Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

A&W, Barqs I think, Doctor Pepper which I think is the same, Shasta and then some other brands that seems to come and go. I hate root beer so am not an authority.
There's an american shop in Auckland now that you can order stuff like that from too called Martha's Backyard

yeah i went to martha's a few times before, can't remember if they had it. given how basic your tastes get when you leave your country, they probably had some. everybody seems to end up missing the same junk food.

and just FYI calling dr pepper a root beer is liable to get you stabbed (this is like ram raiding but into your intestines). it's closer to cherry coke or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

yeah i went to martha's a few times before, can't remember if they had it. given how basic your tastes get when you leave your country, they probably had some. everybody seems to end up missing the same junk food.

and just FYI calling dr pepper a root beer is liable to get you stabbed (this is like ram raiding but into your intestines). it's closer to cherry coke or something.

Yeah I wasn't sure about dr pepper but it tastes terrible to me and my wife was drinking it so I grouped it with the rest. Martha's doesn't seem as good since covid but almost nothing is as good as it was anymore.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Dr Pepper's more liquorice, maybe a bit of aniseed.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
extremely sinister vibe on this blackrock announcement lmao

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
You just reminded me of those blue sugar-coated lollies that taste almost exactly like cough medicine yet I was strangely addicted to.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

exmarx posted:

Every time I hear Blackrock I think they're talking about the American mercenary group that used to be called Blackwater.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

victorious posted:

Every time I hear Blackrock I think they're talking about the American mercenary group that used to be called Blackwater.

Nah they're more evil

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Local dairy had vanilla float Dr Pepper. Checked the back, something like 86% RDI of sugar in a single can, and it's all that corn syrup poo poo :stonklol:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

victorious posted:

I think Black Mesa

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
There is a beer home brew ingredients company called black rock

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lobsterpillar posted:

I think Black Mesa

that was a joke, haha, fat chance

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the new zealand initiative guy keeps praising italy's fascist leadership
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/opinion/italy-has-left-chinas-belt-and-road-initiative-luxon-should-consider-why

quote:

Italy joined in 2019 when it was governed by a populist government led by the Five Star Movement and the Lega party.

At the time, the decision was seen as a significant victory for China and a challenge to Italy’s EU partners and the United States. And no wonder. Italy is not just a member of the EU and Nato but also a member of an elite club of the leading Western economies, the G7.

Luring such a country into its club would put China one step further towards becoming the world’s new superpower.

However, the promised economic benefits of the Belt and Road Initiative never materialised – a theme we have seen repeated across the globe. Meanwhile, China’s geopolitical behaviour has become more assertive (to put it mildly). Both developments have led to a reassessment of Italy’s relationship with China.

Under its relatively new prime minister, Giorgia Meloni, Italy has sought to strengthen its ties with Western democratic countries while distancing itself from China. Thus, Meloni’s government has now signalled its intention to withdraw from the initiative by the end of the year, citing unfulfilled promises and strategic considerations.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

exmarx posted:

Great, looking forward to them owning all the property.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Faceless evil corporation vs in your face evil boomers

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Faceless evil corporation vs in your face evil boomers

Who would win? Faceless evil corporation or a bunch of NIMBY boomers,?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
A new polling company has entered the building!

https://twitter.com/120Aotearoa/status/1689005956737404930?s=20

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/09/guardian-essential-poll-new-zealand-national-holds-clear-lead-over-labour-as-election-nears

lol at nz first being just over 5%

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
It's really cool how many people I know are voting national, not because of any of their policies but because they're sick of labour doing absolutely nothing except shooting themselves in the foot at every opportunity.

These same people love the greens free dental idea but won't vote for them because "they're crazy hippies"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I have the opposite where the people I know are fairly loudly abandoning Labour for Greens for the first time in their life because Labour won't shut up about how little they intend to do next term.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
My grandad who's voted Labour all his life pretty much is thinking of voting for act "because David Seymour seems to be the only adult in the room at this point" lol his words not mine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Confusedslight posted:

My grandad who's voted Labour all his life pretty much is thinking of voting for act "because David Seymour seems to be the only adult in the room at this point" lol his words not mine.

I'm sorry to say he has dementia

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm just glad Labor took the safe route of not passing legal weed otherwise they might be in a pickle rn!

What do you mean check your notes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slavvy posted:

I'm sorry to say he has dementia
the grandad in question probably has it too

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

quote:

ACT health spokesperson and deputy leader Brooke van Velden said these changes along with better workforce planning would mean a "flourishing health system, not one on life support".

The policy would include:

Establish an Occupations Tribunal to assess equivalent overseas qualifications and work histories

Enable the health minister to override decisions or processes of regulatory authorities like the Nursing Council if the minister believes that goes beyond what is necessary to protect public health and safety

Expand physician assistants' licences to allow them to provide more services, supporting GPs

Embed "intelligent forecasting" using population growth and ageing, and technological changes into health workforce modelling

Less regulation and qualifications will definitely solve health issues

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sorry Mr Seymour, but the computer says you're due to need these boner pills so I am required to prescribe them. They are not funded.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ah yes, political interference in regulatory bodies always leads to more efficiency and no negative outcomes.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
holding to my libertarian principles by pushing for greater executive power :cheers:

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

edit: oh wait this is the politics thread sorry

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

feijoas suck rear end

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Hey gently caress you buddy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

feijoas suck rear end

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disgusting low level fruit, tastes like grass

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

feijoas suck rear end

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy

Lots more people eat rear end than feijoas.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
last time I tried some they were kind of mealy

the feijoas I mean

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

edit: oh wait this is the politics thread sorry

gently caress, is it?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
It's not even fiejoa season. I love fiejoas so more for me I guess

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

That feijoa smoothie in the fancy juice section of supermarkets is amazing, it's the idealised form of a feijoa in both sweetness and sourness.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Fiejoa cider rules

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I grew up with a feijoa tree hanging over from the neighbours fence, and yeah they're a very mid fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

feijoas suck rear end