Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Episode was a lot of fun. Enjoyed the legwork to get to a 3-dimensional shootout and how it let limbo save the day.

"Son your spine!"
"I get it from my dad. Also I got run over."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol at Bender not listening to his own song and Roberto's knifegun

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"taint worth melting down" was a great line. I feel like they lampshade the jokes a bit more. Like Doge City could have been a background joke and Bender only needed to say "burrow" once

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I liked the Doge City bit, because again that falls into the category where 10 years from now when you're forcing your kid to watch Futurama they 100% will not even know that that's a joke.

Most people have at least heard of "cryptocurrency" and or Bitcoin specifically, many will not have heard of Dogecoin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also enjoyed:

"The planet Klerg* was destroyed, killing all 50 billion inhabitants."
"Ahahahaha, anyway, you know what's back?"
"The planet Klerg!?!"

* I know it wasn't "Klerg" but I couldn't remember the name v:shobon:v

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really hated this one. Everyone is slightly dumber and meaner than normal, the jokes are tepid, the plot is a mess, and the "what if crypto was the old west" premise has like 0.5 legs. It's no The Butterjunk Effect, but it's tough going.

Particularly hated Amy slut-shaming Leela and then Leela asking for ideas on "how to make my outfit sluttier". You just did an episode where they bond, sorta! Why are we going to these Girls Are Catty non-jokes?

The whole Fry/Leela subplot was also real bad. Leela instantly recognises the Borax Kid as a conman, then starts flirting with him on an incredibly thin premise, then Fry's revelation is that the Kid's books aren't based on real events, which Leela already knew and told him but then forgot herself somehow.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, episode was fine for the most part, certainly better than last week.

I think my favorite joke was "It's a good thing we brought the oxen.... usually we don't."

I did like this joke, though!

Blind Pineapple posted:

Fry was in mid 20s when he was frozen, so he'd be about 48. It's never stated, but because of their connection I assume Leela is about the same age.

Amy was a recent college grad in Season 1, so she's 45-ish.

I can't remember the Professor's exact age, but there's a first run episode about him hitting a cutoff age where he would be shipped off to a big box "nursing home" planet. I think he was like 160-170, so he's pushing 200 now.

Hermes never gets an exact age, but given his career bureaucrat status and teenage son, he'd probably be about 20-25 years older than Fry/Leela/Amy. If I could remember what Olympics he competed at, that would narrow it down even more. So he's approaching retirement age by 21st century standards at least.

Bender and Zoidberg don't have the same aging conventions, although they each have some dedicated backstory episodes.

Anyways, you always have the tar pit plot device they introduced in Season 3 or 4 to keep them looking the same, it's the mental/soical/emotional growth that matters.

I think Leela's Homeworld gives a jokey broad number on Leela's age, I forget the exact line but it's something like "twenty-something years ago" referring to when Leela was born.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
This should be a episode that could've noted something that Fry would've had absolutely no clue about due to being frozen before its creation but instead it's mostly LOL Wild West jokes (a genre I loathe).

Hell, The Simpsons did a episode spoofing the film Westworld. Futurama could done it for the TV series.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I liked the callback to "though I am already in my pyjamas"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

A bunch of old western jokes, was a pretty decent idea for an episode. Doing Bitcoin jokes in 2023 is just :wtf:. But I guess they probably wrote some of these episodes a couple years ago at this point...

In general, the premise was promising. But nearly every joke was flat for me. Fry mistaking a brothel for a soup kitchen was the only one I liked since it's a play on words I've never heard before.

I think it would have worked a lot better if they had gone to a westworld style park and done old west gags in that context. Then they could parody a different thing that's out of date to make fun of, but less so.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lister posted:

In general, the premise was promising. But nearly every joke was flat for me. Fry mistaking a brothel for a soup kitchen was the only one I liked since it's a play on words I've never heard before.

I think it would have worked a lot better if they had gone to a westworld style park and done old west gags in that context. Then they could parody a different thing that's out of date to make fun of, but less so.

The whole way through I was thinking, just have them do the old west if all your plots are "what if character was in the old west". You can do time travel or a Planet of the Cowboys or whatever, but boy this bitcoin stuff is thin on the ground.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Ooooold West

Wasn't the worst episode ever. Though I didn't get all the bitcoin jokes (I don't know what etherium is, and I'd like to keep it that way), and Dwight's 3d model looked hilariously jank

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I feel like a 4th cancellation isn't too far off.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This is bad. Sorry.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't know enough about animation to say this with authority, but it sure seems like the writing is fine (not great, but fine) and it's the direction and editing that suck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dwight still being a kid is just confusing with the previous episode being about something that happened 20 years ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just randomly remembered from an older episode "You haven't seen the last of Barbados Slim! Now goodbye.... FOREVER!" and had a good laugh, and I hope it gives you all one too :)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

I don't know enough about animation to say this with authority, but it sure seems like the writing is fine (not great, but fine) and it's the direction and editing that suck.

For me it’s a little of both. There are moments where the writing seems fine, and others where it feels like an AI generated script. The direction is definitely off though and there’s no snappiness or energy to any of it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Why were Bender and Roberto back in the server prison at the end? Animation error?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I laughed a few times at "glad we brought the oxen, we usually don't," i'd sporadically remember the line throughout the episode and laugh at it again. Sure wish there had been a second good joke.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Generally this is a show that's best at its most ambitious and so far all of these episodes have been super low-key.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It seemed weird that they remembered The Borax Kid as a character, but seemingly forgot that the crew had met him several times before. And like a poster said above about Doge city, I miss when that would have just been a quick background joke that I'd pick up on a second viewing. Episodes used to be packed with text jokes in the background and now they just jab you in the ribs and say the joke to make sure you see it.

Nichael posted:

Why were Bender and Roberto back in the server prison at the end? Animation error?

That is weird, because I don't think the robot mafia was even in that shot. Maybe they forgot to get a new one drawn so they just used one they already had. If I was a bigger nerd, I'd head to a comic con or PAX or something and do a comic book nerd style "I hope someone got fired over that blunder" type joke.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
That was probably the best episode of the season so far, with all the damning with faint praise that implies. I'm always a sucker for making fun of crypto but also this already felt a bit dated as I was watching so I have to imagine it'd age like milk. Also I've had 3 episodes to evaluate now, it's understandable given the passage of time but I'm pretty sure Hermes sounds notably different now, yeah?

The brothel joke probably gave me the biggest laugh of the episode though

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
That was absolute and utter dogshit. The other two at least tied together even if they weren't very good. This felt like a modern Family Guy where they've got a few joke ideas that they tie together with the roughest story and every single character is just there to try and make those jokes.
Proper and complete poo poo.

I'd even compare it to modern day Simpsons, it feels so random now

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Just randomly remembered from an older episode "You haven't seen the last of Barbados Slim! Now goodbye.... FOREVER!" and had a good laugh, and I hope it gives you all one too :)

One of my all time favorite Futurama lines:

“Barbados Slim! Last I heard, you were in Barbados!”

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Generally this is a show that's best at its most ambitious and so far all of these episodes have been super low-key.

Hmm, I'd say my favourite episodes of the classic run weren't really ambitious, they were usually more low key. When I think ambitious and Futurama I think of the movies where they had all the minor characters showing up, a plot stretched over 4 episodes but kinda not really justifying it and then some quite well animated but pretty frivolous action scenes (mainly thinking of the space battle at the end of the first one there, the others don't have anything like that but it has been 10+ years since I watched them).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like a lot of the best jokes-centric Futurama episodes do play with structure in an ambitious way, but the good ones are actually smart about it.

I always think of Time Keeps on Slipping's amazing opening where the Harlem Globetrotters show up in a UFO, challenge Earth to an exhibition game, and respond to "what will you do if we lose?" with "Nothing! There is nothing at stake and no threat!". The whole first third of the episode is just thumbing its nose at story structure by having the conflict be something that is obviously ludicrous and explicitly doesn't matter, and it rules. It breaks storytelling rules with a series of deadpan anticlimaxes, and that works really well because the structure is broken for a good reason.

The bad jokes-centric episodes tend to have non-traditional structure as well, but it doesn't feel like they have a reason for doing so. They just lose plot threads, throw a bunch of stuff at the wall, jam in some "that's what she said!" level jokes and then end at 21 minutes. The bitcoin episode feels like one of those to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

I feel like a lot of the best jokes-centric Futurama episodes do play with structure in an ambitious way, but the good ones are actually smart about it.

I always think of Time Keeps on Slipping's amazing opening where the Harlem Globetrotters show up in a UFO, challenge Earth to an exhibition game, and respond to "what will you do if we lose?" with "Nothing! There is nothing at stake and no threat!". The whole first third of the episode is just thumbing its nose at story structure by having the conflict be something that is obviously ludicrous and explicitly doesn't matter, and it rules. It breaks storytelling rules with a series of deadpan anticlimaxes, and that works really well because the structure is broken for a good reason.

The bad jokes-centric episodes tend to have non-traditional structure as well, but it doesn't feel like they have a reason for doing so. They just lose plot threads, throw a bunch of stuff at the wall, jam in some "that's what she said!" level jokes and then end at 21 minutes. The bitcoin episode feels like one of those to me.

I feel like this one did a whole lot of justifying itself. Like they just wanted to do an Old West episode, and totally could have set it up by blowing by a dumb joke, but instead they spent a toooooooooon of time explaining how bitcoin turned this part of the country into the Old West.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Yeah. The magic is gone but I got some chuckles. My favorite sight gag was Borax kid just picking the cards he wanted out the deck.

"Here I'm not stupid. I'm a galoot!"

"Bender, I'm far too full to eat all of that"

Borrow! Borrow!

Personally I'm not going too hard on the writer's. I remember David X Cohen complaining about the smaller writing room leading to fewer jokes during the Comedy Central revival. I can't imagine how much of a nightmare it is now with the terrible streaming writer rooms that are one of the major points of the strike.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 8, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chairman Capone posted:

One of my all time favorite Futurama lines:

“Barbados Slim! Last I heard, you were in Barbados!”

"If I had wanted a human Adonis for a husband I'd have stayed married to Barbados Slim"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

thebardyspoon posted:

Hmm, I'd say my favourite episodes of the classic run weren't really ambitious, they were usually more low key. When I think ambitious and Futurama I think of the movies where they had all the minor characters showing up, a plot stretched over 4 episodes but kinda not really justifying it and then some quite well animated but pretty frivolous action scenes (mainly thinking of the space battle at the end of the first one there, the others don't have anything like that but it has been 10+ years since I watched them).

The space battle at the end of Bender's Big Score was retroactively justified when Star Wars ripped it off for the end of the last movie

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
"And so I ask you this one question. Have you ever tried turning off the TV, sitting down with your children, and hitting them?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"If I had wanted a human Adonis for a husband I'd have stayed married to Barbados Slim"
He's the only man to ever win a gold medal in the Olympics for both limbo and sex.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I made it about halfway through this episode and decided to turn it off.

I'm glad some people are enjoying it, but I think three episodes in I kind of get what we're in store for and it's not what I'm after.

I'll check back at the end of the season to see what people thought the standout hits were I suppose.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

I thought it sucked, I've also noticed Futurama has lost its buzz. I mean that there hasn't been the same social hype surrounding this release compared to the show when it was new, the movies as they were released, and even the seasons on Comedy Central.

Things like reviews or opinions of others whether irl or online won't really change how I engage with the show, even if the episodes are bad I'll enjoy them, but I have this feeling people are not going to continue giving the show the kind of praise, or even the kind of concessions as an iconic show but with declining quality, as it once received. It may have reached Simpsons jaundice level of being on life support at this point.

I absolutely loved Roberto playing the knife game with his knife gun, and Roberto in general was hilarious and made for great mileage out of the old west setting. Story-wise the episode might as well have been a tiktok short joking about crypto; just crap.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Even if the show was as great as it ever was, we've all lived through too many bad revivals to get excited about something we loved coming back from the dead.

Arrested Development was a bigass canary in the coal mine for this.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
This was the worst of the three episodes so far.....but was still better than 2/3rds of the CC episodes. Still too early to pass judgement.....but I'm looking forward to the new episodes.....which I cannot say for the CC run after the first few weeks.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

RestingB1tchFace posted:

This was the worst of the three episodes so far.....but was still better than 2/3rds of the CC episodes. Still too early to pass judgement.....but I'm looking forward to the new episodes.....which I cannot say for the CC run after the first few weeks.

Ok. I have to ask, not antagonizingly, which CC episodes are worse than this season so far? Just curious

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Thundercracker posted:

Ok. I have to ask, not antagonizingly, which CC episodes are worse than this season so far? Just curious

Most of them. I actually stopped watching the CC run at the time because the humor was eyerolling and lazy for the most part. I've gone back and watched the scattered episodes that I missed recently.....to prepare for the Hulu revival. Turns out that I wasn't imagining the poor writing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The weird censoring satellite one, absolutely (and I think that was episode 2, so a REALLY bad start) and probably the eye-phone one. The Leonardo da Vinci one was Ok, and then we got to The Late Philip J. Fry iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The gay marriage one was AWFUL, totally hosed over Amy/Bender's characters