Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1689050597079531520?s=19

https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1689040636421230592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The 'paqueta rice' combo was too good for this world

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

The 'paqueta rice' combo was too good for this world

Not too bad for West Ham’s bank account though. Jeez.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

If rice is worth 100mil then paqueta has to be worth at least 90

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

If rice is worth 100mil then paqueta has to be worth at least 90

City can afford it, ask for 150

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://twitter.com/LucaBendoni/status/1688637828660367360

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

lomzus posted:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1688951892334850049

25 + 3 lol

Brentford rejected 40 million from Tottenham earlier in the summer.

bizarre transfer

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsenal actually wanted Raya before they signed Ramsdale. So this is them belatedly acquiring their first choice. It’s probably Ramsdale out next summer. I don’t understand why they extended his contract, presumably on higher wages, just months ago.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Probably for flog him next summer for a good fee

Don’t hoping the good recent vibes aren’t affected. Well worth it if they can challenge this year.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH0HjaJEaw

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Reflecting on how last season Liverpool suffered from a lack of midfielders and so far this summer we've lost five midfielders and signed two.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Reflecting on how last season Liverpool suffered from a lack of midfielders and so far this summer we've lost five midfielders and signed two.

Reducing the numbers of injured midfielders by removing the midfielders. Chess, not checkers.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ramsdale seems like a good lad so I hope this pushes him to become better and stay no.1 rather then see him.get the boot.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

vyelkin posted:

it's because we're apparently now following the miser model of offering slightly increasing bids until we inevitably have to just pay the original asking price

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ramsdale seems like a good lad so I hope this pushes him to become better and stay no.1 rather then see him.get the boot.

Yeah same. Love how the team attitude changed when he stepped in for Leno, the defense also seems to work well with him too. And importantly he’s definitely one of the “seven” that Tony Adams mentioned long ago that every top team needs.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
do city even need paqueta

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Oh for fucks sake. West Ham finally look like they’re going to sign someone and then this happens

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Akbar posted:

it's because we're apparently now following the miser model of offering slightly increasing bids until we inevitably have to just pay the original asking price
Isn’t that the old (?) United Way?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Oh for fucks sake. West Ham finally look like they’re going to sign someone and then this happens

It’s ok though, we’re replacing him with Harry Maguire and James Ward-Prowse.

https://twitter.com/footballjoe/status/1689205475202551808?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

https://twitter.com/jacobsteinberg/status/1689204262025175040?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

This transfer window is nothing but pain

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I don't think that's the worst set of signings. They're clearly going to play Moyes ball - sit deep and rely on counterattacks and corners to score. All of which will reward the best traits of those three and hide their weaknesses. Caps out at finishing 12th and having a bit of fun in Europe, but they'll get relegated without them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tarbrush posted:

I don't think that's the worst set of signings. They're clearly going to play Moyes ball - sit deep and rely on counterattacks and corners to score. All of which will reward the best traits of those three and hide their weaknesses. Caps out at finishing 12th and having a bit of fun in Europe, but they'll get relegated without them

it's not but losing paqueta would be losing the main reason we improved in the last couple of months of the season

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tbh I think both Maguire and Ward-Prowse will be excellent for West Ham. Ward-Prowse is tailor-made for Moyes, and Maguire was great for Man Utd until the pressure and toxicity became too much under the last season of Ole. A fresh start will do him worlds of good.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it'll be funny when maguire starts playing really well but never gets near an england shirt again now he's not at A Big Club

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ward-Prowse is gonna get homesick and sold back to Soton in a year for a pittance

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I always said David Moyes was a great manager for Manchester United.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/kierangill_DM/status/1689198568295297025

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

tarbrush posted:

We just hired a new DoF to try and build us up for the future and then we spend 60 million on brexitball players with no resale value as well as selling our best players. It’s going to be absolute death to watch

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Matt Turner to Nottingham Forest is a done deal

https://twitter.com/NFFC/status/1689215191073099776

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

It’s going to be absolute death to watch

Oh god yes, awful. But they're in the very worst position possible - everyone knows they've got tons of money, everyone knows their best players have a price, and everyone suspects they're going to go down. I think they're better off going Brexit than going down

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
What are you doing Bayern ?

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1689170143937540096

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Tbh I think both Maguire and Ward-Prowse will be excellent for West Ham. Ward-Prowse is tailor-made for Moyes, and Maguire was great for Man Utd until the pressure and toxicity became too much under the last season of Ole. A fresh start will do him worlds of good.

yeah they both seem like good players for a Moyesball setup

Nuclear Spoon posted:

do city even need paqueta

they did lose Mahrez and Gundogan this summer so it's not hugely surprising Guardiola wants some replacement squad depth in the creative attacking midfielder role

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Oh god yes, awful. But they're in the very worst position possible - everyone knows they've got tons of money, everyone knows their best players have a price, and everyone suspects they're going to go down. I think they're better off going Brexit than going down

Can’t wait for the blistering pace of a midfield three off Alvarez, Soucek and Ward-Prowse. Counting the forward passes on one hand

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

We just hired a new DoF to try and build us up for the future and then we spend 60 million on brexitball players with no resale value as well as selling our best players. It’s going to be absolute death to watch

it will probably not surprise you that apparently there's been conflict between Moyes and your new DOF, with Moyes wanting proven Premier League players and the DOF wanting to build for the future by signing young Europeans. Signing Maguire and Ward-Prowse seems to show who's winning that argument

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Bayern are loving haplessly bumbling around the important gaps in our squad this transfer season so far:

- Neuer is old and broken
- A Defensive midfielder needs to balance Kimmichs tendency to go forward attacking all the time
- No first team quality #9 striker in the squad

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

vyelkin posted:

it will probably not surprise you that apparently there's been conflict between Moyes and your new DOF, with Moyes wanting proven Premier League players and the DOF wanting to build for the future by signing young Europeans. Signing Maguire and Ward-Prowse seems to show who's winning that argument

Exactly. In a vacuum, West Ham should be biting City’s hand off of they meet the 85 million valuation for Paqueta (or even a bit less). Then you remember that the first thing Moyes would do with that money is spunk 45 million on Scott McTominay and the whole thing starts looking less appealing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He’s going to bring fellaini back from China and you all know it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Marijuana Felony

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I’m following the premier league for the first time ever. Is there a limit to rostered or active players? I know there’s not a salary cap like in American sports, but can you load up with enough players for league play and tournament play in Europe?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I’m following the premier league for the first time ever. Is there a limit to rostered or active players? I know there’s not a salary cap like in American sports, but can you load up with enough players for league play and tournament play in Europe?

Different competitions have different squad sizes. So the premier league, you can have a maximum of 23, of which 8 must be "home grown" (trained in England for several years as a youth) or under 21.

I forget what the squad rules are for Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tarbrush posted:

Different competitions have different squad sizes. So the premier league, you can have a maximum of 23, of which 8 must be "home grown" (trained in England for several years as a youth) or under 21.

I forget what the squad rules are for Europe

It's 25 for the Prem these days, same as the Champions League. Same restrictions as well.

You can have 100 players under 21 in your squad as long as you can provide them all with squad numbers.

E: Homegrown doesn't have anything to do with nationality, for clarification sake, it's just a player who spent 3 seasons or 36 months in England with a league club before they turn 21.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/102383