiles, and secondarily because Mookie's not a good enough artist to feel comfortable mixing up visuals.

To be fair to him, he's expanded his repetoire a bit with Legacy; to be fair to the audience, it's largely in trying out new brush tools and c&p of other work rather than actually drawing new things in new ways.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

skeleton warrior posted:

In original DD, Mookie is incredibly fixated on doing eight panels in a 2x4 grid. I can't remember a single example of him ever using the infinite canvas that drawing a webcomic gives him; the closest thing to a stretch for him is to do the 2x4 grid in a single panel.

Then, within that panel, everything is a side view either from moderate distance or far distance. Intense close-ups, changes of angles, anything that would add visual interest is eschewed, largely because Mookie's side-face style is terrible at anything other than profiles, and secondarily because Mookie's not a good enough artist to feel comfortable mixing up visuals.

To be fair to him, he's expanded his repetoire a bit with Legacy; to be fair to the audience, it's largely in trying out new brush tools and c&p of other work rather than actually drawing new things in new ways.

But if he does the infinite canvas he can't sell books later.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Hippocrass posted:

But if he does the infinite canvas he can't sell books later.

Didn't have a blog post where he was bragging about how he was doing a digital release version of the Legacy books?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Breadmaster posted:

Didn't have a blog post where he was bragging about how he was doing a digital release version of the Legacy books?

lol

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
CHAPTER 38: ATTACK OF THE ARCHMAGI (cont)

Who's ready for more DBZ style action?

blah blah blah evil speeches idgaf

Momgan brought Celesto with her despite her suspicions, which seems to involve dragging around his black prison cube. Very inconvenient.

Like all cliche villains, King Dave reveals his plans in exacting detail. He wants to capture the Heart of Magic so he can create a "new world", like every generic RPG antagonist. What kind of world does the king desire? Who knows, not important. The idea that the most powerful mages in the planes fell prey to enchantment spells is... dumb. So dumb.

stop monologuing

Doesn't Callan already more or less dominate the world? I mean, the world outside of Callan might as well not exist given how much we know about it, other than "poo poo happens but it doesn't matter".

BUT IT WAS AN ILLUSION ALL ALONG!! MOMGAN OUTSMARTED THE KING BECAUSE OUR HEROES CAN'T BE THREATENED IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY! ROCK ON!

Given that the king is blind and sees entirely through his second sight AND is yet another master wizard, he should've detected something was off immediately.

To summarize: A Deegan was never in danger, a master mage was fooled by a "classic trick", and a blind guy was fooled by a visual illusion.

yaaaay more splosions and beamzzzzzz

i have nothing to add here

what the gently caress is this poo poo -- so the fight is between an illusion and an illusion. what is the goddamn point to any of this?

HE DID IT AGAIN. Momgan was at a disadvantage for half a comic, then a character we haven't seen in ages swoops in to save the day. gently caress!

OUTSMARTED BY A DEEGAN! AGAIN!

It turns out King Dave really was at the sanctum all along... I think. The dogshit art makes it almost impossible to tell.

I don't know why Dave says Ara is dead when he saw her grab Nimmel with her rear end and flee to another dimension. But anyway, three archmagi went down like chumps and the excuse is Dave's enchantments made them weak, which a load of crap. We still don't know what THE LOST TREASURE OF LUANA does.

You'll notice the king keeps looking at things like he can see, another check in the "Mookie doesn't know how to portray disabilities" column.

noooooooooo i wanted to be done with nimmel

thank god nimmel was rescued from that featureless white void

Ara dies because noble sacrifice or something.

Why can Katya hear Nimmel? Check out the huge crowd for Bumper's funeral, like he was an important character.

ahahahahahaha is that Dex? why is he wearing a hijab

WOOOO JACOB'S BACK

Unfortunately he's turned into a real softie. Boooooo, tear off your face again!

Remember all those great moments between Quilt and Bumper? Neither can I.

pfffffhahahahaha what the gently caress

This is so goddamn goofy. This is the lamest villain ever. What kind of bad guy speech starts with "Yeah, you've beaten me so far, but this time is different! Really!"

how do you leave a paper trail when dealing with extradimensional horrors

Four. Four strips ending with characters saying "What the heck is that?" For poo poo's sake, Mookie.

loving hell, the action is out of sequence. Show Manta Mage killing the priests and THEN the Spaghetti Battalion killing Chance's parents. Don't jump back and forth!

Dominic doesn't look shocked and horrified as much as he looks surprised and confused.

Snowsong's here to help out. Also, that's literally the same person in panel 1 and panel 7, come the gently caress on

Jacob sucks now.

The chapter ends with our heroes at their lowest point. How will they recover from the massive loss of Bumper, Chance's parents, and a bunch of faceless priests and Battlecasters?

Seriously, this sucks sucks SUCKS. Mookie can't kill his pet characters or force the protagonists into an uncomfortable situation for more than a page, so NOTHING matters. The villains are utter doofuses who win from luck more than anything, and if I have to look at another white void I'm gonna break something. gently caress!

Next time: Nimmel gets rescued because gently caress you

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Oh hey Dominic you had me worried but now I am a giant death laser you are finished!

No..., no I'm not aiming it at you and all your friends gathered together in one spot, I'm aiming it at these random nobodies digging up the Noodlegate files. Mwahahahaha!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Seeing this again in the context of the entire strip is making it clear how much of the big ultimate evil threat just sorta appeared as soon as Mookie decided he wanted to wrap things up. The king, the Beast, the Heart of Magic, none of this has been foreshadowed, it's all a massive rear end-pull that has nothing to do with anything.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I legitimately don't remember any of this lol

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

It's incredibly funny how he announces the comic is ending and instantly story goes in to endgame mode. You almost have to admire it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

I legitimately don't remember any of this lol

I remember there was a Beast and an evil king and some character nobody really paid any attention to died and that was about it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't understand what the point of being an incredibly powerful archmage is if you can easily be tricked by whatever an "enchantment" is to create a new archmagus and then also be puppeted by enchantment later

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
How do illusions have actual destructive magic and fight each other????

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Can you hurt an illusion with an illusion? That would be interesting to explore, actually.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

Can you hurt an illusion with an illusion? That would be interesting to explore, actually.

An illusion can only be hurt by another illusion. And only other illusion users can see illusions

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Schubalts posted:

How do illusions have actual destructive magic and fight each other????

Because there's a dnd spell that does this:

project image posted:

If you desire, any spell you cast whose range is touch or greater can originate from the projected image instead of from you. The projected image can’t cast any spells on itself except for illusion spells. The spells affect other targets normally, despite originating from the projected image.

When something inexplicable like this happens and you don't recognize it from "green lantern" or "full metal alchemist brotherhood" or whatever, just assume that's how it works in dungeons and dragons and that'll usually square the circle.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Me, every time I see a page from the Mookster for the last fifteen years:

That dummy really just throws his stories into overdrive once he decides he's actually doing something. It's endless loving around, and then, BAM! Ending time. No stakes, no buildup. The end, no morals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Seeing this again in the context of the entire strip is making it clear how much of the big ultimate evil threat just sorta appeared as soon as Mookie decided he wanted to wrap things up. The king, the Beast, the Heart of Magic, none of this has been foreshadowed, it's all a massive rear end-pull that has nothing to do with anything.

the Beast has been around for a while but this is a sudden change in its and the king's MO. They were real subtle and staying under the radar and such and then WHOOPS, TIME TO WRAP THINGS UP and they're super blatant and open about what they're doing.