Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

NZAmoeba posted:

Also if you quit or get fired, the company is supposed to pay out any unused vacation time. This is why they get antsy about some employees having many weeks of vacation banked, it's a big liability on the books.

Don't have to pay out if you don't have a tracked vacation balance!

edit: ^^^ motherfucker

edit2: Beaten by a Post Nouveau

i believe it varies by state but not everywhere requires pto payouts. its a benefit, not an earned wage says the courts, so its discretionary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's a very niche program that only a couple of tech companies have tried to implement and marketing it as a sort of "innovation" and progressive generosity to its employees.

Worked at a place that had it specifically because people kept taking like, all the vacation time off right at the end of the year so they didn't "lose" it and it was causing problems, and honestly it worked fine and there wasn't really any social pressure not to, however this was a small company where everyone was reasonable so lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ammanas posted:

i believe it varies by state but not everywhere requires pto payouts. its a benefit, not an earned wage says the courts, so its discretionary

Yeah nobody pays accrued PTO here lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought Power Hour was when you take a swig of beer every minute for 60 minutes

It's one American shot of beer, 1.5 fluid ounces every minute for 60 minutes

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve done a Century before, which is a shot of beer every minute for 100 minutes, which works out to be about 8 beer in just over an hour and a half

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i’ve done your mom

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

lol America

NZ courts are very clear on vacation time being part of your earned wage.

Probably helps that there's a legal minimum (4 weeks) so it's classified that way as part of your wage, not something your betters deign to bestow upon you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjv3gm/grindr-tells-unionizing-workers-move-across-the-country-or-be-fired

They're requiring a significant fraction of the work force to move to SF to go to the office. They don't currently have an SF office.

e: Oh and the engineering team has to relo to Chicago, a city that javascript coders and devops types absolutely adore and will love living in

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

edit: woops wrong thread

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Aug 8, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

I always wondered about unlimited vacation, because over here the legal minimum is 5 weeks plus various holidays so everyone gets at least that: Is this unlimited vacation that you're not using with or without pay? I have a feeling it's without, but I really don't get how the American system works

I will hit five weeks of vacation in my government job in another seven and a half years.

That is considered very high by American standards, especially with the twelve days a year of sick time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Unlimited PTO always has 'as long as you get your work done!' as a clause, so it often turns into 'who can request the most pto first' cause if you're on a team of six and you're the third one to ask for two weeks off at christmas, you're hosed because you've got 50% more work to do since those first two will be out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

funktionærloven in denmark says up to 120 sick days in a 12 month period before they can fire you (with a month's severance) & they cant ask for a doctor's note until 14 days lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Unlimited PTO always has 'as long as you get your work done!' as a clause

Regular PTO has that too

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

My brother in law's employer just went over to an unlimited time off model but the contract he's on also changed to require more days/year at work so it's really just a stealth cut to time off.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

it's cool when businesses slow down or close early in Turkey so people can go to Friday prayers
Am I remembering right that in Turkey you don't get vacation in the first few years you work in a job? (except some specific single day holidays)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

Regular PTO has that too

you get a check with that kind if everything falls apart tho

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

you get a check with that kind if everything falls apart tho

Maybe you do, I sure don't

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you've left a job that has accrued PTO and you didn't get a payout of the unused pto at hour normal wage? if so you should have called an employment lawyer when that happened, easy open and shut there

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

you've left a job that has accrued PTO and you didn't get a payout of the unused pto at hour normal wage? if so you should have called an employment lawyer when that happened, easy open and shut there

We literally just went over how that's only true in some states but not others in this very thread lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like here's an employment lawyer in my city saying "unless they specifically said they were going to, or they've done it as a policy, or you have a union that negotiated for it, they don't have to give you jack poo poo"

https://www.employmentlawtampa.com/are-you-entitled-to-payout-of-vacation-time/

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

America is like two, maybe three elections away from full corporate serfdom at this point.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Biplane posted:

America is like two, maybe three elections away from full corporate serfdom at this point.

Agreed. Those elections happened in 1980, 1984, and 2000.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

funktionærloven in denmark says up to 120 sick days in a 12 month period before they can fire you (with a month's severance) & they cant ask for a doctor's note until 14 days lol

my state is at-will employment. my boss can walk through the door on any day and say "I don't like the color of your shoes" and I'd be out on my rear end. media likes to run scare stories about how employers can't fire people easy enough which is really telling considering how meagre the protections an employee has and that even these are considered by the business classes to be outrageous demands akin to expropriation, slavery, and communism

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Biplane posted:

Yeah pretty much. A dem is just a holding pattern, and once the fash gets back in office they're just gonna go hog wild.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I will hit five weeks of vacation in my government job in another seven and a half years.

That is considered very high by American standards, especially with the twelve days a year of sick time.

Your country is a joke. The aforementioned funktionærloven is a pretty drat good baseline all things considered. It came from the time when unions and the social democrats were in lockstep and worked to better society. It also sets a minimum that collective bargaining agreements will almost certainly improve on. Like, sick kid day one is pretty much standard, as is the sixth week of paid vacation. Government workers get two extra days off per kid under 8, and so forth.

What I'm saying is that unions are good, and I hope that USA is on the brink of getting it, what with the strikes going on right now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Like here's an employment lawyer in my city saying "unless they specifically said they were going to, or they've done it as a policy, or you have a union that negotiated for it, they don't have to give you jack poo poo"

https://www.employmentlawtampa.com/are-you-entitled-to-payout-of-vacation-time/

Right, unlimited PTO is often a way for a company that currently does these things to gracefully pivot from accrual to non-accrual. Current employees agree to it because they see "unlimited" and the check they'll get for paying out the current accruals, but then it's unambiguously worse in ways they can't forsee going forward.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Right, unlimited PTO is often a way for a company that currently does these things to gracefully pivot from accrual to non-accrual. Current employees agree to it because they see "unlimited" and the check they'll get for paying out the current accruals, but then it's unambiguously worse in ways they can't forsee going forward.

Sure, I'm just saying where I live we never had that to begin with lol

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PostNouveau posted:

I've never worked anywhere where worker buy-in for these policies or benefits changes applied at all. Corporate announces the change, or makes you an offer during hiring and from there it's a Hobson's choice. You take the job or you don't.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shame Boy posted:

We literally just went over how that's only true in some states but not others in this very thread lol

Nobody wants to read anymore.

skooma512 posted:

Yeah pretty much. A dem is just a holding pattern, and once the fash gets back in office they're just gonna go hog wild.

But doctor, the fash are in office!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BonHair posted:

What I'm saying is that unions are good, and I hope that USA is on the brink of getting it

:lmao:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The majority of americans have been pro-union forever (except in specifically and only 2009 for some reason, according to this) but, y'know, our government and all that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also lol at this paragraph

quote:

Union members' attachment to their union does not carry over to their jobs. Rather, the data show that workers who are union members are less engaged at work (27%) than are nonunion members (33%). Gallup defines employee engagement as the involvement in and enthusiasm of employees in their work and workplace. The engagement gap between union and nonunion workers could be significant to employers because highly engaged employees tend to be substantially more productive, less likely to leave and safer at work than their less engaged counterparts, and they tend to have better personal wellbeing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Look we're blocking you from unionizing because we want you to be safer at work, just like Gallup says!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Coolness Averted posted:

I've never worked anywhere where worker buy-in for these policies or benefits changes applied at all. Corporate announces the change, or makes you an offer during hiring and from there it's a Hobson's choice. You take the job or you don't.
this is totally unrelated but thank you for not saying "Sophie's choice", nobody loving knows what a Hobson's choice is these days and I'm real glad that one random goon does :shobon:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My company will pay out accrued PTO but only if we give 3 weeks notice.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jonny 290 posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjv3gm/grindr-tells-unionizing-workers-move-across-the-country-or-be-fired

They're requiring a significant fraction of the work force to move to SF to go to the office. They don't currently have an SF office.

e: Oh and the engineering team has to relo to Chicago, a city that javascript coders and devops types absolutely adore and will love living in

Chicago kicks the poo poo out of SF if they don't want to I'll do it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that Sufjan Stevens album so now I want to move to Chicago without having ever been there

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BonHair posted:

What I'm saying is that unions are good, and I hope that USA is on the brink of getting it, what with the strikes going on right now

There's no real sizeable communist movement in the USA to ignite, lead and threaten. The American proles will do as they're told and the state will ensure it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

Agreed. Those elections happened in 1980, 1984, and 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Agreed. Those elections happened in 1976, 1984, and 1992.