Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cooked Auto posted:

I would like to believe they're doing this just so they can force the thread to continue and talk about upcoming movies in perpetuity.

They’re doing it because they’re an irritating transphobic piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

:emptyquote:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That also works. :hmmyes:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Looks like William Friedkin passed on...
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1688592504705196032?s=20

Looking at Wikipedia, man had so many unrealized projects that eventually ended up getting made into movies by other people: An adaptation of Blatty's "Legion", which Blatty himself made as Exorcist III; a Desperate Hours remake that eventually got made with Mickey Rourke and Anthony Hopkins; an adaptation of Shooter with Tommy Lee Jones, which did get made by Antonie Fuqua and Mark Wahlberg, and probably led to Friedkin's own The Hunted with Jones in 2003; and was the original director attached to I Am Wrath, which was to star Nick Cage, but both got replaced by Chuck Russell and John Travolta.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Everyone should watch Sorcerer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Everyone should watch Sorcerer.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

It was funny to hear him on Joe Dante’s podcast a few years ago absolutely making GBS threads on a bunch of beloved classics. Not from any reasonable angle you usually hear either, like he was making GBS threads on those big panoramic scenes in Lawrence of Arabia because he thought camels are boring iirc.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 8, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To be honest I had never heard of Sorcerer before and I guess that's because it was a major commercial failure but has been rediscovered more recently?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Infamously it came out a month after Star Wars.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I like this quote from Robert Mitchum, who was approached for the lead role after Friedkin couldn't get Steve McQueen as originally intended-

quote:

After the disagreement with McQueen, Friedkin approached Robert Mitchum who, despite appreciating the script, sternly declined, asking Friedkin "Why would I want to go to Ecuador for two or three months to fall out of a truck? I can do that outside my house.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Sorceror is such a loving good movie. I love how it opens with four vignettes of these people who could all be the protagonists of their own movie genres, but instead they're just thrown together into this insane mission.

My favorite Friedkin movie is To Live and Die in LA, though. A wonderful neo-noir with a great Wang Chung soundtrack, one of the greatest car chases of all time. They had a bunch of counterfeit money made for the movie and got visited by the Secret Service because some of it got out into the money supply, and as soon as the statue of limitations ran out Friedkin said, "Yeah, it was me, I was spending it all over town."

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Infamously it came out a month after Star Wars.

Also the critics were down on it because it was a remake of a very highly regarded French thriller (or another adaptation of the source novel if you want to split hairs)(in addition to Sorceror also watch Wages of Fear which is equally great)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 8, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

High Warlord Zog posted:

also watch Wages of Fear

Personally I think Wages should be paid in money not fear.

What a terrible employer. :colbert:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Drunkboxer posted:

It was funny to hear him on Joe Dante’s podcast a few years ago absolutely making GBS threads on a bunch of beloved classics. Not from any reasonable angle you usually hear either, like he was making GBS threads on those big panoramic scenes in Lawrence of Arabia because he thought camels are boring iirc.

I forget if it was that or Marc Maron's podcast where he was going on and on about why the protagonist using a bunch of racial slurs in French Connection was really vital and it was just showing the gritty truth. I know on the Dante podcast he was going on about Trump being pretty great and a smart guy and also denigrating Jackson Pollock with "anybody could do that."

dr_rat posted:

Personally I think Wages should be paid in money not fear.

What a terrible employer. :colbert:

Bad news for you about Friedkin's money...

Rochallor posted:

They had a bunch of counterfeit money made for the movie and got visited by the Secret Service because some of it got out into the money supply, and as soon as the statue of limitations ran out Friedkin said, "Yeah, it was me, I was spending it all over town."

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I forget if it was that or Marc Maron's podcast where he was going on and on about why the protagonist using a bunch of racial slurs in French Connection was really vital and it was just showing the gritty truth. I know on the Dante podcast he was going on about Trump being pretty great and a smart guy and also denigrating Jackson Pollock with "anybody could do that."

Bad news for you about Friedkin's money...

Yeah he definitely was defensive about Trump in the Dante ep. The thing I remember most about the Maron ep was him going on about how real and moving the shroud of Turin was even though he said he wasn’t Catholic and was born into a Jewish family.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

Also the critics were down on it because it was a remake of a very highly regarded French thriller (or another adaptation of the source novel if you want to split hairs)(in addition to Sorceror also watch Wages of Fear which is equally great)

I saw Sorceror before Wages Of Fear and really found Wages lacking. The character introductions really add to the story and I found Porvenir a far more desperate place than Las Piedras: there's only one woman in Porvenir, an elderly cleaning woman, in comparison to the main characters in Wages flirting with showering girls and even have girlfriends.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1688989252762103813?t=j091mO1cSn6komc2B70E5A&s=19
Yes I'm sure that will go well.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
drat I didn't realize Sonic the Hedgehog is a scab.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gotta go fash

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Something about ethical consumption under capitalism

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Could just be the mocap work, that's not a union gig.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They should just re-do that story where Garfield wakes up and he's house is abandoned in obviously no ones lived there for years, and than the narrator is like "You've never been so alone Garfield".

But you know with sonic.

No actors needed!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wouldn't be surprised if large amounts of Sonic 3 are entirely the CG critters. I suppose maybe it means the CG studios might not be crunched to pieces?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Unfortunately, that's probably not going to be the case. The stuff that requires actors and a completed script (which are usually simpler conversation scenes) are vital to the way current VFX are done.

For one thing, they're basically used as extra time/money that can be allotted to the harder stuff when it comes in. For example, say you have a shot of Sonic talking to James Marsden that you tell the studio will take a week, but you know that if you give it to the right artists, they'll be able to do it in half that time. So you're able to take the unused 2.5 days from that shot and allocate it to something that's going to take much longer. And shows like Sonic are massively underbid in order for the vendors to actually get the work, so stealing days from easy shots to give them to hard ones is a necessity.

Then once you actually get into shot work, those simple, low-hanging fruit shots can be sent along to the clients at a regular pace, so that they're seeing constant progress on the movie while the big sequences are being slowly developed in the background. So taking those easy shots away from the front of the schedule not only means that the clients are going to want to see the more complex shots earlier and more often (burning out the artists early), but the vendors are also going to run out of money/crew because they don't have the easy stuff to siphon from.

And that's not even getting into the actual creative stuff. Big full-CG sequences are usually also the ones that take the longest to edit, which means that the VFX artists won't be working with a locked edit, and might find that any given shot is suddenly cut from the movie (which means they just did a bunch of wasted work), or maybe new shots are added that the vendor can't afford to do because they spent all the money on stuff that was omitted.

And all this is going to be exacerbated by vendors starting to lay off artists due to the strike delaying incoming work. It's a really common practice for VFX vendors to borrow artists from one show in order to throw them onto a show that's in crunch, but if Sonic is the only show in the building, there will be nobody to borrow artists from.

Crunch is also just expected on most shows nowadays, regardless of how smoothly they go. I've been on projects where artists asked for a couple of hours of overtime in order to finish what they were doing and put it on the farm to render overnight, but were denied because overtime needed to be saved for crunch. Never mind that having an artist come in the next morning to do two hours of work and then sit idle for the entire rest of the day while they waited for the farm was what was going to cause the crunch in the first place...

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Robot Style posted:

Unfortunately, that's probably not going to be the case. The stuff that requires actors and a completed script (which are usually simpler conversation scenes) are vital to the way current VFX are done.

For one thing, they're basically used as extra time/money that can be allotted to the harder stuff when it comes in. For example, say you have a shot of Sonic talking to James Marsden that you tell the studio will take a week, but you know that if you give it to the right artists, they'll be able to do it in half that time. So you're able to take the unused 2.5 days from that shot and allocate it to something that's going to take much longer. And shows like Sonic are massively underbid in order for the vendors to actually get the work, so stealing days from easy shots to give them to hard ones is a necessity.

Then once you actually get into shot work, those simple, low-hanging fruit shots can be sent along to the clients at a regular pace, so that they're seeing constant progress on the movie while the big sequences are being slowly developed in the background. So taking those easy shots away from the front of the schedule not only means that the clients are going to want to see the more complex shots earlier and more often (burning out the artists early), but the vendors are also going to run out of money/crew because they don't have the easy stuff to siphon from.

And that's not even getting into the actual creative stuff. Big full-CG sequences are usually also the ones that take the longest to edit, which means that the VFX artists won't be working with a locked edit, and might find that any given shot is suddenly cut from the movie (which means they just did a bunch of wasted work), or maybe new shots are added that the vendor can't afford to do because they spent all the money on stuff that was omitted.

And all this is going to be exacerbated by vendors starting to lay off artists due to the strike delaying incoming work. It's a really common practice for VFX vendors to borrow artists from one show in order to throw them onto a show that's in crunch, but if Sonic is the only show in the building, there will be nobody to borrow artists from.

Crunch is also just expected on most shows nowadays, regardless of how smoothly they go. I've been on projects where artists asked for a couple of hours of overtime in order to finish what they were doing and put it on the farm to render overnight, but were denied because overtime needed to be saved for crunch. Never mind that having an artist come in the next morning to do two hours of work and then sit idle for the entire rest of the day while they waited for the farm was what was going to cause the crunch in the first place...

But hey, at least all that blood, sweat, and tears is worth it in the end, right? Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take a big sip of coffee and watch Avengers Endgame.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Here's another of my biannual "thank you Robot Style for the knowledgeable peek behind the curtain" posts.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The strike might kill the live-action How To Train Your Dragon remake

quote:

How To Train Your Dragon, the live-action retelling of 2010's animated film of the same name, has put a halt to production in the United Kingdom. According to Screen Daily, How To Train Your Dragon was due to start filming in Belfast’s Titanic Studios in August, originally set for a March 2025 release date.

How to Train Your Dragon will be produced by Marc Platt Productions. Dean DeBlois, who wrote and directed the original film, is set to return to both roles for the live-action adaptation. It was reported in May 2023 that Hiccup and Astrid would be portrayed by Mason Thames and Nico Parker, respectively.
https://www.cbr.com/how-to-train-your-dragon-live-action-delays-production-strike/
Also obligatory there was a the live-action How To Train Your Dragon remake???

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m guessing this is Dreamworks trying to copy what Disney has been doing, but the last of these films came out what, 5 years ago?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
What's (not) next, live-action Wreck-it Ralph?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

The strike might kill the live-action How To Train Your Dragon remake
OHHHH nooooooooooooooooooooooo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Gran Turismo movie is getting some bad press due to their reworking of an actual accident to better fit their narrative. In 2015 the guy the movie is based off of crashed during a race and ended up injuring several spectators with one dying. The film moves the accident to a previous race earlier in his career to make it seem like it was a setback he needed to overcome.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The Gran Turismo movie is getting some bad press due to their reworking of an actual accident to better fit their narrative. In 2015 the guy the movie is based off of crashed during a race and ended up injuring several spectators with one dying. The film moves the accident to a previous race earlier in his career to make it seem like it was a setback he needed to overcome.
Woof

I thought this movie was a stretch to begin with but that’s hosed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
I really liked Rush and it was based on some hosed up accidents too

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What is this https://twitter.com/LeCinephiles/status/1689396909163872256?t=rhFEEAR8WFmLUfqYJtrXzg&s=19

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Expensive Spider-Man fan film that has controversial poo poo bc the main actor was racist as a teenager and the director was also racist(?) or lovely. And they didn’t pay people or something.

Basically children making movies with high budgets and no real assistance

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Grendels Dad posted:

What's (not) next, live-action Wreck-it Ralph?

Finally, my chance to make it big!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

That's pretty gross.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, that's not, like, making it seem like Motley Crue's slump was shorter than it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

There's an R-rated talking dog comedy starring? Will Ferrell coming out soon. I keep seeing ads for it on YouTube, but since the commercials are sooo long and I can skip after 5 seconds I have no clue what it's actually called. It looks terrible, though.