Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kikas posted:

Man, those are unusually fast and spectacular photos compared to all of the recent "near-Moscow explosion" ones.

Helps that this happened in a populated place with lots of stationary cameras and hundreds of people with phones around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Worth noting that the town is an important place for the Russian Orthodox Church. It's home to its biggest monastery that is associated with the most venerated Russian Orthodox saint. Patriarch Cyril himself is the abbot there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Lavra_of_St._Sergius

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

fatherboxx posted:

Helps that this happened in a populated place with lots of stationary cameras and hundreds of people with phones around.

And in daylight hours.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They also seem to of been taken maybe like a 15-30 seconds after the original explosion as well. There was clearly at least a bit of time for people to bring out their phones/cameras. With a cloud that big in a city during day time would of been weird if there weren't a bunch of shots from a bunch of angels out there.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Ukrainian forces conducted a raid across the Dnipro River in the Kherson region on Tuesday, attempting to land near the Russian-occupied village of Kozachi Laheri, Russian state media and military bloggers have claimed.
https://www.cnn.com/webview/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-new-08-09-23

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This is not how you convince the Russian public that the war is not worth fighting.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This is not how you convince the Russian public that the war is not worth fighting.

How should one go about doing that then?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This has to be pretty low on the priority list, tbh. Above bombing groceries and blood transfusion centers, but definitely below bombing military optics factories.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

This is bad news for the daily Russian "should we continue the war in Ukraine?" referendum. One day public opinion will finally tilt to "no" and Putin will have no choice but to withdraw, but if Ukraine keeps doing things to defend their country it'll never happen!!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This is a lost cause and it is impossible until there are several mobilization waves in coming 4-5 years

If this was a drone strike (and not idiots at the pyro favtory), it was aimed at destroying a factory producing very valuable optics for Russian weapons.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Decorum and winning hearts and minds of the population of an oppressive fascist regime wins wars, not destroying their military and logistics

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Just more projection from a poster overlooking years of terror bombings of Ukrainian civilians.

To be clear an optics factory making hardware for the war is a legitimate military target.

wet_goods fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 9, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

yeah but it leads to bad optics

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If "the Russian public" had any say at all, the war would be over tomorrow.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

War in Ukraine CE: bombings may be harmful to optics

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
It's a warehouse owned by an optics factory but rented by a pyrotechnics factory.

There are some videos and images floating around of shells on the ground but it could be from other places at other times.

In any case renting a warehouse from another factory could imply expanded production and haphazardly expanding production at a fireworks factory to make artillery shells is probably a good way to get things to blow up. Speculation of course.

Also I don't think any Ukrainian drone could possible have caused that explosion by itself. It's a massive explosion. Something in that building blew up albeit a drone could have set it off.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Dick Ripple posted:

How should one go about doing that then?

Lol seconded, what's the master plan here

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the last time we won the hearts and minds of the enemy was in the war against Germany, by the means of overwhelming firepower. That tends to make people change their mind.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't think a warehouse full of fireworks is a legitimate military target regardless of who the landlord is. It does not reduce Russia's war capabilities in any way and all the people injured were civilians.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It is how you limit the availability of optics for your already logistically challenged enemy. Nobody was trying to win any hearts and minds with this operation, if it even was an operation.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't think a warehouse full of fireworks is a legitimate military target regardless of who the landlord is. It does not reduce Russia's war capabilities in any way and all the people injured were civilians.

I'm pretty sure the fireworks comment was a joke

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Provided they were not making ammunition. In any case Russian authorities are saying it was due to improperly stored pyrotechnics, Ukraine has not claimed responsibility and I have seen no videos or claims of Ukrainian sky-mopeds drones which there should be given that it was daylight and Ukrainian drones are loud and slow.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nitrox posted:

quote:

At least 31 people have been injured in an explosion north of Moscow at a warehouse containing pyrotechnics, the regional governor Andrei Vorobyov, said Wednesday.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nitrox posted:

The local officials said that the explosion happened at a fireworks warehouse, but they didn't even blame it on Ukraine yet. For all we know, Ukraine may not be involved at all, accidents happen. Or it can be an attack on an actual military target that Russia doesn't want to confirm for some reason.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
"Winning hearts and minds" is nonsense because Ukraine is not trying to conquer Russia and pacify the locals, and Russian people have no say in Putin's war. There is no free media and anyone who tries to oppose the government will go to either prison, exile or grave.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
Clearly Ukraine should be interested in winning a narrative victory inside the Russian infosphere where they have to contend with the state teaching children that killing Ukrainians is a justifiable action.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I would like to note that civilians taking photographs of the aftermath have spotted several empty artillery shells (as in, not yet filled with the bursting charge) that were thrown long distances by the explosion.

They were not just making fireworks there.

And also there is little reason to expect an Ukrainian hit yet, no-one heard or spotted incoming and small scale shell manufacturing is exactly the kind of poo poo where I'd expect industrial accidents that level buildings.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

try bolding the "the regional governor Andrei Vorobyov, said" part and then ponder why you should have bolded that part for a lot longer than you apparently did with this line of posting

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

evilweasel posted:

try bolding the "the regional governor Andrei Vorobyov, said" part and then ponder why you should have bolded that part for a lot longer than you apparently did with this line of posting

An ironic username / post combo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

"pyrotechnics" is a large word that contains multitudes

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

FuturePastNow posted:

I thought it specifically referred to fireworks?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FuturePastNow posted:

Ja, that was my take as well.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Oblast governors and Russia Today are to be taken completely uncritically, while Bellingcat and the New York Times only print what the CIA tells them to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tuna-Fish posted:

I would like to note that civilians taking photographs of the aftermath have spotted several empty artillery shells (as in, not yet filled with the bursting charge) that were thrown long distances by the explosion.

They were not just making fireworks there.

And also there is little reason to expect an Ukrainian hit yet, no-one heard or spotted incoming and small scale shell manufacturing is exactly the kind of poo poo where I'd expect industrial accidents that level buildings.

Post the pictures.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

jarlywarly posted:

I thought it specifically referred to fireworks?

It can, but when I think of "pyrotechnics" I think of stuff like the explosives used for building demolition, mining, and separating rocket stages. It's a very wide and deep field plus I don't know what other meanings the Russian word they translated into that might have

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Post the pictures.

https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status...ingawful.com%2F

I mean I know I’m engaging with a troll but first few seconds of this vid shows it

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Kaal posted:

If "the Russian public" had any say at all, the war would be over tomorrow.

Latest polling suggests support for the "SMO" remains high among Russians with 76% saying they support the war. More want to continue the war (48%) than commence peace talks (45%) but those peace talks would probably include Russia keeping everything it's occupying because 61% seem to think the SMO has been successful. The war has had consistently high support among the Russian public, 70% - 80%, since the start per Levada Center polling I believe. Average Russians seem pretty solidly in favour of the war even now, although as the headline suggests they're obviously starting to feel the pain of sanctions/mobilization.

https://globalaffairs.org/research/public-opinion-survey/russians-are-split-over-benefits-military-action-ukraine

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:golfclap:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lassitude posted:

Latest polling suggests support for the "SMO" remains high among Russians with 76% saying they support the war. More want to continue the war (48%) than commence peace talks (45%) but those peace talks would probably include Russia keeping everything it's occupying because 61% seem to think the SMO has been successful. The war has had consistently high support among the Russian public, 70% - 80%, since the start per Levada Center polling I believe. Average Russians seem pretty solidly in favour of the war even now, although as the headline suggests they're obviously starting to feel the pain of sanctions/mobilization.

https://globalaffairs.org/research/public-opinion-survey/russians-are-split-over-benefits-military-action-ukraine

Levada does good work, but I don't think their surveys mean much of anything anymore. People can't be polled if they have a realistic fear that their answer will land them in prison. Russian public opinion has basically been the same thing for decades: "Just leave us alone". For all of Putin's effort to create a patriotic culture, I don't think he's succeeded at all. Certainly there are hardly any left who would willingly march on Ukraine at this point - and that includes their army which is well-known to have massive morale issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Keep clutching those pearls buddy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)