Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

From a few pages ago this build has been rock solid for me. Was struggling to get to wt4 at rank 65 but after changing to this it was easy. Still going strong at level 75. Anyone make any changes to this build?

I've seen zero Barbers or Vile Apothecary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I got my vile around 80 I think but in a nm dungeon. It's very worth it. That and the DR one go really well together.

Does anyone know how the damage reduction and then explode it out works exactly? I've been working on the assumption that it fills up in some way so you need to empty it on the regular but I've no idea if that is true.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

harrygomm posted:

berserk ripping has always been weird so idk for sure. what it seems like is double swing into BR proc and rupturing it causes all that damage at once. the longer the barber the more times you can do this and maybe it’s also double dipping and taking the previous bleed, now barber multiplied, into account with the second + rupture and then multiplying that?

idk my 100 barb is non seasonal so i don’t have a way to test any of it

ok i'm level 72 and i just replaced my 1h burning rage (AoE fire damage while berserk) with a 1h Berserk Ripping and holy moley it's insane. i'm just blending through level 83 elites like butter. i might spec out of thorns and go all in on this

edit: unless it's something else from the patch but i don't think so.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I have not yet beaten the game, is that why I can’t get the season pass or is there something I’m missing

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ClydeFrog posted:

I got my vile around 80 I think but in a nm dungeon. It's very worth it. That and the DR one go really well together.

Does anyone know how the damage reduction and then explode it out works exactly? I've been working on the assumption that it fills up in some way so you need to empty it on the regular but I've no idea if that is true.

If you're running a standard Rogue TB or Flurry build, you probably don't have the skill on your bars to unload it - but it doesn't matter, the flat damage reduction makes it extremely valuable, especially at higher level content.

18-22% non-additive DR would beat out max roll disobedience on an amulet on a rogue I assume, seeing as they have less armour to go around in general. Same would go for sorc.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I swapped from pure flurry to rapid fire flurry (which is still 90% flurry) and it feels… ok? Maybe a little weaker overall against pack since you’re giving up poison and ice imbuemenets to slot in rapid fire which does help deal with bosses. Also missing a couple of aspects but I figure I’ll give it a go for a week or so once I have it proper kitted and get used to the new rotation.

That said: lol manually having to reset the paragon board one node at a time

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
Did a nm93 then just barely failed a nm100 last night. Stupid ghost enemies. Bone Spear necro owns. What doesn’t own is spending all your sigil dust to try and craft a decent nm100 because it rolls them 91-100 range.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I have not yet beaten the game, is that why I can’t get the season pass or is there something I’m missing

season only unlocks after beating the campaign I believe

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

ClydeFrog posted:

It would be really nice to have some kind of API where people can easily share their build detect from the game and ask for help, but in lieu of that throwing one up and asking if it's ok at least allows for some easier discussion.

D3 had the armory, I'm sure it will get added eventually

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

This is some bare bones poo poo lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

crepeface posted:

what's barber adding there? (except to make the number bigger). i thought it went off if the afflicted mob would die based on the pre-multiplied damage?

ATM im playing a mashed together thorns + frenzy build with my Ramaladni's + Battle Trance and it's pretty good/fun.

Barber lets you pile on the berserk ripping bleeds and they all go off at once with a bonus.

I use it on my ww build and bosses just melt even without rupture.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Mfers can’t even just silently use a cookie cutter build anymore. They gotta ask if it ok lol.

I think asking about build guides is fine. It’s hard to tell if a build is actually good or if the build resource is actually useful. I think icy veins is kind of poopy.

I want all my goons to game and be happy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Valicious posted:

No, but I need something to work towards while I try to get one. Any advice for in the mean time. The leveling build from Icy Veins was a companion druid and just BAAAD

Pulverize

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Helltides kinda rule now. 10 minutes into one I had almost 500 cinders.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I swapped from pure flurry to rapid fire flurry (which is still 90% flurry) and it feels… ok? Maybe a little weaker overall against pack since you’re giving up poison and ice imbuemenets to slot in rapid fire which does help deal with bosses. Also missing a couple of aspects but I figure I’ll give it a go for a week or so once I have it proper kitted and get used to the new rotation.

That said: lol manually having to reset the paragon board one node at a time

I've been running this but I changed it slightly to put 1 point in poison imbue and ice imbue (these are not on my bar) and then I'm using the apply all imbuement heart and the apply poison imbuement on puncture aspect. I'm also using Penitent Greaves for more chill.

I've been really enjoying it. The rapid fire really helps with single targets or annoying fire aura mobs.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well I broke down and socketed my one barber on my thorns barb

absolutely not disappointed, it rules. and combined with berserk ripper I can actually do bosses in a reasonable amount of time now

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah they’re wild. The monster density change was much needed.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I did manage to get into a helltide late last night and can confirm it was more fun :toot:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I think asking about build guides is fine. It’s hard to tell if a build is actually good or if the build resource is actually useful. I think icy veins is kind of poopy.

No you don't understand, using a guide, consulting a wiki, or upgrading your weapons in Elden Ring are all scrub behavior and makes you Not A Real Gamer. I'm sorry that's just the way it is in 2023.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

EC posted:

No you don't understand, using a guide, consulting a wiki, or upgrading your weapons in Elden Ring are all scrub behavior and makes you Not A Real Gamer. I'm sorry that's just the way it is in 2023.

I don’t actually use my points or any equip I just defeat Lilith with pure skill, you’ll find this is how true gamers roll.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Is maxroll.gg generally good for guides? I hit level 50 last night,

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Ornery and Hornery posted:

:hmmyes:

The guide quality varies a lot by author, so no harm in asking or using them as a base/guide.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Valicious posted:

Is maxroll.gg generally good for guides? I hit level 50 last night,

Yes, but they are oriented towards people pushing the very bleeding edge endgame, so if you aren't doing that then you don't have to follow them religiously.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Problem is only NM Dungeons are worth doing XP-wise, and itemization is so bad that it's waste to try to grind for anything besides XP (assuming you have your aspects and at least 2 good rolls on each piece of your gear). I probably got 2-3 significant upgrades between level 70 and 90.

Hell Tides might have slightly better drops than NM Dungeons but itemization in the game is so bad that it's not worth it. The main meaningful way to gain power in this game is to level up, and the ideal way to do that is to do a NM dungeon 10 levels above you. They really went out of their way to disincentivize people from doing any activity besides that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What do people mean when they say the itemization is bad? That there are too many stats?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

bamhand posted:

Hell Tides might have slightly better drops than NM Dungeons but itemization in the game is so bad that it's not worth it. The main meaningful way to gain power in this game is to level up, and the ideal way to do that is to do a NM dungeon 10 levels above you. They really went out of their way to disincentivize people from doing any activity besides that.

Don’t you need crackhead flowers from the helltides to re-roll?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

zoux posted:

Yes, but they are oriented towards people pushing the very bleeding edge endgame, so if you aren't doing that then you don't have to follow them religiously.

The better guides on maxroll will typically have a section called gearing progression or something like that, with tabbed subsections walking you through different levels of gearing. The ice shards build page is a good example imo

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

What do people mean when they say the itemization is bad? That there are too many stats?

I think it's mostly that there are a couple breakpoints for items, mostly going from regular to Sacred to Ancestral, and that once you have a set of those to replace your old stuff there are very few upgrades and lots of time sorting through rares looking for very specific affixes you might want for the last 30 or so levels. My necro is like level 75 or so and I think i've found 1 piece of armor in the last 5 levels that was a minor upgrade over what I already had.

You hit the point of diminishing returns way too early given there is so much leveling to go that it gets kind of boring. It's also why getting stuck in T3 sucks because you basically stop getting anything useful for ages and then as soon as you hit Wt4 all your shits going away for Ancestrals anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

heated game moment posted:

I think it's mostly that there are a couple breakpoints for items, mostly going from regular to Sacred to Ancestral, and that once you have a set of those to replace your old stuff there are very few upgrades and lots of time sorting through rares looking for very specific affixes you might want for the last 30 or so levels. My necro is like level 75 or so and I think i've found 1 piece of armor in the last 5 levels that was a minor upgrade over what I already had.

OK that makes sense

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

zoux posted:

I'm not an ARPG master but yeah, that's part of it for me. There are so many dogshit affixes to wade through and 95% of items you get at a certain point are obviously vendor trash. Feels bad to look through multiple full inventories of ancestral gear and see nothing worthwhile throughout a night of playing.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Upgrades are extremely rare after the first batch of ancestral upgrades at level 55 or w.e. I have replaced a few pieces but when you're at 2 good rolls plus an enchant on every item it's going to take forever, haven't changed anything in five levels now (my gear is also nowhere near ideal for what I am trying to build so it isn't like the guy is "done"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It definitely feels awkward to get a frenzy of upgrades in the first couple of hours in WT3 / 4 and then next to nothing going forward.

On the other hand it'd stink to be on an item level treadmill with the way aspects / stat rolls work.

I think it'd be a better overall experience with an ilevel treadmill and the division 2 aspect / stat roll storage system

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
All will be resolved when WT5 unlocks in January 2024.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

heated game moment posted:

You hit the point of diminishing returns way too early given there is so much leveling to go that it gets kind of boring. It's also why getting stuck in T3 sucks because you basically stop getting anything useful for ages and then as soon as you hit Wt4 all your shits going away for Ancestrals anyway.

Well, also that there are a hundred useless affixes to gloss over while looking for the two or three that are always good and the few that are situationally good

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I think I'd be fine with the itemisation if we had a filter that marked stuff as junk (or ideally just have items that don't pass the filter explode into the players choice of gold or mats but that's a pipe dream I imagine). It's exhausting combing through items when you know that 99.9% of them are not worth looking at. It seems like a small annoyance but ARPGs have a lot of repetition and small annoyances get magnified by that.

I don't mind upgrades being infrequent in the late game if I can just tell the game what might be an upgrade for me and it only shows me those items.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Realizing how few upgrades I am reasonably gonna get sucks but I'm compelled to pick up loot for the transmogs I still don't have. Primal legs where are you? Runic chest please come to me. Also I'm 75 and can happily run nm50s if I wanted to, though I stick to lower stuff for speed, and my legs, amulet, gloves, and one ring are still sacred. Hard AF to beat 3-4 high sacred rolls on great mods or a build enabling unique that hasn't dropped in wt4 when there's almost no way to target or craft gear beyond the enchanter. I would like to get my last mogs so I can just clear my stash of mail drops every second or third dungeon and level my glyphs faster.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Also I want a loot filter for nmd sigil drops. Tired of comparing my inventory to a note card I made so I don't have to bookmark another loving maxroll page

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I spend more time reading the loot affixes and doing inventory management than I do in the NMD

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

pork never goes bad posted:

Also I'm 75 and can happily run nm50s if I wanted to,

pork never goes bad posted:

Also I want a loot filter for nmd sigil drops. Tired of comparing my inventory to a note card I made so I don't have to bookmark another loving maxroll page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well, also that there are a hundred useless affixes to gloss over while looking for the two or three that are always good and the few that are situationally good

I'm still pissed they added all the barrier stuff to every item. I'm a rogue, I don't think I can even have a barrier!