Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I think the problem is too deep to fully work out. In Europe all the infrastructure, the culture is already here. For example, Liverpool announced this year that they're buying back Melwood, their old training grounds, and turning it into an academy and training complex for their women's team. This couldn't happen in the US where the NWSL is a collection of franchise based teams that fold and open up every few years and are rarely connected to the men's MLS teams, which means they can't secure the funding or use the infrastructure. And MLS is a poor league, quality-wise. There's also no CL equivalent in North America, so it's really difficult to find some strong club opponents to measure up to.

Changing all of this would require a long term rebuild plan and a rational set of expectations. After watching Tobin Heath's podcast today where she cried and said that 'USNWT can't compare itself to any other team' I don't think much is going to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
A different article on the Guardian:
How the USWNT can improve for 2027

quote:

• Establish an identity for the team
  • Expand the player pool
  • See players perform under pressure
  • Get everyone healthy and figure out the core
  • Optimize players’ clubs situations

Shazback fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 8, 2023

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Terminally Bored posted:

I think the problem is too deep to fully work out. In Europe all the infrastructure, the culture is already here. For example, Liverpool announced this year that they're buying back Melwood, their old training grounds, and turning it into an academy and training complex for their women's team. This couldn't happen in the US where the NWSL is a collection of franchise based teams that fold and open up every few years and are rarely connected to the men's MLS teams, which means they can't secure the funding or use the infrastructure. And MLS is a poor league, quality-wise. There's also no CL equivalent in North America, so it's really difficult to find some strong club opponents to measure up to.

Changing all of this would require a long term rebuild plan and a rational set of expectations. After watching Tobin Heath's podcast today where she cried and said that 'USNWT can't compare itself to any other team' I don't think much is going to change.

The NWSL and its players are going to have to embrace the fact that they're going to be a 2nd tier league and there's no shame in that. Canada and the US just don't have the same level of soccer/football culture that the rest of the world does and realistically never will.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

MakaVillian posted:

The NWSL and its players are going to have to embrace the fact that they're going to be a 2nd tier league and there's no shame in that. Canada and the US just don't have the same level of soccer/football culture that the rest of the world does and realistically never will.

NWSL kept a lot of the Australian internationals for a long time because the season timing allowed players to go back and play in the at-the-time W-league. All the coaching scandals probably torpedoed the league more than a general apathy towards soccer.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
We can only dream of someday enjoying the historic World Cup success level of a country with an established football culture, such as England.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Football fans are the wildest overcorrecters.The US women’s team had one bad tournament. They played a few bad games. This is not unusual.

Italy literally did not qualify for the 2018 men’s World Cup before they won the 2020 Euro.

Argentina lost to Saudi Arabia then eked out a victory against Australia before winning the 2022 men’s World Cup.

The best measure of systemic success is performance over time. You don’t overhaul the system over one bad tournament.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
1. Italy proceeded to also not qualify for the 2022 WC, so maybe not the best example.
2. The USWNT eked out a bronze medal at the last Olympics where they also finished 2nd in their group and had their first knockout game decided by penalties (beating Netherlands instead of losing to Sweden, although Sweden kicked the poo poo out of them in the opening game if the Olympics 3-0). It's definitely not a blip.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

whypick1 posted:

1. Italy proceeded to also not qualify for the 2022 WC, so maybe not the best example.
2. The USWNT eked out a bronze medal at the last Olympics where they also finished 2nd in their group and had their first knockout game decided by penalties (beating Netherlands instead of losing to Sweden, although Sweden kicked the poo poo out of them in the opening game if the Olympics 3-0). It's definitely not a blip.

idk #1 is kind of a good example of the volatility.

but i would agree that its not a blip, there's a trend that the dominance is coming to a close. i think internally the correct move is to be aware and try to course correct, but also not to knee jerk it. although the latter part depends on how you feel about the college system being the primary farm source - if you really really do not believe in it being the method to develop talent going into the future, then yeah, right now is the time to get some european style football academies set up and invest in them and start the kids as young as possible and abandon the college system. if you dont, then... you dont.

i'm saying this assuming that there are basically no football academies in the US for girls, and then maybe like 10 for boys

slorb
May 14, 2002
There's a bunch of low hanging fruit the US federation can change to make the USWNT a strong program again.

Hiring a decent coach, making the squad selection process less focused on the NWSL and less political, and ending the goofy practice of packing the development pipeline with forwards to the point that half of them end up playing out of position in defence.

I think creating a support structure for the best US prospects who skip college and go play in Europe would also get a really high return on investment.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

slorb posted:

There's a bunch of low hanging fruit the US federation can change to make the USWNT a strong program again.

Hiring a decent coach, making the squad selection process less focused on the NWSL and less political, and ending the goofy practice of packing the development pipeline with forwards to the point that half of them end up playing out of position in defence.

I think creating a support structure for the best US prospects who skip college and go play in Europe would also get a really high return on investment.

What do you mean by 'less political'?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I gotta say, its a lot more fun to watch these freakouts from the outside. All 4 olympic golds and 1 world cup won by the US included at least one game that went to extra time or pks. A bounce goes your way and you're dominant. A bounce goes against you and its time to burn it all to the ground.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Terminally Bored posted:

What do you mean by 'less political'?

From what I've heard they have a solid list of 50-60 names going into each competitive cycle, but the process of cutting that long list down to the final 23 player squad is murky as hell and not based on current club performance or performance in camps.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

FIFA heard national federations and football associations were reneging on their qualification bonuses, so FIFA promised direct payment of bonuses to players. As a result of this, Nigeria Football Federaton are reneging on their qualification bonuses owed to the Super Falcons.

https://global.espn.com/football/story/_/id/38155534/nigeria-pay-dispute-fa-world-cup-exit-fifpro

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

TDepressionEarl posted:

FIFA heard national federations and football associations were reneging on their qualification bonuses, so FIFA promised direct payment of bonuses to players. As a result of this, Nigeria Football Federaton are reneging on their qualification bonuses owed to the Super Falcons.

https://global.espn.com/football/story/_/id/38155534/nigeria-pay-dispute-fa-world-cup-exit-fifpro

Imagine being scummier than FIFA in any capacity. Jesus Christ.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

slorb posted:

I agree with almost all of this, with the sole addition that the top prospects can also go straight into the NWSL like Alyssa Thompson has.

The NWSL is no longer the obvious gold standard in terms of pro leagues it was 3-4 years ago, but it's a better league than pretty much every Euro is giving it credit for. The NWSL has a high floor due to the way it's set up. You're not going compete against a Barca or Lyon level of opponent, you're also not going to play anyone as bad as Soyaux or Meppen or pretty much 50% of La Liga Feminil. Plus, the NWSL has much better attendance (an average of close to 8k a game, with San Diego and Angel City having ~20k a game) than any of their European counterparts, meaning that it hopefully will be able to pay competitive salaries for players.

The American dominance of the sport wasn't/isn't going to last forever. Which is a good thing! It means more opportunity and support for players! But there's no reason America shouldn't be roughly equivalent to Germany or Brazil on the Men's side, a team with a massive tradition and usually in the mix of favorites.

I'd end with a link to this article by Kim McCauley and Jeff Reuter from the Athletic on their takes about the US crashing out. The TL;DR for the short term is:
* Vlatko out.
* No locked in roster spots for star players.
* Full review from the start of the player pool.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

But there's no reason America shouldn't be roughly equivalent to Germany or Brazil on the Men's side, a team with a massive tradition and usually in the mix of favorites.

Lol, lmao

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

I agree with almost all of this, with the sole addition that the top prospects can also go straight into the NWSL like Alyssa Thompson has.

The NWSL is no longer the obvious gold standard in terms of pro leagues it was 3-4 years ago, but it's a better league than pretty much every Euro is giving it credit for. The NWSL has a high floor due to the way it's set up. You're not going compete against a Barca or Lyon level of opponent, you're also not going to play anyone as bad as Soyaux or Meppen or pretty much 50% of La Liga Feminil. Plus, the NWSL has much better attendance (an average of close to 8k a game, with San Diego and Angel City having ~20k a game) than any of their European counterparts, meaning that it hopefully will be able to pay competitive salaries for players.

NWSL average attendance figures are a joke when there are 4 teams that draw and massively inflate those numbers. I'm not sure what the revenue split is like in NWSL but I'm sure the Portland owners aren't thrilled if they're shipping a ton of their profit back to Chicago who can't get more than 2500 people at a game.

NWSL also doesn't have a TV deal after this season and their big name players just ate a fat turd at the World Cup so we'll see what happens there.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Average Attendance Woman Super League 22/23

1 Arsenal 17,501
2 Manchester United 10,174
3 Manchester City 7,195
4 Chelsea 5,804
5 Liverpool 4,758
6 Aston Villa 4,199
7 Tottenham Hotspur 4,113
8 Brighton & Hove Albion 3,427
9 Everton 3,187
10 Leicester City 2,901
11 Reading 1,935
12 West Ham United 1,524

Average Attendance NWSL 2023

1 SD Wave FC 20,681
2 Angel City FC 19,401
3 Portland Thorns FC 17,318
4 KC Current 10,491
5 Washington Spirit 9,924
6 OL Reign 7,582
7 NJ/NY Gotham FC 6,255
8 Orlando Pride 6,001
9 Houston Dash 5,719
10 Racing Louisville FC 5,431
11 NC Courage 4,800
12 Chicago Red Stars 4,033

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

lomzus posted:

Average Attendance Woman Super League 22/23

1 Arsenal 17,501
2 Manchester United 10,174
3 Manchester City 7,195
4 Chelsea 5,804
5 Liverpool 4,758
6 Aston Villa 4,199
7 Tottenham Hotspur 4,113
8 Brighton & Hove Albion 3,427
9 Everton 3,187
10 Leicester City 2,901
11 Reading 1,935
12 West Ham United 1,524

Average Attendance NWSL 2023

1 SD Wave FC 20,681
2 Angel City FC 19,401
3 Portland Thorns FC 17,318
4 KC Current 10,491
5 Washington Spirit 9,924
6 OL Reign 7,582
7 NJ/NY Gotham FC 6,255
8 Orlando Pride 6,001
9 Houston Dash 5,719
10 Racing Louisville FC 5,431
11 NC Courage 4,800
12 Chicago Red Stars 4,033

clearly a joke compared to the far superior Euro figures, pack in in usailures

no one's gonna want to watch Kgatlana run circles around people in Louisville or see if Ari Borges can get another hat trick after this WC since the us national team didn't win obvs

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 9, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

56 US born players in this World Cup.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Anyway, let's get back to talking about the non-loser countries that didn't fly home like losers because they didn't lose all of their important matches....

The quarter-finals are shaping up pretty nicely with some great matchups, and I honestly think all of the eight teams left have a decent shot at making the final. IMO the top half of the draw is slightly clearer, as I think Spain and Japan are pretty good bets to advance, and I think Japan will win that semi (though Spain seem to improve with every match).

But I'm honestly struggling to pick any of the results from the other side of the draw. France-Australia feels very tight to me, even though I desperately want Australia to win. France looked great against Morocco, but some of Morocco's defensive work was pretty ordinary. Aside from the opening 20 minutes, Australia looked mostly comfortable against Denmark, and they were pretty dominant against Canada as well. I think on paper Australia have it (they also beat France 1-0 in their final pre-tournament warmup), but I think this one is razor-thin.

England vs Colombia feels like it should be clear cut, but imo it's easy to underestimate Colombia. England were pretty wretched against Nigeria and realistically should have gone out, plus their biggest star of the tournament is banned. You'd imagine they will bounce back, but Colombia definitely feel like a strong underdog contender - I think they're probably the most likely chance of an upset this round (more than Netherlands over Spain or Sweden over Japan).

But I'll probably get every prediction wrong :v:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think that's basically right, but Sweden definitely has a chance against Japan. It wasn't solely US ineptitude that sunk us.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Japan imo

Surely it won't be another hilarious blowout if Spain have learned anything, but I do think they'll also beat Spain again if it comes to that

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

joepinetree posted:

I gotta say, its a lot more fun to watch these freakouts from the outside. All 4 olympic golds and 1 world cup won by the US included at least one game that went to extra time or pks. A bounce goes your way and you're dominant. A bounce goes against you and its time to burn it all to the ground.

Kinda like Brazil on the men's side? It really is silly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

habeasdorkus posted:

I think that's basically right, but Sweden definitely has a chance against Japan. It wasn't solely US ineptitude that sunk us.

The U.S. dominated the 3rd ranked team in the world, Sweden, who played a negative game start to finnish. Their 2 best strikers, and arguably best winger still at 35, Heath, were all out injured. Maybe you should stfu about ineptitude. it's your posts, oh the ineptitude

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Spain v. Netherlands is the only game that's primetime for me the rest of the way. The rest are 2-5 a.m. from there. :(

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Mr. Mambold posted:

The U.S. dominated the 3rd ranked team in the world, Sweden, who played a negative game start to finnish. Their 2 best strikers, and arguably best winger still at 35, Heath, were all out injured. Maybe you should stfu about ineptitude. it's your posts, oh the ineptitude

I think you're swinging at someone who is basically on your side

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

no they played a negative game from start to swedish

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

vyelkin posted:

no they played a negative game from start to swedish

I can't believe my dad is on the something awful forums

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I feel like France are finally finding their groove at the right time under the International Dreamboat Hervé Renard. Australia looked good but Denmark also looked very pedestrian - tons of possession but no threat at all. France can actually score. Not sure that Australia can cope with chasing a game from behind. Should be a good one though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Call me ABE

Anyone
But
England

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hey, all of what you said is also true! Thanks for agreeing that the USWNT is fantastic, actually. I'm fine with being called inept because you haven't been paying attention to anything I've posted on the topic.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Call me ABE

Anyone
But
England

:hmmyes:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Shrapnig posted:

Call me ABE

Anyone
But
England

:hmmyes:

Currently on the Japan bandwagon.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Fun teams, such as Japan, should win and boring teams, such as Spain, should not

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Mr. Mambold posted:

These meltdowns are almost as funny as the time the US got knocked out of the 2023 World Cup.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

PostNouveau posted:

Spain v. Netherlands is the only game that's primetime for me the rest of the way. The rest are 2-5 a.m. from there. :(

usa not winning their group screwed up the schedual for both usa and the netherlands

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Mr. Mambold posted:

This is like someone flailing about the Patriots 18-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It should be bannable to talk about American football in this subforum