Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Grace Lee Whitney?

Bad, but not "I've been on the show for six seasons and can we make some accomodations for me in the final season as you have done before for other actors? No? Because of spite?" bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wil Wheaton then? If that story about how he was offered a major role in a movie and Berman refused to let him have time off for it because there were major Wesley episodes coming up, only for them to be him just be on the bridge with no lines, and it was implied Berman did it on purpose because they didn't want to risk Wheaton becoming a movie star was true that is.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Wesley wasn't even as screwed over as Beverly on TNG

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

Bad, but not "I've been on the show for six seasons and can we make some accomodations for me in the final season as you have done before for other actors? No? Because of spite?" bad.

I dunno about that; wasn't she raped (or at least assaulted) by someone behind the scenes? Not that Farrell wasn't treated like poo poo but Grace Lee Whitney's is a pretty sad story.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Grace Lee Whitney?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I dunno about that; wasn't she raped (or at least assaulted) by someone behind the scenes?

And got fired because of it too.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Whitney's whole deal is devastating and it does make that one scene from Enemy Within exceptionally uncomfortable to the point I find it deeply unpleasant to watch. I remember reading somewhere Dee Kelley found her on the unemployment line in the 70s at her lowest point, telling her people always asked after her at cons.

It is nice that they thought to include her in the films, even in just in quick cameos. My favourite being the Search For Spock one where she sees the battered Enterprise float past and pulls the most perfect face like; "What the gently caress has that dickhead gotten himself into now?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Three reasons have been given by Grace Lee Whitney herself:

1. They wanted Kirk to be promiscuous/save costs and they weren't going to write off Uhura or the other blonde that was married to the boss
2. She was sexually assaulted by a producer on the show.
3. She was an alcoholic and her drinking was causing problems on set

Probably all three contributed somewhat, and 2 probably contributed to the exacerbation of 3.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MuddyFunster posted:

Whitney's whole deal is devastating and it does make that one scene from Enemy Within exceptionally uncomfortable to the point I find it deeply unpleasant to watch. I remember reading somewhere Dee Kelley found her on the unemployment line in the 70s at her lowest point, telling her people always asked after her at cons.

It is nice that they thought to include her in the films, even in just in quick cameos. My favourite being the Search For Spock one where she sees the battered Enterprise float past and pulls the most perfect face like; "What the gently caress has that dickhead gotten himself into now?"

Don't forget she showed up in "Flashback" as Excelsior's XO, too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jessie Early covers the story in some detail in her Sex in Star Trek video. As a whole that's a pro-watch, but the story is deeply uncomfortable.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I spent the best £7.99 I think I’ve ever spent.

My body is ready.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Much Bij will be experienced that day, let me tell ya h’what…

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I spent the best £7.99 I think I’ve ever spent.

My body is ready.

Did that include the cost of the VCR?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is it a game that would still work if you ripped the tape to digital and set up a randomiser on the middle segments, or does it need the set order?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The random elements of the game are the dice rolls, starting positions, drawable cards, how long players take to carry out their turn and the challenge of the Klingon Sword; the video plays out exactly the same each time. Even so with the amount of other random elements no two games should ever be the same.

Luckily the full video is on YouTube so I won’t be using the actual VHS tape.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The random elements of the game are the dice rolls, starting positions, drawable cards, how long players take to carry out their turn and the challenge of the Klingon Sword; the video plays out exactly the same each time. Even so with the amount of other random elements no two games should ever be the same.

Those darn Ferrangi's and their Laws!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Can you get like a really clean picture of the BIJ logo? You know, just for archival purposes.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Me and my buddies covered this in our podcast years ago. It's one of my favorite episodes. It's a genuinely fun game.

https://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2012/12/episode-17-star-trek-next-generation.html

(I don't intend this a shameless plug, as it is for a podcast that's been over for a few years. Just putting it out there if people want an in-depth rundown of the Bij experience.)

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
"Oh, you're so stolid! You weren't like that before the beard!" Uh, Q, mate, he was even more like that before the beard, what are you on?

Yes, Deja Q, a silly little bit of comedy featuring a race of aliens with arseholes for mouths. It's (obviously) a Q episode, he's human now, there's lots of De Lancie going about, bouncing off the various members of the crew and doing funnies. It does its job, I cracked a wry smile now and then. A single word from Worf is a showstopper.

A Matter of Perspective has a nice use for the holodeck, but it's a pretty dull whodunnit/courtroom drama with some preposterous scenes played over and over again. In the end, while YES the true killer is revealed (WHOOPS, SUCKS TO BE YOU), the whole seduction/attempted rape thing is entirely forgotten. I know the intent is probably supposed to be "she's clearly lying to cover up her clumsy seduction", but it doesn't really work without any kind of walk back. Naturally, Troi is loving useless so we never get a definitive answer beyond "that's the truth to her" or some poo poo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I had heard about Tuvix before and heard people talk about Janeway killing Tuvix, but I always assumed it was one of those things people extrapolated from the premise and that the episode itself would just be the crew figuring out how to separate them. Boy was I wrong. The ending of that episode is so goddamn uncomfortable and it is explicitly presented as an execution. Wild stuff. Is this why people think Janeway is a monster?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I had heard about Tuvix before and heard people talk about Janeway killing Tuvix, but I always assumed it was one of those things people extrapolated from the premise and that the episode itself would just be the crew figuring out how to separate them. Boy was I wrong. The ending of that episode is so goddamn uncomfortable and it is explicitly presented as an execution. Wild stuff. Is this why people think Janeway is a monster?

That’s the beginning of it but it intensifies over time. Having just watched it, “Scorpion” is another big step.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's wild right, people are always complaining about the transporter being murder or whatever and then Janeway actually goes and uses the transporter to commit murder!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm always struggling to describe Janeway, but I think the best way is to put it is that, as written, she has no moral consistency. In previous shows, the captains would often solve problems differently. Sometimes Kirk would bluff his way, use diplomacy or just use a phaser or fist to solve something. He would sometimes violate the prime directive. Despite all that, everything he did made sense with who he was as a character. Same for Picard.

With Janeway it felt she was bending to the writer's will as opposed to the writers doing what made sense for her as a character.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

nine-gear crow posted:

Can you get like a really clean picture of the BIJ logo? You know, just for archival purposes.

How’s this?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm always struggling to describe Janeway, but I think the best way is to put it is that, as written, she has no moral consistency. In previous shows, the captains would often solve problems differently. Sometimes Kirk would bluff his way, use diplomacy or just use a phaser or fist to solve something. He would sometimes violate the prime directive. Despite all that, everything he did made sense with who he was as a character. Same for Picard.

With Janeway it felt she was bending to the writer's will as opposed to the writers doing what made sense for her as a character.

Due credit to Mulgrew for putting her all into the acting no matter the writing at least.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this why people think Janeway is a monster?

Janeway has the same problem as Kirk, where people perceive her more as her fan caricature than is shown on screen.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zoux posted:

Janeway has the same problem as Kirk, where people perceive her more as her fan caricature than is shown on screen.

Nah Janeway does just do a load of insane stuff

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Mulgrew, fairly politely, has talked about how the writing for her charcter was all of the place, and she just started to play the character a bit unhinged from everything that happened to help give her character some justification for how all over the place on the page.

And yeah all credit to her, she does a hell of a job with the material she had, and turned what should of been a bit of a mess of a character into a good one with her performance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Dignity posted:

Nah Janeway does just do a load of insane stuff

IDK I watched the whole series with that expectation and it just wasn't there. Not moreso than other captains.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

If Janeway had been the one to find Tom Riker she would have shoved him back into the transporter and hit "delete"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zoux posted:

IDK I watched the whole series with that expectation and it just wasn't there. Not moreso than other captains.

She ends the show by commiting a temporal extinction event

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every "reset the timeline" story is that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Kirk certainly does kiss a lot of ladies, but more often than not it's not really "him" that's doing the kissing but some other force or entity that's controlling his body.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
From memory alpha's article on Scorpion Part 1:

quote:

Both Kate Mulgrew and Joe Menosky noticed that, by this point in the third season, the character of Janeway and the persona of the actress playing her were seeming to gravitate more towards one another and that this development appeared to be benefiting the portrayal of the Starfleet captain. Menosky commented, "In 'Scorpion Part I' [Janeway] was becoming a little more risk taking, and edgy, and frankly, a little bit more like Kate Mulgrew. I've always said, even Jeri Taylor used to always say, 'if Captain Janeway were only more like Kate, we would have a much better captain on our hands.' For whatever reason, our writing and Kate's kind of freewheeling personality seemed to come together a bit more, at the end of the [third] season." (Cinefantastique, Vol. 30, No. 9/10, p. 86) Mulgrew herself remarked that, particularly "towards the end of the season," she made some "very important breakthroughs" with becoming "much more relaxed and more allied with Janeway". (Star Trek Monthly issue 33, p. 23)

This episode marks the beginning of a development of tension in the relationship between Janeway and Chakotay that culminates in the latter character considering mutiny in the season 6 premiere, "Equinox, Part II". Kate Mulgrew was thankful for the introduction of this tension, describing it as "a very good thing to have." (Star Trek Monthly issue 33, p. 22) Shortly after completing her work on this episode, the actress commented, "There's some real heat between them, especially after the events of 'Scorpion, Part I'. It will take some time before Janeway and Chakotay can re-establish the kind of intimacy and trust they had. In the meantime, though, the tension will give the relationship a wonderful new dynamic." (The Official Star Trek: Voyager Magazine issue 14, p. 32)

Considering that Scorpion is where Janeway pulls rank on Chakotay and forces what he thinks is wrong, and is her second "crazy idea" moment after Tuvix, they (writers + Mulgrew) were definitely starting something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

How’s this?

It's perfect! Thank you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it's interesting: the manual seems to say it's BLJ but the internet has turned it into BIJ

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Arivia posted:

it's interesting: the manual seems to say it's BLJ but the internet has turned it into BIJ
I think it's b-capital i-j. Klingon is case-sensitive and uses capital letters for different phonemes (e.g. Qo'noS).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

dr_rat posted:

Mulgrew, fairly politely, has talked about how the writing for her charcter was all of the place, and she just started to play the character a bit unhinged from everything that happened to help give her character some justification for how all over the place on the page.

And yeah all credit to her, she does a hell of a job with the material she had, and turned what should of been a bit of a mess of a character into a good one with her performance.
So SFDebris’ version of Janeway is canon then

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MuddyFunster posted:

A Matter of Perspective has a nice use for the holodeck, but it's a pretty dull whodunnit/courtroom drama with some preposterous scenes played over and over again. In the end, while YES the true killer is revealed (WHOOPS, SUCKS TO BE YOU), the whole seduction/attempted rape thing is entirely forgotten. I know the intent is probably supposed to be "she's clearly lying to cover up her clumsy seduction", but it doesn't really work without any kind of walk back. Naturally, Troi is loving useless so we never get a definitive answer beyond "that's the truth to her" or some poo poo.

YOU'RE A DEAD MAN APGAR, A DEAD MAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

YOU'RE A DEAD MAN APGAR, A DEAD MAN.

I'd kind of like to see a cut of that episode where, as the final shot, Riker retires to his quarters, and just starts laughing villainously.

Hahaha...

...mwahahaha...

...BUAHAHAHA-

*credits theme*