Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

smelly goblin posted:

Could you explain more what the cards are telling us?

Sure

Question was what is going on with the character attack Grusch is facing and what will it cause.

Past: 9 of swords means anxiety, worry, fear, depression, nightmares. So basically the PTSD he suffered and the public release of this information.

Present: 9 of wands means last stand, persistence, grit, resilience, perseverance, close to success. It tells me that these cheap tactics aren't going to work with Grusch, that it will make him even more resolved.

Future: 8 of wands means movement, speed, progress, quick decisions, sudden changes. It tells me these attacks will only make the process he started move even faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

appreciation and aroha to the ufo thread going through its tarot era
currently writing a short story or two featuring personifications of certain tarot cards. these are the: six swords as a grand escape artist helper, ace of swords as a person who is sometimes a flying sword v. high up (mistaken for ufo i guess lol), possibly wheel of fortune (who sends protags. back and forth through time).
did a cursory search for art bell shows delving into tarot, can't find anything yet. only a george noory one (nope!!). will keep looking.

can't wait for da ufo i ching/book of changes era, lets throw some sticks!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

buddy they dont even let me throw the sticks

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

out of curiosity, was News Nation even a thing before they published the Grusch story? I'm not sure I had even heard of them before then

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's one of the like half dozen right-wing news channels that appeared seemingly out of nowhere when Trumpers turned on FN (too critical of Trump), innit? Genuinely guessing.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's one of the like half dozen right-wing news channels that appeared seemingly out of nowhere when Trumpers turned on FN (too critical of Trump), innit? Genuinely guessing.

it's nexstar media group's (chicago outfit, used to be called WGN before cable transition in 2021) CNN competitor. supposedly non-partisan but what really ever is these days :shrug:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Spergin Morlock posted:

out of curiosity, was News Nation even a thing before they published the Grusch story? I'm not sure I had even heard of them before then

IME the types of people that know that news nation exists fall into one of two categories: trump voters, and anti-trumpers whose entire political career amounts to pointing at things and letting everyone know they're racist (and voting straight ticket dem party, of course)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Marzzle posted:

it's nexstar media group's (chicago outfit, used to be called WGN before cable transition in 2021) CNN competitor. supposedly non-partisan but what really ever is these days :shrug:

yeah, they went right after CNN by scooping up Cuomo when he got canned (in spite of his being a lovely person, he had a lot of appeal to the older lib demographic)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

IME the types of people that know that news nation exists fall into one of two categories: trump voters, and anti-trumpers whose entire political career amounts to pointing at things and letting everyone know they're racist (and voting straight ticket dem party, of course)

i think you're describing newsmax but idk

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

i think you're describing newsmax but idk

I don't know enough about news nation to know the difference but would be excited to know there is one

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

there’s too many newses

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

Nexstar Media Group only came on the scene about three years ago, formerly Tribune Company, if that helps.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm 90% sure you guys are thinking of newsmax as the deranged chud patriotnews.usa

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

NewsNation is about as generic as it gets. The kind of news that plays in a dentist's waiting room.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
But Newsmax isn't the only one? There's also OAN... There's a whole new crop of barely seen chud media. That's entirely the point. NewsNation is likely of the same stripe (?) but the only way to know would be for me to watch it and I'm not going to do that so it will remain forever a mystery

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Galactic Federation needs to turn in a quest from the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/latestinspace/status/1688563643762233344?t=y4b30ru96Ix9uIoVODJZXg&s=19

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is a placeholder asset from the universe designers. That nebula is coming in the next expansion.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the unprecedented marine heatwave in the pacific is the burder mothership rising to the surface

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Looks like a guy waking up, going to work at the spear factory, and then he throws the spears up in the sky

Edit I was rly behind I'm sorry

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

News Nation is like a CNN clone, it's Newsmax that is super right wing, NN is like middle of the road centrist dreck is my understanding. They get a pass from me for now for covering the aitee stuff even if it is just naked opportunism to get their name out there.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/JaredEMoskowitz/status/1689255132121182208
https://twitter.com/timburchett/status/1689077441925419008

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Salt Lake City, August 2023: https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/15lvr29/ufo_sighting_in_salt_lake_valley/

quote:

Footage of a UFO fleet over Salt Lake Valley captured on Thursday, August 3rd at 9:30 PM.
This is in Suncrest. Camera is facing southwest.

My friend captured this video on his phone and we're trying to make sense of it. I'm uploading the raw footage so we can try and identify this thing.Helpful context: Thursday, August 4th, in Draper Utah, around 8:30 pm there was a HUGE lightning storm that resulted in floods and power outages. My friend and his wife were filming a ton outside because of how cool the actual storm was. Later that night, they were looking out their window when they noticed a glowing orb floating in the air. My buddy grabbed his phone and then proceeded to record. Worth noting that their electricity was out so there shouldn't be any glares from anything internally.Notable points in the video:-Orb lights up with a smaller orb behind it (0:08)-An orb fleet appears around the main orb (0:21)-3 orbs appear (0:58)-Orb heads to the far side of the valley (1:12)-Orb appears to fly down towards a plane (2:00)-Orb interacts with the plane and then reacts to the lightning (2:20)

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5-rXW9xZk

https://v.redd.it/8bm79hg4kygb1/DASH_1080.mp4

quote:

Based on this description I'm going to assume that they are looking from suncrest somewhere towards the general direction of I-15 point of the mountain and Camp Williams.

Toward the last half of the video there is what appears to be an airplane flying in a northern direction, presumably toward Salt Lake City International. Based off of the timestamp of 9:30 Mountain (3:30 UTC), there are a few flights this could be. I would need an exact timestamp to know for certain.

u/deralicious, can your friend confirm that I have the direction of the video correct? Can they also check if the video has any timestamp metadata so we know exactly what time it was? If we get that we can confirm the exact flight in the video.

EDIT: Thanks to u/deralicious for the confirmation. With this information I think we can fairly confidently say that the flight in the video is SCW2000*. ~300 kts, ~10000ft altitude, descending, heading north in the flight path to land at SLC. Plane is a SkyWest Charter CRJ-200LR. Tail number N445SW.

Just as a side note there is no other air traffic visible that would account for the other lights in this video.

If it's drones then it's very unusual for there to be 5 drones all moving in tandem with each other and emitting light.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Alright who wants to bet that The Intercept never actually publishes the story now that they got so thoroughly owned by News Nation (lmfao, pathetic)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

newsnation is basically a TV version of The Hill. they're owned by the same company and as far as i can tell have very similar angles on stories

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

It's very funny that Jeremy Scahill now gets paid by a tech billionaire who is a huge donor to the Democratic Party and works with CIA cutouts, I think that counts as selling out wholesale.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

is anyone else withholding any judgment at all until we see what the actual story is? if it’s what coulthart is saying (or if nothing comes out now) then I agree 100% with what everyone is saying about that. but I don’t just blindly believe coulthart and grusch, either…

unless I missed that there was some other independent confirmation of what the story is

Rorobb has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Aug 9, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rorobb posted:

is anyone else withholding any judgment at all until we see what the actual story is? if it’s what coulthart is saying (or if nothing comes out now) than I agree 100% with what everyone is saying about that. but I don’t just blindly believe coulthart and grusch, either…

unless I missed that there was some other independent confirmation of what the story is

Well Burchett isn't withholding judgement, he's demanding that heads start rolling:

https://twitter.com/ask_a_pol/status/1689285987535302656

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm reading this 1997 book about remote viewing by Jim Schnabel that has this section on Uri Geller that I've never come across before. it sounds made up but it's some high strangeness stuff with added hitchhiking effects that's interesting

---

One day in the lab, several members of the Livermore group were monitoring Geller during a metal-bending session. They recorded him with audiotape, filmed him with videotape, and photographed him with a variety of still cameras, including one that was sensitive to thermal infrared radiation.

After the experiment they developed all the film and saw something very strange. The infrared camera had captured what seemed to be two diffuse patches of radiation on the upper part of one of the laboratory walls. It was as if someone had briefly shone two large heat sources, either from inside the lab or outside pointing in. The patches grew in intensity for a few frames, then over the next few frames diminished to nothing.

The Livermore Group were understandably puzzled over this, but it was only the beginning of the strangeness that would soon consume them. When they checked the audiotape they had made during the experiment, they found amid everything else a distinctive, metallic-sounding voice, unheard during the actual experiment but now clearly audible, if mostly unintelligible. All they could make out were a few apparently random words strung together.

If Geller could be believed, things like this had happened before. According to one story, on several occasions when his friend Andrija Puharich had put him under hypnosis,* audiotapes of the sessions had recorded similar strange voices. Another time, at a meeting with some Mossad officers, someone’s tape recorder had suddenly seemed to start playing by itself, in full view of everyone.

In any case, Peter Crane and some of the others in the Livermore group quickly found themselves involved in more strangeness than they could handle. In the days and weeks that followed, they began to feel that they were collectively possessed by some kind of tormenting, teasing, hallucination-inducing spirit. They all would be in a laboratory together, setting up some experiment, or one of the fellows and his wife and children would be at home, just sitting around, when suddenly there in the middle of the room would be a weird, hovering, almost comically stereotypical image of a flying saucer. It was always about eight inches across, in a gray, fuzzy monochrome, as if it were some kind of hologram. The thematic connection with Geller was obvious, when one remembered that Geller claimed to be controlled by a giant computerized flying saucer named Spectra.

On the other hand, the flying saucer wasn’t the only form the Livermore visions took. There were sometimes animals—fantastic animals from the ecstatic lore of shamans—such as the large raven-like birds that were seen traipsing through the yards of several members of the group. One of them appeared briefly to a physicist named Mike Russo and his terrified wife. The two were lying around one morning when suddenly there was this giant bird staring at them from the foot of their bed.

After a few weeks of this, Russo and some of the others began seriously to wonder if they were losing their sanity. Peter Crane decided to call for help. He picked up the phone and called Richard Kennett. Kennett had visited Livermore previously, in his capacity as a CIA analyst, to ask Crane and the others about their results with Geller. He had remained close-mouthed about the CIA’s own psi research, but that had been expected. As far as Crane was concerned, Kennett was their best hope for a private, quiet solution to the problem. He had parapsychological experience, biomedical training, and high-level security access—an extremely rare set of qualifications.

On a Saturday morning not long thereafter, at the end of an otherwise unrelated trip to the San Francisco Bay Area, Kennett drove over and met with Crane in a coffee shop in the town of Livermore. Crane set out the situation for him, and soon Kennett was having long meetings with Russo and the others. They perspired, trembled, and even wept openly as they related some of the things that had happened to them. It was as if their world had collapsed around them. Nothing made sense anymore.

Kennett knew that if he took any of these stories to a regular psychiatrist, the diagnosis would be some kind of dissociative, hallucinatory, or otherwise delusional experience. Even when two or three people claimed to have shared a vision, it would almost certainly be dismissed as folie à deux, or folie à trois. Such terms were used to refer to rare group hallucinations, when one hallucinating or delusional individual had such a dominant personality that others came to believe they had seen or experienced the same thing.

Kennett didn’t rule out such explanations, but he seemed fairly convinced that something else less pat and conventional was going on. For one thing, Crane, Russo, and the others had no history of involvement in the occult, and as far as Kennett could tell, their emotional situations immediately prior to these visionary experiences hadn’t been particularly stressful or otherwise hallucinogenic. Moreover, they all had top-secret security clearances, which had required among other things that they be screened for psychological disorders.

Then there was the very strange business of the metallic voice on the audiotape. Among the few intelligible words it pronounced were two or three together which Kennett recognized as the code name of a very closely held government project. The project had nothing to do with psychic research, and neither it nor its code name was known to Crane or Russo or the others at Livermore. It was as if whoever or whatever had produced the code name on the tape had known that Kennett would soon arrive on the scene and had saved this special shiver down the spine just for him. Kennett, going by the book, reported the code name incident to the security people at the CIA, muting the outlandish details only slightly. The security people filed it away, and wondered if Dr. Kennett might be getting a little too close to his subject matter.

The situation at Livermore eventually resolved itself, after Russo complained about a telephone call from the strange metallic voice. The voice demanded that the Livermore group cease its research activities with Geller. The group did, and within a month, the bizarre apparitions faded away.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

The Demilich posted:

I'll be honest I'm never going to watch it cause I'm tired of media in general, and having remake after remake appear on the horizon is less than thrilling.

Inspector Hound posted:

This post is the sequel to your post

I'm gonna make a franchise out of these posts

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Well Burchett isn't withholding judgement, he's demanding that heads start rolling:

https://twitter.com/ask_a_pol/status/1689285987535302656

does he know something we don’t?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rorobb posted:

is anyone else withholding any judgment at all until we see what the actual story is? if it’s what coulthart is saying (or if nothing comes out now) than I agree 100% with what everyone is saying about that. but I don’t just blindly believe coulthart and grusch, either…

Naw this is UFOland, it's best to get mad about everything prematurely, jump to conclusions based on hearsay, and allege grand conspiracies. More drama the better.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Naw this is UFOland, it's best to get mad about everything prematurely, jump to conclusions based on hearsay, and allege grand conspiracies. More drama the better.

:hai:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

really surprised not to see the word puharich skimming this

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Saucer Hovers posted:

really surprised not to see the word puharich skimming this

briefly mentioned in the fourth paragraph

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

that’s fair. I should learn how to enjoy this more lol

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Caught up with the thread and thought I'd poo poo out some thoughts:

So I used to be quite a staunch sceptic about this stuff but all the latest with these under-oath hearings and whatnot has certainly made me take a step back and wonder what all this is about. I'm in a place now where I'm ready to change my worldview and believe some crazy poo poo, but, I'm gonna have to see it for myself first.

As Coulhart said, whatever the answer ends up being it will be, to a greater or lesser extent, interesting. I'm not quite yet willing to believe in extradimensional entities and captured craft on faith alone, though, and after the last few years of laughing at/pulling my hair out at chuds for doing exactly that with their q stuff and anti covid conspiracy theories etc, I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to have at this point in the proceedings.

If, as they're saying, this evidence is all about to come out shortly then great, all this wondering becomes moot; we're in a whole new world and I'm along for the ride wherever it leads, good or bad. My main question is at this stage: how long do we leave it if nothing much else comes of this until we can fairly dismiss it as yet another nothingburger? Couple of months? Six months? A year? Like, if a drive-by shitpost said

quote:

Lol guys there are no aliens you've all fallen for it yet again, quote this post in X months and we'll still be sitting here waiting to see the evidence
what is X?

How long are we to give the people making these claims to have their poo poo, before we ask them to step away and let others use the toilet? We're ready. It's frustrating as hell and makes me want to say show us the receipts already or stfu about uaps and biologics forever.

Still, at least I'm not just laughing it all off and being dismissive and closed minded about it anymore. It's such a cool mind-space to be in to allow yourself to seriously consider something fantastical could actually be real. Makes me feel like a kid again and I totally get and respect where the true believers are coming from, I'm just not there myself yet. There's still a large part of me I can't ignore that however much it wants to be wrong, kinda knows this will probably all turn out to have a very mundane explanation.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

neutral milf hotel posted:

briefly mentioned in the fourth paragraph

owned

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cactus posted:

Caught up with the thread and thought I'd poo poo out some thoughts:

So I used to be quite a staunch sceptic about this stuff but all the latest with these under-oath hearings and whatnot has certainly made me take a step back and wonder what all this is about. I'm in a place now where I'm ready to change my worldview and believe some crazy poo poo, but, I'm gonna have to see it for myself first.

As Coulhart said, whatever the answer ends up being it will be, to a greater or lesser extent, interesting. I'm not quite yet willing to believe in extradimensional entities and captured craft on faith alone, though, and after the last few years of laughing at/pulling my hair out at chuds for doing exactly that with their q stuff and anti covid conspiracy theories etc, I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to have at this point in the proceedings.

If, as they're saying, this evidence is all about to come out shortly then great, all this wondering becomes moot; we're in a whole new world and I'm along for the ride wherever it leads, good or bad. My main question is at this stage: how long do we leave it if nothing much else comes of this until we can fairly dismiss it as yet another nothingburger? Couple of months? Six months? A year? Like, if a drive-by shitpost said

what is X?

How long are we to give the people making these claims to have their poo poo, before we ask them to step away and let others use the toilet? We're ready. It's frustrating as hell and makes me want to say show us the receipts already or stfu about uaps and biologics forever.

Still, at least I'm not just laughing it all off and being dismissive and closed minded about it anymore. It's such a cool mind-space to be in to allow yourself to seriously consider something fantastical could actually be real. Makes me feel like a kid again and I totally get and respect where the true believers are coming from, I'm just not there myself yet. There's still a large part of me I can't ignore that however much it wants to be wrong, kinda knows this will probably all turn out to have a very mundane explanation.

x is a variable. e.g., quote this post in six months ten months 36 months etc

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ive been waiting* since i was eight so three decades plus get ready to ponder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

For the most part I'm deeply tired of my existence on earth.