Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Lions defense was a top 10 defense in the league over the final ten games.

If they had forced one punt early in the year against the Seahawks, the Lions would’ve been in the playoffs last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gonz posted:

The Lions defense was a top 10 defense in the league over the final ten games.

If they had forced one punt early in the year against the Seahawks, the Lions would’ve been in the playoffs last season.

That play where the whistle blew but we didn't hear it so we thought it was an incomplete and then the Seahawks proceeded to get 50 and a TD on a draw on the next play will be burned into my memory forever. :shepface:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I am really excited to see how the defense does this year now that they have something approaching an actual secondary.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Did the Vikings win the division yet?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SirPablo posted:

Ya like nine months ago

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SirPablo posted:

Man, like, 21 times. We've been trying to call you, where've you been?!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SirPablo posted:

You know, that's an interesting thought now that I think of it. Which team improved the most this off-season? I wasn't impressed by the Vikings draft nor with their free agency moves. They lost more than they added (Dean Lowry lmao) IMO, and they already looked vulnerable before that.

I think they're still the Vegas betting favorites to take the division but this whole thing feels totally up in the air for anyone to grab it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

You know, that's an interesting thought now that I think of it. Which team improved the most this off-season? I wasn't impressed by the Vikings draft nor with their free agency moves. They lost more than they added (Dean Lowry lmao) IMO, and they already looked vulnerable before that.

I think they're still the Vegas betting favorites to take the division but this whole thing feels totally up in the air for anyone to grab it.

That's because none of these teams are actually good.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

Who did they lose that was irreplaceable? Maybe Duke Shelley, Za’Darius Smith, Calvin Tomlinson were above average.

SirPablo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 7, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bridgewater to Lions confirmed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

You know, that's an interesting thought now that I think of it. Which team improved the most this off-season?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well I think that puts THAT question to bed. :smug:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gotta be the bears or lions

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Somebody realized that Nate Sudfeld was a an XFL 2nd stringer quality QB.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Bears were so bad last year that it's gonna be really hard for them not to improve.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

Vikings biggest addition was a DC that actually knows what he’s doing

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lions are the best team.

Best offense and defense. Coolest and manliest head coach. Handsomest and smartest GM.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Bears were so bad last year that it's gonna be really hard for them not to improve.

I believe in them!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Man that's a huge relief.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

cool signing, hope he plays exactly 0 snaps unless and until the division title is secure

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

tinstaach posted:

cool signing, hope he plays exactly 0 snaps unless and until the division title is secure

Counterpoint: I hope he plays a healthy number of snaps in the second half of a 45-3 blowout win against, oh, let's say the Packers

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

My dad loved Shaun Hill, definitely gonna send this to him

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I think the Vikings still have a top 3 WR, fringe top 10 QB, fringe top 5 TE on the team, but I forget things sometimes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SirPablo posted:

I think the Vikings still have a top 3 WR, fringe top 10 QB, fringe top 5 TE on the team, but I forget things sometimes.

They had that last season too.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

They had that last season too.

Flores is going to result in a defense that isn't hit garbage, so hopefully they can have a decent record without the negative point differential.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Teddy does have sort of a similar head to Barry Sanders

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Teddy Bridgewater = JUST WIN BABAAYY LETS GO Lions RESTORED: THE ROAR Brought to you by Miller Lite!

All laffs and jokes aside he's the first legit backup the Lions have had since the Jon Kitna era

Has there been anyone since then??

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 8, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Teddy Bridgewater = JUST WIN BABAAYY LETS GO Lions RESTORED: THE ROAR Brought to you by Miller Lite!

All laffs and jokes aside he's the first legit backup the Lions have had since the Jon Kitna era

Has there been anyone since then??

The previously mentioned Shaun Hill was an excellent backup in the early Stafford days. Kitna era gave us Dan Orlovsky running out of the endzone.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shaun Hill was really good. Our 3rd string one year was Drew Stanton who i vaguely recall them beating Green Bay (maybe their super bowl year?) by 7-3.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Danny LaFever posted:

Shaun Hill was really good. Our 3rd string one year was Drew Stanton who i vaguely recall them beating Green Bay (maybe their super bowl year?) by 7-3.

Drew Stanton is the truth.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Packers first unofficial depth chart of 2023 going into the Cincinnati joint practice:

Couple things of note: Carrington Valentine gets first dibs on backup corner. Gaines appears to have been moved to corner from safety. Savage is still the starter at safety but given his play in camp so far I think that's at high risk. And, finally, Myers at C and Tom at RT. Guess they're not confident in Bakhtiari's ability to stay available so they'd prefer to have both Nijman/Tom at tackle to be able to rotate if needed.

Fullback 👀

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 8, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw the Bears version of that and I didn't see Darnell Mooney, is he still hurt?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The previously mentioned Shaun Hill was an excellent backup in the early Stafford days. Kitna era gave us Dan Orlovsky running out of the endzone.

Never forget that it was the 0-16 season and they lost by two that game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HootTheOwl posted:

I saw the Bears version of that and I didn't see Darnell Mooney, is he still hurt?

He's right there under the TEs

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Jenkins is the LG now?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, been that way since they got Nate Davis.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

He's right there under the TEs

whoopsie

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Giants beat writer said the lions beat the giants silly on both sides of the ball.

Hutchinson sounds like he's reached the next level.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Gibbs with two red zone TD catches, strokes chin thoughtfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Lions have a depth chart too...

https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers/status/1688933916160221184

...which I am posting to make two points:

- Sam LaPorta is absolutely TE1 on this team
- #43 D. Helm? oh yeah, you'll fit right in in Detroit, buddy