Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mordja posted:

Loved RDR2, but would playing the first game now feel like too much of a step back?

Honestly, it holds up pretty loving well. I found my Xbox 360 in a closet during covid and plugged it all in just to play RDR (and Viva Pinata), and it was a ton of fun. Just a little aged, and kinda...streamlined? compared to RDR2.

edit: I am famously easy to please by thread standards though, so, handscales

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mordja posted:

Loved RDR2, but would playing the first game now feel like too much of a step back?

It would not feel like much of a step back at all. The controls as a cover shooter are basically the same. It has little to none of the cowboy sim- systems, but the basic cover shooter gameplay is nearly identical between the two games. Cougars can kill you just as fast.

If you enjoyed RDR2 you will probably enjoy RDR1, the big difference is in the tone of the game. Not to say it's not overall somber like RDR2, but it has a lot more, I'm not sure of the right words to use, maybe silliness, sometimes juvenile, also meanness, that makes it closer in tone to the GTA games than RDR2.

edit: i cant remember what cowboy-sim systems there are. I think you can feed and take care of your horse and catch new ones, but I dont think you do things like clean your gun or have the crafting options of RDR2.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 7, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No PC version of RDR is loving bullshit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's rockstar they'll release it on PC one year after consoles like they always do

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

repiv posted:

it's rockstar they'll release it on PC one year after consoles like they always do
It's been 13 years already!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

With Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty, is the top down overhaul they keep touting going to affect the vanilla game for those who don’t buy it too?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Volte posted:

It's been 13 years already!!

People complain so much about bad PC ports these days but a company takes their time to do it right and people still complain.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Bad Seafood posted:

I somehow missed this but Potato Flowers in Full Bloom is on sale, and it's probably become my favorite dungeon crawler. It's a short and sweet 20-hour adventure with a cozy little diorama aesthetic and some deceptively thoughtful mechanics. The story's pretty simple (if you care about that sort of thing), but the presentation's charming enough. The world's in a bad way and your patron thinks potato seeds will save civilization. Go get 'em, tiger.

I don't see too many people talk about this game; it's just a nice time all around.
Seconding this one. It's a nice little dungeon crawler that strips out all of the bullshit and boils the rest down to its essence of meaningful party building, highly tactical battles, and exploring for secrets. I was pleasantly surprised by it, and for anyone on the fence, there's a pretty meaty demo that lets you bring your save into the full game.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Give me red dead revolver

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

With Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty, is the top down overhaul they keep touting going to affect the vanilla game for those who don’t buy it too?

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/cyberpunks-expansion-totally-overhauls-the-original-game/

quote:

it also totally overhauls the original game’s systems – and even base game owners will receive the updates.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

forget RDR, I want a Call of Juarez: Gunslinger remaster

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

forget RDR, I want a Call of Juarez: Gunslinger remaster

what’s there to remaster? the original is still on steam and looks and runs great. i’m playing it on deck

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Knoebelbroet/status/1688729359316557824?s=20

drat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Apparently the delay is caused by a misunderstanding between platforms trying to parse the Dave Meltzer character going,"So so so so so so so so so" as a looping dialogue glitch, as opposed to intentional writing. You hate to see it.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Bad Seafood posted:

I somehow missed this but Potato Flowers in Full Bloom is on sale, and it's probably become my favorite dungeon crawler. It's a short and sweet 20-hour adventure with a cozy little diorama aesthetic and some deceptively thoughtful mechanics. The story's pretty simple (if you care about that sort of thing), but the presentation's charming enough. The world's in a bad way and your patron thinks potato seeds will save civilization. Go get 'em, tiger.

I don't see too many people talk about this game; it's just a nice time all around.

Currently playing Grimrock 2: would this be similar to something like that? Or is this more of an Etrian Odyssey jam? Maybe Darkest Dungeon-ish? I know it's turn-based combat so it's not exactly like Grimrock, sure, but wondering what the general vibe is: any story at all or nothing, customizable party, are there puzzles and other activities, is it back-and-forth expeditions and supply logistics or just keep pushing forward, simple combat or complex, grindy or straight-forward, hand-crafted or random-generated, linear or multi-path, etc. Well, I'll keep an eye on it nonetheless.

EDIT:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Seconding this one. It's a nice little dungeon crawler that strips out all of the bullshit and boils the rest down to its essence of meaningful party building, highly tactical battles, and exploring for secrets. I was pleasantly surprised by it, and for anyone on the fence, there's a pretty meaty demo that lets you bring your save into the full game.

Oh ok that mostly answers that, and I guess I can just check out the demo and such after Grimrock is beaten!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 8, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Weedle posted:

what’s there to remaster?

The awful input.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FutureCop posted:

Currently playing Grimrock 2: would this be similar to something like that? Or is this more of an Etrian Odyssey jam? Maybe Darkest Dungeon-ish? I know it's turn-based combat so it's not exactly like Grimrock, sure, but wondering what the general vibe is: any story at all or nothing, customizable party, are there puzzles and other activities, is it back-and-forth expeditions and supply logistics or just keep pushing forward, simple combat or complex, grindy or straight-forward, hand-crafted or random-generated, linear or multi-path, etc. Well, I'll keep an eye on it nonetheless.
it's more like Etrian for sure

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Weedle posted:

what’s there to remaster? the original is still on steam and looks and runs great. i’m playing it on deck

we still need Silas to tell us what really happened

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

weird, i thought it was 15 years old but i guess it's 10

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Cruelty Squad gave me a killer motion sickness episode the likes of which I haven't had since Duke 3D (all build engine games make me sick to this day), which is a shame given it is 100% my poo poo gameplaywise.

CS is one of the few fps games that doesnt set it off for me. try playing in the lowest window size and work your way up?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think that getting motion sickness while playing Cruelty Squad would only enhance the intended experience.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is Cruelty Squad the RL version of 'The Pee that Took a Poo' where everybody talks about how amazing it is while vomiting every 30 seconds?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dunno how I missed Heavenly Bodies but it looks good. Kinda appears like this is Space QWOP.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Synthbuttrange posted:

try playing in the lowest window size and work your way up?

lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
cruelty squad has 2 options that aggravate motion sickness. Camera sway and bobbing should be off immediately if you’re prone to it.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

ZearothK posted:

That's 8 times the Witcher 3 and more than twice GTA V and Skyrim, BTW

Mind, it is a PC exclusive (for now) and PC gaming as a whole increased during the pandemic, but still, crazy numbers. I imagine PS5 sales are going to be good next month too, plus the eventual XBOX release later in the year.
Some of it is because they had existing players who bought in early access so it's not a 1:1 comparison for other AAA releases where everyone had to buy at launch, but it's still pretty drat impressive.

It was also smart of them to keep a lot of content out of the EA version, it got almost everyone who bought over the last ~3 years to jump on at once when it launched.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 8, 2023

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how polished is BG3? like would it be a good idea to wait a month for patches and fixes?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

FutureCop posted:

EDIT:

Oh ok that mostly answers that, and I guess I can just check out the demo and such after Grimrock is beaten!
It's an easier Etrian Odyssey with Grimrock's scope and focus. The problem I have with most dungeon crawlers is they tend to wear out their welcome. I enjoy Etrian Odyssey, but I've never beaten any of them. By contrast, Potato Flowers is very briskly paced. You can have up to three characters in your party who heal to full after every encounter (and receive experience even when they die), with MP acting as the limiting factor. There's a fun variety of skills and spells, many of which synergize well with each other, and the game is very free with its information. Enemies always broadcast their intentions and targets, with an optional explanation of what every ability does, and none of them are random, so you pick and choose your fights.

It's not an overly challenging game, but it has friction, and some solid boss fights. The whole thing feels like it was deliberately designed to mitigate the busywork aspect of a lot of dungeon crawlers while keeping the crunch.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

double nine posted:

how polished is BG3? like would it be a good idea to wait a month for patches and fixes?

More polished than you'd think. There are bugs and stuttering issues and the like, but given how complex the game is there's honestly much less of it compared to similar games smaller in scope from AAA developers.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

double nine posted:

If you can live without it for a month, I'd wait. There are some rare, but pretty major issues with some of the companion quests and their triggers that should be be fixed in an upcoming patch. There's also an issue where one of the companions will randomly vanish forever if they're not in your party.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AfricanBootyShine posted:

If you can live without it for a month, I'd wait. There are some rare, but pretty major issues with some of the companion quests and their triggers that should be be fixed in an upcoming patch. There's also an issue where one of the companions will randomly vanish forever if they're not in your party.

they just got tired of being ignored

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

RandomBlue posted:

they just got tired of being ignored

Yeah pretty accurate for a D&D party where one player misses a few sessions and then never returns.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

My wife and I are doing co-op and she's kind of disappointed over how the African ethnic faces for the women seem to all be on the dwarves and halflings. I consider this a patch priority.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

To my understanding it’s technically coming to Switch and PS4; it being playable on PS5 will be due to backwards comparability. But all of the news articles on it are specifically mentioning the two older consoles which, as many are already pointing out, is kind of weird

EDIT: https://www.gamesradar.com/red-dead-redemptions-switch-and-ps4-conversion-is-not-the-ps5-remake-fans-were-hoping-for/

it's a bit weird but maybe the hardware on these machines are simply the best understood. if the performance is good on the switch I will almost certainly get it, just so I can play cowboy wherever I want.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zapf Dingbat posted:

My wife and I are doing co-op and she's kind of disappointed over how the African ethnic faces for the women seem to all be on the dwarves and halflings. I consider this a patch priority.

It's funny, a friend of mine had a similar complaint but said they were only on Tieflings which annoyed her because she didn't want horns.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

double nine posted:

I've seen only sparse reports of crashes and bugs in the BG3. They just posted a patch that addresses some crashes and other things.

IMO play it now and then Starfield next month.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's funny, a friend of mine had a similar complaint but said they were only on Tieflings which annoyed her because she didn't want horns.

There's No Horns option for Tieflings.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sab669 posted:

I've seen only sparse reports of crashes and bugs in the BG3. They just posted a patch that addresses some crashes and other things.

IMO play it now and then Starfield next month.

I for one will play BG3 definitive enhanced goty all-DLC edition like 4-5 years from now when it's at a 75% sale, just as Gabe intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Kanfy posted:

I for one will play BG3 definitive enhanced goty all-DLC edition like 4-5 years from now when it's at a 75% sale, just as Gabe intended.

:hai: