Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Sometimes I’m thankful the gaystapo got me at a young age. Yes, adoption, but my husband and I have zero interest and I’ve met like one gay who has, and he was weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

fartknocker posted:

You’ll call now.

Now's the time to save!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Bird in a Blender posted:

The answer is to not have kids. Oh god why did I have a kid? I’m so tired.

I told my kids that school is starting up soon so they need to get used to waking up earlier again and I wasn't going to let them sleep in anymore so they've been getting up at 6 every morning and running around the house screaming :negative:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I just got central air installed this week. Paid $7k for a "complete install". The electrician they brought out just sent me an $1800 invoice for hooking everything up and the HVAC company says he's third party so I have to pay him separately.

No fuckin' way I'm paying that poo poo.

Your HVAC company should have warned you that their install didn't cover electrical upgrades, but, there is very little chance they're going to eat that $1800 and if you don't pay it, you'll get a lien slapped on your house and your credit will go down the tubes.

Chalk it up to experience, $1800 is nothing when it comes to home maintenance and next time you have anyone do work on your house you'll know better how to grill them to find out what additional costs they're forgetting to mention.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

It gets better, friend. She’ll grow and you’ll start dropping lasts. Last diaper. Last bedwetting. She’ll get more independent and learn to ride a bike. Then she’ll ask you not to walk her to the door at summer camp.

Then she’ll be like 65lbs and still want you to whip her around like a toddler and you’ll think about throwing her into the sky effortlessly when she still had bird bones, and shed a single tear.

Not from personal experience, nope.

Yeah, I have a friend with a 6 year old and he said it got a lot better once she was out of diapers and could talk in sentences. When I was a kid my grandparents lived pretty far away and my mom said she was so happy when I got old enough that I could pour her coffee from the thermos during the long drive to see them (it was a five hour drive, I'd stay with them for 2 weeks-1month in the summer, my mom would usually drive up, stay the weekend and drive back leaving me with them).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 8, 2023

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

It gets better, friend. She’ll grow and you’ll start dropping lasts. Last diaper. Last bedwetting. She’ll get more independent and learn to ride a bike. Then she’ll ask you not to walk her to the door at summer camp.

Then she’ll be like 65lbs and still want you to whip her around like a toddler and you’ll think about throwing her into the sky effortlessly when she still had bird bones, and shed a single tear.

Not from personal experience, nope.

Yes, then you have moments of realizing they'll be 18 and likely heading to college in not all that long of a time and them being a day to day constant in your life are fleeting. God drat do I love my son, even at his worst.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That moment for me came when my older son last got new shoes and I realized he wears the same shoe size that I do

The kid is 13

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Intruder posted:

That moment for me came when my older son last got new shoes and I realized he wears the same shoe size that I do

The kid is 13

I think my feet grew at least one more shoe size between 13 and adulthood. So good luck when your kid has bigger shoes than you.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I think my feet grew at least one more shoe size between 13 and adulthood. So good luck when your kid has bigger shoes than you.

I think he's already there, we're about to buy new shoes for the new school year and he says the ones he's been wearing are getting tight. Might be a size 13 now. Little jerk is gonna be taller than me too I bet, he's already 5'9

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Neil Armbong posted:

Yes, then you have moments of realizing they'll be 18 and likely heading to college in not all that long of a time and them being a day to day constant in your life are fleeting. God drat do I love my son, even at his worst.

I think about this constantly and try to never take it for granted. Nearly 7 years gone in the blink of an eye. Days are long but the years are short.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My three year old just got a haircut. Traded in his mop-top for some trendy fade thing. He looks like a big kid and it is heart wrenching.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I buzzed the boys head a couple weeks ago, his first haircut, but it was super hot out. My wife didn’t talk to me the rest of the day she was so upset haha

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd prefer the buzz cut honestly. My son is all blonde hair, blue eyes with buzzed sides and swept back bangs. Boy looks like a little nazi.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Same, blonde/blue, so mine became a little skin head

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Our oldest is a senior in high school this year and I need to take her to get her driver’s license. All those years where she was tiny and little are gone in the blink of an eye and I’m usually not that sentimental, but I’m feeling some kind of way about it all. The days are long but the years are short.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Watching this guy veer towards an assisted suicide in real time is fantastic

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1688905432901816321?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
When my sister had her first kid she refused to get his hair cut for the longest time because he wouldn't look like a baby anymore but a little man.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1688905432901816321?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

The way his face just drops after the terrible fake laugh is :discourse:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

FizFashizzle posted:

This man looks AI-generated.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
gently caress DeSantis

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fartknocker posted:

gently caress DeSantis

Someone has to but it ain’t gonna be me.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
My kid is a junior this year and he's been taller than me for a while and wears shoes 2 sizes more than me. I love him to death and while excited to be able to travel more, I am going to miss him terribly once he does things on his own

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Leperflesh posted:

Your HVAC company should have warned you that their install didn't cover electrical upgrades, but, there is very little chance they're going to eat that $1800 and if you don't pay it, you'll get a lien slapped on your house and your credit will go down the tubes.

Chalk it up to experience, $1800 is nothing when it comes to home maintenance and next time you have anyone do work on your house you'll know better how to grill them to find out what additional costs they're forgetting to mention.

To be fair, this isn't the first time I've had a contractor try to screw me (I won that one after threatening to go to the media) so I look over that stuff well. There's nothing in the contract regarding additional costs being accrued due to third party vendors they bring in. The only parts that are there refer to them getting 30 days prior to being sued to fix anything. Otherwise if I don't pay their bill ($7k, already done) then yeah a lien can occur.

The electrician, I never agreed to use him, his services, or signed any of his agreements - that was all on the HVAC company. The electrician even has the HVAC company as the payer on the invoice he sent me. Oh, it also has materials as $350, labor as $800, and total due is $1800, so there's a lot of hosed up to go around.

fartknocker posted:

gently caress DeSantis

That's right.

Also the Cowboys.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Oops.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I just got central air installed this week. Paid $7k for a "complete install". The electrician they brought out just sent me an $1800 invoice for hooking everything up and the HVAC company says he's third party so I have to pay him separately.

No fuckin' way I'm paying that poo poo.

please don't screw the electrician cause you didn't ask enough questions

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Update: HVAC company is eating the charge because they hosed up.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

please don't screw the electrician cause you didn't ask enough questions

I didn't have any intention of doing so - my goal (and I got it) was to get the HVAC company to pay like they are supposed to. This isn't me not asking questions - I specifically asked "Ok, so this is all I owe. $7k installed, no other charges" and was told in no uncertain terms that was correct. The original estimate that was hand written by their salesman had the cost included in the $7k.

I'm genuinely surprised the thread would just eat a $1800 bill they were never told about without arguing their case.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Braksgirl posted:

Our oldest is a senior in high school this year and I need to take her to get her driver’s license. All those years where she was tiny and little are gone in the blink of an eye and I’m usually not that sentimental, but I’m feeling some kind of way about it all. The days are long but the years are short.

Senior in high school just getting a driver's license? Is that normal down there? 15, maybe 16 is usually when kids get them here.

Then again I've seen how people from Louisiana drive and it's terrifying.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Re: books are dead, death of the author, etc. Just had my George RR Martin and GoT moment but for American political history nerds. I’ve been meaning to read Robert Caro’s LBJ series for over a decade, and at that time the fourth volume wasn’t out and he was getting up there in age, but then the fourth was published and all was well. Whelp, just finished the second volume and learned that there’s a fifth volume yet to be published, covering his presidency and death, so kinda a big topic. Caro is 87, please don’t die

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Senior in high school just getting a driver's license? Is that normal down there? 15, maybe 16 is usually when kids get them here.

I got mine senior year because you generally have to take a driver's education class before you can get a license if you're under 18 and when I was 16 I was doing early classes and the driver's ed was after all of the classes ended, so I would have had to spend close to 12 hours at my school, 3 of which I had nothing to do and no way to get anywhere else because I didn't have a driver's license or a car and I lived in the suburbs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

No, she really had no interest in driving at all until these last few months. My nephew is champing at the bit and he’s 15.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I turned 16 my parents made me get my license so I could drive myself places. My dad gave me his old vehicle so he could get a new truck.

But I knew a mix of people where some got it right at 16, either for practical or parents not wanting to drive them around anymore, to parents who were terrified of their kid driving so they refused to let them until 18.

One of the former did total 2 cars in their first year of driving though, one by driving into a fire hydrant and the other by driving into their house.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Mailbox Destroyer Crew represent :911:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Our girl turns 17 this month so she’s a young senior. In Louisiana you have to keep your permit for 6 months min so you can’t be any younger than 16.5 to get a license. And even then you can’t get a regular class E license until 17. It’s an intermediate license for 16.5 to 17.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Mailbox Destroyer Crew represent :911:

I've only ever destroyed a mail box on purpose while sitting in the bed of a pick-up truck swinging a baseball bat.

Never ran into one

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm finding that a deshedding brush does a better job of getting the dog hair out of my rug than the vacuum does

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bobjr posted:

One of the former did total 2 cars in their first year of driving though, one by driving into a fire hydrant and the other by driving into their house.

One of my friends did this with a gigantic old Buick but it didn't kill the car, just left a massive hole in front and he of course didn't have money to fix it.

So he just drove it like that and it looked like the car was just going to eat anything in front of it if he was following you.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1689007703526690817?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's like, a bunch of shows on ESPN where they tell you how you should bet on sports games, right? And now they're loving bookies too? No loving conflict of interest there.

On the upside I bet it backfires in a like 5 years when they give some underdog some way too large payout to encourage people to bet on them and then the team actually wins.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I'm finding that a deshedding brush does a better job of getting the dog hair out of my rug than the vacuum does

Yep, Maggie doesn’t shed much but Jameson sheds a poo poo load. I can 100% tell when it’s been too long since I brushed him because his fur is everywhere. If I brush him every couple days there’s barely any fur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022

Amy Pole Her posted:

Travel chat - Rhode Island is pretty awesome. Providence and Newport are two really fun spots. Amazing views too

Thanks for coming to the best state in the Union

Pontius Pilate posted:

Re: books are dead, death of the author, etc. Just had my George RR Martin and GoT moment but for American political history nerds. I’ve been meaning to read Robert Caro’s LBJ series for over a decade, and at that time the fourth volume wasn’t out and he was getting up there in age, but then the fourth was published and all was well. Whelp, just finished the second volume and learned that there’s a fifth volume yet to be published, covering his presidency and death, so kinda a big topic. Caro is 87, please don’t die

The only real difference in the two authors is the GoT has progressively gotten shitter to the point of "who cares if GRRM doesn't finish."