Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The 7th Guest posted:

I want to try and grade on a curve because it's a nice looking film, because the work was written by someone who passed just 5 years ago from cancer (and likely wrote it specifically to leave something behind after her death) and so criticizing it feels weird, and I want to buy in because I think the heart is in the right place, and what it's trying to say is good for younger viewers to internalize... but I just can't buy in, myself

This is basically how I feel. I just couldn't gel with the whole like "change is good, change can be beautiful" stuff they were trying to do considering it was about this little girl's dad remarrying, relatively soon, after her mom dies. Like whether they intended it to feel this way or not (and judging from what you said about the writer, probably not), the movie kind of felt like the girl was being unreasonable to her dad and this new annoying kid and his mom for not being okay with the marriage or the situation as a whole. The movie really wants to hammer home to this girl that it's okay that things are different now, you have this whole new thing to look forward to. And in my view I'm like well no, she has every right to be upset about this new woman coming in, marring your dad, trying to do the cookie recipe (or having her own I can't remember specifics now, I just remember extremely not liking that bit) and also the brother who keeps being like HI I'M YOUR NEW BROTHER YOU'RE MY NEW SISTER. Like drat, I would want to get away from that kid too. And so the movie for me really felt like it made every other character in her life seem super lovely and not understanding, even with the new wife trying to be nice and sweet.

I'm sure some of this is colored by being someone whose parents divorce when I was a kid, and the stepdad I dealt with, while not physically abusive, was kind of a piece of poo poo. And like now obviously in my adult life I can see that it's good that my parents split up, but as a kid that poo poo sucks and change wasn't good, and change wasn't beautiful. Plus man it really felt like the dad rushed this, seemingly surprising his daughter with this horrible news of a new stepmom and it really didn't make me sympathize with him at all. Absolutely agree with this part of your post:

quote:

So when suddenly her father is now bringing a new person home, and this woman's kid (Chin) is suddenly bouncing all around the house saying that you're going to be his new sister... it's a lot to suddenly be confronted with, and Fei Fei is justified in being upset -- there's a clear lack of communication from her father and it feels like no one is in her corner, and you want to jump into the film and shout on her behalf.

This is how I felt 100%

I feel like your enjoyment of this movie is going to depend a lot on how you see her whole family situation and the "change can be good" messaging as it relates to you. The songs were alright. The dog's song was decent, and the pop song the moon goddess sings ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I felt kind of bad for Chin because he was doing his best. Certainly he can be overbearing at times and lack a bit of empathy for how his new sister must be feeling and how weird it must be to potentially have a stepbrother all of a sudden, but he's a literal child so you have to allow for certain behavioural issues because he's still learning how to be a person. When it becomes clear what his sister needs to do he does everything in his power and beyond to make that happen.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Elemental's now made $423.7M worldwide, it has probably finally broken even, just in time for it to hit streaming on the 15th and rake in the actual profits. It's also passed Sing 2 on the 2020s chart, and is 69th all-time (nice).

TMNT has made $51M in its opening week which is pretty good, only had a $70M budget so it'll be a good success for Paramount

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 6, 2023

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

70M is actually way below what I would have imagined. The movie genuinely looks and sounds amazing. I looked up The Last Wish and AtSV for comparison just to see if I was way off base, and I was kind of surprised they both only topped out at around 100M. I think modern movie budgets have kind of broken my brain, because those all seem small for the products we got.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lupin III: The First (2020), despite its title, is not an origin story (one that the franchise has already done multiple times), but it does share a lot in common with other Lupin TV specials. You could basically think of this as a big budget CGI Greatest Hits compilation of Lupin story beats and character moments.

Like other specials have done, it involves Lupin & the gang adding a plucky 18-20 year old woman to their gang who has a personal connection to the target of their thievery. It also pits Lupin against a rising Nazi resurgence, so this essentially doubles as an Indiana Jones movie. There's a temple full of traps, a mysterious locking device with missing key pieces, there's an airplane dogfight, there's even a brief appearance of a certain you-know-who... OR IS THERE??? You'll just have to find out.

This is a fun movie, with a lot of great cartoony animation and some big set pieces. It's not a necessary new addition to the Lupin canon... if you're a big Lupin fan you have seen these elements before in past Lupin films and specials, just all brought together here. It's also not big on caper, as the majority of the film involves a race to a secret technology and you don't get a lot of heisty shenanigans, though you do get plenty of Lupin's patented sleight of hand and disguises. Letitia, the new character for this story, gets the primary spotlight, with Lupin a close second. Zenigata gets some fun moments, Fujiko is played perfectly and pretty much does her own thing most of the time as you would expect, and Goemon gets one really great character moment in the film... although Goemon and Jigen don't get the amount of screentime that I'd have liked. This sometimes happens with Lupin films/specials and it's a shame, since with a 90 minute runtime you'd think there'd be some room to give, but the villains get a bit too much focus in my opinion.

In particular the grandfather and project leader for the Nazi/mercenaries, Professor Lambert is a baffling character. He is presented as pure evil and ruthless and sociopathic as you would expect, and he is cruel to Letitia in several scenes... and then for some mystifying reason they try to humanize him and make him care about her actually and he's always wanted to support her... only to later make him pure evil again. I don't know what they were trying to accomplish there and I feel like he maybe should have been offed by his right-hand man Girard much earlier in the film... Girard steps into the Final Villain role wayyy too late into the story.

Not much else to say, it's a fun way to kill an afternoon. I'll talk about Marza Animation Planet I guess. I was curious to see what else they've made, given the high quality look of this film. Well, Marza is a studio that for years was a video game cutscene house, doing the CG cutscenes for games like Virtual Fighter 5, Resonance of Fate, the Hatsune Miku Project DIVA series, and the Sonic the Hedgehog series including the infamous Sonic 06. It wasn't until 2013 when they produced their first film with Toei, a CG Captain Harlock film. From that to Kingsglaive FFXV to RE Vendetta, this film is definitely a stylistic departure. But that is likely because of the differences between how films are made in America and how films are made in Japan. The director & writer, Takashi Yamazaki, also directed and wrote the screenplay for Dragon Quest: Your Story, and the Stand By Me Doraemon films, and I know at least DQ is a more polarizing film so I'll be curious to watch it and draw a comparison at some point. 3.5/5

e: if this is annoying btw let me know. I've still got a lot of films to see. another 8 films from 2022 (Entergalactic, Fireheart, Rescue Rangers, My Father's Dragon, Bob's Burgers, The House, Lightyear, Drifting Home), 15 films from 2021 (films like Summit of the Gods, Inu-oh, Wish Dragon, Rumble), and then some scattered films from earlier (a fair amount of it anime films).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 6, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm a little astonished how many new animated features that you've covered I hadn't heard of, so by all means continue.

I had seen Lupin 3: the 1st, though. Mostly agree with your take, especially in regards to the villain.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I'm enjoying the reviews so far!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The 7th Guest posted:

Elemental's now made $423.7M worldwide, it has probably finally broken even, just in time for it to hit streaming on the 15th and rake in the actual profits.

How do they make any more money from it just because it's available on D+?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Speaking of unpopular movies, I've always loved the Croods movies because they are funny but also have strong themes, Grugg's major arc through the first movie is learning to let people help him but also to be willing to help others in return. Before the End of Pangaea begins in the movie, there is a brilliantly shot hunting scene where the family are trying to take possession of an egg for their breakfast (which may also be the family's only meal for the day) but everyone involved in the chase is of equal intelligence, the family just don't allow themselves to see the other opponents as equals because they need to make the survival of their own family their priority. The scene is actually a fight between three families for survival, the single parent of the bird trying to protect her egg, the Croods trying to take it so that they can feed themselves and the group of linked-tailed weasel things trying to do the same. The Croods and the Weasels are both using their own advantages to great effect and both playing very intelligently, and by the time Grugg learns his lesson at the end of the movie of accepting Guy as a member of the family and trusting his family to survive without him, and in doing so starting to expand his view of what constitutes "his pack", the expansion does include the animals in his path. No longer are they just in the way as he finally comes up with his own viable Idea, proving to himself and Guy that they are not as different as they initially thought, he is now seeing them as equals, lost loners trying to survive the end of the world just like he has become, and so he lets them ALL in. His pack not only expands but doubles in size as he brings the animals into his guardianship, and while only a few stick around for the sequel that also fits his arc because maybe they just had other priorities after surviving and he's not fine with that.

The arc is also continued into the sequel when he admits that he doesn't like Mr Betterman (to his face) but then admits that "Well, I don't know you very well, I probably just have to give you more time." - he's willing to expand further and let the Bettermans in, but their passive aggression is getting in the way and they just aren't vibing together. That moment really shows how well he's internalised his lesson from the first movie.

Also a mistake that both Guy and the Bettermans make is that they take for granted the idea that they are smart and the Croods are dumb but also that they are WEAK and the Croods are STRONG (ideas that Eep and Dawn reject as they view each other as on equal footing). Both families take those ideas for granted, and both are wrong. The Bettermans physically can be just as strong as the Croods and use that in the finale (which is also predicated on a severe intellectual blind spot and boneheaded move on the Bettermans' part) and the Croods are just as smart as the Bettermans in their own way in that they notice when they are being taken advantage of or condescended to, and have a better grasp of priorities.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lol that it's driftingmouse defending mrbeast

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

~Coxy posted:

How do they make any more money from it just because it's available on D+?
Because it’ll also be available to rent/purchase like every other Disney/Pixar film, on VOD, Apple, Google Play, Vudu, Amazon, etc

That’s how Encanto survived flopping in theaters (or barely breaking even, depending on which of the reported budgets was accurate)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 7, 2023

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Das Boo posted:

You know what? I would love to see an unnerving animal sidekick that startles everyone and might be nefarious. Standing in doorways, showing up in impossible spaces, taking down minor threats through its presence alone... You could even have a part in the climactic fight where the sidekick scares the villain into dropping the macguffin.

It's a fun idea.

"Ain't that your horse?"

"That is no one's horse."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, Becky Apples wasn't nefarious, she was just openly extremely bloodthirsty.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, Becky Apples wasn't nefarious, she was just openly extremely bloodthirsty.

Also a gorgeous prancing shmuck :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

if this is annoying btw let me know. I've still got a lot of films to see. another 8 films from 2022 (Entergalactic, Fireheart, Rescue Rangers, My Father's Dragon, Bob's Burgers, The House, Lightyear, Drifting Home), 15 films from 2021 (films like Summit of the Gods, Inu-oh, Wish Dragon, Rumble), and then some scattered films from earlier (a fair amount of it anime films).

it's not!!!!

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I like the reviews. I don't always agree, because what the gently caress Monsters Inc slaps, but they're well written and have solid views behind them which is what you really need to drive discussion for media that probably wouldn't get it otherwise, which is the main reason I like this thread.

My only suggestion would be to watch something good soon. Seems like you've been wading through a lot of garbage lately. That can't be good for you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lupin was pretty fun, I didn't have an issue with that. I'm probably going to be watching How to Train Your Dragon next, and then in terms of good western films in my backlog there's The House on Netflix, Mad God on Shudder, Finding Dory on Disney+, and My Father's Dragon on Netflix which is by Cartoon Saloon (Wolfwalkers).

i have the films in a google doc with a tier number indicating my level of interest and those are all mostly tier-2 films. tier 3 is films like Bob's Burgers Movie, Storks, DC League of Super-pets. and then tier 4's got a lot of films with mixed reviews or just low visibility.... Rumble, Seal Team, Ferdinand, Lightyear, and.... 2009 Astro Boy :twisted:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Don’t forget Rango if you haven’t already.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I will literally always go to bat for Storks. I loved that movie

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

Don’t forget Rango if you haven’t already.
oh yea I've seen Rango, years ago. it slaps

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
every needle drop in Mutant Mayhem is better than the ones in Guardians 3

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Macaluso posted:

Criminally undervalued movie, imo.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

I saw mutant mayhem today with my 8 year old, and I had watched the 2012 animated series with her a couple years back over a period of time and we bonded over that and going to see this was a lot of fun especially since my old rear end was into it as a kid and I had the pizza shooting van toy etc, thought it was awesome

Between Spider-Man, puss in boots, turtles, I’m really loving these art styles in animation as a just a person who knows nothing about film or animation

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly it's great seeing the big films moving away from the Dreamworks/Disney/Pixar style

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea thank god.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Nimona was an absolutely wonderful movie

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Macaluso posted:

Really?? I skipped it because it looked… well…

So it’s good?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So it’s good?

It has Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key voicing very ridiculous antagonist.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Electric Phantasm posted:

It has Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key voicing very ridiculous antagonist.

Wendell & Wild?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

What's the low end of the age range that would like TMNT? I have two weeks off at the end of August and if there's a washout day I might take Mini Boat to see it - I showed him the trailer and he said it looked cool. He's almost 5 and recently loved Nimona so he is okay with PG films, the fact that it's 90 minutes is a big plus as well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So it’s good?

I'm not gonna say it's on the same level as like Spiderverse or Puss in Boots 2, but it's pretty funny and I enjoyed the animation a lot. The climax is wild

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

There's some pretty gnarly body horror elements in the climax. If he's good with standard scary kid stuff he'll probably be alright, but it would have freaked me out a little as a kid.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Party Boat posted:

What's the low end of the age range that would like TMNT? I have two weeks off at the end of August and if there's a washout day I might take Mini Boat to see it - I showed him the trailer and he said it looked cool. He's almost 5 and recently loved Nimona so he is okay with PG films, the fact that it's 90 minutes is a big plus as well.

I took my 5 year old who also loves Nimona to it and he had a great time.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The 7th Guest posted:

Dan Fogelman, who co-wrote the screenplay, would later create Galavant (not a hit but a cult favorite) ...

This is not relevant to the animation thread but someone mentioned Galavant so in case someone hasn't seen it I have to say that everyone should watch Galavant. It's a medieval fantasy musical comedy series with music and lyrics by Menken and Slater. It is spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnDwM0RSX4

S2E1 was called "Suck It, Cancellation Bear," which is probably my favorite episode title ever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Enemabag Jones posted:

There's some pretty gnarly body horror elements in the climax. If he's good with standard scary kid stuff he'll probably be alright, but it would have freaked me out a little as a kid.

Body horror?? Are we talking about it the same movie?

Edit: you were talking about TMNT, not Storks :lol:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Macaluso posted:

Body horror?? Are we talking about it the same movie?

I thiiink he meant TMNT , but I have not seen either so I cannot say for sure!!!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Good to know thanks everyone! I think he'll be okay, he wasn't scared by the Wolf in Puss in Boots. On the way home from that (concerned about nightmares) I said the Wolf was scary but it was a fun scary because it was just pretend. He said "it's okay daddy, I'll protect you from the Wolf".

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Boxman posted:

This is not relevant to the animation thread but someone mentioned Galavant so in case someone hasn't seen it I have to say that everyone should watch Galavant. It's a medieval fantasy musical comedy series with music and lyrics by Menken and Slater. It is spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnDwM0RSX4

S2E1 was called "Suck It, Cancellation Bear," which is probably my favorite episode title ever.

seconding this, galavant loving rules, an absolutely breezy watch with several solid earworms

mystes
May 31, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Good to know thanks everyone! I think he'll be okay, he wasn't scared by the Wolf in Puss in Boots. On the way home from that (concerned about nightmares) I said the Wolf was scary but it was a fun scary because it was just pretend. He said "it's okay daddy, I'll protect you from the Wolf".
Everyone loves the death wolf, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Death Wolf is one of the coolest characters in an animated movie in years

I mean come on

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 8, 2023