Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I just did that arena as in quest to get my fierce deity armor upgraded, and I think I've been underrating how much better any high level fights are when you have good armor on. I used that armor (attack upgrade) and an attack potion and it went pretty quickly. I agree that they are enemies that you have to punch a million times, but it seems like they don't do nearly as devastating attacks as when my clothing was weak. Same with facing boss enemies up top- when they're taking 5-6 hearts each hit then it becomes tedious, but with better armor it really cuts that number down quickly.

I was also coming off of a surface tour of lynel killing, so I was pretty tuned in on their attacks.

After all of it I only got 2 lynel guts, and that means I have one more to go before I can do my final armor upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Merkinman posted:

Can someone tell me what is in the treasure chest in the Lynel arena?. I'm never going to get it because I just find those to be unfun sponges where they can hit you twice and you die, but you have to hit them 8 billion times.
I haven't even bothered with Gleeoks, since I know that'll just be another exercise in frustration.

Well if you want help against Lynne's you can glue 2 treasure chests together and save it as a favorite build. Create it when you are about to step into the coliseum and use ultra hand to move it with you. When the first Lynel appears move the double chest as close as you can to them and the Lynel will start screaming at it in a loop. While he's baffled you can climb on his back and start hitting the living poo poo out of him until he dies.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lynnes are female Lynels.

Would baby ones be Lynettes?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Floating Coliseum was the last major thing I had left to do, and went back there yesterday. Still pretty much a slog, but significantly easier than I was expecting, because I'm playing deep endgame.

Gleeoks are also easier than I was expecting.

I stumbled across a build in a youtube video that's just three stone slabs put together into a corner, so you've got two walls and a roof in a corner. For nine Zonite, you can put this on the battlefield in front of a Gleeok (though not too close), and it will block all its beams as you hide behind it, then ascend through the roof when you're ready, jump off for bullet time, and start popping off those bow-shots, and run behind it again for safety.

What I normally do, though, is farm Keese Eyballs by heading into caves in the morning with a multi-shot bow and bomb arrows drawn, and blowing myself up along with the swarm.

Using those with decent multi-shot bows knocks down Gleeoks very quickly, with only vague aiming required.

I wear the appropriate Shockproof/Freezeproof/Flameproof armor, in that order of priority. I consider dropping weapons to be the worst potential outcome.

Need to stop by Lookout Landing to pick up my medal.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tunicate posted:

Use technology to make the fight easier. Mount a stake to a construct head and a couple big batteries, stick it high on the wall with over a dozen lazerbeams. The lynels can't hit it up there and the batteries will help keep it active even when you are further away from it. Makes it a lot easier to take them down.

I want to chime in that more lasers are not as effective as fewer *rotating* lasers.

Each laser deals damage each half second or each time it reestablishes contact with a target. Placing lasers on a wheel-on-a-wheel then aiming that spinning death wheel with a construct head will do far more damage much more rapidly and with less power draw.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

I want to chime in that more lasers are not as effective as fewer *rotating* lasers.

Each laser deals damage each half second or each time it reestablishes contact with a target. Placing lasers on a wheel-on-a-wheel then aiming that spinning death wheel with a construct head will do far more damage much more rapidly and with less power draw.

nah there's a cooldown on a per-source basis, spinning lasers won't deal extra damage to a single target (though they do spread out damage to multiple enemies effectively). Similarly you can't put a spinning fanblade to block the beam for a fraction of a second, or use a fire hydrant to spray water in front of it, etc

The only way to boost laser effectiveness is to flicker the beam on and off, which makes it count as a new 'source'. There's some elaborate methods to do that involving carefully angled connections between 3 construct heads but that's for the hardcore 'hyrule engineering' guys.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Did they patch this out? It did definitely work :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Runcible Cat posted:

Lynnes are female Lynels.

Would baby ones be Lynettes?

Singers are Lynel Richie

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw them in spirit tracks. Lionels.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think most of the complaints about this game are relatively minor in the scheme of things but the Depths really could use like…one more activity. They’re still cool but they’re just missing something. Just a dumb thought but with all the yiga vehicles down there maybe some racing stuff would be something to do after you wrap that quest line up. Idk

Also just a thought but I really would have liked it if there were more steward robots.

Also while im thinking about it why didn’t they just call Gloom Malice? What was the point of that name change when it’s functionally the same dang thing. For a game that is a direct sequel TOTK has a really weird habit of only calling back to BOTW in certain ways. Like all the sheikah stuff disappearing and never being mentioned? Very strange

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

HootTheOwl posted:

I saw them in spirit tracks. Lionels.

A Lynel with the back legs of a man is a Lion-O

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've been watching the game grumps playthrough and it's hilarious how much stuff they intuitively get first try that would normally be difficult, and how much completely obvious stuff they have trouble figuring out.

They made it to death mountain and needed fire armor, sold a bunch of poo poo for it, then went in a fire cave where their wooden shield started smoking and ran right out saying they must not supposed to be there yet and have to find the other fire armor.

Then they were like how do I get a fuckin map!? The whole 12 hours of playthrough so far they've been running past the giant towers with spotlights and never once remarking or showing any curiosity of them, never so much as a "what's that".

They eventually figured it all out. But funnily some of the notorious puzzles they solve first try without even thinking about it

Yeah I've been enjoying watching him play, the amount of times he has died from falling too far or blowing himself up has been hilarious already. But man I can see why Arin doesn't read the YouTube comments cause like... guys just watch someone else or watch a speedrun if what Arin is doing bothers you so much. He recently did the tower where you have to ascend into it, and he couldn't figure it out because the game misdirects you with the mushroom dialogue. Also comments endlessly complaining he hasn't discovered the depths yet, but this past episode he learned about it looking up how to use the maps he's been getting and now people are upset he didn't discover the depths naturally.

Anyway anytime he kills himself or blows himself up it's hilarious. He's slowly figuring the game out more and more and very slowly getting better at it. In like episode 5 he builds a car that flies for the brief period this battery lasted and he managed to get the idiot out of the hole way faster than I did

Also they kept thinking Tulin's name was Tustin and now that's just what they call him

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 8, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Am I the only one who finds the boss Queen Gibdos a huge pain to fight? It really feels like just a big “gently caress you if you didn’t buy the sand movement boots”, everything is just a little too fast to dodge, especially in phase 2. And I really don’t feel like going to grind out a thousand rupees as a prerequisite to this fight.

I also really wish the range on Riju’s lightning was centered on Link. It feels like I don’t fully control whether the boss is in range or not, and it already likes to hover away at the very edge of a viable shot.

Is there some kind of a trick to this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does anyone know that the point of the otak shrine is? It says it is proving grounds: traps, but the only thing it is proving to be is that the constructs don't walk anywhere near traps. And by the time I can get one near a trap and activate said trap, the construct has just gone past it. It seems like they put in harder enemies to make you use the traps, but I can't even use them because they are all placed in a corner where no one goes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trying to do that shrine as intended is, itself, the trap.

I got 3 by dropping the rocks on them I believe, but the problem is that you need to do that like 4 more times and it's very lucky if you can pull it off once. Probably possible if you have lots of stealth combat experience but it's a game that pushes you toward being a screaming barbarian at every other step.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Akratic Method posted:

Am I the only one who finds the boss Queen Gibdos a huge pain to fight? It really feels like just a big “gently caress you if you didn’t buy the sand movement boots”, everything is just a little too fast to dodge, especially in phase 2. And I really don’t feel like going to grind out a thousand rupees as a prerequisite to this fight.

I also really wish the range on Riju’s lightning was centered on Link. It feels like I don’t fully control whether the boss is in range or not, and it already likes to hover away at the very edge of a viable shot.

Ignore Riju and hit queenie with your own source of lightning like an electro chu jelly.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Akratic Method posted:

Any source of fire, lightning, or explosive damage works to remove her (and her minions') armor. Fire fruit, shock fruit, bomb flowers, ruby wand, topaz wand, fire/electric keese eye, fire emitter shield, dinraal/farosh weapon, etc. are things you might have lying around that'll make it a lot easier. When she's doing the wind attack, just hit the fuckin sprint button and run like hell, don't try to be artful. I'm not sure exactly what items work on the minion spawners, but I know bomb flowers do, so you don't have to wait around for Riju's lightning. Beyond that, all the usual combat trickery is good. Bullet time is broken as always; if you have a way to get up high (bomb shields, rocket shields, platform arrows, etc) to get bullet time on the way down is good.

It's probably the hardest fight in the game, fwiw.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hint - a sapphire on a magic rod of any kind is amazing crowd control for the minions. wave it once, freeze like 10 of them, and then resume fighting the main boss since as long as they're not dead more probably won't spawn to replace them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I found that boss incredibly easy and killed it on my first or second try :shrug: Not saying that as some kind of dumb flex I just think it’s interesting how different people’s experiences are. It took me way more tries to kill the stupid water or air temple bosses.

Worth noting I did it last and had fully upgraded Hylian armor and good weapons by then

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Y'all don't have to use any damaging elementals on gibdos to get them to drop their super armor, you can also just use splash fruit, opals, etc. if you have them in abundance.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Chuchu Jelly, the plain variety, is considered water-elemental as well.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
You can just stand in the light and use a mirror shield too. It's pretty efficient

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, once the ceiling opens up I just hid in the column of the light and it was a breeze after that

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The auto build cart+flame emitter absolutely wrecks all the Gibdos so you can focus on the queen. Very simple to build if you don’t have that recipe also.

Prio bomb arrows on the towers to stop spawning if things are getting to hectic.

If you have Sidon you can spam water bubble to tank tornado hits.

Go nuts with elemental keese wings and eyes.

Echoing what everyone else said that Ruby Magic Rod makes the fight much easier.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the last thing a gibdo sees...

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

No Wave posted:

Ignore Riju and hit queenie with your own source of lightning like an electro chu jelly.

I struggled through it before I ended up reading this, but this is definitely the advice I could've used. I got super fed up with waiting for the lightning range to extend, and then having to start over because by the time it grows the queen moves. I'll keep it in mind for the re-fights! (because goddamnit I just realized I forgot to take a snapshot)

Didn't realize a light beam caused damage, either, so I totally whiffed on using the light shafts. No idea why watching the babies walk into it and melt didn't make me think "well maybe this hurts the queen????" :doh:

Thanks!

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 9, 2023

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alxprit posted:

Hint - a sapphire on a magic rod of any kind is amazing crowd control for the minions. wave it once, freeze like 10 of them, and then resume fighting the main boss since as long as they're not dead more probably won't spawn to replace them.

Why do I chronically read a great idea like this right after having sold almost all my *checks notes* sapphires to buy a zany swedish style box house?

I'm definitely doing this the next time I fight ganon though. Those waves eat up at weapon stocks.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
why did you need to check your notes. the word sapphire is in the quoted post

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

why did you need to check your notes. the word sapphire is in the quoted post

I ain't so good at postin' mister

Trying to find a turn of phrase to indicate the unlikelihood I just pissed away all my sapphireth and then find a good use for them as if that were actually a big deal. Which it's not. There's always more.

Have to say finally feeling in the groove with the control system and the game is tapering out on me. Gonna give my switch to my SO so they can try it. But I feel like I have to get all hats first. Cece I'm coming for you, and also that rabbit one perhaps.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i didn't really make any notes on my playthrough. i did think about using the map icons (the things that aren't glowing pins) but never really got around to it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i didn't really make any notes on my playthrough. i did think about using the map icons (the things that aren't glowing pins) but never really got around to it

I put one in to remind me of a great spot to harvest crabs for stamina and some to mark bits of quests I’d abandon. Do that thingy thing where you mark all topside shrine locations as stars on the underside map to guide myself to light roots. There’s a couple other use cases too. Here thar be night mares or something for a quest or here I need to find a way to ride a non horse animal for this old guy.

Buy shoes here, get a new hat, butter here, etc

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I never used the sword, but presumably you could use it for good respawning base weapons? I also never used the pot, but you could use it for rare ingredients like truffles? And I also never used the chest, but I guess that would work for respawning chests? Or maybe I should have marked caves with chests instead of stars...

Person = stables where I've already helped Penn and found the wells (and wells outside of stables), and also occasionally to mark quest people I needed to return to

Diamond inside diamond = I used this to mark unpaired shrines/lightroots

Heart = catchable fairies

Star = star islands in the sky, and rare critters on the ground (stealth trout and smotherwing butterflies, for example), so I knew which areas to revisit to find more later. I'd also switch pins to stars when marking caves after using cherry trees.

Skull = bosses and minibosses (in early game to avoid, in late game to hunt)

Leaf = travelling koroks that I am not doing right now

Ore = gold ore deposits, plus big walls of zonaite in the depths and clumps of luminous stones in the sky

I can't use them except for categorical uses like this because my brain is a sieve and I absolutely will not remember anything otherwise. I still occasionally do mark purges when I realise I've been using a mark too 'broadly' and no longer recognise what most of them are actually marking on the map.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I put one in to remind me of a great spot to harvest crabs for stamina and some to mark bits of quests I’d abandon. Do that thingy thing where you mark all topside shrine locations as stars on the underside map to guide myself to light roots. There’s a couple other use cases too. Here thar be night mares or something for a quest or here I need to find a way to ride a non horse animal for this old guy.

Buy shoes here, get a new hat, butter here, etc

I marked Gleeoks when I found them early game and couldn't fight them, and the sky islands that have fairies and useful cooking ingredients all get a cookpot on them so I know where to travel to when I need to replenish food. I started putting a skull and a sword on the platform for all of the underground temple boss re-fights so I knew not to re-trace my steps.

I think I made more markings on the map than in BOTW for sure.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
the pot was probably more useful for marking cook spots in botw when you couldn't just immediately summon one

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I used Ore for undiscovered Shrines I knew existed because I had the corresponding Lightroot, and Leaves for undiscovered Lightroots I knew existed because I had the corresponding Shrine. Skulls for boss refights and Rocktoroks.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I put exactly one skull down on the first set of gloom hands I found in a cave on the way to Impa that I couldn't beat

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh man, your very first encounter with Gloom hands is Nintendo at its finest. The sky turns red and the weird creepy sound effects kick in and you have no clue what’s going on and then HOLY gently caress SOMETHING GRABBED ME

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/dHqRmzG.mp4

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My first gloom hand encounter was on the east side of lanayru promenade on the way to mt. lanayru to get to the tower. I was looking out for the Lionel who used to be there and it scared the poo poo out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Other than getting to high ground, I still don't know how I'm supposed to deal with them. If I'm stuck on the same level as them I just leave the area and come back and try to find a way to get to a ledge before they notice me