Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Anyone can try to file a lawsuit any time they want, but there's no guarantee that a court would give it the time of day.

Yeah I remember I heard that before this lawsuit too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I remember I heard that before this lawsuit too

If they meant to ask "Is the Supreme Court going to overturn IDR", I would have answered that question*. Instead, they asked "is someone going to sue", and that's the question I answered.

*The answer, since I know that's what you're really getting at, is "probably not, but who knows?". Income-based repayment is completely different from loan forgiveness, and has plenty of precedent given that it's been around for over a decade and has been expanded by executive order multiple times already. The courts can rule whatever they want, but opposing loan forgiveness doesn't necessarily mean they'll think IBR expansion is too far.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's pretty obviously what they meant, I doubt they were simply wondering whether any lawyers are still capable of filing paperwork with a court.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i think the reasoning was because of using the covid law, so if biden uses the heavy hammer of the executive i think it'd be kosher. i just wouldn't expect him to

Then heighten the contradictions.

At the very least tie it up in courts like the GOP is always willing and able to do.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Tying it up in courts doesn't help if they're not also going to extend the payment pause.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1674870341636612098?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

I have no idea what this means

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Plan B.

It might require more legal wrangling to justify, but it could work. Until the next 6-3 decision from our sovereign overlords, that is.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

OAquinas posted:

Plan B.

It might require more legal wrangling to justify, but it could work. Until the next 6-3 decision from our sovereign overlords, that is.

It looks like there's a bunch of poo poo about having to form a committee, get public feedback, and then develop the final plan (which is probably why Biden wasn't able to just say "gently caress it, exact same amount of debt forgiveness but through the HEA", as that would provide evidence that public feedback wasn't utilized).

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Isn’t this literally what Bernie said d to do all the dens shouted as our in the sky impossible?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Isn’t this literally what Bernie said d to do all the dens shouted as our in the sky impossible?

I think Warren was the one who was talking about going this route. It will be much more of a pain in the rear end, though.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
in all honestly i don't see how this doesn't get the same "whoa dude that's way too much money to spend without the input of congress" today's 6-3 decision got

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

There's more than one law that allows the executive branch some authority to modify or forgive student loans. The executive order that was struck down today was technically based on the authority granted by only one of those laws. So now Biden is doing another executive order to forgive student debt, based on another one of those laws.

Practically speaking, it's just a do-over, with little expectation that anything will change. The same entities that sued to block the one before are going to sue again to block this one, the courts are going to issue an injunction just like they did on the first one, and it's inevitably going to make its way up to the Supreme Court who will almost certainly overrule this new one on exactly the same grounds they used to overrule the last one. The only real difference is that this one is a more annoying and time-consuming process with more hoops to jump through.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So instead of a pause, it’s a forbearance, except that in reality you just don’t pay and hope no one ever comes back and requires a retroactive credit impact. God drat, this country…

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

If the opposition can just throw poo poo against the wall until it sticks, the Executive should, too.

That’s what I think too.

gently caress em forgive it again with a different justification. That and make it happen before they can rule in it next time.

They have a problem with it again. Do it loving again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Craig K posted:

in all honestly i don't see how this doesn't get the same "whoa dude that's way too much money to spend without the input of congress" today's 6-3 decision got

If they cared about that they would have passed a forgiveness law in the first place when they controlled congress.

It's a political move at this point, show the people that Biden is trying everything he still can and the court is stopping them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

There's more than one law that allows the executive branch some authority to modify or forgive student loans. The executive order that was struck down today was technically based on the authority granted by only one of those laws. So now Biden is doing another executive order to forgive student debt, based on another one of those laws.

Practically speaking, it's just a do-over, with little expectation that anything will change. The same entities that sued to block the one before are going to sue again to block this one, the courts are going to issue an injunction just like they did on the first one, and it's inevitably going to make its way up to the Supreme Court who will almost certainly overrule this new one on exactly the same grounds they used to overrule the last one. The only real difference is that this one is a more annoying and time-consuming process with more hoops to jump through.

Yeah this was my initial concern with the post I made most recently about someone suing this and gumming it all up. I know extremely little about politics or law but it just seems like standing doesn’t really matter and if you dislike something enough, you can take advantage of a 6-3 court and sue enough times until someone gives you an audience before them?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

buglord posted:

Yeah this was my initial concern with the post I made most recently about someone suing this and gumming it all up. I know extremely little about politics or law but it just seems like standing doesn’t really matter and if you dislike something enough, you can take advantage of a 6-3 court and sue enough times until someone gives you an audience before them?

I mean they just ruled in favor of a lady who complete lied about being made up having to make a gay website and didn’t want to, know it was a fake story, so yeah basically they’ll shop out a lawsuit to some chud judge to get it kicked up to the SCOTUS so the judges owned by conservative billionaires will rule whatever they want

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Here's something I don't really understand re: PSLF. I'm currently in the IBR plan and only about 1 year away from being able to apply for forgiveness. It looks like my payment will likely drop a fair amount because of the new calculation rules but it could go lower if I switch to REPAYE. I'm seeing it in some places that the REPAYE plan payments will count toward PSLF but others that say it won't? I would like to get a smaller monthly payment to grind out this last year but I don't want to jeopardize how close I am to finishing, especially since my ticket comes due the literal last month of the Biden admin and don't want some Republican loving with my forgiveness.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zoph posted:

Here's something I don't really understand re: PSLF. I'm currently in the IBR plan and only about 1 year away from being able to apply for forgiveness. It looks like my payment will likely drop a fair amount because of the new calculation rules but it could go lower if I switch to REPAYE. I'm seeing it in some places that the REPAYE plan payments will count toward PSLF but others that say it won't? I would like to get a smaller monthly payment to grind out this last year but I don't want to jeopardize how close I am to finishing, especially since my ticket comes due the literal last month of the Biden admin and don't want some Republican loving with my forgiveness.

I was on REPAYE when I qualified for PSLF so it is definitely an eligible plan.

MGDRAGOON
May 28, 2003

What you say!?!

Zoph posted:

I had similar questions about repayment plans, as many of my federal loans were on old plans that previously did not qualify for PSLF but became eligible with the expanded forgiveness. I called the servicer (which I think was FedLoan? I'm not sure at this point, I've blocked out as many of those memories as I can) and they were actually really helpful in figuring out how to get the previous payments applied directly and I got forgiveness way sooner that I originally expected. If I had been making payments during the pandemic I likely would've gotten a refund.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Is there any chance of the pause being extended again?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pencilhands posted:

Is there any chance of the pause being extended again?

Biden signed legislation last month that specifically made it illegal to extend the pause again so unless Republicans agree to pass another law restoring that power, there is no chance.

That's why his "on-ramp" to repayment is very explicitly not another pause.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

VitalSigns posted:

Biden signed legislation last month that specifically made it illegal to extend the pause again so unless Republicans agree to pass another law restoring that power, there is no chance.

That's why his "on-ramp" to repayment is very explicitly not another pause.

drat. Today sucks :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Phone posting so sorry for the lack of formatting

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...loan-borrowers/

“Forgive loan balances after 10 years of payments, instead of 20 years, for borrowers with original loan balances of $12,000 or less. The Department estimates that this reform will allow nearly all community college borrowers to be debt-free within 10 years”

So does this mean, no matter how low I bring down my balance (15k currently), I’ll never get my loans automatically forgiven based on time because they were above 12k at some point? My first federal loan was dispensed in 2014, last in 2017, so I’m curious what it all means, or if I’m being too hopeful here.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
The Republican student loan counterproposal does have a provision that would selfishly benefit me more than the Biden plan: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/house-republicans-introduce-student-loan-debt-plan-rcna89554

quote:

The Federal Assistance to Initiate Repayment Act, led by Republicans on the House Education and Workforce Committee, would provide “targeted” student loan relief for borrowers who “already paid back more than they originally owed taxpayers in principal and interest," streamline several existing income-driven repayment plans into one system and give borrowers in default another chance to rehabilitate their loans.

I don't think this will pass either (and I don't think it's in good faith), but the idea of converting interest to principal payments seems like it might be a basis for a compromise.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/31/how-to-apply-for-bidens-new-save-student-loan-repayment-plan.html

SAVE application is up for testing.

https://studentaid.gov/idr/

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Posting a quick question here in case anyone has any prior experience or insight.

For PSLF re-certification, is there a firm limit on how frequently you have to re-certify your employment? I ask because I originally applied in late October '22 and had my application approved. The student loans website recommends re-certifying annually (i.e. October '23 in my case) however I will actually meet the full 120 payments in November or December '23.

Basically, just wondering if there's any problem with waiting until November/December to re-certify instead of doing so in October. I need to call Mohela to confirm for sure, just asking here out of curiosity.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Illusive Man posted:

Posting a quick question here in case anyone has any prior experience or insight.

For PSLF re-certification, is there a firm limit on how frequently you have to re-certify your employment? I ask because I originally applied in late October '22 and had my application approved. The student loans website recommends re-certifying annually (i.e. October '23 in my case) however I will actually meet the full 120 payments in November or December '23.

Basically, just wondering if there's any problem with waiting until November/December to re-certify instead of doing so in October. I need to call Mohela to confirm for sure, just asking here out of curiosity.

You can submit as frequently or infrequently as you'd like. There are no requirements to certify, it'll just make final approval faster if you periodically certify.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Trying to wrap my head around the new interest subsidization under SAVE:

quote:

the proposed rule would fully cover the borrower’s unpaid monthly interest, so that – unlike with current income-driven repayment plans – a borrower’s loan balance will not grow so long as they are making their required monthly payments

So, before the payment pause, my required payment was $400 a month on autopay, and then I was throwing another $100 or so each paycheck to cover the accruing interest for the month so that the $400 would always go to the principal. Does this new rule mean that if I make the monthly required payment (whatever that will be under SAVE's 5% discretionary income limit; I don't know yet), interest won't accrue? That seems too generous to be right.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Now there is a lawsuit to stop the implementation of the new income driven plan, courtesy of the ghouls at the Cato Institute. The plan is on much more solid legal ground than the forgiveness was, correct?

Edit: I misunderstood the article, the thing being challenged was the forgiveness they gave certain people by counting missed payments as payments. I'm not sure what that means for the rest of the plan.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 5, 2023

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

buglord posted:

Phone posting so sorry for the lack of formatting

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...loan-borrowers/

“Forgive loan balances after 10 years of payments, instead of 20 years, for borrowers with original loan balances of $12,000 or less. The Department estimates that this reform will allow nearly all community college borrowers to be debt-free within 10 years”

So does this mean, no matter how low I bring down my balance (15k currently), I’ll never get my loans automatically forgiven based on time because they were above 12k at some point? My first federal loan was dispensed in 2014, last in 2017, so I’m curious what it all means, or if I’m being too hopeful here.

My read is that they would be automatically forgiven after 20 years instead of 10.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Are the adjustments to the discretionary income calculations going to be applied to the existing plans beyond REPAYE and SAVE? I can't really jump over to REPAYE because of my spouse income, it seems, and MOHELA is showing that my monthly payment IBR amount from way back in 2020 is coming due. Are they just slow getting the figures updated, or should I expect to pay the same amount soon?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Zoph posted:

Are the adjustments to the discretionary income calculations going to be applied to the existing plans beyond REPAYE and SAVE? I can't really jump over to REPAYE because of my spouse income, it seems, and MOHELA is showing that my monthly payment IBR amount from way back in 2020 is coming due. Are they just slow getting the figures updated, or should I expect to pay the same amount soon?

The 5% discretionary doesn't happen until next yeae sometime so even if you get on a SAVE plan it will be 10% discretionary for awhile. Not sure what you mean by make too much for repaye though? Worst case scenario on repaye is you pay your normal loan terms but there's no income limit. They just need to be direct loans not in default; perhaps yours are too old for it? If so you can consolidate into a new loan that does qualify. Apparently all repaye plans will be automatically turned to save plans too.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I'm talking about the change in how it's calculated, i.e., raised to 225% of federal poverty guidelines.

I should call them up, but my understanding is that REPAYE calculates off of both your income and your spouse's, regardless of tax filing status, while my IBR plan calculates off mine alone. We have been filing separately for the last couple years to keep the monthly payment down until I complete PSLF at the end of next year.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Zoph posted:

I'm talking about the change in how it's calculated, i.e., raised to 225% of federal poverty guidelines.

I should call them up, but my understanding is that REPAYE calculates off of both your income and your spouse's, regardless of tax filing status, while my IBR plan calculates off mine alone. We have been filing separately for the last couple years to keep the monthly payment down until I complete PSLF at the end of next year.

I'm in the same boat as you and I took a look at the calculator. For us IBR is lower than REPAYE, but SAVE would be lower than IBR, but won't be available until July 24 so there is no reason to recertify REPAYE. IBR and SAVE don't count spouse income if you MFS, but REPAYE does.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh lookie there:

https://www.career.org/uploads/7/8/1/1/78110552/order_granting_appellant%E2%80%99s_opposed_motion_for_injunction_pending_appeal8-7-23.pdf

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Just had a bit over $12k in old consolidated loans wiped. Dark Brandon taking care of his people.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Guess I’m just gonna pay 600/mo for the foreseeable future because I wanted to study medicine and help people.

Cool.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are there any other benefits to the SAVE plan, if lower monthy payments aren't one of them?

I'm on a graduated repayment plan and currently my monthly payments (once they restart in Oct) are $138. Avg interest rate is 3.9% across 15.3k. When I use the loan estimator on StudentAid.gov, SAVE is giving me payment projections of $268-358?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If your payments don't cover the interest then unpaid interest is forgiven under the SAVE plan instead of being added to your balance, but with a loan balance of only 15k that's probably not going to apply to you.