Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

empireofcrime posted:

what disease is going to snap people out of capitalist malaise treat mode? exploding organ syndrome? a disease that makes you smell like poo poo? what is it gonna take

'When will people stop selfishly seeking self-gratification at the expense of societal wellbeing' is the wrong question.

As long as bosses are allowed to demand people's labor in exchange for pay, and as long as landlords are allowed to demand that pay in exchange for housing, people will demand to be allowed to do things they enjoy outside of work hours. The majority of people will not tolerate (what they perceive to be) a life of pure toil without material reward.

The real question is 'how long will capital value wealth extraction over public health', and the answer is 'literally forever'.

The only way people begin acting in the interests of public health is if capital is brought to heel and public health becomes a good-faith bargain between the individual and society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
One of the two restaurants in town closed last night, night before due to "illness"

They aren't open tues/weds anyway... Let's see if they can keep the streak goinnnn

Open
Er
Uuuup

Andthencloseerdown

Morbus
May 18, 2004

empireofcrime posted:

what disease is going to snap people out of capitalist malaise treat mode? exploding organ syndrome? a disease that makes you smell like poo poo? what is it gonna take

Sometimes I wonder how bad public health would have to be to collapse industrial capitalism, then I remember victorian england and lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ibid posted:

cautioning pillowpants, who has LC, not to take a ten day course of pax and take a five day course instead because of "stewardship" and rebound.

It’s terrible advice, but it’s an accurate preview of our looming future in which such restrictions will be enforced against plebeians but not patricians.

The post‐antibiotic future is already here–it’s just not evenly distributed.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
Big Worker sounds like an op to me.

https://twitter.com/Big_Worker/status/1688168272162598914

e: it's about the dsa thing, not too many masks at a fascists meeting I bet. lol.

quote:

Wow great drawings! What's with so many people wearing masks in them though? Seems like they would be a very rough way to spend a multi-day convention

https://nitter.net/Big_Worker/status/1688168272162598914#m

ibid has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Aug 9, 2023

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

It’s terrible advice, but it’s an accurate preview of our looming future in which such restrictions will be enforced against plebeians but not patricians.

Was it Fauci or Walensky who gave themselves a double dose?

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

Platystemon posted:

And poppers, it seems, will be one of the people doing the enforcing. A scab.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DickParasite posted:

That was Anthony Stephen Fauci, MD, the world’s foremost expert on infectious disease.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

That was Anthony Stephen Fauci, MD, the world’s foremost expert on infectious disease.

Infinite paxlovid for me, hand sanitizer for thee.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

CGI Stardust posted:

my first thought is women might be more represented due to type of employment leading to greater exposure and infection rates - in the UK, USA, and Canada ~75% of teachers are women; that would probably have an impact. idk how that breaks down for the medical profession in each country (or other high-exposure occupations); might be similar?

But it's people who have symptoms past 3 months as a pecentage of people who get infected, so that's factored in..

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

HazCat posted:

'When will people stop selfishly seeking self-gratification at the expense of societal wellbeing' is the wrong question.

As long as bosses are allowed to demand people's labor in exchange for pay, and as long as landlords are allowed to demand that pay in exchange for housing, people will demand to be allowed to do things they enjoy outside of work hours. The majority of people will not tolerate (what they perceive to be) a life of pure toil without material reward.

The real question is 'how long will capital value wealth extraction over public health', and the answer is 'literally forever'.

The only way people begin acting in the interests of public health is if capital is brought to heel and public health becomes a good-faith bargain between the individual and society.

good post

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

If there are any Trek fans here, Wil Wheaton posted this masked video (sorry, can't embed Instagram).

I know it doesn't really matter, but it's nice when folks with a broader audience publicly acknowledge this poo poo. I also saw Seth MacFarlane mention long COVID on Twitter (and subsequently get dogpiled on). Celebs plz save us, it's the only way people will listen!

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

CPU Abuser posted:

Why not use an elastomeric?

mentioned it in a separate post but i've tried one before, my nose is crooked, so i can't get a good seal on the left side of one

9105 works great for me though, easily the best of the disposables

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Jort Fortress posted:

If there are any Trek fans here, Wil Wheaton posted this masked video (sorry, can't embed Instagram).

I know it doesn't really matter, but it's nice when folks with a broader audience publicly acknowledge this poo poo. I also saw Seth MacFarlane mention long COVID on Twitter (and subsequently get dogpiled on). Celebs plz save us, it's the only way people will listen!

if tom hanks had died of Covid in 2020 we’d have beaten it.
corollary: if he died of Covid tomorrow it wouldn’t change anyone’s mind

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hailthefish posted:

Yes! YES! IT'S CRAZY AND EXHAUSTING HOW loving INSANE IT IS! Like, say what you will about Open Biden it's at least a completely straightforward and uncomplicated assertion that Applebee's and office building landlords are more important than however many people die and they're done pretending otherwise.

But the magnificent mental gymnastics of simultaneously believing that covid is a Chinese supervirus designed in a lab to destroy western civilization but also no more dangerous than the flu or indeed the common cold but also the vaccine against the harmless lab grown supervirus happens to cause all the symptoms attributed to said vorus while also being able to be spread interpersonally somehow and therefore we have a moral imperative to not take any mitigating precaution against spreading disease interpersonally and in fact violence to prevent ANYONE from doing so may even be morally justified because that's the new world order great reset blue helmets doing social control on us for <reasons>...

I just...

it makes my head hurt
lol for real it's amazing how stupid and dumb this hell world is, was, and always will be

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

DickParasite posted:

Walensky was the one who got Covid and then disappeared for like 17 days - a totally normal thing that us pleabs can definitely also do.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
maybe covid was right

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

fosborb posted:

maybe covid was right

lol, this is what 2 yrs of people demanding to see your smile drives a person to

Griz
May 21, 2001

tuyop posted:

I have hope that the global nature of our civilization and the technical bottlenecks we have (like how many people actually know how to fix a modern dairy’s machines? how many people know how to train those people? etc) will buck this historical trend since we could just run out of people who can do the work that needs to happen. but when that happened before, capital just expanded the membership until literal children are doing vital work. may be no hope, idk.
that stuff is just basic tubes and pumps, the limiting factor is probably the rubber/silicone parts

but then even if you run out of those you can some dudes to manually milk the cows for a share of the cheese

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
yeah that’s right. they’ll definitely just downgrade their tech level before anything lets up.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

hailthefish posted:

Yes! YES! IT'S CRAZY AND EXHAUSTING HOW loving INSANE IT IS! Like, say what you will about Open Biden it's at least a completely straightforward and uncomplicated assertion that Applebee's and office building landlords are more important than however many people die and they're done pretending otherwise.

But the magnificent mental gymnastics of simultaneously believing that covid is a Chinese supervirus designed in a lab to destroy western civilization but also no more dangerous than the flu or indeed the common cold but also the vaccine against the harmless lab grown supervirus happens to cause all the symptoms attributed to said vorus while also being able to be spread interpersonally somehow and therefore we have a moral imperative to not take any mitigating precaution against spreading disease interpersonally and in fact violence to prevent ANYONE from doing so may even be morally justified because that's the new world order great reset blue helmets doing social control on us for <reasons>...

I just...

it makes my head hurt

It's funny because i've been hung up on that mental gynastics poo poo ever since someone linked this comic about someone catching covid and bringing it to FFXIV's fanfest: https://twitter.com/Fenrir74/status/1687861130562273281?s=20

and they (and everyone on twitter) is jumping on them for being sick in public and I've honestly got more sympathy for the comic artist than the people jumping on them at this point

like the options, at this point, are
- you subscribe to the reality that what Everyone Told You is true, Covid is over and No Big Deal and Get Out And Live, or
- you subscribe to the reality that it's actually still a problem, and everyone treating it like no problem is a bigger problem, and public health is a dead concept and even the idea of masking to prevent the infection of yourself and others has been reduced to "it's a personal decision :)" so maybe you should be yelling about that aspect of it?

but you can't have it both ways, it's not "it's not a problem until someone mentions they got unlucky in which case it's now their own personal failing and they should be dragged over the coals for catching an infectious disease that everyone told them they could ignore", gently caress outta here, and i guarantee any of those fuckers yelling are doing equally risky poo poo and either just haven't gotten unlucky or more likely did get unlucky but just didn't bother testing because "it's just allergies/a cold/con funk, don't worry about it" so they're clear of this extreme moral failing, unlike the comic artist, who sure as gently caress won't be telling anyone next time they test positive

good job, everyone! public health is solved!

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
Anywhere the rich go, sickness will follow them

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Tzen posted:

lol for real it's amazing how stupid and dumb this hell world is, was, and always will be

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

ibid posted:

And poppers, it seems, will be one of the people doing the enforcing. A scab.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

he's qualified to give himself 100 days of pax if he wants. nobody here is qualified to even glance at paxlovid without proper eye protection. :smug:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Where is the latest covid lineage map

Public schools started here yesterday, gonna go get a booster shot

Presumably the new XBB booster will be available sometime before Thanksgiving? Kind of surprised it wasn't ready for first week of school

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Kind of surprised it wasn't ready for first week of school

Why? What about the response to this crisis made you think that it'd be ready in a timely fashion?

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Hadlock posted:

Presumably the new XBB booster will be available sometime before Thanksgiving? Kind of surprised it wasn't ready for first week of school

They haven't even decided who will "qualify" for one. It might only be recommended for the elderly and immunocompromised bc we live in hell

But maybe it won't matter anyway since XBB will have peaced out by then :lol:

Indoor Dying has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Aug 9, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7264546722511211781

fever is out of the top 10 symptoms of Eris (EG.5.1)

currently 1/7 of cases in the US
and then I asked about it becoming the dominant strain and..

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

e: idk why that one is highlighted. The top one is the one they are talking about.

Steve Yun posted:

appears to be the fastest growing variant

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Also why would there be a booster shot ready for school starting? Covid is mild, kids don't get covid, schools are not disease pits, hell they don't even get vaccinated against covid statistically speaking!

lol my good man lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tangy yet delightful posted:

Also why would there be a booster shot ready for school starting? Covid is mild, kids don't get covid, schools are not disease pits, hell they don't even get vaccinated against covid statistically speaking!

This is not the JCVI tryout Zoom meeting.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Aug 9, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Platystemon posted:

This is not the JCVI tryout Zoom meeting.

ah yep sorry I was in the wrong tab :derp:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10176264/

how COVID can infect you in shared meal situations!

we noticed that a lot of people get infected in restaurants and bars! we think it might be the removal of masks and the spittle getting onto your food. did we bother to separate the two factors to see if one was more responsible for infections than the other? no!

look at all these droplets you emit when having a conversation! did we measure aerosols? no!

anyways, consider having plexiglass between you and your guest or sitting side by side so that their infected droplets don’t get on your food!

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Lmao it works when vomiting blood too!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I briefly felt like I was going to have some kind of stress-based medical event myself.

Yes, how mysterious, how could dining with other people allow you to be vulnerable to a pathogen borne on the air? Truly, a mystery for the ages, because the economy runs on restaurants and dining out can't be inherently risky, reality simply wouldn't permit that, so it must be that you need to sit side by side instead because man it seems like people get sick in shared dining arrangements a lot even though the government keeps saying dining out is safe the virus must be using some sneaky workaround to our detente

So, either by callousness or idiocy we've arrived at maliciousness. Just terrible, terrible advice. At least people who acknowledge that they aren't going to change their behavior because they don't give a poo poo are honest; this garbage advice of 'SURELY this One Weird Trick is how you won't catch a highly infectious disease while sharing the plague air!' poo poo should, in a slightly better world, trigger some kind of trial process or inquiry or whatever to determine what dumbass gave the go-ahead to publish this and why.

Shady Amish Terror has issued a correction as of 08:08 on Aug 9, 2023

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
(SAFELY)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

perennial thread title

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

The other day, I saw someone telling a local weatherman to stop reporting on the high temperatures because it's trying to control people?

What are you going to put your trust in, the TV weather man's "numbers" and "facts" or using your eyes to look out the window at the lovely and obviously non-apocalyptic weather???

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I dropped into my local pharmacist so I could check out their availability on Flo Travel saline nasal spray with carrageenan:

.... and to confirm that the bottles didn't have a foil seal. The nasal spray was ready to go when I opened the pack, also the nozzle is heat-shrunk onto the bottle and not screw on so if they had put a foil seal under there I wouldn't have even been able to access it

E: also a funny sign I spotted. We used to have signs absolutely everywhere warning everyone "Keep 1.5m distance at all times!!! Oh god, the covid will get you if you get any closer!!!" but what happens if your building has a tiny elevator and it's not physically possible for two people to get inside it and move 1.5m away from each other?

Life finds a way!

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 07:30 on Aug 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danru
May 23, 2022

Really important pre-print just dropped. Recent XBB infections will not save us from EG, also humoral immunity induced by breakthrough infection appears to be declining with the emergence of new dominant variants

https://twitter.com/systemsvirology/status/1689151538038743040?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg

https://twitter.com/systemsvirology/status/1689151582435528704?s=46&t=J2BqIfsmzti0Wyc0pYNkXg