Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

After a period of not bothering, I've started responding to meeting invites asking for an agenda to be provided in time for me to prepare for the meeting. When one doesn't arrive I loudly declare when joining that I have no idea what the meeting is about and ask whoever called the meeting to bring me up to speed. Next step will be rejecting blank meeting requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

After a period of not bothering, I've started responding to meeting invites asking for an agenda to be provided in time for me to prepare for the meeting. When one doesn't arrive I loudly declare when joining that I have no idea what the meeting is about and ask whoever called the meeting to bring me up to speed. Next step will be rejecting blank meeting requests.

I did work for a major research bank for a while, and they had a 30 min meeting policy. If a meeting went to 31 minutes, it was immediately over. They really stuck by it, and it made them a lot more productive. I really miss that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
https://twitter.com/messeduppcs/status/1688959030155239424/photo/1

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Finally a use for waste heat

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I did work for a major research bank for a while, and they had a 30 min meeting policy. If a meeting went to 31 minutes, it was immediately over. They really stuck by it, and it made them a lot more productive. I really miss that.

We used to have someone who ran meetings for senior leadership with allotted time (usually 5, 10, or 15 minutes) for each speaker and topic. If you were speaking you had to make sure you prepared a presentation that fit in that time slot, because when it was done, you were done. It was glorious.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I had a boss at FEMA who did that who carried it over from when she was federal law enforcement. It saved so much loving time.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I have spent over 3 hours in meetings discussing the best way to deliver three laptops to new employees starting on Monday. This is a one off case and will never be repeated again.

These three employees will be showing up at the office at 9am on Monday. They want the users to have the laptops early, before their official date, so they can log into the computer and set up their windows hello for business pin and authenticator.

That is all they are doing. For some reason, doing that at 9am on Monday is unacceptable, as is asking them to come up in at 8:45 on Monday.

3 hours of meetings with multiple people to determine the best way to get these three people laptops. The decision was made to have my coworker drive these laptops to a location on Friday and have the new employees drive to those locations to pick it up.

None of this is a joke. I honestly don’t know how much more of this mayhem I can tolerate.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mattfl posted:

Sup.

Work was trying to pull some fuckery requiring current techs to get certs to qualify for our own jobs and I'm like, lol no I'm not doing A+ again. The never expiring thing was a nice surprise when I had to dig out the emails from when I got it almost 23 years ago lol

This reminds me, we got a new security guy earlier this year. He wanted to have some sort of qualification for someone to have Domain Admin rights in AD. Like they had to have an MCSE or CISSP or something. Luckily that idea died. I don't really want to ever take another MSFT test again to be honest.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

skipdogg posted:

This reminds me, we got a new security guy earlier this year. He wanted to have some sort of qualification for someone to have Domain Admin rights in AD. Like they had to have an MCSE or CISSP or something. Luckily that idea died. I don't really want to ever take another MSFT test again to be honest.

100% this person worked in DoD prior.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
Having passed a+/n+/sec+ in the last few months (yay WGU) I can at least say they didn’t ask about dot matrix printers or irqs.

Now there are blockchain questions

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:psyduck:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Soylent Majority posted:

uggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I can barely remember anything about those cert tests because I tried to forget about them and figured I’d learn what I needed to on the job. Hasn’t led me wrong yet

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Blockchain printers? Sounds like a job for HP.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

CLAM DOWN posted:

imagining a test question where they have to create a NFT for Blockchain+

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

God, I'm just imagining someone inside CompTIA with a Blockchain/Crypto + Exam like just about to be pushed out the door looking at bitcoin tumbling.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 8, 2023

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I think this is an awesome question because it's so incredibly open ended but still servers the purpose of the technical interview. Personally, I wish way more companies did something like this because it allows you to see the strengths of a candidate as well as weaknesses.

I used it quite a bit. Easily 90% of candidates would answer "There is a DNS lookup to get the ip address, and then you get the webpage" as their whole answer, even when prompted to go into any further detail.

And this was a role that was Ops/SRE at a SaaS company.

It was my greatest filter.

I've just started back in another SaaS company now, I'm happy I get to use that as a question again.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Soylent Majority posted:

Having passed a+/n+/sec+ in the last few months (yay WGU) I can at least say they didn’t ask about dot matrix printers or irqs.

i am so glad i got certified under the last edition at literally the last possible moment

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

NZAmoeba posted:

I used it quite a bit. Easily 90% of candidates would answer "There is a DNS lookup to get the ip address, and then you get the webpage" as their whole answer, even when prompted to go into any further detail.

Did these candidates not memorize the OSI model????? Pfaw!!!!!!

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Today I mysteriously found my serviceme production on the wrong production group.

Also our AV has been configured to block USB devices access which is critical to my job.

Man idk what our IAM guys are doing but it's a huge pain in the rear end.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Out of curiosity, how big is your org? It’s hard for my to imagine having a dedicated IAM team that handles nothing else.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Did these candidates not memorize the OSI model????? Pfaw!!!!!!

If you answer this question well enough you’ll very quickly see the OSI model is the wrong way to describe everything that is happening unless you’re literally using a teletypewriter and a mainframe and you’re a time traveller from 1970.

we as an industry are hobbling a generation of ops engineers because “the internet protocol suite” sounds scary

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm trying to imagine how much time I could waste trying to remember low-level details about packet handling. On the one hand, I'm sure I'd have it mostly wrong. On the other hand, anyone who could catch me out would not belong in the room anyway.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

exhibit A: the gently caress is the OSI session layer doing in modern architecture? It was designed to handle lovely dumb terminals and simplex links. HTTP sessions are literally OSI associations and this very much occurs at the application layer.

We’re using a diagram of a horse to describe how modern automobiles work! Is it any wonder people fail to understand networking when we fail to teach our newest students how distributed communication works?

Exhibit B: would someone like to earnestly explain the OSI presentation layer?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Iron Rose posted:

Out of curiosity, how big is your org? It’s hard for my to imagine having a dedicated IAM team that handles nothing else.

Once companies get to a certain size, things start moving really slowly and you have to feed more bodies to the machine.

We have multiple IAM teams. We have an entire team of people dedicated to just Okta. We have north of 1300 SSO apps, I'm pretty sure there's just 1 guy who his entire job is just rotating the certificates as they come due. There's other teams dedicated to other parts of IAM, plus architects, business owners, it's pretty crazy. We probably have 70 employees under our IAM umbrella.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm trying to imagine how much time I could waste trying to remember low-level details about packet handling. On the one hand, I'm sure I'd have it mostly wrong. On the other hand, anyone who could catch me out would not belong in the room anyway.

While you do need to understand the structure of (segments/datagrams)/packets/frames a little bit in order to understand how different layers actually talk to one another, my objection to the OSI model is in how it describes inter-networking. So it’s important to talk about how TCP guarantees session state, so you can talk about how UDP doesn’t. If you’re feeling bold, we can talk about the concept of reliable UDP, when you might want to implement it (you don’t need all of the guarantees of TCP), and when you shouldn’t (most of the time the overhead of TCP vs reliable UDP is negligible so don’t implement your own protocol if you don’t have to).

How many times has wireshark not been useful to us in our careers? I literally mean using: “physical/link layer, transport layer, network layer, application layer” instead of throwing session (sessionless protocols, application layer session protocols), and presentation (you could say serialization and sockets, and you’d get the concept and still be wrong).

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 8, 2023

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

death to layers

also I’m done now, your regularly scheduled programming can continue

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I get irked when network people can't answer what I consider fundamental network questions. Maybe it comes off as just throwing book definitions at candidates, but if you have a hard time telling me what routers and switches look for in an packet to make decisions I immediately assume you're not a particularly strong troubleshooter. I don't care too strongly about the OSI model, I can interchange the concepts in my head but I would never ask or expect someone to know what layer the mac address lives in.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 8, 2023

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sepist posted:

I get irked when network people can't answer what I consider fundamental network questions. Maybe it comes off as just throwing book definitions at candidates, but if you have a hard time telling me what routers and switches look for in an packet to make decisions I immediately assume you're not a particularly strong troubleshooter. I don't care too strongly about the OSI model, I can interchange the concepts in my head but I would never ask or expect someone to know what layer the mac address lives in.

Nevertheless, a network person beyond the junior level should be able to effortlessly answer both of those questions. OSI model is drilled into people and you will have casual tshooting conversations that start with nothing more than "looks like a layer 2 problem." Realistically, a pure network person doesn't need to care about much beyond the first 4 layers, but they should know them.

However, I know from interviewing lots and lots of "network people" that your mileage will vary wildly.

God help you if you want a network person who can both understand networks and isn't afraid of a python script.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 8, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People need to know enough to understand why trying to traceroute stuff in the same subnet is pointless

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

NZAmoeba posted:

And this was a role that was Ops/SRE at a SaaS company.

It was my greatest filter.

I've just started back in another SaaS company now, I'm happy I get to use that as a question again.

In their defense the internet was a mistake

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's so much poo poo that would be considered "fundamental" that I absolutely cannot recall on demand. I've written thousands of lines of PowerShell over the past decade and I frequently have to look up the exact syntax for an "else if" statement (I get it confused with elif in Python). At a certain level, what you're hiring for is problem solving and troubleshooting, which usually doesn't require reciting trivia. And lots and lots of certs are mostly trivia like that.

Then again the last person I interviewed and hired ended up not knowing poo poo and was probably a different person doing the job than the person we interviewed, so what the hell do I know.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh Im just memeing, the OSI model is archaic as heck

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

FISHMANPET posted:

There's so much poo poo that would be considered "fundamental" that I absolutely cannot recall on demand. I've written thousands of lines of PowerShell over the past decade and I frequently have to look up the exact syntax for an "else if" statement (I get it confused with elif in Python). At a certain level, what you're hiring for is problem solving and troubleshooting, which usually doesn't require reciting trivia. And lots and lots of certs are mostly trivia like that.

Then again the last person I interviewed and hired ended up not knowing poo poo and was probably a different person doing the job than the person we interviewed, so what the hell do I know.

Just listened to a darknet dairies episode about that:

Here it is!

https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/133/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

The Iron Rose posted:

If you answer this question well enough you’ll very quickly see the OSI model is the wrong way to describe everything that is happening unless you’re literally using a teletypewriter and a mainframe and you’re a time traveller from 1970.

we as an industry are hobbling a generation of ops engineers because “the internet protocol suite” sounds scary

I don't care about anything above layer 4 in the OSI model, but do you not find value in separating layer 1 from layer 2? The TCP/IP model squishes them into a single layer. I'm a network guy and I mentally separate "is it plugged in" and "is there a link" from "is there a MAC address on the switch." I think maybe we just do very different work, but I find the distinction useful.

Sepist posted:

I would absolutely expect anyone doing network work to be able to tell me that a MAC address is part of layer 2. That is absolutely rudimentary, and if you're applying for a networking role and you've never heard that, I don't entirely trust that you know what a computer is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been in this industry for something like 20 years at this point and if you asked me to name the 7 layers of the OSI model, in any order, I might get 3 of them.

[edit: I also have to recite the alphabet in order for me to tell you what the next character is. Pretty much the same with months. It's amazing.]

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The Iron Rose posted:

I can’t believe the industry that keeps coming up with elaborate workarounds to avoid having to use ipV6 would do something like that

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been in this industry for something like 20 years at this point and if you asked me to name the 7 layers of the OSI model, in any order, I might get 3 of them.

[edit: I also have to recite the alphabet in order for me to tell you what the next character is. Pretty much the same with months. It's amazing.]

Please Do Not Tell Sales People Anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

guppy posted:

I don't care about anything above layer 4 in the OSI model, but do you not find value in separating layer 1 from layer 2? The TCP/IP model squishes them into a single layer. I'm a network guy and I mentally separate "is it plugged in" and "is there a link" from "is there a MAC address on the switch." I think maybe we just do very different work, but I find the distinction useful.

You’re right that physical components of a network and the link layer should be treated separately, but wrong that the internet protocol conflates them.

The TCP/IP model doesn’t care about the physical components or transmission media, and doesn’t explicitly define them. The link layer only defines how networked communications *within* a network boundary (I.e. not over a router) occur. It’s totally hardware independent and can be implemented in software (VPNs/network tunnelling protocols spring to mind here).

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I can’t believe the industry that keeps coming up with elaborate workarounds to avoid having to use ipV6 would do something like that

I want to say ipv6 is a failed protocol but it’s just alive enough to not be, which is very frustrating! To put it mildly, the value proposition tends to be small if you don’t care about the performance overhead of NAT.