Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Yeah I've decided that the best way to do this is go all in. Either I'm right and it's great, or I'm wrong and it's funny.
You discount the possibility that you're right and it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

CapnAndy posted:

You discount the possibility that you're right and it's funny.

Also being wrong and it's greatfor everyone else.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's been interesting reading Way of Kings with having some outside knowledge both due to other books and people.

pik_d no clicky: Like, I know that Wit is Hoid. And I'm curious how long I'm going to have to wait for that reveal. That was thanks to a friend of mine that loves the Stormlight Archive mentioning it a while back.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

It's been interesting reading Way of Kings with having some outside knowledge both due to other books and people.

pik_d no clicky: Like, I know that Wit is Hoid. And I'm curious how long I'm going to have to wait for that reveal. That was thanks to a friend of mine that loves the Stormlight Archive mentioning it a while back.

I'd say like 75% through the first book

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

to be fair, if you have read the other books it's a fair guess that the biggest rear end in a top hat in the room is hoid

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tunicate posted:

to be fair, if you have read the other books it's a fair guess that the biggest rear end in a top hat in the room is hoid

Yeah I remember reading WoK and immediately picking it up solely based on other cosmere books.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tunicate posted:

I'm actually curious to spend (what I assume will be) a larger percentage of time with Hoid since in all the books I've read thus far, he barely has but a few lines.

My greatest fear with regard to the future of the Cosmere as a whole is honestly I hope that Brandon doesn't lean too heavily on Hoid and make him too central of a figure. Cameos are good and such, but now he's the narrator of multiple secret project books. And as of right now, I don't find Hoid to be a particularly compelling or interesting character and I don't want him to turn into Brandon's favorite pet that is the most special boy and boy isn't he clever and amazing and perfect.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

socialsecurity posted:

I'd say like 75% through the first book

I know this is a very silly way to do things, but based on how big the spoiler bar is and what might be revealed at around this point, is it that Wit is Hoid? I've suspected this for a bit but haven't seen those involved for a while.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

I know this is a very silly way to do things, but based on how big the spoiler bar is and what might be revealed at around this point, is it that Wit is Hoid? I've suspected this for a bit but haven't seen those involved for a while.

You're far too good at this.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

You're far too good at this.

Nice. I'm guessing I shouldn't read that longer spoiler bar just above my guess.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pik_d posted:

If you really wanna know Yeah, it's him, at this point though you really aren't supposed to think much of that beyond "haven't I heard that name before" unless you've been exposed to lots of outside the book stuff

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That one isn't particularly well hidden though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

Nice. I'm guessing I shouldn't read that longer spoiler bar just above my guess.

Nah. I think you're probably fine. It was more just me talking about the character in my thoughts in the larger context. The only "spoilers" are the framing conceits for two of the secret project books, but I don't think that really matters.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

socialsecurity posted:

If you really wanna know Yeah, it's him, at this point though you really aren't supposed to think much of that beyond "haven't I heard that name before" unless you've been exposed to lots of outside the book stuff

Elantris/Mistborn Era 1/Warbreaker. This is the first time he hasn't gone by his name, so it was a little bit of a question mark, but it all fit together with the trio searching for Hoid in the wrong place, and him knowing just a bit too much. Knowledge seems to be his thing in all the series I've read so far. It wasn't really a stretch. And after reading those other series I did catch some quote about him basically being in every series, though he wasn't named in Well of Ascension.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pik_d posted:

Elantris/Mistborn Era 1/Warbreaker. This is the first time he hasn't gone by his name, so it was a little bit of a question mark, but it all fit together with the trio searching for Hoid in the wrong place, and him knowing just a bit too much. Knowledge seems to be his thing in all the series I've read so far. It wasn't really a stretch. And after reading those other series I did catch some quote about him basically being in every series, though he wasn't named in Well of Ascension.

It does help that Wit is the name all the King's Wits go by so it's more like a title. But yeah this is the first time you see him do more than 2 sentences worth of things

Mordiceius posted:

I'm actually curious to spend (what I assume will be) a larger percentage of time with Hoid since in all the books I've read thus far, he barely has but a few lines.

My greatest fear with regard to the future of the Cosmere as a whole is honestly I hope that Brandon doesn't lean too heavily on Hoid and make him too central of a figure. Cameos are good and such, but now he's the narrator of multiple secret project books. And as of right now, I don't find Hoid to be a particularly compelling or interesting character and I don't want him to turn into Brandon's favorite pet that is the most special boy and boy isn't he clever and amazing and perfect.

I had these exact same fears It's really not so bad you can tell Sanderson is torn behind making him too much the main character and wanting to use him more. If you've seen Orville it weirdly reminds me of how they handled Seth's character where there's an obvious push to make him the center of things but they are willing to take the piss out of him too.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Tunicate posted:

Aw, come on. Sometimes it's Sadeas.

If we someday discover that this person secretly had really opposite motivations for their actions I am going to be mad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CK07 posted:

Aw, come on. Sometimes it's Sadeas ahgsjfhbjahb.

If we someday discover that this person secretly had really opposite motivations for their actions I am going to be mad.

We've been in their head, they are as bad as we think they are, I'd say there's zero percent chance for that to happen.

Also, people might want to use bigger spoiler bars as to not make it too obvious for our new readers to guess which characters we're talking about based on the length of the bar. This is especially obvious with characters like Wit, of course.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just got my Cosmere lootbox from the Kickstarter. This one is full of stuff I will actually use! It's got a travel toiletries bag (nice and thick and good to stop your shampoo from getting everywhere) as well as a luggage tag.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Quick question I've thought of after the sketch at the end of Way of Kings Chapter 54

(Spoiler for how content is presented, not actual story information) The notes of this sketch are not in English, to me that means that Brandon Sanderson does not want me to know what it says right now. That's fine, if annoying. I do feel like looking for a translation would constitute a spoiler so I don't want to know what it says (yet).

But it made me think about authorial intent of knowledge in the Ars Arcanum, I've been avoiding them until I finish the book because part of the mystery of the magic is clearly explained in some of them, like Mistborn and Warbreaker. How do the rest of y'all treat the Ars Arcanum? Do you look to them before finishing the book or not?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I always read the Ars Arcanum after finishing the books. I've looked at WoK's Ars Arcanum, and it basically doesn't tell you anything you couldn't/shouldn't know. There are some minor fabrials that I don't think made an appearance in the text itself, but it's just a bit of world building. That said, there definitely are spoilers for the novel in there, even if it just explains the used magical powers. I wouldn't recommend reading the Ars Arcanum before finishing a Cosmere novel.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there's also some times at least minor cross-cosmere spoilers in the ars arcanum (though not anything i would personally care about) because they are "written" by an in-world researcher

and although I can't think of anything where it's extremely wrong, that writer has limited knowledge and it's not "objective" material that's guaranteed to be 100% correct

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Quick question I've thought of after the sketch at the end of Way of Kings Chapter 54

(Spoiler for how content is presented, not actual story information) The notes of this sketch are not in English, to me that means that Brandon Sanderson does not want me to know what it says right now. That's fine, if annoying. I do feel like looking for a translation would constitute a spoiler so I don't want to know what it says (yet).
The sketches are in Alethi, which is deliberately a cypher. You'll get a translation key eventually, but even with one, I've never learned the trick of reading the damned language, and you'll never be provided with a direct translation inside the actual books. You can feel free to look up any written Alethi, it's never a spoiler, just cute little worldbuilding notes. In the case of that sketch, it's explaining what the fabrial is for and how it works. There might be a minor spoiler in the information of just who made that sketch, but you're gonna find out sooner than later and it's not meant to be a surprise.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
But searching for stuff online is quite likely to spoil other things, so it may not be worth it to look that up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, I'd forgotten how quickly Mistborn goes from zero to "You are the chosen one Vin"

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ConfusedUs posted:

I just got my Cosmere lootbox from the Kickstarter. This one is full of stuff I will actually use! It's got a travel toiletries bag (nice and thick and good to stop your shampoo from getting everywhere) as well as a luggage tag.

I was pretty pleased with this one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Echophonic posted:

I was pretty pleased with this one.
The hit rate of stuff I actually need/want to useless crap has been tremendous overall. (I remain flummoxed only by the Hoid mousepad and Doomslug ice cube molds, because for both of them I don't actively want them right now, but I can see a use case.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Favorite Cosmere Book: The Emperor's Soul

Favorite Magic System: Allomancy

Knight Radiant Order: ???

Favorite Cosmere Character: Lightsong / Sazed

First Sanderson Book: The Gathering Storm

Book With Best Sanderlanche: The Hero of Ages

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Favorite Cosmere Book: The Final Empire

Favorite Magic System: Allomancy

Knight Radiant Order: ???

Favorite Cosmere Character: Vin / Lightsong / Wayne

First Sanderson Book: The Final Empire

Book With Best Sanderlanche: The Hero of Ages

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Favorite book: Oathbringer

Favorite Magic System: Forgery

Favorite Radiant Order: Edgedancers

Favorite Cosmere Characters: Teft, Breeze, Shai

First Sanderson Book: The Gathering Storm The Final Empire

Favorite Sanderlanche: A Memory of Light Oathbringer

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 9, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
great this thread’s about to become unreadable for two pages

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fair game picking one of his WoT books, I didn't even consider them when thinking of my own selection.

Oathbringer has the best sanderlanche, don't even try to pretend otherwise.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arrath posted:

Did he always look so small?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Arrath posted:

Fair game picking one of his WoT books, I didn't even consider them when thinking of my own selection.

Oathbringer the battle of Thaylen Field and descriptions of later Radiant combat really makes me want a Cosmere Battlefront where you can windrun over Mos Eisley and find enemy Fused to duel

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Half of Dracula posted:

Oathbringer the battle of Thaylen Field and descriptions of later Radiant combat really makes me want a Cosmere Battlefront where you can windrun over Mos Eisley and find enemy Fused to duel

I didn't know I wanted this until just now.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

pik_d posted:

But it made me think about authorial intent of knowledge in the Ars Arcanum, I've been avoiding them until I finish the book because part of the mystery of the magic is clearly explained in some of them, like Mistborn and Warbreaker. How do the rest of y'all treat the Ars Arcanum? Do you look to them before finishing the book or not?
I usually read them partway through the book, once the book itself introduces the magic systems.

eke out posted:

and although I can't think of anything where it's extremely wrong, that writer has limited knowledge and it's not "objective" material that's guaranteed to be 100% correct
One example of the Ars Arcanum being straight up wrong is in the first Mistborn trilogy, which gets corrected in Alloy of Law:

Atium is mistakenly listed in the metals charts in the first three books as though it's one of the base 16 metals. It's not; that spot should actually be Cadmium. Of course, atium was widely considered a normal metal at the time and in any case, Lord Ruler era technology probably didn't even know Cadmium existed, so can't really blame the writer for screwing up the chart.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 9, 2023

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

scary ghost dog posted:

great this thread’s about to become unreadable for two pages

I hate favorite/most wanted lists.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove