Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
When the war is over they should let every Ukrainian logistics officer get a free kick to putins balls for putting them through the bullshit of having to maintain such a diverse array of equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

TulliusCicero posted:

I truly have no idea how Russia thought it could win an arms supply war against the US

Like you morons sell your factory parts to fund Dachas, there is a town in the Midwest that literally can't stop building tanks or its economy would collapse.

good old Lima, my Army NG unit was head quartered there

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

HonorableTB posted:

Do those companies and factories still exist 106 years later? Currently the US produces this ammunition in two locations: the Scranton plant I linked earlier and a General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems facility in Wilkes Barre. There's a third facility for actually filling and fuzing the shells in Iowa.

The Army is also currently under contract to build another facility with a Canadian company, and is building yet another factory in Texas with General Dynamics. The Army put 2.5 billion into modernizing shell production and increasing production capacity and the Iowa filling and fuzing facility is being expanded along with a new production facility being constructed in Kansas.

That is a lot of infrastructure and investment for an ammunition caliber nobody thought would be required again in the amounts that are needed because shell production takes years to spin up, and years ago nobody who could have done anything about this thought Russia would smash itself to bits in a near-peer war.
When I was in college back in the early 90s I drove past an ammunition manufacturing plant in Sauk City, Wisconsin. Apparently it was the biggest plant in the US for quite a while. I just looked it up and it was torn down around 2013 and the land sold off.

Anecdotally, besides the giant gently caress-off plant they made ammo at the thing I remember the most about the area was that it was so incredibly flat! Sauk City seemed to rest in some huge plain adjacent to a river. Also, some guy near the plant made these huge sculptures out of scrap metal and parked them outside his studio. It was right across the road from the ammo plant.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

When the war is over they should let every Ukrainian logistics officer get a free kick to putins balls for putting them through the bullshit of having to maintain such a diverse array of equipment.

When this war is over NATO should have a Ukrainian branch

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

RIVER CROSSING! a second bridgehead opened on the water on front.

I cannot show the source as it's ukrainians landing on boats into Russian gunfire and moving inland.

I think it was reported yesterday as well, but the vdv has moved out of the kherson area to provide relief to the forces on the southern front of zapo. This of course allows Ukraine combat maneuverability in the area letting them do probing attacks and conduct River crossing operations.

I've said this before and I'll say it again Russia does not have a strategic reserve to rely on at this point and literally is having to sacrifice the vdv to shore up anything it can at this point. We will see what this maneuver does in the next week or so and what it really means for the front line as a whole. I mean potentially Russia thinks like every other person in the world that Ukraine would never conduct a river crossing but there's one man who actually said this a long time ago. I won't say that man's name. I'll give you a hint its W** ***ME G***LO.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

RIVER CROSSING! a second bridgehead opened on the water on front.

I cannot show the source as it's ukrainians landing on boats into Russian gunfire and moving inland.

I think it was reported yesterday as well, but the vdv has moved out of the kherson area to provide relief to the forces on the southern front of zapo. This of course allows Ukraine combat maneuverability in the area letting them do probing attacks and conduct River crossing operations.

I've said this before and I'll say it again Russia does not have a strategic reserve to rely on at this point and literally is having to sacrifice the vdv to shore up anything it can at this point. We will see what this maneuver does in the next week or so and what it really means for the front line as a whole. I mean potentially Russia thinks like every other person in the world that Ukraine would never conduct a river crossing but there's one man who actually said this a long time ago. I won't say that man's name. I'll give you a hint its W** ***ME G***LO.

good ol Wan Slime Gelatlo

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

fondue posted:

When I was in college back in the early 90s I drove past an ammunition manufacturing plant in Sauk City, Wisconsin. Apparently it was the biggest plant in the US for quite a while. I just looked it up and it was torn down around 2013 and the land sold off.

Anecdotally, besides the giant gently caress-off plant they made ammo at the thing I remember the most about the area was that it was so incredibly flat! Sauk City seemed to rest in some huge plain adjacent to a river. Also, some guy near the plant made these huge sculptures out of scrap metal and parked them outside his studio. It was right across the road from the ammo plant.

The World of Dr. Evermor. Yeah, it was right across the road from the ammo plant. We used to pass that when going from Madison to Devil's Lake.

https://www.worldofdrevermor.com/

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

PDP-1 posted:

The World of Dr. Evermor. Yeah, it was right across the road from the ammo plant. We used to pass that when going from Madison to Devil's Lake.

I wish I'd stopped by, must have drove past there at least four times a year for a few years on my way to visit my fiancée.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

PDP-1 posted:

Apparently that super nintendo game had more backstory than they let on

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I've said this before and I'll say it again Russia does not have a strategic reserve to rely on at this point and literally is having to sacrifice the vdv to shore up anything it can at this point.

Russian parable of Little Blyat Boy sticking his fingers into bridgeheads along the Dyknipro finally coming home to roost :byetankie:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Also ABBA's latest album

Voyage was good. Is there another one?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I've said this before and I'll say it again Russia does not have a strategic reserve to rely on at this point and literally is having to sacrifice the vdv to shore up anything it can at this point.

At this risk of getting tankied, haven't the VDV been destroyed multiple times over at this point? I swear to god I've heard this multiple times already, I've started roll my eyes at it the same way I do when I hear the third nato army of the year month week got destroyed. I haven't even been seriously following the war for that long.

Also, that they can move the VDV in to reinforce indicates the VDV are the strategic reserve, yeah? Like if I was a general, I would be more worried if all I had left to stop and counter-attack an enemy push was conscripts, who will probably get blended into paste for little effect, vs my supposedly elite guys who might actually do something? Yeah, all things being equal, you don't want your elites eating poo poo on the line for no reason, but trying to stop an attack calls for sending in your elites as common sense?

IDK man I just don't get how you get so much "this is it for russia" from VDV moving around, it's baffling to me. I see that and I think that it sounds reasonable move? If they sent the new and improved fourth conscript guard with bolt-action rifles and footwraps instead, I'd be way more optimistic a collapse is right around the corner.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

HonorableTB posted:

I'll grant that Sweden does not appear to have a written requirement but uh, it does make it hard to do the forms without knowing Swedish (or someone else fills them out for you I guess).

Yeah, that's bullshit. When I was still on work visas you didn't even get the option to fill them out in Swedish.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

At this risk of getting tankied, haven't the VDV been destroyed multiple times over at this point? I swear to god I've heard this multiple times already, I've started roll my eyes at it the same way I do when I hear the third nato army of the year month week got destroyed. I haven't even been seriously following the war for that long.

The VDV are a ship of Theseus rear end regiment.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1689150882640748544#m

quote:

Ground Control to Major Tom(ov). An update from Egor Guzenko on the whereabouts of the recon group under command of Major Tomov near Kozachi Laheri.

➡️Tomov's group was ambushed, survivors are POW
➡️A total of 25 soldiers were either killed or captured including 3 officers
➡️AFU captured weapons, radio stations, phones, ammo and other valuable information during the attack

Guzenko ends with an advice to all Russian soldiers: stop lying to the higher command

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
ChrisO thread on programme of forced military recruitment in Russian penal colonies

threadreaderapp

quote:

5/ Reports indicate that a widespread forcible mobilisation is imminent. "There was a rumor in the colonies in different regions that they would be taken away, but not on a voluntary basis," according to one relative. As many as 100,000 men are said to have been listed. Relatives say that preparations are being made to forcibly mobilise prisoners from penal colonies in the Novosibirsk, Saratov, Lipetsk, Voronezh, Rostov, Tomsk, and Nizhny Novgorod regions.

7/ A mobilisation on this scale is likely to raise some serious issues, however. Gulagu reports that the Federal Penitentiary Service's leadership is concerned about "wide publicity, possible riots and loss of control over the situation in the colonies (and what do [the prisoners] have to lose if in two weeks they are thrown out to the front line under artillery and mines?)."

8/ It reports that "the Director of the Federal Penitentiary Service was instructed to intensify operational work to force convicts to write handwritten statements about their alleged desire to go to the front." In practice, this seems to have meant using torture and beatings to 'motivate' prisoners to sign military contracts.

9/ Some men have been exempted, including HIV-infected people and those with a "low social status", likely the ostracised and sexually abused convicts known as 'cocks' in Russian prison slang (see the explainer below).
https://mastodon.social/@ChrisO_wiki/110062429436511177 This potentially offers a way out for the desperate. According to one person speaking of the colonies in the Novosibirsk region, "People are looking for some options, up to obtaining an HIV status, so as not to go to the Special Military Operation zone."

Also - Ukraine to receive 100 Satcube satellite communication terminals

quote:

However, communication with geostationary satellites is more difficult to jam.
Satcube utilizes the satellite network of the American company Intelsat.
Elon Musk's company SpaceX has provided Ukraine with over 40,000 terminals connected to the Starlink satellite network.

also also - damaged ship moved to drydock

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 9, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

quote:

7/ A mobilisation on this scale is likely to raise some serious issues, however. Gulagu reports that the Federal Penitentiary Service's leadership is concerned about "wide publicity, possible riots and loss of control over the situation in the colonies (and what do [the prisoners] have to lose if in two weeks they are thrown out to the front line under artillery and mines?)."

Surely this time the people won't stand for this abuse and blindly follow orders straight off a cliff!!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://t.me/Tsaplienko/37194

quote:

🔥An explosion was heard near a naval base in Vladivostok, Russia.

Local authorities say that Russian special services ordered not to comment on the incident until the circumstances are clarified.
:troll:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Large explosion reported in optical and mechanical plant in Sergyev Posad near Moscow

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

shadow puppet of a posted:

Every small arms caliber you add delays the forward operating deployment of the mobile armored Burger King by oh-12:00 hours.

Can we combine them? Free ammunition as a gift with every Happy Meal! Order a Double Wopper and onion rings now and receive extra ammunition of your caliber of choice.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

That's really bad optics for the Russian war effort. :haw:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Oh poo poo! They glassed Moscow!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

MikusR posted:

Voyage was good. Is there another one?

Bro what

That poo poo was loving TRASH dude

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Good job wasting a dozen hypersonic incels on dummy aircraft. :byetankie:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

zone posted:

I think that the aircraft weren't the only dummies here.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1689168471366467584#m
:dukedog:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

Well, 12 destroyed SU-24s is staying on the list, for a total of 583 destroyed aircraft!

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Well, 12 destroyed SU-24s is staying on the list, for a total of 583 destroyed aircraft!

Secret Ukrainian aerospace labs.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1689212843193745408#m

quote:

"The collective West is waging a proxy war against Russia, providing unprecedented support to the puppet Kyiv regime," Sergei Shoigu said at a gathering of the Russian Ministry of Defense.

"The willingness of the West to invest in Ukraine a significant part of its available resources in order to turn the situation on the battlefield in its favor creates serious risks of further escalation of the conflict," he added.
TIL small amounts of 80s and 90s tech, not even aircraft yet, is enough to break glorious Puccia in a straight fight to the point where they have to land mine everything to hell just to desperately hold on to what they have, while failing at it. And this Tuvan moron thinks that's a "significant" amount of resources. My dear man, you're losing to NATO's spare change and hand me downs. No amount of cope will change that.

https://twitter.com/parrot_soldier/status/1689178218723459072#m
Another chopper of some kind appears to have bit the dust today.

zone fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 9, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Eediot Jedi posted:

Also, that they can move the VDV in to reinforce indicates the VDV are the strategic reserve, yeah? Like if I was a general, I would be more worried if all I had left to stop and counter-attack an enemy push was conscripts, who will probably get blended into paste for little effect, vs my supposedly elite guys who might actually do something? Yeah, all things being equal, you don't want your elites eating poo poo on the line for no reason, but trying to stop an attack calls for sending in your elites as common sense?

IDK man I just don't get how you get so much "this is it for russia" from VDV moving around, it's baffling to me. I see that and I think that it sounds reasonable move? If they sent the new and improved fourth conscript guard with bolt-action rifles and footwraps instead, I'd be way more optimistic a collapse is right around the corner.

Ah yes, the "elite" VDV, who successfully dropped into an airport under heavy artillery and anti air fire with no air support and got grounded into a fine mist, to the point that conscripts are pretty much the majority of its ranks?

That VDV?

They're glorified riot cops with parachutes lmao

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 9, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Somewhere in Texas, a sheriff jerks awake with a brilliant idea...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Drone_Fragger posted:

Anecdotally a lot of mobas are "Quiet" right now because large swathes of russian players are unable to play either due to sanctions violations, being gated to russia servers, or having the game blocked entirely by the russian government for being perfidious russia propaganda. Occasionally as well theyre turning the internet off across russia when bad news is being spread and they don't like it. Happened over the pissgoblin mutiny for instance.

A while ago Wargaming, the guys who operate World of Tanks and World of Warships, closed their RU servers and allowed people to migrate to the EU servers. There were already plenty of RU/UA players on the EU servers before then, but now there's LOTS.

Anyway, I've started saying "Слава Україні!" in the all chat prior to games. If there's any answer, it's usually there's one of two options: "Героям слава!" or a long rant in Russian, and for the second guys I have a second stored line in Russian about my views on Putin ready to drop in chat. Over this past year it has made plenty of people so loving incandescent that they either spend a ton of time in the game yelling in Russian at me, or after the game in private messages.

I don't give a poo poo if you're a Russian guy who wants to play on EU servers, but if you're the kind of Russian guy who feels the need to do racisms at Ukrainians and defend King Putin and his Dirlewagner Brigades everywhere, then gently caress off.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

A while ago Wargaming, the guys who operate World of Tanks and World of Warships, closed their RU servers and allowed people to migrate to the EU servers. There were already plenty of RU/UA players on the EU servers before then, but now there's LOTS.

Anyway, I've started saying "Слава Україні!" in the all chat prior to games. If there's any answer, it's usually there's one of two options: "Героям слава!" or a long rant in Russian, and for the second guys I have a second stored line in Russian about my views on Putin ready to drop in chat. Over this past year it has made plenty of people so loving incandescent that they either spend a ton of time in the game yelling in Russian at me, or after the game in private messages.

I don't give a poo poo if you're a Russian guy who wants to play on EU servers, but if you're the kind of Russian guy who feels the need to do racisms at Ukrainians and defend King Putin and his Dirlewagner Brigades everywhere, then gently caress off.

I played Warthunder back in 2014 and me and my buddy painted our planes like the Ukrainian flag and changed our contrails to be yellow and blue and started every match by climbing and saying "No Russia in Ukraine."

The amount of lovely YAK-9s stall-climbing up to try and shoot us was funny.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

TulliusCicero posted:

Ah yes, the "elite" VDV, who successfully dropped into an airport under heavy artillery and anti air fire with no air support and got grounded into a fine mist, to the point that conscripts are pretty much the majority of its ranks?

That VDV?

I understood that by all accounts the VDV in that airport thing actually accomplished what they were supposed to do. Just... you know, they weren't supposed to then end up having to sit there and defend it. The other guys were supposed to show up. And then they didn't. And then it turns out that elite light infantry is still light infantry and will get hosed up hard if there's nobody to support them?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Anyone defending glorious Puccia for any reason anywhere should be accepted nowhere. It's just that simple. Genocide apologists should end up as pariahs of the earth, neither more nor less.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

lmao I painted a bunch of Soviet tanks in Ukrainian colours and would post "Пу́тин — хуйло́!" during the countdown. Needless to say it would rile up a certain sort of player, and I've been called a 'nazi' and a 'jew' (often by the same player!) for doing so.

:allears:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status/1689218348779786240
Eat poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Smoking kills.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

TulliusCicero posted:

That VDV?

How much of the vdv do you think took part in that battle? 10%, 25%, 50%, 80%? It was like 700, they had 40,000+ of them, which is interesting given the official the other day said they've taken 30,000 casualties. I do remember reports about their casualties being so heavy it would take them years to recover (their quality) months into the war, are you thinking of that?

I'm not saying they're high speed low drag terminators that can turn the tide, it's just I've heard "haha they're sending in the vdv, it's so over", several times before in this thread, and it's like... Yeah? And? How is that significant? Would you not??? I don't see it as significant or unexpected and I'm wondering why Giggolo does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IIRC the 155mm shell production in the US is heavily centralized at only two locations. If it's similar in Russia this could have taken out a huge chunk of their production capacity for months.