Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wonder if this will get hit by the strike. Some sites claim filming wrapped in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Watching s2 now and I just had to find this thread to post noooooo Danny what the gently caress are you doing she practically raised you while your mom was at nasa

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The show's commitment to following the fallout of that one car accident is truly unwavering. It's the in-show equivalent of the alternative universe problem: if only someone went back in time and saved Ed's poor dumb son.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Watching s2 now and I just had to find this thread to post noooooo Danny what the gently caress are you doing she practically raised you while your mom was at nasa

:allears:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Next episode:

Nooooooo Karen what the gently caress are you doing now

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Where we're going we don't need eyes to see.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I think we need a version of this smilie that grows into a huge version of itself like the expanding ironicat thing, because :allears: indeed. You keep us apprised, Boris!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really enjoy how this thread is periodically bumped by new people discovering this particular horror

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What did ed put in his butt in s3 opener

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Steroids probably.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Steroids. They mention anabolics in the later half of the season.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
HRT, Ed is trans

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
never stop lolling that ed, a stereotypical alpha male who has trouble communicating his inner traumas, is finally convinced to open up about the guilt and pain he feels about his sons death by his wife and daughter, and in response his wife and daughter:

declare “you never loved me im just a band aid you used to paper over your sons death!”
gently caress said dead sons best friend

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

No loving way they sent a Korean guy to Mars on a Soyuz lmao

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Aleida’s job scope is all over the place. She’s NASA’s lead nuclear propulsion engineer, but she has time to be the flight director(?) for launches and also spend time on the moon for no reason.

Typical TV scientist stuff but still.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Aleida owns

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m mildly curious if a DREAM Act … recipient? would qualify for the security clearance that working on nuclear propulsion rockets would surely require. Does anyone know?

Also lolling at the idea that a U.S. based company wouldn’t plant a US flag on Mars over a company logo.

S3 and second half of S2 Aleida is great. But the pseudo angsty teenager Aleida in S2 was annoying af.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Aleida’s job scope is all over the place. She’s NASA’s lead nuclear propulsion engineer, but she has time to be the flight director(?) for launches and also spend time on the moon for no reason.

Typical TV scientist stuff but still.

The show treats the Moon (by that stage) as a "normal" job posting since the cast who show up there are all over the place. I guess to contrast with the drama from season 1, and how far NASA has come?

Aleida's character was meant, IMO, as a mirror to Margo's tutelage under Wernher, and Margo's job duties are pretty all over the place as well. Like you say, teevee scientist stuff for the sake of drama. At least we have Bill as a humanized character who has a specific job.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I feel like an outlier in thinking S3 was the best one yet, but I'm also feeling kind of pessimistic about the show because they're running out of time to turn it into something special. The version of S4 that would really bum me out would be like

- Basically 9/11 happens, but committed by anti-space weirdos.
- Margo spends the whole season being intimidated by KGB thugs in drab little rooms.
- [Insert Apollo 11-style crisis on Mars]

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m mildly curious if a DREAM Act … recipient? would qualify for the security clearance that working on nuclear propulsion rockets would surely require. Does anyone know?

Of course they can we aren't some xenophobic shithole such as china, friend.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why not?We let nazis build our rockets, and communists build our atom bombs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Aleida's story was actually interesting and they really cut it down so they could include a bunch of incredibly dumb poo poo like Karen girl boss and the terrorist plot that everyone hated.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Terrorist plot was fine just dumb it was rich evans.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d be happy with like a 20 or 30 year jump.

Getting into the expanse territory.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MarcusSA posted:

I’d be happy with like a 20 or 30 year jump.

Getting into the expanse territory.

Season 4 takes place around 2003, if you paid attention to the end of season 3.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Season 4 takes place around 2003, if you paid attention to the end of season 3.

Yeah true but just sayin!

Season 4 is going to be good I don’t doubt but I’d like it to move forward a bit more.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When s4 and will the stuff ed is putting in his butt keep him alive after the jump?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
By 2003 Ed will be more butt stuff than human.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah true but just sayin!

Season 4 is going to be good I don’t doubt but I’d like it to move forward a bit more.

I have a feeling there won’t be a massive time-jump until a potential 7th and final season. Too much of the past to mine (although, season 6 would probably take place in the then-current calendar year).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm not really sure that the size of the time jumps matters much anyway. Other than the 90s music they pretty much gave up on the alternate history feeling with Season 4, which otherwise felt more like it was early 2000s. Even with fusion power or whatever wasn't believable that in a handful of years they went from using Apple II style computers to modern looking things, which was a real shame because I would have loved a season which fully embraced that aesthetic of 90s looking interfaces everywhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They had more advanced technology because they had continued the space race and things were developed earlier.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

They had more advanced technology because they had continued the space race and things were developed earlier.

Well yeah, that's the premise of the show. Still didn't feel believable that so much of the tech and aesthetics felt like it had 25 years of advancement in only 9 years though. Probably because it was so clearly our modern tech. The more alt history aspects, like the Apple Newton being like an early smart phone was something done really well.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It seemed plausible enough that a timeline where a few more people spent their days working on space things instead of, idk, innovative ways to repackage mortgages would get some things done faster. Add in a lucky break or two and sure, they're done in a third of the time it took our dumb asses.

Though I do get a feeling of "the inevitable march of progress", like playing Civilization where it's always the exact same tech tree but sometimes you move through it faster or in a different order, and that feels kinda bunk.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah like, 90s For All Mankind but with the tech from Severance would have been lit.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://youtu.be/TNWO64gslUk?si=65zP057rk62GAM2g

Season 4 on November 10

quote:

Rocketing into the new millennium in the eight years since Season 3, Happy Valley has rapidly expanded its footprint on Mars by turning former foes into partners. Now 2003, the focus of the space program has turned to the capture and mining of extremely valuable, mineral-rich asteroids that could change the future of both Earth and Mars. But simmering tensions between the residents of the now-sprawling international base threaten to undo everything they are working towards.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Holy poo poo that sure is a look for Ed!

Awesome!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

The ensemble cast returning for Season 4 includes Joel Kinnaman, Wrenn Schmidt, Krys Marshall, Edi Gathegi, Cynthy Wu and Coral Peña along with new series regulars Toby Kebbell, Tyner Rushing, Daniel Stern and Svetlana Efremova.

So, in order: Ed, Margo, Danielle, Kelly and Aleida from previous seasons. No more Danny misery?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Man I'm super psyched for this new season lol

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Rappaport posted:

So, in order: Ed, Margo, Danielle, Kelly and Aleida from previous seasons. No more Danny misery?

Note: Poochie Danny died on the way back to his home planet

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Mokotow posted:

Holy poo poo that sure is a look for Ed!

Awesome!

he looks like a pervert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

esperantinc posted:

Note: Poochie Danny died on the way back to his home planet

Season 4 finale post-credits sequence: An undead space vampire Danny crawls out of the Hyper-Korean capsule, Sunshine-style sci-fi horror mess in season 5 :hmmno: