Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nitrox posted:

Are low resistance tires trading traction for longevity?

the general tradeoff is you're losing some grip performance, typically in the dry. most EVs are not really good handling driver's cars so it doesn't really matter vs the reduced range. But if I bought a Taycan I'd probably suck it up and put PS4S on it and accept a little range reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Michelin don't make PS4S in the right size!

:sad:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Michelin don't make PS4S in the right size!

:sad:

buy aftermarket wheels :birddrugs:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think it's probably a terminology issue. Someone in the US would call this an all-season tire: https://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/n_fera_au7 which is the stock tire on the Jetta here. I'm not sure what SlowBloke would call it.

No mountain peak (3MPSF) means it's a summer tire here in ye olde continent. Michelin cross climate for europe and us markets are two entirely different beasts last time I checked. Stellantis as a reference uses Goodyear efficientgrip performance 2 tires on most of their non luxury vehicles and it's a economy summer model https://eprel.ec.europa.eu/screen/product/tyres/1271225

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 8, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just drove through a driving rainstorm in my RWD Ioniq 6 and got a couple of mild traction slips when going around corners. Nothing where the car even went off course, but I felt the tires slip slightly, and I think the traction control system kicked in once. It came with Pirelli P-Zero all-season tires, and they only have about 2500 miles on them.

It may just be that I'm not used to a RWD car (or the extra responsiveness of an EV), but I never had traction issues during normal driving with my FWD Fusion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

No mountain peak (3MPSF) means it's a summer tire here in ye olde continent. Michelin cross climate for europe and us markets are two entirely different beasts last time I checked. Stellantis as a reference uses Goodyear efficientgrip performance 2 tires on most of their non luxury vehicles and it's a economy summer model https://eprel.ec.europa.eu/screen/product/tyres/1271225

yeah that ain't really how we do it, 3MPSF is relatively newer and scarce here, and we've had "all-season" (more properly three-season) tires for a long time. mostly when people say summer tires here they mean summer performance tires

WhiteHowler posted:

I just drove through a driving rainstorm in my RWD Ioniq 6 and got a couple of mild traction slips when going around corners. Nothing where the car even went off course, but I felt the tires slip slightly, and I think the traction control system kicked in once. It came with Pirelli P-Zero all-season tires, and they only have about 2500 miles on them.

It may just be that I'm not used to a RWD car (or the extra responsiveness of an EV), but I never had traction issues during normal driving with my FWD Fusion.

EVs are pretty high torque so you're more likely to get wheel slip when you stab the throttle.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WhiteHowler posted:

A slushbox FWD ford probably isn’t capable of breaking the tires loose even in the rain.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah that ain't really how we do it, 3MPSF is relatively newer and scarce here, and we've had "all-season" (more properly three-season) tires for a long time. mostly when people say summer tires here they mean summer performance tires

3MPSF all season tires were widely available since at least 2015 here in EU, before then m+s tires were called all seasons as the us but they were still considered summers under the road laws(you still had to bring chains in winter).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Game changer for me.

As many know we're speccing out a PV array, and adding a battery is coming in at like $30k. Now it's looking like we wait 2 years, buy a Bolt EV+V2H charger at maybe $15k more, and we'll have our home battery with a car thrown in for free.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this announcement means we're making a huge change to our spending plan for the next 2 years, and all but guarantees our next car will be another Bolt.

E: Calling it now: Tesla is going to support V2H in the Model 3 refresh.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 9, 2023

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Thanks!

cruft posted:

Game changer for me.

As many know we're speccing out a PV array, and adding a battery is coming in at like $30k. Now it's looking like we wait 2 years, buy a Bolt EV+V2H charger at maybe $15k more, and we'll have our home battery with a car thrown in for free.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this announcement means we're making a huge change to our spending plan for the next 2 years, and all but guarantees our next car will be another Bolt.

Yeah, I hope the dam breaks on this and more manufacturers start going with real V2H or V2G cars. I'd really like to be able to run my home heat-pump via backup power, and as cruft mentioned the cost in home batteries to run such a big load is very large. If I could do it with a car that'd be great.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone with an ID4 and the free charging with two drivers - do you have to use the same EA login on both phones or can the free charging be applied to two EA accounts?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

cruft posted:

Ehh, I’m not sure. Elmo has been kinda dismissive of V2H, saying if you drive somewhere, then your home is unpowered. He’d much rather have you buy a power wall or three.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone with an ID4 and the free charging with two drivers - do you have to use the same EA login on both phones or can the free charging be applied to two EA accounts?

I'm the only driver but I believe the free charging can only be applied to a single EA account. As part of finalizing the paperwork and handing you the keys, the dealer gives you a promo code that gives the account the free charging. I don't know if the EA app prevents a single account from being shared on multiple phones but that's probably the only way to do it.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Ioniq 5 and EV6 support v2l.

Notably only 15 amps at 120v though. It’s enough to run some appliances or maybe a hot plate but certainly not your whole house.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Welp I got the free bolt charger guy scheduled, the more I looked the more of a clusterfuck my home wiring is, so that should be a fun quote.

Any suggestions on a 8 amp L1 charger to keep at home in the mean time so I can keep the OEM one in my trunk? Hopefully cheap? Not sure how long this upgrade is gonna take and I don't wanna have to do the charger shuffle every day.

edit: looks like just getting another oem charger is the way to go, otherwise there's a volkswagen one that works and is a bit cheaper (part 85163382 for chevy and 11A054410 for vw)

Shredder fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 9, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news everyone!

The Escalade EV is here to save the planet.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/08/cadillac-reveals-the-2025-escalade-iq-one-excessive-ev/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aw yeah love that piano black trim right where the rocks go

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hm, do they have an XL version

also why is the hood so long? the frunk must hold so much shrimp

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

WTF. It STARTS at 130k!!! Who is in the market for this?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tiny Timbs posted:

Aw yeah love that piano black trim right where the rocks go

LOL at the idea that someone who buys this will ever take it off road.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just a rough calculation, to only do 0-60 in 5s with 750hp, you’d have to weigh at the very least 8000lbs. Probably more.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

lostleaf posted:

White upper-middle-class suburbanites who have used the existing Escalade as a status symbol for like a decade or more.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
The massive hood is to keep your precious eyes from seeing the kids you're going to absolutely pancake in that beast.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The massive hood is to keep your precious eyes from seeing the kids you're going to absolutely pancake in that beast.

I'm more concerned about the crabwalk/rear wheel turning thing absolutely turning bicyclists and pedestrians into paste because they don't expect it to turn in such an unusual fashion.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lostleaf posted:

That's not that far out of line, the Escalade V starts at $150k, the Hummer starts at $110k, and the Grand Wagoneer starts at $92k with a plain old gas 6 cylinder engine.

It's within the range of a pretty high volume market now.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I had a professor in grad school who studied, among other things, how MPG was a misleading metric to consumers compared to gallons/mi. Basically mpg is inverted from what actually matters (energy consumption per mile driven) and the inverse curve shape makes any improvement in it deceptive.

Anyway he loved to point out that the short-lived hybrid Escalade (discontinued 2013) got 21 mpg vs the regular Escalade's 15. Sounds piddling, right? But replacing one regular escalade with a hybrid saved nearly as much gas as taking a Prius off the road entirely.

Part of his point was that if you ask a consumer if a prius improved its mpg from 48 to 54, was that as good an improvement as taking the Escalade from 15 to 21? Most people surveyed said yes, even people from technical backgrounds. But in fact the escalade's improvement is as good, in terms of net gallons saved, as taking the prius from 48 to 560 (!!) mpg.

If you instead use gal/100mi, the difference is more clear: the Escalade improves from 6.7 to 4.7, but the Prius only improves from 2.1 to 1.9.

Of course it doesn't change the fact that the Escalade is still using a ton of gas and sucks rear end, just illustrates a point about using the right figure of merit. And perhaps illustrates the huge importance of improving efficiency in (or electrification of) larger vehicles like trucks.

Anyway that's my dumb lil anecdote about escalades and efficiency and the importance of using appropriate figures of merit. gently caress escalades regardless.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 9, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Agreed. Logarithmic measures of consumption are bad.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

alnilam posted:

I had a professor in grad school who studied, among other things, how MPG was a misleading metric to consumers compared to gallons/mi. Basically mpg is inverted from what actually matters (energy consumption per mile driven) and the inverse curve shape makes any improvement in it deceptive.

Anyway he loved to point out that the short-lived hybrid Escalade (discontinued 2013) got 21 mpg vs the regular Escalade's 15. Sounds piddling, right? But replacing one regular escalade with a hybrid saved nearly as much gas as taking a Prius off the road entirely.

Part of his point was that if you ask a consumer if a prius improved its mpg from 48 to 54, was that as good an improvement as taking the Escalade from 15 to 21? Most people surveyed said yes, even people from technical backgrounds. But in fact the escalade's improvement is as good, in terms of net gallons saved, as taking the prius from 48 to 560 (!!) mpg.

If you instead use gal/100mi, the difference is more clear: the Escalade improves from 6.7 to 4.7, but the Prius only improves from 2.1 to 1.9.

Anyway that's my dumb lil anecdote about escalades and efficiency and the importance of using appropriate figures of merit. gently caress escalades regardless.

I cannot believe that we stuck with MPG via MPGe for talking about efficiency with electric cars. It's such an awful system.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

alnilam posted:

Of course it doesn't change the fact that the Escalade is still using a ton of gas and sucks rear end, just illustrates a point about using the right figure of merit. And perhaps illustrates the huge importance of improving efficiency in (or electrification of) larger vehicles like trucks.

I didn’t realize mpg wasn’t linear. There’s a link I found that explains it in a bit more detail here: https://nudges.wordpress.com/why-we-misunderstand-what-miles-per-gallon-ratings-are-telling-us/

This seems like it would create a marketing disincentive to make highly efficient vehicles even more efficient.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

alnilam posted:

I can see what they are saying, though MPG does have its value in letting you estimate your remaining range based on the % of the gas tank that's left.

Though these days the car does that for you so... much less useful.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

FWIW fueleconomy.gov and the EPA stickers now put the better metric of gal/100mi in tiny font underneath the mpg rating. For EVs they similarly put kWh/100mi in tiny font underneath the MPGe rating. So it seems like the folks at the EPA listened to the academics somewhat, but could not fight the inertia of people being used to MPG numbers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm going to guess that 0.1% of drivers can accurately tell how many gallons of fuel they have left from the gauge.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm curious about how PHEVs work re fuel economy - I can see for me the majority of my trips would be on battery only (less than 64km/day) except for the times when I feel like putting the beans in

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Just a rough calculation, to only do 0-60 in 5s with 750hp, you’d have to weigh at the very least 8000lbs. Probably more.
Good math.
"Though its curb weight hasn’t been released, company officials hinted it will be close to the Hummer’s, which starts at about 9,000 pounds."
from here: https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2023/08/first-look-2025-cadillac-escalade-iq/

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The wagoneer guy will trade it in and buy that and lose like 50k on the deal (sorry wagoneer guy)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nitrousoxide posted:

LOL at the idea that someone who buys this will ever take it off road.

I assume he meant the flying chips on the highway.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Infinotize posted:

The wagoneer guy will trade it in and buy that and lose like 50k on the deal (sorry wagoneer guy)

If I recall it was actually a Wagoneer Wife and a Guy With Functionally Unlimited Car Budget.

I really guess this is BMW/Merc/Audis shortcoming for not making a truly full size SUV.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Someone's going to come in here and :actually: explain to us why they need an SUV that size and that we're all idiots.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want a decent size car for kids and dogs but escalades/wagoneers/yukons are loving ridiculous. Can’t imagine what a pain in the rear end it must be to park one of those fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Twerk from Home posted:

If I recall it was actually a Wagoneer Wife and a Guy With Functionally Unlimited Car Budget.

I really guess this is BMW/Merc/Audis shortcoming for not making a truly full size SUV.

the rich Mormon/Quiverfull family with 4-6 kids is a more common demo than a lot of us might think