Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What is left to restore?

The VIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

How the gently caress does one restore that? What is left to restore?
The VIN?

Edit: EFB on a new page. I suck.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I mean in order to do it right you'd need to reconstruct the entire car which means having one to measure off of. That might cost $800k in itself lol

Edit: nah modern cad scanners can probably do that as well and then you'd only need to rent it for a weekend

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Imagine other snobby car collectors wouldn't want to rent their very rare cars out just so theirs stays more valuable, lol. Maybe not but I could see rich assholes doing that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Imagine other snobby car collectors wouldn't want to rent their very rare cars out just so theirs stays more valuable, lol. Maybe not but I could see rich assholes doing that.

Could go either way. Someone who loves them as finely built machines would welcome a lost one being resurrected; someone who enjoys the exclusivity or treats them as an investment would feel the opposite.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah I mean in order to do it right you'd need to reconstruct the entire car which means having one to measure off of. That might cost $800k in itself lol

Edit: nah modern cad scanners can probably do that as well and then you'd only need to rent it for a weekend
So forgive my ignorance as a Filthy Casual, but what does that look like in practice? Is the only thing left here gonna be whatever plate has the VIN on it, cut out from the rest of the body, and they just build a brand new car around it? Like a Ferrari of Theseus?

Rich people are loving crazy

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

So forgive my ignorance as a Filthy Casual, but what does that look like in practice? Is the only thing left here gonna be whatever plate has the VIN on it, cut out from the rest of the body, and they just build a brand new car around it? Like a Ferrari of Theseus?

Yeah pretty much. You see it with classic muscle cars when there’s an ad for a rusted windshield cowl that has the VIN for a convertible 426 HEMI and it’s listed for like $40,000.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Think of Binky. There was a Mini there once, but basically all that remains of the original vehicle is whatever is necessary to register it as a road legal Mini

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mustache Ride posted:

Who do you think is going to be buying this wreck in the first place? Most likely somebody who already owns one of those cars.

And you can buy an entire body for a popular muscle car, just insert your original VIN number.

https://dynacornclassicbodies.com/1965-ford-mustang-fastback/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Door Frame posted:

Think of Binky. There was a Mini there once, but basically all that remains of the original vehicle is whatever is necessary to register it as a road legal Mini

That and brackets!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

They do the same thing for WW2 aircraft. Find some old Spitfire at the bottom of a lake that is basically a vin number hammered into a rusty plate and then have it "restored" to original.

To be fair SOME of that insanity is (supposedly) to try to ensure the aircraft is classed by the FAA as an old warbird and thus subject to less modern regulation requirements.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So basically,

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

no lowballers i kno what i got

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The only picture in your ad:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

To be fair, it is a pretty sunset.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
With the description, I think it's not supposed to be actually sold yet

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Apropos of nothing I found this listing.

(it's in kilometers)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Paint me a picture of the person that buys a well maintained 525,000 mile, 20 year old one ton pickup, I'm honestly curious

Truck looks like the interior and exterior are in awesome shape but I can't imagine every screw and foam vibration dampener thing is loose or turned to dust

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hadlock posted:

Paint me a picture of the person that buys a well maintained 525,000 mile, 20 year old one ton pickup, I'm honestly curious

Truck looks like the interior and exterior are in awesome shape but I can't imagine every screw and foam vibration dampener thing is loose or turned to dust

Some people like ancient French weirdo cars, other people like not-so-ancient domestic pickups. You've seen the prices people pay for Chevy C/Ks or old F150s. That Ram is a diesel as well which lessens the mileage shock.

To be clear I don't want that truck but I understand people like things they like.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nobody's buying this truck for its collector's value. It makes money by hauling cars, a three-pot trailer specifically. So while it's still going, it's going to be making money, and it's priced accordingly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess my red flag is the 525,000 miles, per "cumminsforum.com" for a 5.9 which presumably is the "HO" engine mentioned by the seller

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/curious-life-expectancy-of-a-5-9-on-average.444677/

cumminsforum posted:

Cummins published figure is an MTBO of 350,000 miles, or about 10,000 hours.

So, half before this, and half after.

I feel like you're already taking a gamble on an unknown history 350k engine, this has 525k miles (or 85X,000 km) which in my mind is either EOL or at best a lottery ticket for a truck that makes it to 600,000 miles(?) if I were 20 years old and decided to get into the haulin' business I'd still side eye this truck for anything over $6000 but I don't know the market at all

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
On that note:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/toyota/land-cruiser/listing/4256525715

No way anyone is going to pay that with that in a non-roadworthy state with that sort of mileage

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/saint-louis-76-mercury-marquis-2dr-460/7652999663.html

Goddamn. The upholstery needs work, as does my BF to convince him we need another toy car, and the Z3 is lonely.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
That Mercury has to be accompanied by a supertanker at all times. By an incredible stroke of luck, it's in a neighborhood called Hazelwood.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

"the next best thing"

2002 Suburu Outback Baja Long Bed

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seeing that roll up would have me choosing a different landscaper, I think.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

“Runs good but is ugly” :lol: I think it’s cute!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

"has some issues"

#1 rain is a problem, since they couldn't be arsed to close in the cab... I can't imagine what that's doing to the wiring in the back.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Number_6 posted:

That Mercury has to be accompanied by a supertanker at all times. By an incredible stroke of luck, it's in a neighborhood called Hazelwood.

Thank you for that link. While I remember the Valdez disaster, what happened to the ship itself was an interesting read.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thank you for that link. While I remember the Valdez disaster, what happened to the ship itself was an interesting read.

We all know what happened to the ship itself, it exploded and sank after being sabotaged by a fish man in the scientifically accurate documentary Waterworld

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

"Money is still owed on this vehicle"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nebakenezzer posted:

1991 Toyota Corolla
132,000 km
$1000

So if anybody remembers this thing, it sold fairly quickly. The other day in a wild coincidence, I came across this car by the road and had a look at it. It's been repainted, and while I'm not an expert, I think it's had a bunch of body work done to fix rust damage in the wheel wells and along the rocker panels. The driver's side didn't look too bad, but the passenger side looked like it had the entire panel replaced. Looks like it otherwise did in the pictures. I think the person who bought it is using it to commute to a road work job.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Me, casually seeing what the cheapest Corolla is on my local Craigslist and Hey What's This

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/hayward-1973-toyota-corolla-rear-wheel/7653629066.html

quote:

1973 Toyota Corolla
2-door coupe
4-speed manual
Factory 2T-C 1.6 L
Upgraded head
Rebuilt transmission
Water pump
Slotted and drilled rotors
Full suspension work
Excellent daily driver
Fun and gets attention
Clean title car
Registration currently on non-op
All fees has been paid for

Car has been sitting
For a couple short years
Could use some TLC
Engine starts and sounds amazing
Currently not getting fuel
Not sure why I am not a Mechanic
I seriously doubt it’s going to take a lot of work to get this started if you know a little about carburetor work.

There is some rust issues
Hence, the price that I’m selling it for
If interested, please do not email
Feel free to call

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At first i thought "Not sure why I am not a mechanic" was just a random moment of self reflection thrown in there.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Me, casually seeing what the cheapest Corolla is on my local Craigslist and Hey What's This

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/hayward-1973-toyota-corolla-rear-wheel/7653629066.html

I don't need another project car right now. The Volkzda is fine. I don't need another project car right now. The Volkzda is fine. I don't need another project car right now. The Volkzda is fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Miata running gear would probably fit...?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

$10,000 2001 F-150 super cab Denver co

Joe Mama posted:

I don't need another project car right now. The Volkzda is fine.

Link to thread?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boynton Beach FL reduced from 7 to $5,500

Unclear if it comes with pimp hat and cane, or if that's extra

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imagine rolling up to the drive in theater with that bad boy. Would make a most excellent viewing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hadlock posted:

$10,000 2001 F-150 super cab Denver co

Link to thread?

I remember this truck from the early 2000s, i think maybe streetfire.net. I can't imagine there are 2 of them.